The Many Areas of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubble Thi

Bubble Thi
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still deciding on what area of pharmacy I would like
to specialize in - retail, long-term care, oncology, ID, education,
etc. - and was wondering what area of pharmacy those of you folks
out there are wanting to pursue and briefly why or what attracted you
to that area.

Thanx much :)

Members don't see this ad.

You are going to find that you want to do at least 4 or 5 different things before you graduate. I first started out with community, then it was military, back to community, and now academia. I am almost 96% certain that is where my future is headed. It offers me many opportunities to be pro-active in pharmacy education, to stay involved politically, and above all still practice what I love. I plan to have my practice site in ambulatory care.

Caverject said:
You are going to find that you want to do at least 4 or 5 different things before you graduate. I first started out with community, then it was military, back to community, and now academia. I am almost 96% certain that is where my future is headed. It offers me many opportunities to be pro-active in pharmacy education, to stay involved politically, and above all still practice what I love. I plan to have my practice site in ambulatory care.

Hey Caverject,
do you plan to complete a residency or go straight to academia?

Members don't see this ad :)
NYCillini said:
Hey Caverject,
do you plan to complete a residency or go straight to academia?
You have to do a residency in order to go into academia. If you didn't get your feet wet, you would essentially be preaching what you don't practice because you don't know well enough yet. Make sense?

Do you have to have a PhD to go into academia?

I guess I should clarify. If you are into pharmacy sciences, then yes you need a PhD. If you want to go into pharmacy practice, then all you need is a pharmD with a residency.

Caverject said:

That never changes. I still want to do it all. I do enjoy retail pharmacy in an environment where you are not being beaten to death. I miss hospital and worry that my basic skills will evaporate. But other opportunities in long term care, pediatrics, and radiopharmaceuticals are just as interesting.

With luck, over the course of your career you will be able to do many if not all of them. Don't limit yourselves folks, and try not to get too comfortable in your rut. I had more respect for my professors who logged some counter time
now and again.