The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've got 100% vtsax. And been deferring my federal loans praying they'll forgive something so I'll get free $. Anyone else 100% vtsax and deferring their federal as long as possible?

Members don't see this ad.

My net worth is finally out of the red, LFG! Not exactly sure where it was when I graduated but probably around -260k - 270k. Graduated 2017, started working Feb 2018.

View attachment 331494

Good job, now keep it up. You did 260 in three years, try 500k in the next 6 years then relax more.

Getting that net worth up and letting the market do the rest is huge. Just think if you can average 7% from that 500k, you're banking $35k a year.

Reactions: 1 user
I've got 100% vtsax. And been deferring my federal loans praying they'll forgive something so I'll get free $. Anyone else 100% vtsax and deferring their federal as long as possible?
I have about 25% VTIAX as well, and 75% VTSAX. Vanguard predicts international to perform quite better than domestic over the next 10 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
there's a major difference between calling a sell off to the exact date when it begins, and determining that a sharp recovery will occur at some point in the future in the stock market

where's your stimulus now doctor?
is correction over now?

Is SPY being down less than 2% since Feb 23 a selloff?

NASDAQ down less than 4%

Seeing as I keep track of our accounts the beginning of every month, we're positive both January and february

There was a correction?

Last edited:
what a load of crap these income limits are in the stimulus. For a family earning 160k they are completely excluded, whereas 150k is completely included. For a family with 3 kids, the stimulus is worth over $10k (tax free!). Would have been so much better off working less last year. Actually LOST money by working those 20 extra shifts

what a load of crap these income limits are in the stimulus. For a family earning 160k they are completely excluded, whereas 150k is completely included. For a family with 3 kids, the stimulus is worth over $10k (tax free!). Would have been so much better off working less last year. Actually LOST money by working those 20 extra shifts
I haven't qualified for a single stimulus payment, or enhanced unemployment, or student loan assistance, and my company did not and was not forced to give me hazard pay.

So uh, welcome to the club?

I haven't qualified for a single stimulus payment, or enhanced unemployment, or student loan assistance, and my company did not and was not forced to give me hazard pay.

So uh, welcome to the club?
i feel your pain but it is more about the phaseout structure that disincentives working more (they could only pull this off retroactively)

i feel your pain but it is more about the phaseout structure that disincentives working more (they could only pull this off retroactively)
There's phaseout cliffs on a lot of government benefits from Medicaid to ACA subsidies. It's all part of having s progressive tax and benefit structure.

While most of them are less binary than this, the ACA subsidies and Medicaid cliffs are much worse as they take away a lot free benefits from people much closure to the poverty line.

IE, Joe Sixpack having to pay 800/month for a family plan because he was a few G's above the limit for the ACA is much worse than Jim Whitecoat losing out on 15k of underserved free money giveaway because he made 10k higher than 5x the poverty level for his family size (or 14x the poverty level as a single earner).

There's phaseout cliffs on a lot of government benefits from Medicaid to ACA subsidies. It's all part of having s progressive tax and benefit structure.

While most of them are less binary than this, the ACA subsidies and Medicaid cliffs are much worse as they take away a lot free benefits from people much closure to the poverty line.

IE, Joe Sixpack having to pay 800/month for a family plan because he was a few G's above the limit for the ACA is much worse than Jim Whitecoat losing out on 15k of underserved free money giveaway because he made 10k higher than 5x the poverty level for his family size (or 14x the poverty level as a single earner).
i understand that. i do not feel i am owed or deserve a stimulus payment. then again, i dont believe anyone is. But, i understand offering free handmeouts with money we dont have is how they get so many votes and stay in power. but i digress. the post was more venting frustrations that many of us worked 200-300 of OT last year only to be worse off

i understand that. i do not feel i am owed or deserve a stimulus payment. then again, i dont believe anyone is. But, i understand offering free handmeouts with money we dont have is how they get so many votes and stay in power. but i digress. the post was more venting frustrations that many of us worked 200-300 of OT last year only to be worse off
I hear ya man. I have friends that make below the stimmy threshold who werent affected at all monetarily by the pandemic. They've been acting super entitled to getting their stimulus checks like it's some god given right even though they never knew the term economic stimulus before this year.

It's strange times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, well. Thanks to me maxing out all of my tax advantaged investment options and not working any overtime, I fall just under $150,000 adj gross.

Pay me, Uncle Sam.

• Haha
Well, well. Thanks to me maxing out all of my tax advantaged investment options and not working any overtime, I fall just under $150,000 adj gross.

Pay me, Uncle Sam.
Free 3090? I'm jelly.

You guys can still qualify for the stimulus when it's reconciled on your 2021 taxes.

