The Last SMDEP Thread EVER!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so on my SMDEP view status page it says CONFIRMED for columbia...

am I suppose to receive a confirmation e-mail from Columbia?

Yes they should send it to you via email. Be sure to send the reply in ASAP via regular mail, becuase I think they give you less than a week to reply, and if you live far away, like us Texans, it does take a while. Investing in priority or second day dilevery might be a good idea in that case. Good luck and congratulations! I hope to see you there!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted at Columbia. I was accepted for the dental portion but I'm sure I'll see all of you pre-med students there.

Last edited:
Accepted to Columbia today! Couldn't be more excited. Anyone else from AZ going?

Members don't see this ad :)
My application, transcript, and recommendations have been "received" the entire week, but I had no status update during this time. Am I reading too much into this, or am I probably not going to be accepted to any program?

After your application is sent and your transcripts received, the sites have 10 business days to give you an answer. They may exceed this time frame if they wish to see your letters before they give you an answer. You should be getting word soon.

hi i'm new to this but i was wondering if anyone could help me answer a few questions. my application has been complete for about 10 business days and only one of my sites (yale) says not yet processed. its said this for about 4 days now and i haven't gotten any type of email. does this mean i wasn't accepted? also how long did it take to hear a reply from columbia and howard? it still has dashes under the status.

hi i'm new to this but i was wondering if anyone could help me answer a few questions. my application has been complete for about 10 business days and only one of my sites (yale) says not yet processed. its said this for about 4 days now and i haven't gotten any type of email. does this mean i wasn't accepted? also how long did it take to hear a reply from columbia and howard? it still has dashes under the status.
I wish I could help, but I'm in almost the same situation. My Houston application says "Not yet processed," but the two other schools I applied to have the --- under the status...

Hey all, I am thinking about applying to this program next year (I will be a sophomore then). I have looked around and can't find much information about admissions. What is competitive when applying to these programs? What factors do they include when making a decision?

Thanks.

No, "Not Yet Processed" doesn't mean that you were denied or accepted. Like I said, the time frame may exceed the 10 days if your letters haven't been received. --> This is what I was told by an SMDEP rep.

As for the poster who asked about what goes into the admissions process:
1. Application, including ECs, URM and disadvantaged status, and two essays
2. Transcripts
3. LORs

It seems that #1 is given the most weight as people have been getting in with a wide range of GPAs and many are accepted before their LORs are even received, as in my case.

As for the poster who asked about what goes into the admissions process:
1. Application, including ECs, URM and disadvantaged status, and two essays
2. Transcripts
3. LORs

It seems that #1 is given the most weight as people have been getting in with a wide range of GPAs and many are accepted before their LORs are even received, as in my case.

So basically, I am at a disadvantage already because I am a Caucasian male?

ahh, i just submitted my app.
im so nervous.

and how long have they been taking to process yalls transcripts? i sent mine like 2 weeks ago, and they still havent received them.

I am also a Caucasian male. From what I heard, only about 9% of student in the SMDEP Program are Caucasian. Some of the programs seem to accept for white students, while others exclusively target URMs.

In other news, I just received my first decision from a school: rejected from Columbia. It was my reach, but is still sucks.

Although this is my first time posting, I have been following since November. To those new to the thread, I think it would be best to read through the past questions, answers and discussions. Last years' participants have already gone through what we are going through now, and have been/can be a great help in mapping out the admission process.

I submitted my application on January 27th, my transcripts had already been received by that time, my LORs where sent at the beginning of the month and have still not arrived. It was mentioned in past posts a few times that once sites have received the electronic app, and transcripts they can make a decision w/out the LORs.

As of January 28th two cites were updated as "Not yet processed," I checked my e-mail and both my acceptances were there. This was mentioned before by some of the smdep alumni, but I don't mind re-stating it: Anyone who has the status "Not yet processed," it usually means that a decision has already been made. Check your e-mail you should be receiving an answer (acceptance/rejection) very soon. If not, and it is past your review period, try calling the individual sites (the representatives are very nice!).

So far, I have been accepted to Case and U Wash ….. I have read information on both sites, but I still don't know which one to choose (there are pros and cons to both). If anyone has any input or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!!! THANKS

P.S CONGRATS to all who have been accepted, and best of luck to those waiting! Let me know if you have any questions for me, or about my application process; I will be happy to answer!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry... I didn't mean to post again, but it wouldnt let me delete the post so I'll improvise...Is there any way we can set up a chart (like last year's) to list where everyone is going? I know it is possible, im just not familiar as to how.

Last edited:

Who Is Eligible for SMDEP?

