The Heartland Conference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footchopper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear some big names (David Armstrong, Warren Joseph, Robert Frykberg.. to name are few) are presenting at the Heartland conference in Des Moines, IA this year.

can anyone confirm this? This would be huge for the state and the school.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told that this is always one of the best state meetings in the country. I haven't heard about the faculty yet, but if it's true they are coming I highly recommend attending.

I hear some big names (David Armstrong, Warren Joseph, Robert Frykberg.. to name are few) are presenting at the Heartland conference in Des Moines, IA this year.

I believe that this is true. From what I have heard the Heartland conference is taking some new directions. They are going to a very EBM format. Most of these big names are coming to the conference due to the connections that Dr. Bevilacqua and Dr. Rogers have (especially since they did the fellowship with Dr. Armstrong.) I also have heard that Dr. Steinberg will be in the town also.

The conference will be a great opportunity for the DMU students to hear some of the biggest names in podiatry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am the moderator for the diabetes section of the Heartland Podiatry Conference. The following is the preliminary schedule for that section. I can confirm that all the lecturers below have accepted invitations to speak in Des Moines.

Diabetes Update Friday, Oct 17
130-150 "The Pathogenesis of Diabetic Foot Ulcers and Amputations" David G. Armstrong
150-210 "Treating Diabetic Foot Infections in the Age of Resistance" Warren Joseph
210-230 "Advanced Treatments for Diabetic Foot Ulcers" Michael P. DellaCorte
230-250 "Prophylactic and Curative Diabetic Foot Surgeries" Nicholas J. Bevilacqua
250-310 "The Diagnosis of Charcot Foot" Lee C. Rogers
310-330 "Limb Sparing Amputations" Robert G. Frykberg

Additionally, we have sections on forefoot surgery and trauma. On Thursday, we're having a full day of evidence-based medicine, with all lectures being in the form of a question. For example: Can sutures get wet? Which patients need DVT prophylaxis? Is it safe to ambulate on a 1st MTPJ fusion? The lecturers will review the current evidence and attempt to provide the answer. It will be good!

It would have been big for the school. But latest news circulating our class is that the Dean is boycotting the conference this year due lack of agreement on presentors.

It's rumored (cannot confirm) that our Dean is upset that his research on the relationship between vitamin D levels and charcot foot will be be allowed to be presented beside those big names listed above.

Unless he (DMU Dean) has control on whether or not the conference happens. I wouldn't let the ego of anyone sway me from attending or not attending any conference.