The stimuli last year were actually 2020 tax credits. Many people who did not qualify since the prepayments were based on 2019 income, were able to claim it if/when they file taxes in March/April. It's the same thing for these prepayments.

So just manage your income to make sure you don't hit the $150,000 target this year. It's not hard. Max out HSA, 403B, spousal IRA (if applicable).

You guys can still qualify for the stimulus when it's reconciled on your 2021 taxes.

The stimuli last year were actually 2020 tax credits. Many people who did not qualify since the prepayments were based on 2019 income, were able to claim it if/when they file taxes in March/April. It's the same thing for these prepayments.

So just manage your income to make sure you don't hit the $150,000 target this year. It's not hard. Max out HSA, 403B, spousal IRA (if applicable).
i was wondering that.

This stimulus speaks to the increasing degeneracy of society (gimme gimme gimme)

what if we add children to the family in 2021?

what if we add children to the family in 2021?
You'd get the stimmie for them in 2022 when you file your taxes. Or you could increase your withholdings on your taxes. Once the President signs Stimmie 3.0 I'm going to update my W4 at work to get the increased child tax credits in my paycheck.

You'd get the stimmie for them in 2022 when you file your taxes. Or you could increase your withholdings on your taxes. Once the President signs Stimmie 3.0 I'm going to update my W4 at work to get the increased child tax credits in my paycheck.
i see the child CARE credit is also much juicier in 2021. i have to assume this is for child care expenses paid in 2021, not 2020

GME rising again. Hold the line boyos.
The IV tech at work was saying she owns GME. I advised her to sell while she can. I would hate to see someone lose a bunch of money because they held on too long.

• Dislike
Same. Techs everywhere suddenly "investing" in meme stonks. You know the bull market has run it's course when this many new participants enter the market looking to make a quick buck. Saw a poll where around 50% of young people planned to spend around half of their stimmy on stocks.

Look out below.

GME's high for today briefly covered my $207 cost basis.

To da moon! Limit sell $42069.42

@awval999 curious what insight you may have on the idea of married filing separately to avoid missing out on stimulus. say i have AGI of 130 and wife has AGI of 30, and we have 3 kids. filing jointly we completely miss out. If we file separely, would my spouse get the $1400x4?

Suprise guys, AVEOs block buster drug was approved. FDA met early and approved it
TO THE MOON
Remember I posted in here to buy at 4$

@awval999 curious what insight you may have on the idea of married filing separately to avoid missing out on stimulus. say i have AGI of 130 and wife has AGI of 30, and we have 3 kids. filing jointly we completely miss out. If we file separely, would my spouse get the $1400x4?
That is how previous stimulus bills worked. Not sure if they fixed thst loophole or not. Also with trump tax reform marriage penalty filing together or separate non existent sub 400k income except for a few tax deductions (student loan interest etc)

That is how previous stimulus bills worked. Not sure if they fixed thst loophole or not. Also with trump tax reform marriage penalty filing together or separate non existent sub 400k income except for a few tax deductions (student loan interest etc)
are you sure about that? looking at the tax tables, i would be in 24% bracket if filing separately, but never reach the 24% if filing jointly.

edit: to those interested, i crunched the numbers using 130k and 30k incomes. MFS ends up paying $1900 more in taxes. If you have 3 kids, however, you would net an additional 1400x4=5600 in stimulus that you would have missed out on if MFJ. So in this case, it seems MFS would be beneficial. One downside would be you cannot claim the enhanced child and dependent care credit (potentially up to $4000) if MFS.

Attachments

• 8ECB9DA1-FEC5-4AEC-BE95-244517E9C02D.png
    8ECB9DA1-FEC5-4AEC-BE95-244517E9C02D.png
    194.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
are you sure about that? looking at the tax tables, i would be in 24% bracket if filing separately, but never reach the 24% if filing jointly.

edit: to those interested, i crunched the numbers using 130k and 30k incomes. MFS ends up paying $1900 more in taxes. If you have 3 kids, however, you would net an additional 1400x4=5600 in stimulus that you would have missed out on if MFJ. So in this case, it seems MFS would be beneficial. One downside would be you cannot claim the enhanced child and dependent care credit (potentially up to $4000) if MFS.

yes it would affect you more since large disparity in income, if similar incomes typically a wash now since married filing separately is identical to single tax chart in beginning (in past it wasn’t)

I'm up 34% on oil investments between dividends and gains since buying at the end of September, with little ceiling in sight. There's a few other dirty investments that are heavily undervalued right now, I might go full Koch strategy to maximize my gains via ethically dubious but solid performers

GME is about to hit $300. lol. I'm selling at $400. That would be a $900 profit lol.

GME is about to hit $300. lol. I'm selling at $400. That would be a $900 profit lol.

I bought a bunch of shares in January and held them - it recently spiked up to ~$350, I sold my shares at $328. Trading halted shortly after I sold and the price never came back up that high. Walked away with ~$1500 profit. :cool:

I have decided to take up sports betting as a side project. I will be allocating 5k from my investment portfolio to try some random sports betting.

Here is my situation - I have never, in my entire life, watched a sports game (football, basketball, etc.). I have absolutely zero interest in sports and I know absolutely nothing about sports or the people involved. In fact, I absolutely despise sports and all forms of competitive sports activities - it’s just the way I am. I like golf, but mostly because I can go play 9 with my friends and act out with a group for the day at the golf course (I’m a single bogie average kind of guy)

With that said, my strategy will be to bet on individual games and I will choose who I think the winner of the game will be based on how much I like the name of the team. Essentially, whichever team I feel like has a sexier name, I will place a bet. I did this once a long time ago with a March madness basketball tournament thing (I have no idea what it was but we put teams in brackets) and I came very close to winning.

Question is - can anyone here recommend a good sports betting platform? Does my plan sound airtight?

I bought a bunch of shares in January and held them - it recently spiked up to ~$350, I sold my shares at $328. Trading halted shortly after I sold and the price never came back up that high. Walked away with ~$1500 profit. :cool:

I have been talking about GME for a while. I made a lot of money from GME over the past couple months. GME has become, by far, my favorite stock EVER.

I made many thousands from day trading GME. I decided to take all profits I make from GME and buy theta tokens with it. If you guys have nit heard of theta tokens, you need to check it out because I consider this my ticket to retirement in about 7 years max.

GME has become so many peoples dirty little secret. Am I the only one here who bought the “Apes together strong” shirt and donate to the Diane Fossey fund?

Last edited:
I have been talking about GME for a while. I made a lot of money from GME over the past couple months. GME has become, by far, my favorite stock EVER.

I made many thousands from day trading GME. I decided to take all profits I make from GME and buy theta tokens with it. If you guys have nit heard of theta tokens, you need to check it out because I consider this my ticket to retirement in about 7 years max.

GME has become so many peoples dirty little secret. Am I the only one here who bought the “Apes together strong” shirt and donate to the Diane Fossey fund?

My mistake was that I bought in when it was high, FOMO got the best of me and I bought around 27 shares with an avg price of $250. It spiked to around $450 and I missed it, but that was when they halted trading and all the platforms mysteriously crashed...the price then dropped. But I held amidst all the speculation that another squeeze was coming.

So, when I saw the next squeeze happen, I remembered what happened the last time, and sold while I was ahead because I knew they would halt trading again. I was correct.

I just wish I bought more shares when it was $50. I might just do that when it falls again...

My mistake was that I bought in when it was high, FOMO got the best of me and I bought around 27 shares with an avg price of $250. It spiked to around $450 and I missed it, but that was when they halted trading and all the platforms mysteriously crashed...the price then dropped. But I held amidst all the speculation that another squeeze was coming.

So, when I saw the next squeeze happen, I remembered what happened the last time, and sold while I was ahead because I knew they would halt trading again. I was correct.

I just wish I bought more shares when it was $50. I might just do that when it falls again...

Yes - I understand 100%. I bought about 1500 bucks of shares in January when it was about 50/share. I rode that spike all the way to 450 and I held it through the RH blackout. I had over 10k in profit which I watched turn into a loss at 35/share. When DFV bought more, I figured why the hell not and I bought 500 bucks more at 35/share. Then I rode it all the way back up to 300 and sold on that Wednesday a couple weeks ago when it dropped 50% in 15 minutes. The drop was so rapid that I was priced at about 240 when selling.

GME is a rollercoaster which was actually quite fun. After selling, I have been watching for tweets from DFV, Ryan Cohen, and some others to make quick scalps on the almost obligatory 10% that we get from their tweets.

I am thinking about diamond handsing 1k in both GME/AMC one more time for the next squeeze.

Hello,
I am relatively new to this so please pardon me but I am wondering if I can open both fidelity and vanguard brokerage (not Roth IRA) accounts? I opened fidelity last month using the very aggressive strategy but I haven’t been too pleased plus it looks like vanguard is more known. Is it possible to have the 2? Or can I close my fidelity and transfer to vanguard? Also is there any advice you guys will offer in terms of long term cost savings? Thank you

Hello,
I am relatively new to this so please pardon me but I am wondering if I can open both fidelity and vanguard brokerage (not Roth IRA) accounts? I opened fidelity last month using the very aggressive strategy but I haven’t been too pleased plus it looks like vanguard is more known. Is it possible to have the 2? Or can I close my fidelity and transfer to vanguard? Also is there any advice you guys will offer in terms of long term cost savings? Thank you

You can definitely have both - I use Fidelity for options/stocks and Vanguard for mutuals