To be eligible for SMDEP, an applicant must:

-be currently enrolled as a freshman or sophomore in college;
-have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0, with 2.75 in the sciences;
-be a U.S. citizen or hold a permanent resident visa; and
-not have participated in SMDEP previously.

Other factors considered in the admissions process include whether an applicant:

-has a combined verbal and math SAT score of at least 950 or ACT score of at least 20;
-identifies with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in medicine and dentistry (as defined independently by each program site);
-comes from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background;
-has demonstrated interest in issues affecting underserved populations;

-has local and/or regional residency; and
-submits a compelling personal statement and strong letters of recommendation.

Taken right from the site. This program caters to these types of students to make them more competitive for med and dental school admission. You don't necessarily have to be a URM, just meet one of these criterion.

Last edited:
Sorry... I didn't mean to post again, but it wouldnt let me delete the post so I'll improvise...Is there any way we can set up a chart (like last year's) to list where everyone is going? I know it is possible, im just not familiar as to how.

Case Western Reserve University Schools of Medicine and Dental Medicine (OH)

Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and College of Dental Medicine (NY) Double A

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and UCLA School of Dentistry (CA)

Duke University School of Medicine (NC)

Howard University Colleges of Arts & Sciences, Dentistry and Medicine (DC)

The University of Texas Dental Branch and Medical School at Houston (TX)

UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical and New Jersey Dental Schools (NJ)

University of Louisville Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (KY)

University of Nebraska Medical Center, Colleges of Medicine and Dentistry (NE)

University of Virginia School of Medicine (VA)

University of Washington Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (WA)

Yale University School of Medicine (CT)

Like this? Add to the list!

Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and College of Dental Medicine (NY) Double A

Duke University School of Medicine (NC) ARFANDADA

University of Washington Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (WA)

Like this? Add to the list!
updated

Thanks Double A for forming the list.

University of Washington Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (WA) Wades

I went ahead and confirmed with U Wash instead of Case, I hope I made the right choice! Goodluck every one!

:) Hey everyone!:
I created a facebook group for Columbia SMDEP applicants, alumni, and students for 09'. Please feel free to join. One of my good friends went last year and is very excited to tell us all about it. Just look up Columbia SMDEP 09' and you will find it. Good luck to everyone and I hope yall all get accepted to where you want to go!!!!!

Hey, I feel so excited now that I got accepted into Columbia. It was definitely my first choice, I also got accepted to UV and I was waiting to hear back from Duke, but again Columbia was my first choice so it wasn't even a hard decision.

I just added you to my facebook! Yay, for NYC!

I just got into Nebraska Medical School. I have until Feb. 15th to reply, but I'm waiting for UVA and Case Western.

Any suggestion as to what I would be the best option for me?

thank you!

I just got into Nebraska Medical School. I have until Feb. 15th to reply, but I'm waiting for UVA and Case Western.

Any suggestion as to what I would be the best option for me?

thank you!

Wait for the other schools for respond unless Nebraska is your first choice. You can always express mail it if it gets close to the deadline. Guarantees next day delivery.

well they want an email response, but they say the allocated spots are filling up so it's in my best interest to reply ASAP.

I'm sure Nebraska is good, but I hear SMDEP may help with your admission chance when you apply to med schools. In that case, I would like to participate in SMDEP in UVA (in-state)...

So I guess I will wait.

So my transcripts have finally been "Received/Approved" but my LORs are still M.I.A. I completed my application a while ago and according to the posters on this thread from last year, the school's don't really have to wait until they get LORs to accept or deny.

Hopefully I'll be finding out in the next couple of days! I've applied to Yale, UWash and Columbia. I don't really want to go to Columbia, but I'll definitely go if I somehow get denied from the others.

So my transcripts have finally been "Received/Approved" but my LORs are still M.I.A. I completed my application a while ago and according to the posters on this thread from last year, the school's don't really have to wait until they get LORs to accept or deny.

Hopefully I'll be finding out in the next couple of days! I've applied to Yale, UWash and Columbia. I don't really want to go to Columbia, but I'll definitely go if I somehow get denied from the others.

Blasphemy

i heard back from two of my sites on the 11th business day. Today is about the 14th business day and i still haven't heard anything from Howard. I've tried emailing and calling but they're impossible to get in contact with! Has anybody else encountered a similar situation? any advice?

i heard back from two of my sites on the 11th business day. Today is about the 14th business day and i still haven't heard anything from Howard. I've tried emailing and calling but they're impossible to get in contact with! Has anybody else encountered a similar situation? any advice?

From what I've read in earlier posts, that might be because Howard has a ton of applications to go through.

Double A: How is that blasphemy?

Same thing is happening with me and NJ. It's most likely due to the fact that only one of my letters has been received and that was today.

