The mcat seems so hard and overwhelming.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alleyez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i don't have to take the mcat til next year or so.... I don't think I can pull a 30+ on the mcat...seriously.

I need to get a decent score on the mcat to offset my lower-than-average GPA.

The essay I'm not too worried about since I think I can pull some crap out of my ass.... but the verbal, the bio section, and the physical science... they are going to kill me :(

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a reason you are having trouble now? Try to see what distractions keep you from working hard and slowly eliminate them.

If you're still having troubles when you're studying really hard, and sacrifising a lot of time, then I would seriously reconsider medical school. Keep in mind that if you can't do well in school, and you can't do well on the mcats, then that's a good foreshadowing of how you'll do in medical school, granted that you took out all the distractions and devoted yourself to school.

I'm not trying to be down or anything, just realize what you are getting into. Medical school isn't the last step of being a physician. You'll be studying for the rest of your work life.

Don't freak out yet. I was pretty overwhelmed when I first sat down to study, but once you get into it it starts to look a whole lot more manageable. If you're really freaking out, you could always sit down with it now and make an effort, to see how it goes. Nothing there is conceptually difficult, it's just a matter of getting it into your head... it's a lot, but most people can do it. Just make sure when you are ready to tackle it, you've got some friends/family to support you through it. There'll be times, especially at the beginning, where it looks pretty hopeless.

Best,
Anka
p.s. -- just to let you know the outcome for me, I wound up doing really well even though I was sobbing in my beer afterwards I thought I had done so bad ;)

You just need to organize your study materials and organize of plan of study. You need to sit down and figure out..."What study materials will I use for each section of the exam?" In your case, I'd recommend taking an MCAT prep course because they will organize the material for you and they'll come up with a structured curriculum and present all the material you need to know in a reasonable pace. Personally...I'm probably going to end up taking the Kaplan course and using ExamKrackers materials on the side.

Members don't see this ad :)
just remember, only what you want out of the studying is what you will get. so try to have a plan of what you really need to study and what you can put on the bottom of the list. hope this helps. good luck!! you can do it.

keep in mind that the mcats look overwhelming but at the core, they are not.

they are BASIC sciences at heart... i mean, basic biology, basic general chemisty, basic organic, basic physics... everything in the mcats are basic.. you dont have vertebrate embryology or comparative anatomy... all basic stuff.

so once you get through all the hype and hoopla of the mcat... you will see how easy it really is. the only thing bad about the mcat is the time restraint.. other than that.. it is a pretty easy exam. i pulled off a 32 with a month of testing and 2 months of on and off subject review (i.e. an hour a day, nothing too much).

relax, you can do the same.

Alway believe in yourself. Know what you want. And never give up!

If you're one of those people who has to memorize formulas and work tons of different problems similar to what are on exams, then you're probably ****ed. The MCAT tests concepts and application of knowledge, not memorized facts.

If you're one of those people who has to memorize formulas and work tons of different problems similar to what are on exams, then you're probably ****ed. The MCAT tests concepts and application of knowledge, not memorized facts.

I'm screwed :thumbdown: