The "I hate the holidays" annual. 2010 Edition.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My goddamn hilljack ass neighbors have these Christmas lights strung up on their trailer that give off more light than the sun. I can't go to effing sleep. I feel like Al Bundy...tortured by that damned street light. These damned things penetrate the thickest curtains I have. If a magnifying glass tilted at just the right angle were to somehow make its way between my trailer and theirs, I may just die in a fiery blaze. Like an 8 year old frying ants on a sidewalk.

On the other hand, it's so tacky that it gives me a good chuckle every time I look at it.

....

But seriously, **** the holidays. They piss me off. Like Thanksgiving. As if the Europeans and native peoples' lived in harmony. My stupid ass racist ancestors genocided them. I wonder if the German version of the Thanksgiving fairytale tells the story of the Nazis on one side of a table and Jews on the other side of the table. Friendly chit-chat and kosher beef brisket being shared by two different, but loving people. They played a game of hide the sauerkraut or whatever the **** it is the people in Germany do and lived happily ever after. We are just really, really stupid people. No two ways about it.

But lets be honest...the fact that Americans are fat and like to eat is the real reason this holiday is popular. I'd like to show some people in North Korea or Ethiopia pictures of a Thanksgiving feast. Actually, no, I don't...that would be incredibly mean spirited. But here we are being our gleefully not introspective selves. We...actually...give "thanks" via excess. It really is the perfect holiday for the narcissism that is American values. We gorge ourselves because we enthusiastically celebrate the fact that we can.

So for the second straight year, I am refusing to eat anything on Thanksgiving. And I shall feast on a Sheetz gas station meal Friday at 12:01AM again, just like last year. I'm not claiming to be enlightened or anything...it just makes me feel like less of an ass.

.....

And then we have the ultimate nemesis. Christmas. Will you *******s ever get tired of this stupid holiday? Every damn year...the same stupid songs...the same worship of consumerism...the same 5 movies...that God damn Wonderful Christmas Time song by one of those damned hippie Beatles that gnaws at my skull worse than nails on a chalkboard. "Simply Having A Wonderful Chri...Blah!" If whichever Beatle it is who made that is dead, he died because he wrote that song. At least I hope so. It's bad enough to hate Xmas...and The Beatles...independently. But together, they create a ****storm of pissivity and generalized crotchetiness within myself that only the Pitt Panthers can match. If given the choice of rewriting history so that September 11th didn't happen or the production of that song didn't happen, I would very easily choose to snuff out the existence of that song. In fact, the terrorists probably did that **** BECAUSE of that damned evil ass song.

And I'd be okay with it if there was a way to isolate myself from it somewhere (actually there is...I go to Atlantic City on Christmas. Just me and like 15,000 Asians...I **** you not...it's amazing.) I have no problem with the stupidity of Muslims not eating when the sun is up for a month...because it doesn't affect me. But imagine if restaurants and grocery stores weren't open during Ramadan. Would that not piss you off? Well, welcome to my world. This one single ****ing day consumes everything about everything for a solid month. I don't care if your god spawned some other little minigod he decided to kill off for reasons that still make absolutely no sense whatsoever like 2000 years later. It's not worth a "holiday season." Not that its about that or anything...its really about buying **** for each other. Normally, I'd have my annual issue with that, but, **** it, the economy needs you *******s to spend your money. So go out and waste money on GPS systems and 3DHDTVs. Yay, America. Maybe you will get us out of the recession by buying your kids crap they don't need. It's not like the Republicans or Democrats will save us with their stupidity.

...

In conclusion. Bah, Humbug! I hope you have an awful Christmas time. And I hope your stupid Christmas trees die before Christmas Eve and leave little dried up needles in your carpeting. And your eggnog goes sour. And you hate all your presents and have to stand in line for hours trying to return them. Yeah. I hate all of you that much.

grinch_santa.jpg

Portrait of a ****ing HERO....that sadly went soft eventually...but like your stupid presents...its the thought that counts...and that thought is...KILL CHRISTMAS... BAH, HUMBUG!
 