Isis: I'm kidding.

Hahaha, of course.

So if they only receive one LOR, will the schools take the whole application & junk and accept/deny us? I finally had one of my LORs received and processed by SMDEP today but the other was sent a week after that one. It would suck so much if I had to wait for that one as well, I just want to know already.

Isisfusion:
My LORs have YET to show up, and all three of the sites i've applied to accepted me without them. You shouldnt have to wait, but it depends on whether or not the sites can make a decision without recommendations...If you have the "not yet processed" status, you should know within a few days! good luck!

I applied Case, UVA, and U Wash......( i chose U Wash)

so my two recs have gotten there but not my transcript and I sent it off a good 2 weeks ago!!!!!

Thanks, UVA's program site appeals to me the most actually because of their "cutting edge lecture series" as they call it. Only thing I dislike about their site is that they expect you to provide your own meals. My cooking skills are fine, but I can easily see how it would be bothersome to cook for every meal; also, a significant portion of your stipend would have to go to the meals that they don't provide! That alone makes me want to reconsider another site.
Yeah, the meal situation at UVA is kind of concerning. However, it was the only program I was accepted to, so I guess I'll have to deal with it!

University of Virginia School of Medicine (VA) JSJ1313

so my two recs have gotten there but not my transcript and I sent it off a good 2 weeks ago!!!!!

I had to wait close to a month... ouch! Now I'm waiting for like 5 months... I want this semester to be over...

I had to wait close to a month... ouch! Now I'm waiting for like 5 months... I want this semester to be over...

You are definitely preaching to the choir there, I am swamped!

Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and College of Dental Medicine (NY) Double A, Jaadi

I know we have to give responses to all the places that accept us (if they all do), but Duke's status on my user page just says Not Yet Confirmed. I haven't received an e-mail from them yet either. I already sent in my reply form to the school of my choice, so I'm hoping this won't jeopardize it?

Anyone having that kind of communication problem with Duke?

This 10 day wait period is killing me....:cool:

Applied to U Wash, Yale, and Columbia...

Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and College of Dental Medicine (NY) Double A, Jaadi, chinchinchin

I know we have to give responses to all the places that accept us (if they all do), but Duke's status on my user page just says Not Yet Confirmed. I haven't received an e-mail from them yet either. I already sent in my reply form to the school of my choice, so I'm hoping this won't jeopardize it?

Anyone having that kind of communication problem with Duke?

I don't really see anything you can do. I guess try calling the SMDEP office or even Duke to ask what you should do.

anyone who applied to case or UVA?
did you guys get an email or any notification about when your app was received, etc?

did you guys get an email or any notification about when your app was received, etc?

I applied to UVA. I still haven't received an email or any notification from them. Their decision is posted on the SMDEP site though.

haha, so i called the SMDEP office(s) and the guy I spoke with said they'd received my transcript but it hasnt been fully processed and that's why the status is still "--". so long as my app gets to my sites really, im good lol. i just really need to know!!!! hahah this anticipation business is so cruel! :smack:

haha, so i called the SMDEP office(s) and the guy I spoke with said they'd received my transcript but it hasnt been fully processed and that's why the status is still "--". so long as my app gets to my sites really, im good lol. i just really need to know!!!! hahah this anticipation business is so cruel! :smack:

Yesss it is. Where did you apply?

I applied to UVA they did send out an email of acceptance for me on January 30, but my application was accepted on the 28th, and I submitted my application on the 14th. So don't worry too much about the ten day period. However, Duke is really not with the program. I haven't heard anything from them either.

I applied to UVA they did send out an email of acceptance for me on January 30, but my application was accepted on the 28th, and I submitted my application on the 14th. So don't worry too much about the ten day period. However, Duke is really not with the program. I haven't heard anything from them either.
That's interesting that you received an email from UVA... I haven't received an email from them, but my status page on the SMDEP application website says "Accepted."

JUST ACCEPTED TO U WASH!!!:D

Holding out for Columbia thought....:rolleyes:

Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and College of Dental Medicine (NY) Double A, Jaadi, chinchinchin

Yale University School of Medicine (CT) vucm

PS. thanks double a for your advice... everything cleared out the next day.... it was just me getting all anxious, haha.

Yale University School of Medicine (CT) vucm

PS. thanks double a for your advice... everything cleared out the next day.... it was just me getting all anxious, haha.

Did you choose Yale over Duke? Or did Duke not show you any love?

Did you choose Yale over Duke? Or did Duke not show you any love?

Yale was my first choice and funny enough, was the first to hear from! I didn't get any love from Columbia, but it's all good. I accepted Yale's offer before Duke actually made some kind of permanent decision. But yes, life is good!