The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's how I felt. Was looking at a BMW convertible. Used. 20-30k miles, warranty 2 years left... same price as a model 3.

Plus tax credit. Plus no gas. Plus no maintenance.

Bought the tesla.

LoL good choice. A 2 year old BMW has about 3 years left before it falls apart.

Women are shallow and want to date the guy with BMW car keys and a $1400 phone. Your phone is the first chance a woman has to learn anything about your finances. Buying a budget phone is like trying to pull women in an Avalon. Sure, it's a 40k car that rides nice but she is going to pick the guy in the Benz or beamer every time. There are two things you should get if you want a chick magnet. A dodge viper and a iPhone.

You are dating the wrong women

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys buy on days like this when everything is near all time highs? Do you sit and wait for a dip?

I think Google will hit it out of the park if they can make the Pixel 5 and 6 (when released next year) appealing for the 600 buck price.

What's the value proposition of a Pixel 5 or 6 then with the "A" variants available... No more free "original quality" uploads to Google Photos (not that anyone pixel peeps smartphone images) Then again I still use an SD card

Reactions: 1 user
I download all music and still use a headphone jack, so I'd get a 4A if it had an SD card slot

Then again it seems that Samsung has done away with headphone jacks... so 4A by default if I were to get a "new" phone

My current individual holdings and average cost:
GOOGL $1474
APPL $113.34
AMZN $3000
MSFT $203
NIO $21.45

GOOGL has been disappointing lately.

I'm such an idiot for selling GOOGL.

How long ago? And what price did you buy/sell it at?

Bought for $1474 last month, sold for $1480 on Thursday. At least I kept the rest.

I still have $4500 sitting in cash though.

Bought for $1474 last month, sold for $1480 on Thursday. At least I kept the rest.

I still have $4500 sitting in cash though.

When FAAMNGT stalls for a decent period of time that's normally when I like to buy.

Google slowed down big time last quarter in revenue growth and i believe actually declined. If it can return to the 20 to 25% growth it's going to run back up to 1700

When FAAMNGT stalls for a decent period of time that's normally when I like to buy.

Google slowed down big time last quarter in revenue growth and i believe actually declined. If it can return to the 20 to 25% growth it's going to run back up to 1700

Do you think Tesla is still a buy with their PE ratio? It's still the same price since it split.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think Tesla is still a buy with their PE ratio? It's still the same price since it split.

Tesla is up 400% this year on very small growth who knows what it'll do. I actually wouldn't put it with the others.

I brought up Google only because it is valued appropriately compared to the others. If Apple, Microsoft, Netflix, Facebook, Amazon stalled for a whole quarter, I'd buy and wait for an earnings.

Netflix for example has been stuck between here and around 475. If it fell back to that level, I'd be all over it.

Same is happening to Amazon with a lower level of 3k. However, neither may ever get back to those levels.

That's why you have to dollar cost in or you may miss out completely.

Tesla is up 400% this year on very small growth who knows what it'll do. I actually wouldn't put it with the others.

I brought up Google only because it is valued appropriately compared to the others. If Apple, Microsoft, Netflix, Facebook, Amazon stalled for a whole quarter, I'd buy and wait for an earnings.

Netflix for example has been stuck between here and around 475. If it fell back to that level, I'd be all over it

I always wondered why Netflix has so much market share when there's so much competition. Everyone and their mom has a streaming service now. It's not like watching a movie on Netflix is better than watching it on Hulu or Disney.

I always wondered why Netflix has so much market share when there's so much competition. Everyone and their mom has a streaming service now. It's not like watching a movie on Netflix is better than watching it on Hulu or Disney.

Netflix is extremely overvalued and I wouldn't buy as a long term hold. I'd only buy on dips then sell.

I have three areas of FAANMGT
Fair value: Google and Facebook. You'll get decent returns in that 20% range but there's probably not much growth left

Buy the dip and hold: Microsoft Apple and Amazon. Love these companies and I can't see them going anywhere

Buy the dip and sell at a specific level: Tesla and Netflix. These are way overpriced and if they fell 50% it is still overpriced. I'd buy in small quantities and if it continues to fall I'd buy more. It's bound to go back up.

I have three areas of FAANMGT
Fair value: Google and Facebook. You'll get decent returns in that 20% range but there's probably not much growth left

Buy the dip and hold: Microsoft Apple and Amazon. Love these companies and I can't see them going anywhere

Buy the dip and sell at a specific level: Tesla and Netflix. These are way overpriced and if they fell 50% it is still overpriced. I'd buy in small quantities and if it continues to fall I'd buy more. It's bound to go back up.

Apple is a $2 trillion company. Do you see them growing much more than that? They're worth more than many countries.

Apple is a $2 trillion company. Do you see them growing much more than that? They're worth more than many countries.
My eye is completely on apple services. 50 billion per year.

When that slows apple will slow down.

Would I buy right now? No Apple is in a new territory. It's never been a high P/E company in recent years and its doubled over the past year. It's P/S is actually higher then Amazon which is obviously my favorite company.

Huge phone sales could propel Apple though with 5G

Last edited:
AMZN and APPL are still going up. Wish I owned more.

Sold Tesla and started a new half position today in Huya. Plan on buying up to two more times on further dips with a hold period until it hits $30.

This is not a recommendation

Thank you for the recommendation! Christmas in October? Big rumor...JPM increased price target to $40.

View attachment 320424

That you BMB?