As much as I generally hate the holidays and everything that goes along with it(the shopping and consumerism, 3 months of christmas music on the radio, people forgetting how to drive in snow, etc.) I think you have taken it to another level.

I think you need a hug.
 
I shall join you in your cause of a Thanksgiving fast. We're not celebrating this year because my sister has to work, so might as well get on board. Only problem I have to figure out is what to do for food come 12:01 AM. Sheetz doesn't exist in WNY. Country Fair does, but one of my psycho exes works third shift there and I would really rather just avoid her.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WVU, do you want to tell us what you really think? :laugh:

Me, I just had a bowl of instant pho and some butterscotch pudding, and then will change into some grubby clothes and head to the senior center to help with the community meal.

I just wish I could find a pharmacy job, but I'm thankful for my health and that I still have enough money to live on and that I can still give instead of needing to take.
 
Bitter, unhappy, and inability to enjoy Holidays with family and friends is no way to live a life. How you feel and view life in your twenties will change as you age. Hopefully.
 
My goddamn hilljack ass neighbors have these Christmas lights strung up on their trailer that give off more light than the sun. I can't go to effing sleep. I feel like Al Bundy...tortured by that damned street light. These damned things penetrate the thickest curtains I have. If a magnifying glass tilted at just the right angle were to somehow make its way between my trailer and theirs, I may just die in a fiery blaze. Like an 8 year old frying ants on a sidewalk.

On the other hand, it's so tacky that it gives me a good chuckle every time I look at it.

....

But seriously, **** the holidays. They piss me off. Like Thanksgiving. As if the Europeans and native peoples' lived in harmony. My stupid ass racist ancestors genocided them. I wonder if the German version of the Thanksgiving fairytale tells the story of the Nazis on one side of a table and Jews on the other side of the table. Friendly chit-chat and kosher beef brisket being shared by two different, but loving people. They played a game of hide the sauerkraut or whatever the **** it is the people in Germany do and lived happily ever after. We are just really, really stupid people. No two ways about it.

But lets be honest...the fact that Americans are fat and like to eat is the real reason this holiday is popular. I'd like to show some people in North Korea or Ethiopia pictures of a Thanksgiving feast. Actually, no, I don't...that would be incredibly mean spirited. But here we are being our gleefully not introspective selves. We...actually...give "thanks" via excess. It really is the perfect holiday for the narcissism that is American values. We gorge ourselves because we enthusiastically celebrate the fact that we can.

So for the second straight year, I am refusing to eat anything on Thanksgiving. And I shall feast on a Sheetz gas station meal Friday at 12:01AM again, just like last year. I'm not claiming to be enlightened or anything...it just makes me feel like less of an ass.

.....

And then we have the ultimate nemesis. Christmas. Will you *******s ever get tired of this stupid holiday? Every damn year...the same stupid songs...the same worship of consumerism...the same 5 movies...that God damn Wonderful Christmas Time song by one of those damned hippie Beatles that gnaws at my skull worse than nails on a chalkboard. "Simply Having A Wonderful Chri...Blah!" If whichever Beatle it is who made that is dead, he died because he wrote that song. At least I hope so. It's bad enough to hate Xmas...and The Beatles...independently. But together, they create a ****storm of pissivity and generalized crotchetiness within myself that only the Pitt Panthers can match. If given the choice of rewriting history so that September 11th didn't happen or the production of that song didn't happen, I would very easily choose to snuff out the existence of that song. In fact, the terrorists probably did that **** BECAUSE of that damned evil ass song.

