The Last SMDEP Thread EVER!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was at the Louisville program 2 years ago, I really enjoyed it, and they remember you when you apply to their medical school.

Good to hear!! Does Louisville evaluate you in any way? I know Yale does and then sends the evaluations to the people who wrote the LOR.

Members don't see this ad.

well i think uva is easy because accpeted me fast and easy.
When did you apply? After reading the program sites for each school, I think I will end up applying to UVA, Texas, and either Nebraska, Yale, Columbia, or Duke. Which of those last four do I have the best chance at (which is the least selective)?

When did you apply? After reading the program sites for each school, I think I will end up applying to UVA, Texas, and either Nebraska, Yale, Columbia, or Duke. Which of those last four do I have the best chance at (which is the least selective)?

Nebraska. From what I've read, Columbia, Yale, and Duke are the 3 most competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)

nebraska is a good program and they remember you too! i applied last year and couldnt go so when i applied this year the director of their smdep wrote me an email saying it was great to see my name again:eek: unfortunately i confirmed with washington before nebraska made their choice....great program but their start dates make it impossible for me to take any classes over the summer:rolleyes:

i applied real early november 7th 2008 i think yale is easier in my opinion. then duke then columbia. i think yale perfers urms more.

Well Columbia explicitly lists their requirements on an SMDEP powerpoint you can find on the site. I believe one is that you must be a URM, don't quote me on that though.

hey guys,
in terms of selectivity, it's hard to say which is more competitive but the top 3 programs to fill first have been columbia duke and yale (not in order);

columbia med fills up fastest each year because of nyc, but also because it has 60 spots whereas duke, yale (and uva?) have about 80 spots because there is no dental program (columbia dental and the others have 20 spots). sites w/ no dental have about 20 more md spots.

also, according to the literature and speeches we were given at yale, our site is consistently the most or second most selective site. ecs/awards/scholarshps/essays lors weigh in heavily because a lot of the ppl who apply have great grades.

also another factor is that yale takes in about 15 rising freshman through some scholar program. if i remember correctly, that factors into the 80 spots...well either that program or the scholar program for this nearby ct high school.. one of them counts towards the 80. even those programs are very selective- a number of them were valedictorians and salutatorians.

i applied real early november 7th 2008 i think yale is easier in my opinion. then duke then columbia. i think yale perfers urms more.

unfortunately you haven't seen the columbia/yale/duke smdep students. the vast majority of folks in all 3 programs are minorities, so you could say these sites all prefer urms. if you have a fb account you can sift through the pics in the groups for this past summer.
and as JustMeBaby points out, her stats are great and she's a minority but she wasnt accepted to yale (unfortunately, but you'll have a blast at uw anyways!). as written in the acceptance emails, the yale site is very selective.

Last edited:
Well Columbia explicitly lists their requirements on an SMDEP powerpoint you can find on the site. I believe one is that you must be a URM, don't quote me on that though.

I was at the columbia site last year, there we a couple of people that were not URMs'.

OVER THOUSANDS POSTS!

I mean the whole program was created to provide an opportunity for URM's from disadvatanged socio economic backgrounds which is the reason they ask those questions on the application HOWEVER Im sure sites realize that there are students that are not URMs that deserve the opportunity especialy those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

As redlight said, the programs without dental programs should have more spots to award. Also the programs that arent big names (yale, columbia, duke ect) will most likely have more applicants because let's face it...who wouldn't want to say they went to yale for the summer:p

Last year I was accepted to all three programs I applied to (nebraska, texas and new jersey) with the same GPA and background. I chose my programs based on the programs themselves. Do that and things work out better. Just think, all the programs do offer different things so if you choose a porgram based mainly on getting in as opposed to what they offer....you might get in but you might not like the program.:cool:

I just got accepted to Columbia! =) haha, I guess Columbia looks more into extracurriculars and essay than GPA (thankfully). So I'm definitely going to Columbia this summer.

Last edited:
I just got accepted to Columbia! =) haha, I guess Columbia looks more into extracurriculars and essay than GPA (thankfully). So I'm definitely going to Columbia this summer.

just got into to duke!!!!!!! :eek::eek::D here i come north carolina!!!!!!

Last edited:
Bump.

I've sent my transcript, almost finished my application, and my teacher recs should be complete by the end of the week. As of now, my list of programs goes: Houston, Virginia, and Nebraska.

How are everyone else's applications coming? Anyone get into the program in the last couple of days?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to hear!! Does Louisville evaluate you in any way? I know Yale does and then sends the evaluations to the people who wrote the LOR.

When I was there we were given a test before the program began, the first day we were there, or the first Monday. We worked in small groups, and then had PBLs once a week. We would then have a quiz over the information we covered, I think we had 3 or 4 quizes. There was then a final at the end of this time period to judge just how much you had learned. Your final grade was based on this, and your participation during the PBLs, I think. I know all of the quizzes and final contributed, I'm not sure if they keep this information on file, but they instantly remembered me when I was applying. I received a phone call telling me to go visit them sometime during my interview day, so they keep track of you.

hey any females going to University of Washington? I would love to make a friend of two in advance......maybe we could share a room too!

