The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bmb had this forum more lively than it had been in months, back to being boring I suppose

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven’t received satisfactory answer: how do anesthesia/ emergency medicine get away with discussing topics that are far more controversial than here ? Why two different standards?

I still haven’t received satisfactory answer: how do anesthesia/ emergency medicine get away with discussing topics that are far more controversial than here ? Why two different standards?
Great question. You won't get an answer.

Some dork admin I've never heard of before flew by to close the thread about banning BMB again for no reason.

They just won't admit that they are wrong. Just close threads and continue being useless. Nobody wants him banned on here.

The maudes and admins are a complete joke. Incompetent. Miserable. Treat the board like their little fiefdom they get to lord over.

although I agree that the bans are excessive - (I just pm'd the mod that banned BMB) - I spend time on the EM thread and they just banned a PA that didn't even say anything bad, at least there they had the guts to leave the posts up vs the BS they did with BMB

although I agree that the bans are excessive - (I just pm'd the mod that banned BMB) - I spend time on the EM thread and they just banned a PA that didn't even say anything bad, at least there they had the guts to leave the posts up vs the BS they did with BMB
No you didn't as I'm the one who banned him and you haven't PMed me. FWIW, this was a joint decision among the moderation staff (as all bans are). I was just the one who had sufficient free time to actually take care of it.

Snark aside, in the interest of transparency I'll explain the reasoning here. I'll preface by saying I'm not here to argue or defend anything past this post (while I do come to the Pharmacy area frequently I don't read the financial stuff y'all post so I won't see anything that's posted in this thread past this point).

As a rule, if you are banned and then make a new account that account is banned. On occasion a new account will slip through unnoticed. If by the time we notice, the new account hasn't broken any rules or brought attention to itself being a reincarnation of a banned user; then we will generally let it slide. The idea here being that if you behave yourself after a ban then you learned your lesson and so we don't make an issue of it.

In this case, the poster in question was increasingly calling attention to the fact that he was a banned user who had returned. When you're actively pointing out that you were able to circumvent the rules, you can't be surprised when we then take action.

I hope that clears things up.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
(while I do come to the Pharmacy area frequently I don't read the financial stuff y'all post so I won't see anything that's posted in this thread past this point).

Dude - I just wanna say.. you missed the 8% McRib rally. This was just a steel.

I doubt any of the yahoos at other forums sniffed that one out…. You only get that here - exclusively in the pharmacist forum

Reactions: 2 users
No you didn't as I'm the one who banned him and you haven't PMed me. FWIW, this was a joint decision among the moderation staff (as all bans are). I was just the one who had sufficient free time to actually take care of it.

Snark aside, in the interest of transparency I'll explain the reasoning here. I'll preface by saying I'm not here to argue or defend anything past this post (while I do come to the Pharmacy area frequently I don't read the financial stuff y'all post so I won't see anything that's posted in this thread past this point).

As a rule, if you are banned and then make a new account that account is banned. On occasion a new account will slip through unnoticed. If by the time we notice, the new account hasn't broken any rules or brought attention to itself being a reincarnation of a banned user; then we will generally let it slide. The idea here being that if you behave yourself after a ban then you learned your lesson and so we don't make an issue of it.

In this case, the poster in question was increasingly calling attention to the fact that he was a banned user who had returned. When you're actively pointing out that you were able to circumvent the rules, you can't be surprised when we then take action.

I pm'd @GoSpursGo sicne he responded to this - so @VA Hopeful Dr - hopefully you read this even thou you say you won't. We are all adults with advanced degrees- so just let the guy be a guy and do his thing - in what way do you feel that you are being hurt by it?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So because he hurt your fee-fees by mentioning that he'd been banned before and snuck back on, you rebanned him? Not because he actually broke a rule or made a questionable post?

Are you people seriously that pithy? You do realize how weak and feeble it makes the maudes on here look, right?

Well, whatever, thanks for ruining things again. Nobody on here has a problem with BMB, but, God help us, *DARE* he upset the overlords and here they all come, unwanted, unasked, to ban the guy.

Can you people just leave us alone? We don't want or need you moderation. It's too heavy handed. It's, clearly, incredibly inconsistant and based on your whims. All of y'all just go away. Let us be. If someone actually does something ethically or legally wrong, fine, ban them. Otherwise, just let them stay. If we need you, we'll be sure to seek you out.