And I'd be okay with it if there was a way to isolate myself from it somewhere (actually there is...I go to Atlantic City on Christmas. Just me and like 15,000 Asians...I **** you not...it's amazing.) I have no problem with the stupidity of Muslims not eating when the sun is up for a month...because it doesn't affect me. But imagine if restaurants and grocery stores weren't open during Ramadan. Would that not piss you off? Well, welcome to my world. This one single ****ing day consumes everything about everything for a solid month. I don't care if your god spawned some other little minigod he decided to kill off for reasons that still make absolutely no sense whatsoever like 2000 years later. It's not worth a "holiday season." Not that its about that or anything...its really about buying **** for each other. Normally, I'd have my annual issue with that, but, **** it, the economy needs you *******s to spend your money. So go out and waste money on GPS systems and 3DHDTVs. Yay, America. Maybe you will get us out of the recession by buying your kids crap they don't need. It's not like the Republicans or Democrats will save us with their stupidity.

...

In conclusion. Bah, Humbug! I hope you have an awful Christmas time. And I hope your stupid Christmas trees die before Christmas Eve and leave little dried up needles in your carpeting. And your eggnog goes sour. And you hate all your presents and have to stand in line for hours trying to return them. Yeah. I hate all of you that much.

grinch_santa.jpg

Portrait of a ****ing HERO....that sadly went soft eventually...but like your stupid presents...its the thought that counts...and that thought is...KILL CHRISTMAS... BAH, HUMBUG!

Wow, I really feel sorry for you. I truly hope you find happiness soon. Oh, and it's not your fault.
 
I actually like Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time." So sue me.

However, Greg Lake's "I Believe in Father Christmas" is not a Christmas song any more than Extreme's "More Than Words" is a song appropriate for weddings.

As for the Salvation Army dinner, I ended up spending only an hour there; they had so many volunteers for the clean-up, we got it done that soon! The clean-up crew also gets to take home leftovers, as do other volunteers, and I almost think that's why a lot of them do it. The demographics of the people who ate there were different, too, because the dinner was at the senior center which has apartments upstairs. Very few children and lots of really old people, unlike past years.
 
Wow, I really feel sorry for you. I truly hope you find happiness soon. Oh, and it's not your fault.

lmfao...

....

You people don't seem to understand that I'm already happy as hell on my own. And don't pity me...I'm too busy pitying everyone else for buying into this holiday crap. Christmas just pisses me the hell off. For multiple reasons. You're going to have to accept that its possible for someone to despise all of this crap based on its own vacuous merits...not because you've developed something that's wrong with me, Freud...
 
Last edited:
happy thanksgiving everyone! I hope you get to spend quality time with your family and friends!
 
George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation​

[SIZE=+2]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]W[/SIZE]hereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"
Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.
And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.


Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789.

wash_sig.gif
 
By the President of the United States of America. A Proclamation.​


The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consiousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility and Union.
In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.
Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the Unites States the Eighty-eighth.

By the President: Abraham Lincoln
William H. Seward,
Secretary of State
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well over three and a half centuries ago, strengthened by faith and bound by a common desire for liberty, a small band of pilgrims sought out a place in the New World where they could worship according to their own beliefs.. Now therefore I, Josiah Bartlett, President of The United States, by virtue of the authority and laws vested in me, do hereby proclaim this a national day of thanksgiving.
 
