The Laws of Medicine - for older nontrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cellsaver

For those nontraditional applicants who wonder if they are too late, too old or too handicapped to change careers and enter medicine, this one is for you.

Dr Siddhartha Mukherjee, MD, PhD, wrote a splendid little book entitled:

The Laws of Medicine: Field Notes from an Uncertain Science
By Siddhartha Mukherjee

Law One: A strong intuition is much more powerful than a weak test.
Law Two: "Normals" teach us rules; "outliers" teach us laws.
Law Three: For every perfect medical experiment, there is a perfect human bias.

The book is short, powerful and insightful. It piggybacks on another classic book, “The Lives of a Cell” by Dr Lewis Thomas, MD which was in part an impetus for my entering medical school at my late age. Dr Mukherjee weaves philosophy (existentialism) into the medical sciences while driving home the theme of uncertainty that characterizes medicine.

If you are older, chances are that you possess maturity, insight, and strong intuition. This book will show you how rich you are as a future physician by virtue of being an older nontraditional applicant. You still have to demonstrate academic competence. But you probably already have skillsets that no one has told you.

You will benefit a great deal from reading this short little book and see how you, as an older nontraditional student, are far ahead of the traditional med students who entered medical school younger than you, but lacking in core interpersonal skills.

Get this book at your university library. I did and read it in one sitting.

Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users