The job search - foot and ankle surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idknooneknowsme

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently discovered podiatry. I'm becoming fascinated by the field and want to know more about it.
And yes, I know this community hates to answer job related questions, including salary questions. However, I am trying to gauge as much information as possible before I spend 200k in student loans. I think that's fair and wise.

Quick question, how difficult it is to find a good surgical based job after residency?
When I search "foot and ankle surgery jobs" on google, for example, I find a bunch of jobs available, but I am not sure if those jobs are referring to DPM's or MD's. I think the majority of those jobs are referring to orthopedic surgeons (MD's). If that's the case, do you guys still apply to those jobs? I mean, DPM are licensed to practice foot and ankle surgery. If it is common for DPM's to apply to those type of jobs, how common it is for those multi-specialty groups to offer a job to podiatrist? I know every person has a different experience based on location, etc.. But I would love to know more about it and gauge different perspectives from different people.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

study harder and do MD or DO. Keep doing more research about podiatry. Talk to as many people IN PERSON as possible. But seriously turn away now, if you want to do medicine focus on another path.

study harder and do MD or DO. Keep doing more research about podiatry. Talk to as many people IN PERSON as possible. But seriously turn away now, if you want to do medicine focus on another path.

Are you a DPM? Could you please extend your response as to why you believe someone interested in medicine should focus on another path?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a DPM? Could you please extend your response as to why you believe someone interested in medicine should focus on another path?

You recently discovered podiatry. Learn A LOT more about it from real people, not people online. Shadow if still interested. Don't go into the prepod forum and see the echo chamber that will reinforce your interest. And yes I am pod. I have a good job. But I know way too many well trained people that don't have a good job. And I don't like the future.

Agreed.

Yes, Yes Please follow the advice above. The DPM opportunity is too expensive for the return on investment. I am a DPM and have forbidden my kids from going into podiatry.

Been gone awhile. Been so busy. Havent had a lot of time to read these threads. I scrolled through the top 10 threads. A lot of disgruntled posters these days. What happened? When I left everyone seemed pretty happy with their jobs.

I grossed ~340k my first year out. Taxes suck...

The family practice docs who I started with make 180k. The pediatrician i also started with makes around 160k but she wouldnt say for sure. There is a bonus structure so I'm sure they made more. My base is 240k+ bonus + surgical RVUs. I do work roughly double the hours they do though. They're always home. I'm always working.

DO school apparently costs 350+k so I'm not sure thats the best advice if they are getting in the ball park of 180k at graduation to be a family medicine provider. MD is cheaper due to in state tuition. Obviously specialty is the way to go for MD/DO... If you get it.

Podiatry tuition is 200-300k if youre smart about it. Could easily break 350k though pending lifestyle/location

Podiatry is great. Just gotta work for it. I would do it again for sure. Maybe i'm lucky? My close friends and co-residents are all crushing it too....

I've said it before on here and i'll say it again:
"Hang out with the smart kids who dont complain a lot"
My dad taught me that and It's been pretty solid advice.

We need a good karma post from Natch. He/she always seems pretty easy going.

Reactions: 6 users
I was rounding today at the hospital. I overheard two hospitalists discussing their salary. I overheard them state their salary is 130k. That seems low to me for what I would expect a hospitalist to make. I would assume they get a bonus of some type.

....Now I understand why they try to deny every admission under the sun.

Reactions: 2 users
....Or the hospitalist says you take primary and I will consult for comorbidity management.

Finding high quality podiatry jobs is extremely difficult. Any advertised hospital job is going to get 50-100 applications with the first 24 hours. Those kind of jobs are really available to DPMs with extensive experience or the “fellowship” trained DPMs

Your best bet is to cold call small community hospitals to see if they are interested

Reactions: 1 users
I will say this and say it loud: if you are fellowship trained, I will do my best and hardest to prevent you from joining my workplace. Why would I, a younger well - trained surgeon still building his practice (without fellowship training), hire someone who is in fact LESS experienced than I am, but essentially, has all the podiatry gimmicky marketing of the word "fellowship". For all those considering fellowship out there, think hard about what I'm saying. You will most likely end up in a private practice scenario where they are looking for....marketability.