THANKSGIVING DAY, 1961 BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES A PROCLAMATION :
"It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord."
More than three centuries ago, the Pilgrims, after a year of hardship and peril, humbly and reverently set aside a special day upon which to give thanks to God for their preservation and for the good harvest from the virgin soil upon which they had labored. Grave and unknown dangers remained. Yet by their faith and by their toil they had survived the rigors of the harsh New England winter. Hence they paused in their labors to give thanks for the blessings that had been bestowed upon them by Divine Providence.
This year, as the harvest draws near its close and the year approaches its end, awesome perils again remain to be faced. Yet we have, as in the past, ample reason to be thankful for the abundance of our blessings. We are grateful for the blessings of faith and health and strength and for the imperishable spiritual gifts of love and hope. We give thanks, too, for our freedom as a nation; for the strength of our arms and the faith of our friends; for the beliefs and confidence we share; for our determination to stand firmly for what we believe to be right and to resist mightily what we believe to be base; and for the heritage of liberty bequeathed by our ancestors which we are privileged to preserve for our children and our children's children.
It is right that we should be grateful for the plenty amidst which we live; the productivity of our farms, the output of our factories, the skill of our artisans, and the ingenuity of our investors. But in the midst of our thanksgiving, let us not be unmindful of the plight of those in many parts of the world to whom hunger is no stranger and the plight of those millions more who live without the blessings of liberty and freedom. With some we are able to share our material abundance through our Food-for-Peace Program and through our support of the United Nations Freedom-from-Hunger Campaign. To all we can offer the sustenance of hope that we shall not fail in our unceasing efforts to make this a peaceful and prosperous world for all mankind.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOHN F. KENNEDY, President of the United States of America, in consonance with the joint resolution of Congress approved December 26, 1941, which designates the fourth Thursday in November of each year as Thanksgiving Day, do hereby proclaim Thursday, the twenty-third day of November of this year, as a day of national thanksgiving.
I urge all citizens to make this Thanksgiving not merely a holiday from their labors, but rather a day of contemplation. I ask the head of each family to recount to his children the story of the first New England thanksgiving, thus to impress upon future generations the heritage of this nation born in toil, in danger, in purpose, and in the conviction that right and justice and freedom can through man’s efforts persevere and come to fruition with the blessing of God.
Let us observe this day with reverence and with prayer that will rekindle in us the will and show us the way not only to preserve our blessings, but also to extend them to the four corners of the earth. Let us by our example, as well as by our material aid, assist all peoples of all nations who are striving to achieve a better life in freedom.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States of America to be affixed.
DONE at the City of Washington this twenty-seventh day of October in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and sixty-one, and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred and eighty-sixth.
JOHN F. KENNEDY
 
Mike, I'm right there with you. And what is all this crap about spending time with YOUR family and YOUR friends, like it has to be some sort of insular special group. What about people? Shouldn't PEOPLE give a **** about other PEOPLE? Where is the community? Why can't we spend quality time with everyone? Why does it have to be just who you know and everyone else can **** off? It's ******ed. Then you have all those people who rush off to help homeless shelters during the holidays to make themselves feel better and to be able to say they are a good person. What about the rest of the year, huh? Too busy having vacations with THEIR family and buying THEIR ****. What the ****, man. Then during the holidays people pretend to be nice to each other to "spread holiday cheer" but have no problem fighting for parking spaces or trampling over people to get an HDTV for 200 bucks. Really? Is it worth it to you to be a selfish ******* for a ****ing TV?

And damnit. You can't even get away from Christianity in a thread on SDN.
 
Last year, I spent Thanksgiving alone, and I was perfectly okay with it. After hearing all week at work about people having 20 or 30 people come to their house, most of them people they barely knew and/or didn't really want to see, I really didn't mind.
 
Last year, I spent Thanksgiving alone, and I was perfectly okay with it. After hearing all week at work about people having 20 or 30 people come to their house, most of them people they barely knew and/or didn't really want to see, I really didn't mind.

Hey man, y'all can come to my place for a good game of chess (or rummy if you prefer), some hot chocolate, and Star Trek reruns. I can snag some tamales and green chili from my mother's place 😉 Eff presents.
 
Mike, I'm right there with you. And what is all this crap about spending time with YOUR family and YOUR friends, like it has to be some sort of insular special group. What about people? Shouldn't PEOPLE give a **** about other PEOPLE? Where is the community? Why can't we spend quality time with everyone? Why does it have to be just who you know and everyone else can **** off? It's ******ed. Then you have all those people who rush off to help homeless shelters during the holidays to make themselves feel better and to be able to say they are a good person. What about the rest of the year, huh? Too busy having vacations with THEIR family and buying THEIR ****. What the ****, man. Then during the holidays people pretend to be nice to each other to "spread holiday cheer" but have no problem fighting for parking spaces or trampling over people to get an HDTV for 200 bucks. Really? Is it worth it to you to be a selfish ******* for a ****ing TV?

And damnit. You can't even get away from Christianity in a thread on SDN.

You miss the point entirely, though shocked I am not. The purpose of Thanksgiving is to take a day to reflect on your good fortune to live in the United States of America. Gratitude is one of the key ingredients of happiness. There is a direct relationship between gratitude and happiness. That's why religious people tend to be happier than non believers. It has nothing to do with the religious beliefs. It has to do with the fact that religion inculcates gratitude (they key ingredient in happiness) into its practitioners.

I don't think the USA is utopia, nor is it perfect, nor is every part of our history without blemish. What I do think is there is no other place on this planet where you live with the same freedoms we have here. It's why my great grandparents came here a hundred years ago with nothing and three generations later I am earning six figures and it's why people come here every day. It's a place where you can make a better life for yourself and your family.

So next year, take a moment to reflect on the blessings you have that you live in a land where you don't have to like Thanksgiving and you can go on line and bitch about the country and its observances without the police showing up to question you. Or, you can move your ungrateful ass to a more suitable locale like China, Russia, Venezuela or any other place on this planet that is so much better than here.
 
You miss the point entirely, though shocked I am not. The purpose of Thanksgiving is to take a day to reflect on your good fortune to live in the United States of America. Gratitude is one of the key ingredients of happiness. There is a direct relationship between gratitude and happiness. That's why religious people tend to be happier than non believers. It has nothing to do with the religious beliefs. It has to do with the fact that religion inculcates gratitude (they key ingredient in happiness) into its practitioners.

I don't think the USA is utopia, nor is it perfect, nor is every part of our history without blemish. What I do think is there is no other place on this planet where you live with the same freedoms we have here. It's why my great grandparents came here a hundred years ago with nothing and three generations later I am earning six figures and it's why people come here every day. It's a place where you can make a better life for yourself and your family.


So next year, take a moment to reflect on the blessings you have that you live in a land where you don't have to like Thanksgiving and you can go on line and bitch about the country and its observances without the police showing up to question you. Or, you can move your ungrateful ass to a more suitable locale like China, Russia, Venezuela or any other place on this planet that is so much better than here.

👍 🙂
 
What is more American than invading a land and killing off a native culture which clashes with ours, overindulging and gluttony, and going all capitalistic the day after. Why do you hate amerika! Sit down and eat your factory-farmed turkey you dirty communist.
 
Hey man, y'all can come to my place for a good game of chess (or rummy if you prefer), some hot chocolate, and Star Trek reruns. I can snag some tamales and green chili from my mother's place 😉 Eff presents.

I've never played chess or rummy, and have never gotten into Star Trek. I do, however, like hot chocolate and the tamales and green chili sound great!
 
You miss the point entirely, though shocked I am not. The purpose of Thanksgiving is to take a day to reflect on your good fortune to live in the United States of America. Gratitude is one of the key ingredients of happiness. There is a direct relationship between gratitude and happiness. That's why religious people tend to be happier than non believers. It has nothing to do with the religious beliefs. It has to do with the fact that religion inculcates gratitude (they key ingredient in happiness) into its practitioners.

That...

...is pretty stupid.

Thanksgiving isn't a patriotic holiday.

It is a holiday designed to "give thanks" to Mother Nature/God/Zenu/Kanye West for her/his bountiful harvest that year. That's all.

And, in typical American fashion, we do that by gorging ourselves fully knowing that there are hungry people elsewhere. You show your thankfulness of not being born in the third world by eating a **** ton of turkey. Such a wondrous holiday. You don't show thanks by pampering yourself. That is just idiotic. I just can't participate in a holiday like that. Y'all go ahead and live a life with no introspection. That's on you.
 
Last edited:
what amazes me is that the man who was trampled still took off with the other shoppers. He can't be stop!
 
what amazes me is that the man who was trampled still took off with the other shoppers. He can't be stop!

It's as American as it gets. Trampling each other to save $100 on an HDTV. Just ignoring that man screaming in pain as other idiots walk all over him...there's an Xbox 40% off in the electronics section...if you don't get it, someone else will. **** my own personal health! I got to get to that electronics section!

It's seriously a microcosm of our entire culture. Me...me...me. All about me. A day to give thanks for what the world has done...for YOU. Maybe we should have ****sgiving. We could observe and appreciate the miserable world we actually live in. Perhaps a day where we take our collective heads out of the sand and gleefully spend the money we'd usually spend on buying useless **** for each other for the Xmas arms race on trying to...I don't know...end world hunger...or buy AIDS medications for people in Africa...you know...**** that actually matters.

It's an amazing thing...they say you get more conservative when you get older...nah...I'm apparently the opposite. I just feel guilt about being a part of this stupidity. This rat race fueled consumerist **** is just ****ed. You try to separate yourself from it...but, really, you can't. You're trapped. We laugh at people coming into our pharmacies for doing anything to get their fix...****, I've never seen a Vicodin addict trample someone at Kroger...

You'd think that after one woman was killed last year they'd stop this black Friday bull****. Nope. They just figure its not good for the bottom line. People still go out there. They still rush the doors. They don't care what their actions do...as long as its good for them and their families...

Seriously...a ****ing microcosm...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's as American as it gets. Trampling each other to save $100 on an HDTV. Just ignoring that man screaming in pain as other idiots walk all over him...there's an Xbox 40% off in the electronics section...if you don't get it, someone else will. **** my own personal health! I got to get to that electronics section!

It's seriously a microcosm of our entire culture. Me...me...me. All about me. A day to give thanks for what the world has done...for YOU. Maybe we should have ****sgiving. We could observe and appreciate the miserable world we actually live in. Perhaps a day where we take our collective heads out of the sand and gleefully spend the money we'd usually spend on buying useless **** for each other for the Xmas arms race on trying to...I don't know...end world hunger...or buy AIDS medications for people in Africa...you know...**** that actually matters.

It's an amazing thing...they say you get more conservative when you get older...nah...I'm apparently the opposite. I just feel guilt about being a part of this stupidity. This rat race fueled consumerist **** is just ****ed. You try to separate yourself from it...but, really, you can't. You're trapped. We laugh at people coming into our pharmacies for doing anything to get their fix...****, I've never seen a Vicodin addict trample someone at Kroger...

You'd think that after one woman was killed last year they'd stop this black Friday bull****. Nope. They just figure its not good for the bottom line. People still go out there. They still rush the doors. They don't care what their actions do...as long as its good for them and their families...

Seriously...a ****ing microcosm...

**** that **** man, I'm gonna sit at home on my cosy suede chair and get better deals online.

This is my problem with the Black Friday sales. At the stores, they only keep like 10-40 of those key items in stock. If the store doesn't care about safety, they'll let people bum rush the door at opening time and the first people to grab the items get it. If they do care about safety, they'll hand out vouchers for those items along an assembled line outside the store. (But now, only people who are gonna get the good items are those *******s who have no lives, who show up at the store like 10 hours before it opens.)
 
For those critical of consumerism, I can't disagree. For those who think we should be devoting more resources to solving problems like world hunger and helping those less fortunate than us, I can't disagree with that either. But, I don't know that "helping others" and "celebrating holidays with family" are mutually exclusive. Simply enjoying the holiday season and liking to buy gifts for friends and family does not make someone a consumerist, self centered jerk, does it?

I'm interested to know what those of you who have these concerns are personally doing to help others and make the world a better place. It's easy to complain on the internet but you do practice what you preach IRL?
 
I have no problem with the stupidity of Muslims not eating when the sun is up for a month...because it doesn't affect me. But imagine if restaurants and grocery stores weren't open during Ramadan. ...
grinch_santa.jpg

Portrait of a ****ing HERO....that sadly went soft eventually...but like your stupid presents...its the thought that counts...and that thought is...KILL CHRISTMAS... BAH, HUMBUG!

Are there any posters from the Detroit area? I've heard that you do see some of this in the Dearborn area, which has a huge Muslim population, and similar things are seen in predominantly Jewish areas.
 