How many shares did you get? I bought 50 yesterday bringing me up to 122, wish I bought more... NIO always has dips though so there will be more buying opportunity.

Last edited:
How many shares did you get? I bought 50 yesterday bringing me up to 122, wish I bought more... NIO always has dips though so there will be more buying opportunity.
BMB should have over 6 figures at this point right? That's only about $23k starting position at the beginning of the year which is pennies for a "multimillionaire"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
What to buy today? PLTR? PLUG? FCEL?

My taxable/fun money account has gone from +1800 to -1400 and back in the past week or so. I'm thinking about selling everything while I'm up and throwing it back in an index fund or an ETF. Not that I can't take the swings, but I find I'm addicted to checking my phone all day while the market is open.

So I did sell everything and had cash for a few days. Got back in with some less volatile stocks. Currently holding:
APPL - 31@$113.34
AMZN - 1@$3000
MSFT - 10@$203
NIO - 122@$21.34
PLTR - 1@$10.70

I feel much better about these and don't check my phone as much. Except on days like today when NIO blew up haha.

Has to be. No one could be that annoying on their 1st post.
Shortest Bmb sighting ever.

If only he actually put his money where his mouth is he'd actually would have made a ton of money on NIO

Since bmb isn't here anymore I'm putting a order in to sell NIO if it falls to $23 mainly just to protect the fund since I can't look at while at work.

Basically in case some horrendous news comes out and it plunges. You never know with companies like Citron

FSLY down 30% after hours! Buy the dip??

Now that Apple is up, can I trade for PLTR? I actually bought $1000 worth of shares myself [email protected]/share.

I'm not an IPO guy personally. What about it do you like compared to the hundreds of other stocks?

If you are positive I will do it. Just let me know and I'll put a buy at the open

Last edited:
I'm debating selling a put on it. Thinking $75. Not sure what the premium will be but I could end up owning it at like 70 bucks if I get assigned.

I had puts that i stopped out on earlier this week. Yikessss
All the option selling pretty much guarantee you are getting paid peanuts and limit your gain.

Or, you will miss the boat entirely. If you are bullish, it's better to just buy the shares.

All the option selling pretty much guarantee you are getting paid peanuts and limit your gain.

Or, you will miss the boat entirely. If you are bullish, it's better to just buy the shares.

I always read about people losing big with options. Is it really worth the risk?

NIO is back down to $25 premarket. This may be the last chance to buy the dip before it goes above $30.

I first heard of NIO on this thread and bought 125 shares at $18. Thanks guys!

Wish I had bought 275 more shares at the time.

I first heard of NIO on this thread and bought 125 shares at $18. Thanks guys!

Wish I had bought 275 more shares at the time.

You can thank BMB for that. Buy more today! Looks like everything will be red except NIO. If it doesn't go down today then it's not going down anytime soon.

So what's your decision?

It wouldn't surprise me if one of these days there's a big drop in all these high flying stocks.

I'll wait until Friday. Might be a bloodbath today.

You can thank BMB for that. Buy more today! Looks like everything will be red except NIO. If it doesn't go down today then it's not going down anytime soon.
And Walgreens!!!

Give more flu shots

I fully expect a tremendous buying opportunity if Biden wins. Luxury homes and etc. People leveraged into them just won't be able to afford the extra taxes and to make payments on their home any longer.

So what's your decision?

It wouldn't surprise me if one of these days there's a big drop in all these high flying stocks.
LoL PLTR was up 6.1% today on a red day, even better than NIO. Just do the opposite of what I say from now on, I always time it wrong!

Anyone got FCEL or PLUG? I'm guessing no cause no one likes hydrogen here!

LoL PLTR was up 6.1% today on a red day, even better than NIO. Just do the opposite of what I say from now on, I always time it wrong!

You just let me know what you want to do and I'll take the loss I guess.

Anyone got FCEL or PLUG? I'm guessing no cause no one likes hydrogen here!
Funny story... when I signed up for Robinhood, PLUG was the “free” stock they gave me. It was trading at ~$4 at the time. I assumed it was a crap stock, and I wasn’t sure what to do with it, so I just let it sit there. It’s been entertaining watching it shoot up over the past few months though.

NNDM was also purchased by ARK a few days ago. It's on steroids already premarket.

I don't mean to spam this board but NIO still has large volume. Day 3 of the bull run. We might see $30 today. This is a great opportunity for everyone to enter before it takes off. It sounds expensive now but in 1-2 years it may be over $100. In 5 years who knows?

I had the money to buy AMZN at $1300, TSLA at $400 (pre split), and APPL at $185 (pre split) but I was too scared and missed my chance. Now I have the chance to buy NIO for $28 so I'm not going to miss the train this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
15 minutes until the market opens and $28 is already out of reach. It's already in the $29s. Will easily hit $30 today.

I had the money to buy AMZN at $1300, TSLA at $400 (pre split), and APPL at $185 (pre split) but I was too scared and missed my chance. Now I have the chance to buy NIO for $28 so I'm not going to miss the train this time.

I bought 20 shares of TSLA at pre-split $250...held for quite a long awhile and it didn't do much so sold it at $224 or something around there (it was a loss). I kick myself everyday for selling....ended up buying only a handful back later at $880 pre-split. :lame:

• Sad
I bought 20 shares of TSLA at pre-split $250...held for quite a long awhile and it didn't do much so sold it at $224 or something around there (it was a loss). I kick myself everyday for selling....ended up buying only a handful back later at $880 pre-split. :lame:

You're still doing well if you bought for $800!