Reactions: 3 users
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So because he hurt your fee-fees by mentioning that he'd been banned before and snuck back on, you rebanned him? Not because he actually broke a rule or made a questionable post?

Are you people seriously that pithy? You do realize how weak and feeble it makes the maudes on here look, right?

Well, whatever, thanks for ruining things again. Nobody on here has a problem with BMB, but, God help us, *DARE* he upset the overlords and here they all come, unwanted, unasked, to ban the guy.

Can you people just leave us alone? We don't want or need you moderation. It's too heavy handed. It's, clearly, incredibly inconsistant and based on your whims. All of y'all just go away. Let us be. If someone actually does something ethically or legally wrong, fine, ban them. Otherwise, just let them stay. If we need you, we'll be sure to seek you out.
yup - show me on the doll where BMB touched you

Last edited:
  • Haha

So it's okay if they make a new account and follow the rules. But if they make a new account, follow the rules and mention they've been banned before, then their posts get deleted?? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

So it's okay if they make a new account and follow the rules. But if they make a new account, follow the rules and mention they've been banned before, then their posts get deleted?? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s because SDN is a huge site with a huge volunteer staff. We have in the past tried to be perfectly consistent across the site and frankly it’s impossible. So while there is no official policy that any past of the site has different moderation standards in practice you can find differences from forum to forum and moderator to moderator.

It’s because SDN is a huge site with a huge volunteer staff. We have in the past tried to be perfectly consistent across the site and frankly it’s impossible. So while there is no official policy that any past of the site has different moderation standards in practice you can find differences from forum to forum and moderator to moderator.
But the doc dude said this was a group decision? Not an individual decision? Like I said to the spurs guy, I didn’t even really like bmb but this screams someone who didn’t like someone hurting their feelings.

But the doc dude said this was a group decision? Not an individual decision? Like I said to the spurs guy, I didn’t even really like bmb but this screams someone who didn’t like someone hurting their feelings.
Yes, this is true. Even with group discussions there are still discrepancies with how different parts of SDN are moderated and I chalk it up to how many thousands of users we have with dozens of moderators trying their best to be fair and make SDN a better forum. I do think it’s less than ideal but it is what it is.

As far as I know there was no personal grudge or malice here. Isn’t this an old pattern at this point? BMB will likely come back and we will likely ignore it until he blows up and the cycle repeats. If anything I encourage it by turning a blind eye when he comes back. But hey no one is perfect.

Yes, this is true. Even with group discussions there are still discrepancies with how different parts of SDN are moderated and I chalk it up to how many thousands of users we have with dozens of moderators trying their best to be fair and make SDN a better forum. I do think it’s less than ideal but it is what it is.

As far as I know there was no personal grudge or malice here. Isn’t this an old pattern at this point? BMB will likely come back and we will likely ignore it until he blows up and the cycle repeats. If anything I encourage it by turning a blind eye when he comes back. But hey no one is perfect.
But he didn't blow up so what's the problem?

So basically there's no rhyme or reason for any of the moderator decisions, it's whatever that person feels like doing on that day. There's too many chefs in the kitchen. Easy solution that is familiar to pharmacy, cut the staff. We don't need them.

So basically there's no rhyme or reason for any of the moderator decisions, it's whatever that person feels like doing on that day. There's too many chefs in the kitchen. Easy solution that is familiar to pharmacy, cut the staff. We don't need them.
I don’t think that is a fair summation at all but I understand the need to criticize. There is a TOS and we try our best to enforce it consistently but there is simply no way to do that where some people won’t criticize every action or point out inconsistencies.

In the case of BMB the inconsistency is allowing him to be on the site at all. The policy is once banned, always banned. The inconsistency is me ignoring his respawn.

The policy is once banned, always banned.

So which one is it? Going by @VA Hopeful Dr, BMB did behave themselves after the ban for a few months, did nothing wrong, made meaningful and contributory posts to this forum, and was still suddenly axed for no apparent reason.

• Hmm
So which one is it? Going by @VA Hopeful Dr, BMB did behave themselves after the ban for a few months, did nothing wrong, made meaningful and contributory posts to this forum, and was still suddenly axed for no apparent reason.
Sorry I wasn’t clear - the policy is that bans are permanent. The reality is that we often ignore people who return from a ban for practical reasons and the reasons VA outlined. There is an apparent reason BMB was banned again (I think VA gave the reason?). Hope that clears it up for you.

