The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if any of you are car guys/gals but I must say I'm loving the current EV boom as it's much easier to invest in something I'm passionate about. And have a working understanding of - it's why companies like PLTR and NNDM are more difficult for me to pull the trigger on.

Nio needs to mass produce the EP9 and sell it in America. I'll cash in all my Nio shares to buy one

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't bought a new car in 13 years but I would buy a new NIO if they came to America.

I'm so ready to ditch gas. I have all electric yard tools with Ego - lawnmower, leaf blower and weed whacker. I'm even getting rid of my two stage gas snowblower now that Ego released a two stage electric one this year. Last thing that's left is the car.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't bought a new car in 13 years but I would buy a new NIO if they came to America.

I'm so ready to ditch gas. I have all electric yard tools with Ego - lawnmower, leaf blower and weed whacker. I'm even getting rid of my two stage gas snowblower now that Ego released a two stage electric one this year. Last thing that's left is the car.
What's been your experience with them? I've heard bad reports about electric yard tools but not this particular brand...cant carry a charge over the long term etc

Members don't see this ad :)
What's been your experience with them? I've heard bad reports about electric yard tools but not this particular brand...cant carry a charge over the long term etc

Ego is top of the line for cordless tools. Same power as gas or better IMO. They have a 630CFM leaf blower that's more powerful than gas. I hate dealing with gas, oil, pull strings, cleaning the carbs, fumes and ear damaging noise. These cordless tools are very quiet so they don't disturb the neighbors. I don't smell like gas when I'm done. Everything starts with the push of a button. The mower stores straight up, saving space in the garage.

Their batteries self discharge when not used for a month or so to prolong their life. They have a 3 year warranty. The newer ones also have a fuel gauge. The rapid charger will charge a 7.5ah in under an hour. No other battery line offers these things.

I love how all of the batteries can be used in any of their tools. I currently have two big 7.5aH batteries and a small 2.5aH one. The snowblower used two of the big ones. The lawnmower and leafblower use one big battery. I have the backpack leafblower so weight is not an issue. The small battery I use for weed whacker, edger, chainsaw and hedge trimmer.

I got all of my tools either used on FB marketplace or OfferUp, or on clearance at Home Depot. HD recently stopped selling them so everything was half off. You may still be able to find deals at your local store but most places have sold out by now. Don't buy batteries separately, it's always a better deal to get them with tools. Any extra batteries or chargers I sell on eBay.

The only line comparable to Ego is Toro IMO but their batteries don't have a good warranty, and they don't have as many tools to choose from. I'm not sure if they have a backpack blower. Ego is the only one with a good 2 stage snowblower. Plus I never see used Toro cordless equipment for sale, but always see used Ego.

Last edited:
I will have $1800 settled funds on Monday.

Should I
1) YOLO it into either IDEX, OPTT, GEVO, CIIC or AYRO

Or

2) keep DCA into my 80/20 NIO/PLTR portfolio?

I'm just going to say welcome back

Reactions: 2 users
I should have thrown upwork as my stock pick for the challenge. Only have 100 shares but more than 140% gain in a few months.

Wondering if it will keep going. Look at fiverr stock.
@mentos and wag
88% revenue growth is nice but they aren't even going to make 200 million this year and they have a 6.7 billion market cap.

Just to give reference, NIO has a P/S of 30 while Fiverr is 38.

Personally I think NIO will have better growth over the next few years

Last edited:
I am curious, why buy so many stocks? Why not put everything in one growth stock? High risk but also high reward.

This way you can concentrate your time researching one company. Am I wrong to think like this?

It worked for NIO!

I will have $1800 settled funds on Monday.

Should I
1) YOLO it into either IDEX, OPTT, GEVO, CIIC or AYRO

Or

2) keep DCA into my 80/20 NIO/PLTR portfolio?

You know damn well I would YOLO the hell out of it. I'm going to yolo in a company called GP - found they over the weekend - they're quietly making electric buses (including school buses) and are slowly signing more and more revenue generating contracts.

Be careful with IDEX - I'm anticipating they may do a stock offering this or next week. I have no basis for this except a feeling. AYRO I still feel pretty good about, their market cap has some room to grow.

To be fair though PLTR is on a bit of a pull back, they're probably safest. Are you at all concerned Biden's first budget where he pulls back defense funding is going to hurt PLTR? Realizing that's a ways away from happening.

As an aside - I have a greenworks battery powered chainsaw - that thing is amazing. No dealing with harsh starts and stalls, and 2 batteries was enough for me to cut down a 50' pine tree.

I would be interested in a company that makes affordable lidar.

Check out GMHI - they're taking Luminar public in a month or two. Luminar is predicting $1 billion in LIDAR revenues, and current market cap on GMHI is 600 mil. Unless I'm reading wrong it appears GMHI will convert to LAZR when the merger finalizes so you'll get converted in on the ground floor. As far as affordable goes - not yet but they're working on it.

Check out GMHI - they're taking Luminar public in a month or two. Luminar is predicting $1 billion in LIDAR revenues, and current market cap on GMHI is 600 mil. Unless I'm reading wrong it appears GMHI will convert to LAZR when the merger finalizes so you'll get converted in on the ground floor. As far as affordable goes - not yet but they're working on it.
I will make a small move on CYDY next week. Hopefully I can buy it on M1 finance platform.