These scenes of people being trampled in the wee hours reminds me of a classic news wirephoto (that I looked for online and couldn't find, unfortunately) of a box office in the early 1970s where people were getting tickets for an upcoming Grand Funk Railroad concert. In those pre-Ticketmaster days, this was how you had to get them, and in this picture, the area was so crowded, people could only leave the area by being passed over the heads of those waiting in line. 😱

I worked at Target in the early 1980s during the Cabbage Patch craze. That was absolutely nuts, especially because it was being done primarily by adults.
 
I agree with some of the sentiments above, but not entirely. As A4MD said, the holiday was a chance to hang out with the family, and I know I have a way better time of it with the break from school and work, and the same for everyone else in my family.

We gave food to the local pantry (do every month), and we didn't talk about pilgrims and Indians, or how much we were going to save on a massive TV (like we can even afford one).

Instead we talked about how this is a time when we try to make sure people who don't always have food definitely have a warm place to come in, and a warm plate waiting for them.

I'm not saying we're extra good in any way, but I am saying you don't have to hate a holiday, or a family that appreciates the break from the stress of our everyday obligations.
 
B and A4MD, you do make a valid point. I guess it just upsets me when I see so many people suffering day to day and I don't see people rushing out to help them, especially those that CAN help others and choose not to. Yes, family and friends are important. I just think some people should work on trying to be more receptive and welcoming to others, especially to those not fortunate to have a family or have friends. Just sayin...

Sorry for my rant. Black Friday just depresses me. Watching people be so selfish as they trample over others to get to a TV makes me ill.
 
Are there any posters from the Detroit area? I've heard that you do see some of this in the Dearborn area, which has a huge Muslim population, and similar things are seen in predominantly Jewish areas.

On Steinway St in Astoria here in NYC, it's generally an arab neighborhood for like a 2 square block section. During the daytime, most of the stores are closed. But if they're open, they're not getting much business, even the hookah bars because you're not supposed to smoke while fasting either. However, once the sun goes down, the area gets flooded with people and all the restaurants are crazy busy, no place to find parking, music being played very loud, all until 4-5AM in the morning.
 
On Steinway St in Astoria here in NYC, it's generally an arab neighborhood for like a 2 square block section. During the daytime, most of the stores are closed. But if they're open, they're not getting much business, even the hookah bars because you're not supposed to smoke while fasting either. However, once the sun goes down, the area gets flooded with people and all the restaurants are crazy busy, no place to find parking, music being played very loud, all until 4-5AM in the morning.

It does seem like that would be easy to circumvent. Just become a night person and sleep during the day. Problem solved.
 
What is more American than invading a land and killing off a native culture which clashes with ours, overindulging and gluttony, and going all capitalistic the day after. Why do you hate amerika! Sit down and eat your factory-farmed turkey you dirty communist.

You should pack up and go somewhere else where they treat people better than here. It amazes me that people soak up the freedom here take advantage of everything that America has to offer and then piss all over it because it's not perfect, and it's not. You should take your six figure income and get the hell out of here and practice pharmacy in Somalia or anyplace outside of this sick culture so you don't have to hide in your house on black Friday because you might be trampled on going shopping.

Sad, truly sad....
 
Last edited:
That...

...is pretty stupid.

Thanksgiving isn't a patriotic holiday.

It is a holiday designed to "give thanks" to Mother Nature/God/Zenu/Kanye West for her/his bountiful harvest that year. That's all.

And, in typical American fashion, we do that by gorging ourselves fully knowing that there are hungry people elsewhere. You show your thankfulness of not being born in the third world by eating a **** ton of turkey. Such a wondrous holiday. You don't show thanks by pampering yourself. That is just idiotic. I just can't participate in a holiday like that. Y'all go ahead and live a life with no introspection. That's on you.

