The importance of having a blackberry/iPhone or any smartphone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iPodtosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are alot of handy medical resource apps out there for these phones; and I've heard, and seen people using it at certain circumstances. A few colleagues suggested that I really should get a new phone with apps like that as it will help me in medical school.
I know those can be useful, but is it really necessary for a med student? If it's gonna make studying alot easier, sure I'll get it. But I would like to get some opinions from current med students, how many times in your med school career have you actually thought it would be a great thing to have and how many times you just think it's redundant?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There are alot of handy medical resource apps out there for these phones; and I've heard, and seen people using it at certain circumstances. A few colleagues suggested that I really should get a new phone with apps like that as it will help me in medical school.

I know those can be useful, but is it really necessary for a med student? no

If it's gonna make studying alot easier, sure I'll get it. But I would like to get some opinions from current med students, how many times in your med school career have you actually thought it would be a great thing to have and how many times you just think it's redundant? never
Thanks

If you think about getting a 500$++ phone to use if for flash cards or whatever apps. you are thinking about you clearly have the wrong priorities for what to get as study material.

Do you commute 3 hours every day? Maybe then it would be worth it. But getting these things if you don't and study at home or at the library where you can have your books and your computer with you its a waste of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know those can be useful, but is it really necessary for a med student? If it's gonna make studying alot easier, sure I'll get it. But I would like to get some opinions from current med students, how many times in your med school career have you actually thought it would be a great thing to have and how many times you just think it's redundant?
Thanks

never have I thought " damn i wish i had an iphone so i could look at some flashcards right now." I dont even have an ipod or mp3 player of any sort. Maybe I'm a weird one. I will admit that having an ipod (even an a nano or something small) would be pretty cool b/c if you like to exercise or run or whatever you can listen to a lecture while you do it. But iphone? definitely not necessary. The ipod isnt even necessary, but would be more useful than the phone i think.

Moving to Pre-allo.

As a general rule, the allo forum is for current medical students not pre-meds (even those who've been accepted). Many med students frequent the pre-med forums and can answer your questions there. Thanks.

My school requires third and fourth years to have a PDA. They allow certain phones to act as your PDA, but currently not an iPhone. See link

I will be getting a new smartphone before school starts, but since my 2 year contract will expire before then, I'm just getting whatever seems like the best deal!
http://student.medicine.iu.edu/technology/pdaspec20092010.htm

Sony ericsson xperia x10, baby!!!!!!
Woooooo!!!!