The March Interview: is it an indirect waitlist??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not complete my application early by any stretch of the imagination, but I did not think that a November 1st complete was suicidally late (especially considering I had all my materials/secondaries in on early September- I don't know why it took them 2 months to green light me).

I was just given a March 14th interview by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in NY. I was wondering, is this genuinely because I submitted my application late? Or did the committee members see fit for me to compete for a spot on the waitlist?

Essentially, what does this mean? do I have a chance?

Does anyone know of anyone with a successful March interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools do leave open spots for the late season interviewees to be directly admitted. Others will straight up tell you it's for a waitlist spot. I don't have any particular knowledge of AECOM, so I can't say what they do.

But even if it is for a waitlist spot, a waitlist isn't a death sentence (although it does drag out the process even more:().

i seem to recall reading somewhere that AECOM does (or at least did) extend waitlist-only interviews past a certain point in the cycle. maybe check the 2010 SS thread?

also, it's a s****y practice so far as i'm concerned. if you're going to schlep yourself up to the place, you may as well have a shot at being accepted outright.

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP, can't really say whether or not you have a wait-list interview at AECOM, but I can say that they seem to schedule their interviews very far in advance. I got invited in early October for a February interview! Maybe that's a little comforting? :confused:

To the OP, can't really say whether or not you have a wait-list interview at AECOM, but I can say that they seem to schedule their interviews very far in advance. I got invited in early October for a February interview! Maybe that's a little comforting? :confused:

This! I was invited in September to interview on Dec 13. Ended up turning it down, so I can't say much about their admissions process other than that they do seem to schedule way, way in advance.

I'm in a a similar situation, OP. I just received an interview invite for Ohio State, but it's not till March. That seems so late to me. And their website says that's the last month for interviews. Hoping to get this changed to at least February... but we'll see. Not sure what a late interview means from Ohio State though...

That is probably b/c they interview far more people than most other schools:

7149 applied, 1399 interviewed, 493 were accepted, 183 enrolled

I think at that point AECOM still gives some direct acceptances, but not too many. They interviewed last year until May. Also they often didn't give decisions until 8-10 or more weeks later, meaning if you are accepted it would likely be around May 15th.