Mikey, as smart as you are, you really want to play with me. You can do better than this. But since you want to play the simpleton. I'll go along. First we don't have a single harvest anymore. It's a different society. So just because we don't have a harvest does not mean we should not show gratitude for the benefits we have in living here. And while the founders ran the gamut of belief from theist (Washington/Adams) to deist (Jefferson) to atheist (Paine/Franklin) they proclaimed a day of thanksgiving to thank God for the bounty of this land. Whether you believe in God or not you should still stop and take a moment to be thankful you live here and not in Iran, China, Somalia, Afghanistan, or some other third world hell hole. So be thankful you live in the freest most prosperous place in the history of the world. If you don't want to eat Turkey or go shopping, in America you are free to sit in your double wide and watch football all day. Just stop bitching about it.

As for whether it's patriotic or not, everything the founders did was patriotic. They founded a nation and fought for it's freedom from the British. It was all about patriotism to them. That's why Lincoln was all about preserving the Union.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
B and A4MD, you do make a valid point. I guess it just upsets me when I see so many people suffering day to day and I don't see people rushing out to help them, especially those that CAN help others and choose not to. Yes, family and friends are important. I just think some people should work on trying to be more receptive and welcoming to others, especially to those not fortunate to have a family or have friends. Just sayin...

Sorry for my rant. Black Friday just depresses me. Watching people be so selfish as they trample over others to get to a TV makes me ill.

So just why do you think this is? Is this a new phenomenon? When did it start? Has it been getting worse? Since when?
 
Mikey, as smart as you are, you really want to play with me. You can do better than this. But since you want to play the simpleton. I'll go along. First we don't have a single harvest anymore. It's a different society. So just because we don't have a harvest does not mean we should not show gratitude for the benefits we have in living here. And while the founders ran the gamut of belief from theist (Washington/Adams) to deist (Jefferson) to atheist (Paine/Franklin) they proclaimed a day of thanksgiving to thank God for the bounty of this land. Whether you believe in God or not you should still stop and take a moment to be thankful you live here and not in Iran, China, Somalia, Afghanistan, or some other third world hell hole. So be thankful you live in the freest most prosperous place in the history of the world. If you don't want to eat Turkey or go shopping, in America you are free to sit in your double wide and watch football all day. Just stop bitching about it.

As for whether it's patriotic or not, everything the founders did was patriotic. They founded a nation and fought for it's freedom from the British. It was all about patriotism to them. That's why Lincoln was all about preserving the Union.

Minor point, but I thought both Payne and Franklin were Deist. I thought Franklin even admitted toward the end of his autobiography, though I could be mixing up historical figures.

Regarding Washington's statement: it was something simple and beautiful, and non-denominational. Washington was Christian, but his statement was not. Though I would like to say Freemasonry played a role in his writing that statement for all people, I can't.

What I can say is that he gave that statement during the first year of his presidency, when war was a recent memory. He didn't talk about Indians and Pilgrims and how they magically got along and ate corn and turkey. It was almost a sigh of relief. "Thank God for stability."

Profound statements from heads of countries are almost extinct now. But perhaps so, too, are feelings of gratitude for being in a country where one's chief complaint for the day might be about bad cell phone signal or the wait time in a drive-through.
 
Lazy Longtime Lurker here...

I read in an email below - and was inspired to come out of hibernation.

"When charity and courtesy are superficial, then it is
neither charity nor courtesy but deceit and vanity
"
St. Ignatius of Loyola
 
You should pack up and go somewhere else where they treat people better than here. It amazes me that people soak up the freedom here take advantage of everything that America has to offer and then piss all over it because it's not perfect, and it's not. You should take your six figure income and get the hell out of here and practice pharmacy in Somalia or anyplace outside of this sick culture so you don't have to hide in your house on black Friday because you might be trampled on going shopping.

Sad, truly sad....

What is wrong with criticizing your Country and why must I move to a third world country if I'm critical of my home? Their a ton wrong with what the US as a whole is doing and where it's headed. We are stuck in 2 wars we should never have started in the first place, and our international polices are creating more enemies. The politicians and wealthy are consolidating power and wealth by using religion, xenophobia and love of capitalism. The general public is too stupid or doesn't even care to stop it. Trust me, I'm always looking for opportunities to leave to a place which are more in line with my political and social views (Canada, Scandinavia, Australia etc.)