You know damn well I would YOLO the hell out of it. I'm going to yolo in a company called GP - found they over the weekend - they're quietly making electric buses (including school buses) and are slowly signing more and more revenue generating contracts.

Be careful with IDEX - I'm anticipating they may do a stock offering this or next week. I have no basis for this except a feeling. AYRO I still feel pretty good about, their market cap has some room to grow.

To be fair though PLTR is on a bit of a pull back, they're probably safest. Are you at all concerned Biden's first budget where he pulls back defense funding is going to hurt PLTR? Realizing that's a ways away from happening.

As an aside - I have a greenworks battery powered chainsaw - that thing is amazing. No dealing with harsh starts and stalls, and 2 batteries was enough for me to cut down a 50' pine tree.
Pltr is +15% for the week. A small pullback on Friday isn’t a pullback if you are up double digits for the week

I just have a hard time buying stocks that have already grown so much. 35% isn't a crap ton but still up considerable amount

Agree with you 100% - I usually try and avoid them. I think GP still has some room to grow given a couple of new contracts for buses they've signed recently but I could be terribly wrong and I'll lose 15% in a pullback.

I'm reinvesting gains into mutual funds at this point because I have a feeling my beginners luck is about to run out and I don't want to lose it all when the EV/renewable energy bubble pops.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thinking of investing in Affirm when they do their IPO.
Be careful with Affirm, I believe 30% of their business is with Peloton.

We all know what happened to Fastly.

I do think it's a good company though

Be careful with Affirm, I believe 30% of their business is with Peloton.

We all know what happened to Fastly.

I do think it's a good company though
You’re right; about 30% is with one company. I think the business model is decent though. The biggest risk in my mind is a recession with vast numbers of customer bankruptcies.

Yes hebl could have. So could we all if we bought and held but we did not.
Should have bought when humapa said to originally.

Sorry i mean BMB

NIO cross the $50/share again.

Expect NIO to hit ~$200/share at the end of next year...

NIO cross the $50/share again.

Expect NIO to hit ~$200/share at the end of next year...

That's assuming they will be selling 20k a month. Seems high

$100 is more accurate even if it's too high in itself

That's assuming they will be selling 20k a month. Seems high

$100 is more accurate even if it's too high in itself
EV stocks do not follow most of the fundamentals. TESLA is our best example.

I am waiting for a sport car that is somewhat affordable to the general public. I think that is going to be a game changer.

EVs are faster than sports cars.

NIO is up 5% today and nobody cares cause everything else is up 30-75%!

EV stocks do not follow most of the fundamentals. TESLA is our best example.

NIO is currently valued as if it will be Tesla currently.

I can't see NIO being valued at half the value of Tesla unless it is selling 20k a month.

So the NIO position has tripled since buying. I would like to trim the position but since BMB is saying he's not here I'd like someone else to decide if the position should be trimmed.

NIO is currently valued as if it be Tesla currently.

I can't see NIO being valued at half the value of Tesla unless it is selling 20k a month.
Well, by the end of 2021, TESLA share will be close $1000

Well, by the end of 2021, TESLA share will be close $1000
Yes but they will also sell a 750k to a million next year.

20k a month for NIO is 240k

That's all I'm saying.

So the NIO position has tripled since buying. I would like to trim the position but since BMB is saying he's not here I'd like someone else to decide if the position should be trimmed
How many shares do you have?

I sold all my gold position after the vaccine was announced. Long term gold just goes up with inflation. It is also being pressured by bitcoin right now.

Gold saved me tho. My account was barely negative this year because of gold.

Why was your account negative with all that NIO?

How many shares do you have?
It's at 58 shares. It was bought around 17 I think

I don't care if I keep it. I just don't think it's wise to have one stock with a quarter of the fund.

Tesla and NIO have different business model tho. Both are great company and both will lead the world in EV. NIO wants to be a premium lifestyle brand just like Ferrari. Do you know Ferrari makes more from their merchandise than actual Ferrari cars?

You do realize Tesla sells expensive vehicles too right?
This was in March where everything was crashing including NIO.
All that talk before and you are barely positive?

So the NIO position has tripled since buying. I would like to trim the position but since BMB is saying he's not here I'd like someone else to decide if the position should be trimmed.

Why?? It's going to hit triple digits next year.

Do we really want BMB talking nonstop about NIO again?

Ok I give in then

But just so you guys know before he was claiming he had high 5 figures in NIO before it tripled. Now he is saying he's barely positive on the year

Not concerned about how much he has. He helped a lot of us here make more money than our paychecks!

Not concerned about how much he has. He helped a lot of us here make more money than our paychecks!
I'm just saying, stocks get tossed around all the time. When someone says they believe in a stock and claim they have high 5 figures in it and even tried to say 6 but took it back, idk if I really want him around saying the same thing over and over again

We get it, EV is here. Why do we need screenshot of random people claiming it's going up and everything NIO is doing?

But if you guys want nonstop posts on NIO that's fine

I think in a way you felt like you got left behind on this EV rush so you don’t want to hear about EV. I get it but this is common and expected.

Like I said, it is not too late. There is still room to grow.

Do you like any other EVs or just NIO? AYRO, CIIC, XPEV, LI etc have gained even more.