the long way around

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoopnick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so this is the "what are my chances" forum, so here i go

I started out college at sdsu as a bio/art major then went straight to art. I pursued art/architecture and graduated with a 2.98. I didn't do much with it and eventually turned around and went back to school 3 years later. I am going for a second bachelors, this time in biochemistry. I am taking all chem/bio/physics classes, retaking some i took at sdsu, and have a 4.0 at my new school (4 semesters with one more to go). I have done research (organic synthesis) and volunteered (shadowing at one hospital and emergency medicine research at another), but don't have anything published.

I took the MCAT twice and got a 31M (9vr/11ps/11bs) and a 34N (8vr/14ps/12bs). Verbal reasoning is definitely not my strong suit. my science gpa is ~3.6 counting all my old courses with my new ones, and my overall GPA is probably about a 3.3. I'm hoping i can plead immaturity for my first round of grades and that they will look more at the last couple years

How will I fair? I am applying now. Do you think i have made up for my 4 years of really crappy grades with 2 years of really stellar ones and decent MCATs? What sort of schools should i be looking at?

ideally i would like to go to NYU (~33 average mcat) or georgetown (32). am i being realistic?

Members don't see this ad.

so this is the "what are my chances" forum, so here i go

I started out college at sdsu as a bio/art major then went straight to art. I pursued art/architecture and graduated with a 2.98. I didn't do much with it and eventually turned around and went back to school 3 years later. I am going for a second bachelors, this time in biochemistry. I am taking all chem/bio/physics classes, retaking some i took at sdsu, and have a 4.0 at my new school (4 semesters with one more to go). I have done research (organic synthesis) and volunteered (shadowing at one hospital and emergency medicine research at another), but don't have anything published.

I took the MCAT twice and got a 31M (9vr/11ps/11bs) and a 34N (8vr/14ps/12bs). Verbal reasoning is definitely not my strong suit. my science gpa is ~3.6 counting all my old courses with my new ones, and my overall GPA is probably about a 3.3. I'm hoping i can plead immaturity for my first round of grades and that they will look more at the last couple years

How will I fair? I am applying now. Do you think i have made up for my 4 years of really crappy grades with 2 years of really stellar ones and decent MCATs? What sort of schools should i be looking at?

ideally i would like to go to NYU (~33 average mcat) or georgetown (32). am i being realistic?

IMO, your app looks pretty good. Your GPA is still low, but your upward trend might help, and your 34 definitely will. I'm surprised you retook a 31, but it seems to have worked out. NYU is probably a reach, and Georgetown might be too, but you have a shot. You should be applying to mostly OOS private schools will low average numbers. Check out the school selector spreadsheet at the top of this subforum to get an idea.

You are planning on applying next cycle, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
lets see. i have a list of 17 i'm trying to widdle down. I'm a california resident hence the load of california school despite the competition being steep.

UCI
UCD
UCLA
loma linda
USC
ny medical college
nyu
albert einstein
georgetown
george washington
drexel
thomas jefferson u
penn state
u of arizona
u of illinois at chicago
loyola u
Boston u

I would keep all of those except for Arizona. Replace that one with something more OOS friendly.

As long as you have a good PS describing how you changed your career goals and came upon the path of medicine. Your art background and non-trad app is nice to see compared to the many other typical pre-med applications (like mine).

As far as Georgetown and NYU, I'd say a slim chance, your GPA is in the bottom 5th percentile or less, and MCAT score is just on par with their averages. But it still doesn't hurt to apply.

I would add Tulane, Temple, Rush, Rosalind Franklin.

Maybe Rush, maybe not. Rush is extremely in-state friendly even though it is private (~70% matriculants are in-state vs. >75% of applicants are OOS). If you have the extra cash, it wouldn't hurt to throw your hat in!

So the fact that i have 4 semesters of 4.0 course work wont make up for anything more than it says on paper?