The "I hate the holidays" annual. 2010 Edition.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mikey, as smart as you are, you really want to play with me. You can do better than this. But since you want to play the simpleton. I'll go along. First we don't have a single harvest anymore. It's a different society. So just because we don't have a harvest does not mean we should not show gratitude for the benefits we have in living here. And while the founders ran the gamut of belief from theist (Washington/Adams) to deist (Jefferson) to atheist (Paine/Franklin) they proclaimed a day of thanksgiving to thank God for the bounty of this land. Whether you believe in God or not you should still stop and take a moment to be thankful you live here and not in Iran, China, Somalia, Afghanistan, or some other third world hell hole. So be thankful you live in the freest most prosperous place in the history of the world. If you don't want to eat Turkey or go shopping, in America you are free to sit in your double wide and watch football all day. Just stop bitching about it.

As for whether it's patriotic or not, everything the founders did was patriotic. They founded a nation and fought for it's freedom from the British. It was all about patriotism to them. That's why Lincoln was all about preserving the Union.

China is not a third world hell hole anymore and neither is Iran. Only thing that would hold me back from moving to China is that I don't want to learn Chinese.

Iran. The people you see on the news clamoring for a rebellion are the students in the capital city and the wealthy class in Iran. The lower class and the farmers (who are the majority of the population) are quite happy with the leaders in Iran.
 
What is wrong with criticizing your Country and why must I move to a third world country if I'm critical of my home? Their a ton wrong with what the US as a whole is doing and where it's headed. We are stuck in 2 wars we should never have started in the first place, and our international polices are creating more enemies. The politicians and wealthy are consolidating power and wealth by using religion, xenophobia and love of capitalism. The general public is too stupid or doesn't even care to stop it. Trust me, I'm always looking for opportunities to leave to a place which are more in line with my political and social views (Canada, Scandinavia, Australia etc.)

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.....
 
China is not a third world hell hole anymore and neither is Iran. Only thing that would hold me back from moving to China is that I don't want to learn Chinese.

Have fun trying to post on SDN from there. Or trying to know anything about what's going on in the rest of the world. Hope you don't want kids, either.

China may not be as bad as it was 50 years ago, but it is by no means an ideal place to live, language barrier aside.

Iran. The people you see on the news clamoring for a rebellion are the students in the capital city and the wealthy class in Iran. The lower class and the farmers (who are the majority of the population) are quite happy with the leaders in Iran.

Would you be happy there?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have fun trying to post on SDN from there. Or trying to know anything about what's going on in the rest of the world. Hope you don't want kids, either.

China may not be as bad as it was 50 years ago, but it is by no means an ideal place to live, language barrier aside.

Ah yes, forgot about the offspring limit.

Would you be happy there?

My religious sect is in power in Iran, so I wouldn't have to worry much about religious persecution. However, I'm not the most religious person, so... as a 23 year old single male, no I wouldn't be happy. As a 45 year old married male, yeah I'd be happy.

I have 1 main problem with the US.

#1 - Get rid of the ****ing speed limits on the highways/freeways and be like Germany.
 
Last edited:
I have 2 main problems with the US.

#1 - Get rid of the ****ing speed limits on the highways/freeways and be like Germany.
There are speed limits in places and on certain parts of the Autobahn. What you fail to point out is that if you have an accident and you are going more than 80 mph, your insurance pays ZERO......
 
Did not know that. The insurance paying zero, is that in Germany or is that here?

In Deutchland. The last time I was there a friend picked me up and I held on for dear life at 240 KPH (about 150 mph) in a two seater convertible sports car.
 
....

In conclusion. Bah, Humbug! I hope you have an awful Christmas time. And I hope your stupid Christmas trees die before Christmas Eve and leave little dried up needles in your carpeting. And your eggnog goes sour. And you hate all your presents and have to stand in line for hours trying to return them. Yeah. I hate all of you that much.

grinch_santa.jpg

Portrait of a ****ing HERO....that sadly went soft eventually...but like your stupid presents...its the thought that counts...and that thought is...KILL CHRISTMAS... BAH, HUMBUG!


oh, come on now. Wham's Last Christmas doesn't even rise your holiday spirit? A Christmas break up/eff you song that gets played in the middle of a string of these cheesy, heartfelt and warm Xmas classics on the radio??
 
I think what I'm most thankful for is that the older I get, the more the immature cynic in me dies. I used to be so angry about so much, but for what? It seems like the attitude of the Internet just breeds cynicism. I got sucked in for most of my teenage life, but at 25, at least I'm starting to see life for what it really is (and isn't.) If there's something to be cynical about, it's the negativity of everyone around us. "Let's not enjoy anything, because inevitably someone linked to myself butt****ed someone else." Great attitude that will a) leave me miserable, and b) not benefit anyone, both simultaneously. Seems more selfish than just enjoying yourself blissfully unaware. Self-loathing is so in these days.