Do you guys think by going to one SMDEP site over another that it would hurt your chances of being accepted to the medical school of the site you did not choose?

let me know if want me to clarify.

Do you guys think by going to one SMDEP site over another that it would hurt your chances of being accepted to the medical school of the site you did not choose?

let me know if want me to clarify.

I highly doubt it would matter at all. People are saying the site you attended keeps tabs on you and remembers when you apply, but I can't see them wasting their time keeping tabs on people who rejected their acceptance. But, if you are seriously considering one of the sites for med school, why not go there and see what it's like?

I highly doubt it would matter at all. People are saying the site you attended keeps tabs on you and remembers when you apply, but I can't see them wasting their time keeping tabs on people who rejected their acceptance. But, if you are seriously considering one of the sites for med school, why not go there and see what it's like?

Yeah, I know that was what I was thinking but one site has a class that might help me more with writing which I want. It is just that I might have a real hard time to get into it for med.

Yeah, I know that was what I was thinking but one site has a class that might help me more with writing which I want. It is just that I might have a real hard time to get into it for med.

Ah I see. Well all I know is that if your biggest dilemma is choosing between 2+ acceptances, you're not doing so bad. Go to that site if you think the writing course will really help you. That may be more valuable to your app than the site remembering your name.

Ah I see. Well all I know is that if your biggest dilemma is choosing between 2+ acceptances, you're not doing so bad. Go to that site if you think the writing course will really help you. That may be more valuable to your app than the site remembering your name.

Thanks, I guess I will just explain that to the other site if I ever were to get an interview to that school.

AWSOME< INCREDIBLE<EXCELLENT PROGRAM!!!! If you go to UMDNJ you even get to disect cadavers every other day!!:eek: Faculty is awsome and HELPFUL! overall Greatest summer experience EVER!!

I sent in my application December 16th to the following sites: Columbia, UCLA, and Yale
So far I've heard back from Columbia and UCLA, and I was accepted to both...I really want to go to the UCLA site...I'm just waiting for my parents to give me permission to travel across the country (I live in NJ)

Has anybody attended the one at UCLA? If so is there any info that you can give me about it?

Thanks!

So...somehow I was rejected from the site I really really wanted to go to which was Washington...but luckily I got accepted into Yale and Columbia (kinda weird huh?) but I'll be in New York this summer :) Anyone else going to Columbia?

So...somehow I was rejected from the site I really really wanted to go to which was Washington...but luckily I got accepted into Yale and Columbia (kinda weird huh?) but I'll be in New York this summer :) Anyone else going to Columbia?

sorry about the rejection, but congrats on Yale and Columbia! I will also be attending Columbia this summer.

I sent in my application December 16th to the following sites: Columbia, UCLA, and Yale
So far I've heard back from Columbia and UCLA, and I was accepted to both...I really want to go to the UCLA site...I'm just waiting for my parents to give me permission to travel across the country (I live in NJ)

Has anybody attended the one at UCLA? If so is there any info that you can give me about it?

Thanks!
i didn't go to ucla, but i found this website when deciding where to apply.

http://www.medsch.ucla.edu/smdep/multimedia.htm

well, the video was ...interesting... lol.. a lil too mushy for my tastes but their program sounds really dynamic... plus, LA!! congrats.

Hey so all my stuff got in last week and one of my sites now says Not Yet Processed. Does that mean i was rejected from there? if not what do they say if you are rejected.

They've made a decision but it's just not posted. It'll probably be there tomorrow or in a couple of days. Its either not accepted or accepted. They also send out emails if you are accepted

where does it say if theyve received the transcripts?
I think it should say it on the "View Status" page of your SMDEP application. Of course, I can't be certain because mine still says "-----" even though I sent my transcript in a week ago...

I think it should say it on the "View Status" page of your SMDEP application. Of course, I can't be certain because mine still says "-----" even though I sent my transcript in a week ago...

Yeah I sent mine in almost two weeks ago and it just posted a few days ago. Which sites did you apply to?

Yeah I sent mine in almost two weeks ago and it just posted a few days ago. Which sites did you apply to?
I ended up applying to Virginia, Houston, and Columbia (reach). I was going to apply to Nebraska, but in the end I decided I probably would not like spending a significant part of my summer in Omaha.

Which programs did you apply to?

I applied to Virginia, Columbia, and NJ. Columbia is by far my first choice. If all goes well and we're both lucky I'll see you there lol.

Well, now I feel like I'm getting somewhere - my transcript was finally received! Anyone else get any news on the program?

1/22/09- Accepted into Columbia
1/20/09- Accepted into Yale

Nothing yet on UV program...

My stats, becuase people seem to want to know what you need i guess..

GPA overall: 3.8
Science GPA: 4.0
Race: white
Major: English

I am also classified as "very poor" since my family lives off SSI and food stamps. I go to Texas A&M University.

