The Late Night Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StephBee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:p I decided I wanted to take advantage of cheap NY state wine before I graduate next month... Sitting at home, drinking a bottle while watching movies = wayy better than going downtown, spending lots of money, and trying to figure out how to get home.

I feel like I'm officially old.

On second thought, now I'm craving jelly beans. Just watched a harry potter movie so Berty Botts Every Flavored Beans. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

DrYoda

Space Cowboy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:p I decided I wanted to take advantage of cheap NY state wine before I graduate next month... Sitting at home, drinking a bottle while watching movies = wayy better than going downtown, spending lots of money, and trying to figure out how to get home.

I feel like I'm officially old.

On second thought, now I'm craving jelly beans. Just watched a harry potter movie so Berty Botts Every Flavored Beans. :smuggrin:

Doing anything cool with all that time after graduation?

CougarMD

Come up screaming
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just don't eat the booger flavored ones, Steph;)

I'm now looking for another movie to watch on Netflix. Suggestions welcome:)

Members don't see this ad :)

wolverinepwns

Si vis pacem, para bellum
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the docs just brought in strawberry filled (not jelly, but actual strawberries) donuts! i think i had 4 in 30 seconds!!!! I can feel the sugar rush coming!

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the carb crash is going to keep you from any possible joy for the next few hours. good luck.

they do sound delicious though

StephBee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing anything cool with all that time after graduation?

Not particularly. Enjoy being 21? :p
It's lame cause I could have graduate late year. I came in as a sophomore thanks to AP credits and EVERY advisor i talked to discouraged me from graduating early. "What's the rush?"

Uh.. the rush is that i've got another like 8-10 years of school ahead of me if I get into MD/PhD.

So I was dumb and listened to them. So I'm finishing an english minor this semester then going home.

The plan: work, party, attend interviews, keep up pre-med stuff in case I don't get in. The usual. :laugh: Might travel next summer if I don't get in anywhere.

Edit: I'm lame and always end up falling asleep before I can reply to people and it's no longer "late night." C'est la Vie.

Helen Wheels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Uh.. the rush is that i've got another like 8-10 years of school ahead of me if I get into MD/PhD.

You are young. Enjoy the ride. :) I would have gone MD/PhD if I'd had the stats. Anyway, I'm kind of too old for it now. :oops:

CougarMD said:
Also...this website is cracking me up tonight
http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/

What is with all the partial nudity family photos? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)

Helen Wheels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ColeOntheRoll said:
I'm awake getting punched in the balls repeatedly by pchem/pchem lab. Trade?

Ouch, sounds painful. I never had the pleasure of taking pchem but I hear it is a bear.

DrYoda said:
Cramming for my final.

Going to benadryl myself to sleep in a few minutes.

Good luck on your final, DrYoda. :luck:

CougarMD said:
You totally reminded me to take my pants out of the dryer before they wrinkled....thanks:)

I hate ironing! :laugh: Really, we send people to live in the space station but no one can invent fabric that doesn't wrinkle even if you let it sit in the dryer or throw it somewhere rolled up in a ball? :annoyed:

Mithril

Johnny Canuck
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a virology midterm tomorrow night at 6:30pm and I'll be notified if I get an interview or not from UBC sometime in the morning.

Am I nervous? You bet your perineum.

wolverinepwns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had three 20 oz cups of coffee so far tonight and I'm still falling sleep at work!

wolverinepwns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had eight 8 oz cups and I'm trippin balls. I'm a caffeine lightweight.

I wish I was like that! I really do! I think it would be much healthier too, cuz I really don't think 60 oz of coffee in 5 hrs is a healthy choice!

StephBee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You are young. Enjoy the ride. :) I would have gone MD/PhD if I'd had the stats. Anyway, I'm kind of too old for it now.

:p i don't have the stats for it either really. I mean, my gpa is good but my MCAT = fail.

side note: I can't wait for turkey. Like, I've completely given up on my classes for the week. I've literally got 30 days till graduation, a week of which is turkey day break. The stupid part is that I've got an entire week between my last class and my one and only final. And the prof REFUSES to let me take it early. I'll probably drive down to Baltimore and hang out with a friend who goes to hopkins.

think visiting a friend counts as being 'in the area' for interviews? :rolleyes:

wolverinepwns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I kinda want to add some redbull to a double shot of espresso, I wonder if my heart can take it?

