The Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petomed

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does being offered an interview mean whatever MCAT / GPA deficiencies I may have are no longer of concern at that school? Of course I expect to be asked certain questions in this regard during the interview. But does being offered the interview mean I'm now more or less on the same playing field as everyone else who's been offered an interview? Or do I need to really rock the interview to provide just one more reason for them to look past my MCAT / GPA deficiencies that are still front of mind for the adcom?

Just wondering at what point the low stats fall to the wayside, if that's a thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Does being offered an interview mean whatever MCAT / GPA deficiencies I may have are no longer of concern at that school? Of course I expect to be asked certain questions in this regard during the interview. But does being offered the interview mean I'm now more or less on the same playing field as everyone else who's been offered an interview? Or do I need to really rock the interview to provide just one more reason for them to look past my MCAT / GPA deficiencies that are still front of mind for the adcom?

Just wondering at what point the low stats fall to the wayside, if that's a thing.
It kind of depends on the school and their process, honestly. Some schools the interviewers are blinded to this data about you, and some they are not. Some it may be certain interviewers but not others.

However, most schools at the FINAL stages, will of course be looking at the entire package, your stats AND your interviews. So getting an interview and doing well doesn't mean admission is certain, the stats can still bite you and put you below others.

The only generalization that can be made when you are offered an interview, is that despite anything else in your app, you have a real shot at admittance. Schools don't bother to interview applicants they are not seriously considering having in the student body. Unfortunately it is also a practice to interview for the waitlist, so seriously considering having you in the student body is not synonymous with it being given that they might offer you a slot.

I would take it as, you have a real shot at this school and take it seriously accordingly. Do your best. Be prepared to be asked anything about your app, and also be prepared for certain stats or deficiencies not to come up at all, as either is possible and without knowing the school's policy. I think the common wisdom is still not to bring it up first yourself, let the interviewer do that.

Reactions: 1 users
Does being offered an interview mean whatever MCAT / GPA deficiencies I may have are no longer of concern at that school?
Usually, but not always. My own Adcom have rejected or waitlisted people when someone said"Nice kid, but I'm concerned about that MCAT/GPA". Sometime an interesting looking person gets an invite to see if they can impress us more than the usual applicant.

Of course I expect to be asked certain questions in this regard during the interview. But does being offered the interview mean I'm now more or less on the same playing field as everyone else who's been offered an interview?
Pretty much.
Or do I need to really rock the interview to provide just one more reason for them to look past my MCAT / GPA deficiencies that are still front of mind for the adcom?
School specific,
Just have a little faith in yourself, OK?

Now go read these:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It kind of depends on the school and their process, honestly. Some schools the interviewers are blinded to this data about you, and some they are not. Some it may be certain interviewers but not others.

However, most schools at the FINAL stages, will of course be looking at the entire package, your stats AND your interviews. So getting an interview and doing well doesn't mean admission is certain, the stats can still bite you and put you below others.

The only generalization that can be made when you are offered an interview, is that despite anything else in your app, you have a real shot at admittance. Schools don't bother to interview applicants they are not seriously considering having in the student body. Unfortunately it is also a practice to interview for the waitlist, so seriously considering having you in the student body is not synonymous with it being given that they might offer you a slot.

I would take it as, you have a real shot at this school and take it seriously accordingly. Do your best. Be prepared to be asked anything about your app, and also be prepared for certain stats or deficiencies not to come up at all, as either is possible and without knowing the school's policy. I think the common wisdom is still not to bring it up first yourself, let the interviewer do that.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I fully appreciate that this could be my only interview and will be treating it as such.

Just have a little faith in yourself, OK?
Easier said than done.

Just based on past interview and feedback experiences, I was informed that what kept me getting the A was not how my interview went but rather them going back and nitpicking my primary and keeping me out due to the low clinical hours I had going into the process. I don't know how applicable that info is to all interviews, but that is what I heard back with from 2 schools. I was told that the nitpicking was due to my overall score being so close to others with only limited spots left at that time that they were basically scouring for a reason to choose one applicant over the other. So, if the interview is stellar and not average and your overall score/impression with the school is really high, they may not need to go back and nitpick for you, it all just depends on where the cards fall for each school this cycle.

It really depends. At a couple interviews I had it was painfully obvious they had no intention of accepting me despite being invited. It's infuriating but kind of a roll of the dice.

Med schools, businesses, etc. don't like to waste their time. If you got an interview your foot is in the door. 'Nuff said.
Good luck

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Med schools, businesses, etc. don't like to waste their time. If you got an interview your foot is in the door. 'Nuff said.
Good luck
I have been told by people on multiple adcoms that isn't always true. Occasionally someone gets in that they didn't really want.

This blog has a discussion about applying to medical school and how it can be a unique process to you (also specifically about women in medicine)