. The inconsistency is me ignoring his respawn.

😂🤣 I love the way you framed this. Looks like BM wore out his cooldown and ended up respawning here.

We can only hope he spawns in a new battlefield on the next round.

"HeRp DeRp wE mAdE ArE DeC15IoN! bMb bAd!"

What I hear when the maudes try to explain this.

BMB, just make a new username. This time, don't put BMB 2.0 as your little title thing under your username. I noticed you did that, then like a week later the forum gods were angry and decided smite you for it or whatever. That seems just like type of trivial thing that would anger them, so I'll assume that's what did it.

As usual, we'll make this board great again in spite of the poor mauderation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Looks like market will stay almost stagnant these days with minimal movement.

Anyone worried about the next CPI release and FOMC meeting on Dec 13-14? We either gonna get a huge rally/crash :smug:
Not worried at all - why worry about things I can’t control?? I am interested to see what happens though.

Not worried at all - why worry about things I can’t control?? I am interested to see what happens though.
This is just pure speculation but..

S&P has been up 6.2% in the past month and it looks like it will continue to rally little by little until the CPI/FOMC meeting. I think the market is trying to set up for a buffer in case the CPI rate decides to go in the opposite direction and fed is forced to deliver a 0.75 bp hike as opposed to a 0.5bp. If CPI continues to trend down then market will most likely rally till the end of the year. Starting Q1 of 2023 we will feel the effect of the past four 0.75bp rate hikes even stronger and that will hit the market hard again...(probably will bring it down close to where S&P was in October or slightly lower than that).

In summary I think the market is setting up so that we don't go too far from where we are now or where it was in October... Bottom is very close i'd say. Time to load up!!!

Note: Not financial advice... I invest in only one stock :)

Unemployment is still at a minimum with an overall labor shortage, despite the job market softening a bit. The Fed will likely continue to raise rates until inflation breaks if unemployment does not rise significantly.

😂🤣 I love the way you framed this. Looks like BM wore out his cooldown and ended up respawning here.

We can only hope he spawns in a new battlefield on the next round.

I would hope he respawns here again and again.

Unemployment is still at a minimum with an overall labor shortage, despite the job market softening a bit. The Fed will likely continue to raise rates until inflation breaks if unemployment does not rise significantly.
I think the fed will ease and then pause at 4.75-5 and observe(assuming CPI rates continues to come down month over month. Raising interest rates have a lagging effect and its full force won’t be felt until 6-8 months later. Many companies also just started laying off their employees so I think we should see unemployment rate start to increase significantly in the next few months :)

I am just trying to calculate if I can re-enter my position at a lower price LOL... without realizing loss...

Last edited:
let’s talk Santa rally 2022…

Anyone in? Anyone have any ideas on what to buy for the Santa rally? There will be winners and losers in the Santa rally (there always is).

I’m going precious metals again for the Christmas rally. SILV, HL, FSM, HYMC.

Anyone else have any ideas?

let’s talk Santa rally 2022…

Anyone in? Anyone have any ideas on what to buy for the Santa rally? There will be winners and losers in the Santa rally (there always is).

I’m going precious metals again for the Christmas rally. SILV, HL, FSM, HYMC.

Anyone else have any ideas?
I missed out on the McRib rally, I don't want to let the Santa rally pass me by too.

Santa Rally time! I know I may be getting old here but I am sticking with precious metals again for the Christmas rally.

Here is my Christmas rally position - I will hold this until shortly after Christmas, OR I will likely sell if I hit a total of a 10% bump up. Stop loss set at 10% for each individual stock (except HYMC - I will hold this regardless)

HYMC: 15,000 shares at 68 cents a share average (approximately 11.5k dollars)
PSLV: 1000 shares at 7.22 a share average (7.2k dollars)
HL: 1000 shares at 5.10 average (5k dollars)
FSM: 1000 shares at 3.65 each (3.5k dollars)
SILV: 1000 shares at 6.48 each (6.5k dollars)

Alright - this starts today and ends when I’m I one of the following:

• Sell at a 10% total rally
  • Sell individual stocks at 10% loss
  • Up for any gain upon open after Christmas.
  • If I’m in the negative but not 10%, I will likely continue holding
Ultimately, I will likely hold HYMC for a few years to play out the current speculated precious metals squeeze coming soon, but the rest I will sell out of according to plan.

Last edited:
I don’t know about you guys - but I want a free Christmas this year….

I think Santa wants to see some of that silver and gold this year…. Santa don’t need no stinkin’ fancy tech…. It’s the bling that Santa wants this year…

Last edited:
So I stupidly bought some more SQQQ at 48.6 recently and was $200 away from break even last week. After Wed/Fri I'm now down 8%. Should I cut my losses or hold until green? It worked out for me all year until now of course. My Roth is up about 7% YTD but slowly going down if I keep this SQQQ position.

So I stupidly bought some more SQQQ at 48.6 recently and was $200 away from break even last week. After Wed/Fri I'm now down 8%. Should I cut my losses or hold until green? It worked out for me all year until now of course. My Roth is up about 7% YTD but slowly going down if I keep this SQQQ position.

The thing about a short is the longer you hold it the more risk is involved - sqqq is also 3x leveraged so that risk will grow faster as time goes on.

As to if this will go green again soon is anyones speculation. Personally - it’s my speculation that early to mid 2023 will likely bring some serious pain and that short position may peak.

A 3x leveraged position takes about 4 months per economic cycle, and depending on the short interest it will sink you that much more every 4 months. I would do one of 2 things if I was stuck in SQQQ..

1) If you can afford it - hold it though December (I speculate green this December) and curiously hold it until about Feb-March. A short will continue sinking but you may make it all back if people are fearful next year.

2) dump it now and take your loss. I believe December will likely be green and it will drag you down quickly. Maybe re-enter next year

The thing about a short is the longer you hold it the more risk is involved - sqqq is also 3x leveraged so that risk will grow faster as time goes on.

As to if this will go green again soon is anyones speculation. Personally - it’s my speculation that early to mid 2023 will likely bring some serious pain and that short position may peak.

A 3x leveraged position takes about 4 months per economic cycle, and depending on the short interest it will sink you that much more every 4 months. I would do one of 2 things if I was stuck in SQQQ..

1) If you can afford it - hold it though December (I speculate green this December) and curiously hold it until about Feb-March. A short will continue sinking but you may make it all back if people are fearful next year.

2) dump it now and take your loss. I believe December will likely be green and it will drag you down quickly. Maybe re-enter next year

Thanks, I have a feeling December will pump as usual too.

I decided to take the L on SQQQ with the dip this morning. Lost $520 on that position but it was down over 1k at one point so it could have been worse. Rolling everything into VTI for the Santa rally.

Where is the Santa rally? I would have been green with SQQQ if I held one more day LMAO.

Maybe we will hear from Simba soon!

• Haha
Where is the Santa rally? I would have been green with SQQQ if I held one more day LMAO.

Maybe we will hear from Simba soon!

haha whoops!

Where is Simba when we need him? I need someone with all the answers in a time like this. Are you sitting on any Santa Rally stocks?

Pump it Powell!

I haven't had a 3% day in a long time!

Thank you Powell for your speech today. Sold all my Tesla position (1040 shares at $194.25/shares). My ave price was 195 so I lost about ~$700. Feels pretty good considering I was down $26k few days ago when stock dropped to $166

Hope stock goes down in the next few days lmaooo. Ready to go back in

• Wow
I live overseas and 14 hours ahead of the US 😄
44E364ED-7669-4FC3-9A63-3AC64068448C.png
16E8BEAB-5634-4934-BDB5-B30FA9196B13.png

Thank you Powell for your speech today. Sold all my Tesla position (1040 shares at $194.25/shares). My ave price was 195 so I lost about ~$700. Feels pretty good considering I was down $26k few days ago when stock dropped to $166

Hope stock goes down in the next few days lmaooo. Ready to go back in

If you're bullish for Tesla, why take a loss? The market is usually green in December.

If you're bullish for Tesla, why take a loss? The market is usually green in December.
I am bullish for Tesla and will go back in at lower price(if it ever goes down from here lol...) I think psychologically I'll feel better seeing my portfolio down 10%-15% as opposed to 25%-30% when recession/crash hits hard... to me $800 realized loss is better than $25,000-$30,000 unrealized one LOL....