It took about one moth to recieve answers becuase of the holidays and transcript delays. I think Columbia looks the best, but I like Yales setup and the fact that the stipend is given before the end of the program.

I wrote my essyas on volunteering in Dallas while we lived in section 8 apartments and volunteering in Mexico last summer. I think the best thing is GET THE APPLICATION IN EARLY!!!!

sorry about the rejection, but congrats on Yale and Columbia! I will also be attending Columbia this summer.

I think i am! I got acceopted into Yale and Columbia too... so I guess I'll be seeing you there!

I am also classified as "very poor" since my family lives off SSI and food stamps. I go to Texas A&M University.

It took about one moth to recieve answers becuase of the holidays and transcript delays. I think Columbia looks the best, but I like Yales setup and the fact that the stipend is given before the end of the program.

I wrote my essyas on volunteering in Dallas while we lived in section 8 apartments and volunteering in Mexico last summer. I think the best thing is GET THE APPLICATION IN EARLY!!!!

Congrats on your acceptances! As Columbia SMDEP Alumni I would like to tell you that the stipend is distrubuted in chunks during the program duration. Well that is what happened last year.

Congratulations! I have gained some hope for being admitted into the Columbia program from you. When did you send in your application?

I'm getting extremely scared about this rejections that I'm hearing from people :eek:

I turned in my online application on Thursday, the 22nd, and both of my transcripts are on the way. Even though I've heard that the LORs don't really matter as much, one will be sent on Monday and the other should already be sent. Should I have waited until I knew my transcripts were sent to SMDEP before I submitted my application?

I'm freaking out!!!!! Although I do have the option of applying next year as well, I don't want to have to go through the hassle again.

And how long did it take for you guys to receive an answer after you applied?

EDIT: Nevermind. After digging through the site, I found "The National Program Office will then determine if all official transcripts and recommendations have arrived. If not, your application will be held until all documents are processed." Thank goodness, I need to relax!

Last edited:
I applied November 13 and sent my transcripts like the 10th but they did not get them until 3 weeks later. I received my rejection from Washington December 19 and Yale and Columbia accepted me like Jan 7 or somewhere around there....and my recommendation is no where to be found so don't freak out if they don't receive your recommendations. As long as they have your transcripts you should be fine

I applied November 13 and sent my transcripts like the 10th but they did not get them until 3 weeks later. I received my rejection from Washington December 19 and Yale and Columbia accepted me like Jan 7 or somewhere around there....and my recommendation is no where to be found so don't freak out if they don't receive your recommendations. As long as they have your transcripts you should be fine

People keep saying something to this effect, but I have spoken with multiple SMDEP reps and they keep telling me that they wait until all documents are received (including LORs) before they send anything to the sites. This annoys me because my app was completed on Jan 5th, my transcripts were received/approved about a week later, and my LORs are still nowhere to be found...

My letters of recommendation have been received and my transcript has already been processed for a week. I guess I will hear decisions from the schools in the coming days (I hope). UT-Houston already had a "Not yet processed" status on my application prior to confirmation that my LOR's were received... I hope this is good news?

so on my SMDEP view status page it says CONFIRMED for columbia...

am I suppose to receive a confirmation e-mail from Columbia?

Hey everyone!

I applied to yale,duke and nj. Got rejected from yale and nj. But recieved an email from duke saying that they need the grades and courses for fall 08! I know this doesn't indicate anything, but I'm just so excited that I finally heard from them after all this wait! ( I applied the week apps opened up)
I just don't feel too good about my grades... one A and two B's. ( One B+ and one B- ) and a 2 unit P/NP But the school I go to is very competitive....

Did anyone else get this email?
Everone says that they want underepresented poor minority. I wonder how I got rejected from those two sites?! I seem to qualify for that and I have a ~3.7 gpa.
I'm really getting my hopes up for duke. I've been checking the website like 10 times a day!
Pray for me guys! I hope everyone gets at least one of their choices!

GO DUKE!

And hopefully it's not the end of the world. there are plenty of other programs to take advantage of and this is just one of them. I do still wish I'd get in! Spent so much time on those essays :) as for the sites that rejected me, It's "Their" loss!

hey, would anyone that will be attending Columbia this summer want to start a facebook group if they have one? it would be nice to know/become familiar with some people prior to the program.

wow you have chose washington university?? same here...

i have already been accepted too.... should i confirm now?? how long can I wait to confirm because i m waiting for columbia

hey, would anyone that will be attending Columbia this summer want to start a facebook group if they have one? it would be nice to know/become familiar with some people prior to the program.

Yeah I would! I am going to Columbia after all, becuase Yale and Virginia didn't seem as intense and I am a Texan girl, so a little bit on New York culture can't hurt me! Just tell me when you want to start the facebook group and we can recruit the other 58 of us.

:) Hey everyone!:
I created a facebook group for Columbia SMDEP applicants, alumni, and students for 09'. Please feel free to join. One of my good friends went last year and is very excited to tell us all about it. Just look up Columbia SMDEP 09' and you will find it. Good luck to everyone and I hope yall all get accepted to where you want to go!!!!!