Have you ever been to a third-world poverty-stricken area? It isn't pleasant. I've been to Puerto Vallarta twice, but never to vacation; I spent time in the surrounding mountains and poorer areas (i.e. everything that is one block removed from the coastal hotels), talking with and serving people there who literally have no identity, as they are born and abandoned in garbage dumps with no birth certificate of any kind. (Note: didn't type that to elate myself, just to make a point...read on!) Will you find that here when you visit a comparable vacation area? No, you will not. There's poverty here, but not remotely close to that scale. That's something to be thankful for. And while I feel horrible every time I remember the months of my life spent in areas like that, there's no reason to let it ruin my life, as I'm not the one responsible for creating those conditions and situations. I didn't build the Berlin Wall. I didn't enslave Africans. I didn't shoot students in Tiananmen Square. These are horrible, horrible tragedies that have occurred in the history of the world, as well as the USA. And I'm all for a real holiday that would serve as some sort of remembrance/action for undoing the evils others have committed/providing a better life for those in need. More importantly, I'm for more than just one day of this kind of thing. But the fact is, I'm one guy who is trying to make a difference in the world that I can, yet I refuse to let some sort of contrived-guilt ruin for me what others have worked so hard for. That is why I'll eat some turkey with no guilt, and celebrate with the family I get to see once or twice a year.

I don't want to put anyone down here, as most everyone has made valid points; I just want to say life is too short to spend pissing and moaning about things you aren't willing to change/are unable to change. The corruptions of this world are large, and our actions can definitely help change them. But self-protests where you struggle with your own conscience will not help the people in need. Don't serve because it makes you "feel" good; serve others because it is good.

...oh yeah, black friday sucks. Idealistically, I love Christmas. Realistically, meh. I try to find the happy medium.
 
China is not a third world hell hole anymore and neither is Iran. Only thing that would hold me back from moving to China is that I don't want to learn Chinese.

You must be a man. Women have almost no rights in either country, and most men don't fare a whole lot better. Probably 90% of the Chinese population STILL lives in, as you put it, a 3rd world hellhole.
 
I don't want to put anyone down here, as most everyone has made valid points; I just want to say life is too short to spend pissing and moaning about things you aren't willing to change/are unable to change. The corruptions of this world are large, and our actions can definitely help change them. But self-protests where you struggle with your own conscience will not help the people in need. Don't serve because it makes you "feel" good; serve others because it is good.

...oh yeah, black friday sucks. Idealistically, I love Christmas. Realistically, meh. I try to find the happy medium.

A very positive, mind provoking post 👍 thanks!
 
Is this holiday dead yet?

This month needs to hurry the hell up and happen. It's only the 8th? Really? Why the hell is it that December seems longer than May, June, and July combined?

Because that damn music has been playing since Nov. 26.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
oh, come on now. Wham's Last Christmas doesn't even rise your holiday spirit? A Christmas break up/eff you song that gets played in the middle of a string of these cheesy, heartfelt and warm Xmas classics on the radio??

You probably enjoy Celtic Thunder a lot more than Wham.

[YOUTUBE]pcH4ohugx8E[/YOUTUBE]
 
So for a total thread hijacking attempt... Sparda, how're you liking Cataclysm?

Pretty good, but I'm not happy that they are removing the Kingslayer achievement (after killing the Lich King). I'm still a lowly Level 60 Rogue. I'm on the Korgrath realm, character name is Galadril. I'm somewhere in the Hellfire Peninsula.
 
Last edited:
Pretty good, but I'm not happy that they are removing the Kingslayer achievement (after killing the Lich King). I'm still a lowly Level 60 Rogue. I'm on the Korgrath realm, character name is Galadril. I'm somewhere in the Hellfire Peninsula.

Ah, PvP realm. I know of someone there. I won't do PvP though. Though I haven't played her yet, I just rolled a goblin warlock named Pyxis. :laugh: My mains are 81 undead mage (arcane spec) and 80 tauren druid (dual spec resto/boomkin).
 
CHRISTMAS SUCKS!
👍

Heartwarming X-mas story #1: spending the holidays with the current family alcoholic, who happened to be "in recovery." Out of respect for the poor suffering victim of an insidious addiction, booze was forbidden, so we were compelled to get through X-mas dinner and the rest of our stay without the cheering effects of cognitive impairment. Meantime, the "recovering" alcoholic was going behind the furnace pounding back the Crown Royal, coming back upstairs reeking of mouthwash.
 
Holidays are the best, you get off of school and you get PRESENTS!!! What more can you ask for? lol....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad