The Interviews and the Right Answer's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here is my question.

My g/f who recently got into med school, and several friends in proffesional school, all seem to say, for the interviews, tell the adcoms "What the want to hear". I understand what they mean, but my personality isn't very conductive to that, as I am quite opinionated, and truly believe that "What they want to hear" isnt always the right awnser.

This is just an example of what I mean...

A traditional question is "Who is the most important person in a (vet) hospital". Now, the 'correct' awnser is, "The client" with the 'patient' a close second. But, lets face it, thats not really the truth. Vets make decisions all time time not to put the client first. Many refuse to do procedures (ear cropping, tail docking, debarking (not sure the name of the surgery), PTS's...). If the client was really the most important, then the vet wouldn't have final say (as long as the clients wishes didn't violate some law/rule).

The patient as most important? Come on! If that was the truth, then how could a vet turn away a patient for the lack of funds of the client? *yeah, Vets need to make money to stay in business, but im degressing.

There are many such subjective questions.

Will adcom's appreciate non-conformist veiws during an interview? Or our we better off towing the party line.

Members don't see this ad.

I think as long as your opinion is an informed one (shows that you've thought about the topic), you have done some reading up on it (or have some experience, as appropriate), and are not necessarily closed minded to a new way of thinking about the topic if given new evidence (again, where appropriate), then there is nothing wrong with a "dissenting" opinion.

To even give you more to think about, though, I strongly believe that people who assume there is a true "party line" in vet med (or human med?) are very likely wrong as to what they think the adcom really wants to hear. The only topic I can think of that has a vast majority of vet support on one side of the issue is euthanasia, and even that can have lots of caveats and case-dependent aspects.

Bottom line...I say go with your gut and what you really think. Just make sure you can talk intelligently about it and have good reasons to back up your opinion. Good luck. :)

Thanks VAgirl, thats what I was hoping to hear. Your right, there is no black and white to any of the good questions, and i'm glad people are interested in my take and the shade of grey.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, here is my question.

My g/f who recently got into med school, and several friends in proffesional school, all seem to say, for the interviews, tell the adcoms "What the want to hear". I understand what they mean, but my personality isn't very conductive to that, as I am quite opinionated, and truly believe that "What they want to hear" isnt always the right awnser.

A traditional question is "Who is the most important person in a (vet) hospital". Now, the 'correct' awnser is, "The client" with the 'patient' a close second. But, lets face it, thats not really the truth. Vets make decisions all time time not to put the client first. Many refuse to do procedures (ear cropping, tail docking, debarking (not sure the name of the surgery), PTS's...). If the client was really the most important, then the vet wouldn't have final say (as long as the clients wishes didn't violate some law/rule).

The patient as most important? Come on! If that was the truth, then how could a vet turn away a patient for the lack of funds of the client? *yeah, Vets need to make money to stay in business, but im degressing.

There are many such subjective questions.

Will adcom's appreciate non-conformist veiws during an interview? Or our we better off towing the party line.

More then anything, the adcoms will appreciate your use of spell check. I would also suggest having a friend (that speaks and writes English fluently) to proofread everything you write. You will be doing yourself a favor if you hire a service to write your personal statement next year.

You should probably give up the whole anarchy thing, too (or non-conformity, or whatever you call it.) You want to do your best to mask your stupidity, and if you must, bring it out again only after you are accepted. You are, after all, trying to get into vet school...not the ramones.

OHH NOES SPELLIN ERORRS

Thanks, I do try an use spell check. Unfortunately, I've been beta testing Google chrome, and the browser isn't quite finished yet. I didn't have time to copy and paste and do a formal spell check, so I just typed it out.

You should probably give up the whole anarchy thing, too (or non-conformity, or whatever you call it.)

This is a web forum that is designed to promote new idea's. If you think having a different opinion from the main stream is having an anarchist agenda, well, I can't help you with that. I guess what your trying to say, is I am better off telling adcoms what they want to hear.

In time, with practice, perhaps you will be more comfortable with your writing skills to better express your point of view so you don't have to make ignorant comments.

non-conformity:
1. Failure or refusal to conform, as with the established customs, attitudes, or ideas.
2. Lack of conformity or agreement

Anarchist:
1. A person who advocates or believes in anarchy or anarchism
2. A person who seeks to overturn by violence all constituted forms and institutions of society and government, with no purpose of establishing any other system of order in place of that destroyed.
3. A person who promotes disorder or excites revolt against any establish rule, law, or custom.

I would also suggest having a friend (that speaks and writes English fluently) to proofread everything you write.
I was born in Kiev and my family moved to the states when I was 12 years old, after living in Austria and Italy for 5 years. I'm sorry that my English isn't fluent enough for you, but there is a difference between 'typos' and understanding/fluency of a language. As far as my writing goes, I have 4 peer-reviewed's under my name, 7 presentations/posters and 2 grants pending... I think my CV speaks for my writing skills.

Troll:
1. One who posts deliberately provocative messages to a message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

You are bad a trolling

No imagination: don't let those rude remarks get to you!

Actually we have something just for this: :troll:

Ok, here is my question.

A traditional question is "Who is the most important person in a (vet) hospital". Now, the 'correct' awnser is, "The client" with the 'patient' a close second. But, lets face it, thats not really the truth.

I think your example question is a poor choice because this question has multiple correct answers....it all depends on how you phrase your answer. If you phrase it as you did, I think you're fine. Questions like this are prompted because the interviewers want to see how you reason.

When I was asked this question in one of my interviews, my answer was "the receptionist"; with my explanation being that if my receptionist was rude to the clients on the phone I would never see them walk through the door. You could also answer that veterinary technicians are the most important....because let's face it, they keep the hospital running so the veterinarians can be veterinarians.

I don't think there is only one correct answer to many of the questions you will be asked....there are definitely some "wrong" answers (i.e. lying to a client), but the most important thing is to be honest about your feelings. The adcoms can definitely tell if you're trying to bullsh*t them.

Can you please define "a trolling."

Still worrying about typos?

More then anything

Should be Than not Then –
Unlike then, than is not related to time. Than is used in comparative statements

the ramones.
In English proper nouns are capitalized

too (or non-conformity, or whatever you call it.)

This is not a complete sentence, therefore the period goes after the parenthesis

Enough with being a grammar Nazi Penn. If you don't have anything constructive to say, work on you professionalism.

Thanks for all the great responses.

I'm glad as VAgirl and mtrl1 pointed out the answers are not necessarily as clear cut as some people told me they were. I'd much rather defend my opinion then try and BS some right answer.

Well, back to work.

My answer to the question of who is most important in a vet hospital is different than any I have read. Quite simply, my answer is the public at large. I am personally interested in public health and research, but alot of what vets do is serving the public at large. Rabies vax are more about protecting people than individual animals. A vet who refuses to provide treatment for clients who only come in during emergencies and refuse even rabies vax are protecting thier clinic, thier staff, and thier other patients and clients. A vet that refuses treatment of an injured/ill pet due to finances is protecting the business so that they can continue to operate and serve other clients. An assistant that advises a new puppy owner on obtaining training for thier animal is helping that animal stay in its home, assisting an already overburdened shelter system.

There are no right answers. The Adcoms are trying to engage you in a conversation to learn as much as they can in a very limited time. There are some pretty standards questions and having an idea how you're going to respond is a good idea... However you should be yourself and don't "tell us what we want to hear" we can tell when you're pandering.

Happy Holidays!

...and Pennvet.. How dare you disrespect The Ramones with the lower case.

Ahh, The Ramones. Old School.

Are there any surviving members of The Ramones? I thought the two brothers died of cancer a ways back?

I have a question in for this thread, how do you all feel about saying "I don't know" Its soemthing I've been toiling over lately. I've been going over as many issues that I can in the past few days, but there may be questions that I just have not had experience with or basically do not know. I don't want to BS the adcom, but at the same time, I dont want to look like I didn't do my homework?

Any thoughts?

I don't want to BS the adcom, but at the same time, I dont want to look like I didn't do my homework?

Any thoughts?

You can't BS the adcom. The chances are very good that if they ask you a question about something, they already know the answer to it. So if you did try to BS them, you would look like a much bigger fool than if you were just honest in saying you don't know.

I have a question in for this thread, how do you all feel about saying "I don't know" Its soemthing I've been toiling over lately. I've been going over as many issues that I can in the past few days, but there may be questions that I just have not had experience with or basically do not know. I don't want to BS the adcom, but at the same time, I dont want to look like I didn't do my homework?

Any thoughts?

I would at least try to review current topics so that adcoms know you are engaged with the profession you want so badly to join...

That said, you can't know everything and "I don't know" is a perfectly legit answer. However, you may come off as disingenuous if you've had a lot of equine experience but can't answer any questions related to equine issues. Know what I mean?

The answer "I don't know" can work in your favor if you can show adcoms your thought process. If you can convey (in a positive way) that you are interested in finding the answer and learning something new...well, that says something good about you. You can show adcoms that you are willing to admit to deficiencies, take initiative (to find the answer), and swallow your pride.

But you have to be genuine without being obsequious I guess.

I also agree that there are no right answers. Whatever your answer may be, you should be able to back it up with a well thought out, reasoned thought process.

Last edited:
Ahh, The Ramones. Old School.

Are there any surviving members of The Ramones? I thought the two brothers died of cancer a ways back?

Johnny, Joey, and Dee Dee are all dead, but Tommy (drummer) is still kickin around.

And none of them were actually related, the whole Ramones thing is just a stage name, based on some obscure piece of Beatles trivia I think...

Just a little punk rock trivia to take our minds of the purgatory of email-checking.

Johnny, Joey, and Dee Dee are all dead, but Tommy (drummer) is still kickin around.

:eek:

I knew Joey and Dee Dee were dead...but Johnny too? Whoa.

I was trying to think...hmmm. What other bands were popular back then...let's see. Blondie, the Jam, Sex Pistols...

Crap, I'm old.