StephBee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
that entirely depends on how caffine tolerant you are.
It's the 5 hour energy things that scare me. One too many news reports of people stroaking out. They're awesome though...all the energy, none of the groggy crash or the 'OMG my stomach is so full of liquid (coffee, energy drinks etc)'

PS ; my damn shift key acting up! takes like 5 presses to finally get a capital letter. Laptop fail. I think it's time to get a new one.

chman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
that entirely depends on how caffine tolerant you are.
It's the 5 hour energy things that scare me. One too many news reports of people stroaking out. They're awesome though...all the energy, none of the groggy crash or the 'OMG my stomach is so full of liquid (coffee, energy drinks etc)'

PS ; my damn shift key acting up! takes like 5 presses to finally get a capital letter. Laptop fail. I think it's time to get a new one.

I can actually drink coffee all day and not feel shiznit, but those 5 hour things make me feel all jittery...and my face feels warm.

part of the price i guess:

[YOUTUBE]twkh0YiInPM[/YOUTUBE]

wolverinepwns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I drink redbull like its water, but once I tired HALF a bottle of REDLINE, and I freaking out cuz I was having PVCs and could feel my own pulse! never again!

StephBee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lol. I dislike energy drinks. The taste, the sugary sack of a stomach. Love 5 hour energies though :D best thing ever for a long ass road trip...actually, that reminds me to pick some up for my drive to Michigan :p

makes me sad that SDN doesn't have like a chatroom function. (and yes, I realize how 90's that sounds)

DrYoda

Space Cowboy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

StephBee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ha! Learn something new every day.

black coffee? ew. I've had to train myself to like coffee peroid, let alone black coffee.

side note; I'm taking a beer and wine appreciation class (wine first half, beer the second) and after 3 weeks I've come to a solid conclusion: I just don't like beer. We had the Saranac (any New Yorkers prolly know it) guy come to day. Awesome though cause he gave away t-shirts, 6 packs, awesome glasses etc. and I didn't like a single one of the 6 flavors we tried. BUT I'm still getting credit and a grade for drinking :p

StephBee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh, it's epic to be sure. I'm only sad I can't take it again next semester! I'm just glad tuesdays are easy days. It'd be rough to come home slightly tipsy and have to try to get work done. :p

CougarMD

Come up screaming
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy late nighters!!

Quit my volunteer position in the ED today....I am just not an ED person. I love the patients but the culture in there was a little wonky for me.

Then, I bought a Kinect and went to a swanky dinner to celebrate my acceptance which is finally, after three weeks, starting to sink in :D

How was your exam, Mithril? Virology sounds interesting. I hope you got that interview you wanted!!!

StephBee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy late nighters!!

Quit my volunteer position in the ED today....I am just not an ED person. I love the patients but the culture in there was a little wonky for me.

See, I love the ED. (yeah, it's hard to make that not sound like a bad joke). Did a fair amount of time there during my EMT training. (and simultaniously learned how small the town I live in was. In the same night I worked on my co-worker's wife and a really good friend's Dad)
I have like a mini-internal struggle whenever anyone asks me what I want to do because a large part of me screams oncology and the other part screams EM.
that's what 3rd/4th year are for though, right?!:laugh:

Ursa

woof
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
check out minorityvehicles.com for your study breaks...that one was started in good ol' central texas

CougarMD

Come up screaming
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
See, I love the ED. (yeah, it's hard to make that not sound like a bad joke). Did a fair amount of time there during my EMT training. (and simultaniously learned how small the town I live in was. In the same night I worked on my co-worker's wife and a really good friend's Dad)
I have like a mini-internal struggle whenever anyone asks me what I want to do because a large part of me screams oncology and the other part screams EM.
that's what 3rd/4th year are for though, right?!:laugh:
I think (at least in the ED I was in) it was just hard being a volunteer. But that could just be because I am responsible for...well..nothing;) In my other volunteer positions I have a real purpose and function and I just felt superfluous there. I'm not saying a chimp could do my job. It was actually an interesting position with a ton of patient contact. But it would have been nice if, when I asked docs and nurses for info, they were a little more than coldish-polite.

