"The House of God" by Samuel Shem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chisel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread about the book "The House of God" by Samuel Shem.

I just started to read this book and I am really enjoying it so far. I have been told by many of the Dr's I am rotating with that it is a must read during med school.

Anyone ever read or in the process of reading it? What did you think?

To those in med school, I highly suggest reading it.

Also, I had a conference here at the Hospital and the DME started to talk about this exact book. He said that a movie was made about it and it was taped at Pennsylvania and Graduate Hospitals in Philly. He said that it was never released in theaters because it was only relevant to those in Medicine and pre screenings received a poor review. He said that it is available at some movie stores and it has been on TV before.

Anyone ever seen the movie? Was it any good?

Chisel
MS III PCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I read that book! It's really great. Another great book is "Complications" by Atul Gawande. I couldn't put it down---so good! And it paints a vivid portrait of medicine. Loved it! Definitely a recommend!

Intern Blues is also another great book....

*If you want a fictionalized story about physicians, Erich Segal's "Doctors" is priceless. It's one of my favorite novels.

Happy reading! :)

I read House of God...decent read. Intern Blue is good as well. I also read a book called Rotations (I think) which was interesting.

Chisel...I havent heard about that movie you mention but if you come across anything let me know.

I think the reason House of God gets the acclaim it does from medical people is because it allows us to laugh and joke about things that we would not laugh and joke about in front of patients, families or some attendings (notice "some").

Members don't see this ad :)
Chisel said:

I just started to read this book and I am really enjoying it so far. I have been told by many of the Dr's I am rotating with that it is a must read during med school.

Also, I had a conference here at the Hospital and the DME started to talk about this exact book. He said that a movie was made about it and it was taped at Pennsylvania and Graduate Hospitals in Philly. He said that it was never released in theaters because it was only relevant to those in Medicine and pre screenings received a poor review. He said that it is available at some movie stores and it has been on TV before.

Chisel
MS III PCOM
One of the best books I have ever read...I tell everyone med student to read it....I was amazed when I was a 3rd year in surg. clerkship and we had a pt we couldnt diuress, my chief asked how tocalculate the lasix dose, all the go getterswere calculating creatinine clearance, and they were wrong...he got to e and I said age +BUN as a joke, well he loved it and said that was the formula he was lookig for, and he wanted to know why we were the onl 2 who had read the book...hence my signature :love:

Another good one...

Body of Knowledge, by Steve Giegerich

Lots of insight about Gross Anatomy...

My 2 cents, :D
Momo

This is a must read! I just finished it. I thought is was a bit dry towards the end, but it can really open your eyes to medicine. I didn't really like all the funny names of people: eat my dust eddie, the fat man, potts, etc. After reading that book I am starting to pick up on some of the terms I hear at my hospital like Buff and Turf and gomer. I think it may turn a few people away from going into medicine, may open their eyes to the reality of being a doc.

I've heard some great things about "The House of God," but haven't read it yet. Guess this is just one more thing to add onto my to-do list for spring break.

mount misery is awesome too.... (it's the sequel to house of god where he ditches his field and goes into psychiatry)

and there is cool rules to psychiatry too just like the other poster listed...

must read for anyone considering psychiatry...

it convinced me not to go into psychiatry (not sure if this is a good thing or not)

LVDoc said:
I've heard some great things about "The House of God," but haven't read it yet. Guess this is just one more thing to add onto my to-do list for spring break.

Highly recommended reading for any physician-to-be. Although it does not reflect current medical practice, the characters are very animated and real-to-life.

Beware, however, these novels (House of God and Mount Misery) take very cynical points of view toward the medical profession. If you still think medicine is all about "helping people," you probably should not read.

If you enjoy a good laugh at times-gone-by and need a quick insight into the minds of those enduring an internship and residency, by all means. I loved them both.

PS - I have heard of the movie "The House of God." I have not seen it though. I just can't imagine how the novel would transfer well to film. I've wanted to see it just for kicks though - I might have to check out my local rare flicks store.

yeah definitely a great book.. I just started reading it.. and I loved the AGE+BUN calculation.. but the gomers never dying is sooo true in real life also.... lol

Chisel said:

Chisel
MS III PCOM
Loved this book. I have also heard about the movie, but have been unable to locate a copy.

I read the House of God during my medicine residency. I still remember on my rare night off staying up late to finish the book. I laughed so hard my sides ached, because I was experiencing in real life more toned down versions of the author's story. The 12 'rules" contain some elements of truth.

To my delight, I recently discovered the movie House of God on cable. It was never released in theaters, but has become a cult classic of sorts in video and now cable. The movie is not as good as the book. The story line does not flow smoothly as it does in the book, and would not be appreciated by people outside the health care professions. The strength of the movie is that many of the characters were played by then unknown actors who are now very famous. For example the chief medical resident was played by Joe Piscapoe. One or two of the stars of Animal House were in the movie. Some famous stand up female comics also had major roles in the film (before they were famous). So it is worth at least one viewing if you come across the movie some late night on cable.

The House of God = awesome. Reading the epiloque and autors notes are also a treat as they tell you what parts of the book are more fiction or fact.

Is the movie also titled The House of God?

I read the book for the first time a few months ago.. and now have "mount misery" on my to read list. I didn't know there was a movie. I'll have to search for it with Tivo and Tivo it.

All I could think of reading that book was thank God for the 80 hour workweek...(or rather, thank you AMSA and all the residents/interns who stood up for it). It was okay--I think it is trumped up a bit in the medical student world, and it is pretty dated, but it had its amusing moments.

Another excellent book is The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. Also, Tuesdays With Morrie is a great one to get a perspective on dying. I found Intern Blues to be kind of tedious and depressing.

Ah, reading for pleasure...I almost remember what that was like...

I have been somewhat reticent in my approach to reading house of god. Not sure how much more jaded I need to be, especially this early in the game. I've already formed enough negative opinions on the burdon of health care provision in the constrained time allowed per patient. Especially in the resident setting.

Well you really do have to approach this book with some knowledge of the medical field.. Most Med students haven't even seen patients yet and have a belief that everyone can be saved... So not true.