If you do end up in a hospital system, it will be because there are some existing TFPs who don't bring anything to the table and no one listens to them. This is less frequent now as hospitals are getting wise as to what it is that we can do for them. The training for all of us is definitely improved from the training podiatrists received 20 years ago. You don't know it yet, but you are making enemies with the generally well - trained amongst you who don't have fellowships.

Maybe I'll change my mind when my volume grows and I need an extra pair of hands. . . then, I'll start a fellowship. And the cycle goes on. Cue the circle of life from the lion king.

I will say this and say it loud: if you are fellowship trained, I will do my best and hardest to prevent you from joining my workplace. Why would I, a younger well - trained surgeon still building his practice (without fellowship training), hire someone who is in fact LESS experienced than I am, but essentially, has all the podiatry gimmicky marketing of the word "fellowship". For all those considering fellowship out there, think hard about what I'm saying. You will most likely end up in a private practice scenario where they are looking for....marketability.

If you do end up in a hospital system, it will be because there are some existing TFPs who don't bring anything to the table and no one listens to them. This is less frequent now as hospitals are getting wise as to what it is that we can do for them. The training for all of us is definitely improved from the training podiatrists received 20 years ago. You don't know it yet, but you are making enemies with the generally well - trained amongst you who don't have fellowships.

Maybe I'll change my mind when my volume grows and I need an extra pair of hands. . . then, I'll start a fellowship. And the cycle goes on. Cue the circle of life from the lion king.

I’d be shocked if a private practice podiatry group is going to spend money marketing you. That’s pretty generous in the podiatry world. Private podiatry sucks

I’d be shocked if a private practice podiatry group is going to spend money marketing you. That’s pretty generous in the podiatry world. Private podiatry sucks

Truth. LOL. Especially if you look like me.

Last edited:
Finding high quality podiatry jobs is extremely difficult. Any advertised hospital job is going to get 50-100 applications with the first 24 hours. Those kind of jobs are really available to DPMs with extensive experience or the “fellowship” trained DPMs

Your best bet is to cold call small community hospitals to see if they are interested

Working for a hospital group we receive between 2-5 unsolicited resumes per month. I sometimes wonder if this could negatively impact any RVU rate negotiations with the hospital.

Contacting smaller hospital systems without staff podiatrists is a great idea. It goes without saying that the onus is on you to present them with the financials they may be missing out on.

Working for a hospital group we receive between 2-5 unsolicited resumes per month. I sometimes wonder if this could negatively impact any RVU rate negotiations with the hospital.

Contacting smaller hospital systems without staff podiatrists is a great idea. It goes without saying that the onus is on you to present them with the financials they may be missing out on.

The unsolicited resumes won’t have any negative impact on your RVU negotiations if you are producing.

Hospitals are not very loyal. Small community hospitals like to make money so they can keep their doors open.

If you are not producing and your patient satisfaction scores stink too then you are on the chopping block

Reactions: 1 user
The unsolicited resumes won’t have any negative impact on your RVU negotiations if you are producing.

Hospitals are not very loyal. Small community hospitals like to make money so they can keep their doors open.

If you are not producing and your patient satisfaction scores stink too then you are on the chopping block

I don't necessarily agree with that. At leas tmore rural locations. Unless you are a total disaster that is. If you are overall profitable but not technically paying your salary based on. RVU production, I would think the path of least resistance for them is easier. It looks bad on all parties to be cycling through providers. Downstream revenue cannot be overlooked. For example I order all pre-op x-rays ekg labs etc for my patients because my name gets tagged to them. Our PCPs are the ones who obviously look at and review and clear them. Same in the ER I order x-rays not them. This is all conjecture though. Big hospital systems would be more likely to cycle through I think.

Last edited:

What a shame that this is what you have to do to land a JOB get many rejections and hopefully land something ..... it pretty much devalues your degree's worth !!

Reactions: 1 users