Again...all this is me whining because I am treated so well in my other positions (in the same hospital even!!!) so I am spoiled. I was used to being surrounded by people who knew I wanted to learn and were willing and eager to teach me.

But eh, I'm just a grunt...I know I'm asking too much;) However...I'm old enough that if you want me to be a grunt...you need to pay me at least 20 bucks an hour :D

StephBee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
lol. See, during my time, the docs were all awesome. Then again, I was technically a student so they had me splinting, taking vitals, giving hand off reports, follow lab people around to determine if someone had an MI or not etc. It was awesome. I was sad I only got to do like 24 hours there.

maybe that's what I'll do during my semester off. I need to get my state certification (living in 2 different states makes getting certified a gigantic pain in the as$. especially since NY requires you to take the EMT classes in NY (which i didn't). So if i wanted to practice here, I would have had to get certified in Colorado then transfer to NY. Decided it wasn't worth it and I'd just wait till I graduate and see where I stand) but then again, being a waiter just pays SO WELL. EMT-bs make like 10 bucks an hour. On a busy saturday night, I can make upwards of 30/40/50.
This whole application process has cleared me out. I better get in somewhere. :p

wristbandMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
check out minorityvehicles.com for your study breaks...that one was started in good ol' central texas

Everyone on here needs to stop posting these websites!

You are only prolonging my procrastination, you big jerks.

wolverinepwns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
wine and beer appreciation class sounds freaking awesome! I would totally get my bachlors in that then go for my masters and PhD then apply to medschool!

Helen Wheels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ha! Learn something new every day.

black coffee? ew. I've had to train myself to like coffee peroid, let alone black coffee.

side note; I'm taking a beer and wine appreciation class (wine first half, beer the second) and after 3 weeks I've come to a solid conclusion: I just don't like beer. We had the Saranac (any New Yorkers prolly know it) guy come to day. Awesome though cause he gave away t-shirts, 6 packs, awesome glasses etc. and I didn't like a single one of the 6 flavors we tried. BUT I'm still getting credit and a grade for drinking :p

I'm so boring - I don't like coffee or beer and not really big on wine, either. I mostly drink diet cola or iced tea. If I'm gonna drink EtOH, I go for the sugary girlie drinks! :laugh:

i don't have the stats for it either really. I mean, my gpa is good but my MCAT = fail.

Even if I could have gotten into a Mud Phud program I'd have been finishing up my residency with a walker. :p I am more interested in clinical research rather than basic so maybe all is not lost.

DbDan

I like Bones
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I drink redbull like its water, but once I tired HALF a bottle of REDLINE, and I freaking out cuz I was having PVCs and could feel my own pulse! never again!

You should try the REDLINE syrup concentrate. 1 TSP and you are like :scared: lol Its awesome. I'm a Rockstar person, not redbull. I'll regularly go through 2-3 Rockstars a day. My heart is going to give out at 40

wolverinepwns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You should try the REDLINE syrup concentrate. 1 TSP and you are like :scared: lol Its awesome. I'm a Rockstar person, not redbull. I'll regularly go through 2-3 Rockstars a day. My heart is going to give out at 40

WTF, there is a REDLINE syrup concentrate. OMG!!!! how is that thing legal! I like the blue monster energy drink too, but redbull is my fav with Yager and without.

CougarMD

Come up screaming
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen District 9?

I am watching it right now....and it is freaking the hell out of me.

Also....despite the fact that the aliens totally gross me out....I am completely sympathetic to them.

I have not been this uncomfortable watching a movie in.....forever:)

wristbandMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen District 9?

I am watching it right now....and it is freaking the hell out of me.

Also....despite the fact that the aliens totally gross me out....I am completely sympathetic to them.

I have not been this uncomfortable watching a movie in.....forever:)

I really like that movie, actually. It's probably one of my favorites. I felt very sympathetic towards the aliens as well. Especially the baby ones! So cute :) ...errr, pathetic.