Jun 10, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello, to make a long story short, I am planning on taking the MCAT next summer and I need some advice on how to go about studying. There are just so many guides that it's really hard to figure out what to do/what materials to use.

At this point I think my biggest concern is content review. I recently took/retook orgo so I feel fairly fresh on that. I was a psych major so I have a lot of background there (will do soc in the fall) and I took a bunch of bio classes so I at least have some background there. My biggest concern is c/p because I do not for the life of me remember much from those classes.

Another consideration is that I know my studying style well enough to know that reading from a book is the worst way for me to learn. I do a lot better with videos/lectures.

This is kind of a rough idea of what I'm thinking about doing and I'd greatly appreciate any advice:

Summer '21 -> taking 3 classes, but I think I could at least start to get my feet wet. My idea is to go through Chad's videos and/or Khan Academy
Fall '21 -> I'll be taking soc and retaking biochem I. I was thinking this is when I could really seriously start studying. I think I could finish working on videos and start working on Anki. What/how should I be focusing my time here?
Spring '22 -> Continue studying/reviewing. Work on practice problems and practice exams
Summer '22-> Try to take MCAT early/mid summer so I have time in late summer/early fall if I need a retake (won't be applying then but I can't do it mid/late fall for personal reason).

Feb 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
When are you applying to med school? I highly recommend taking Biochemistry first and then start MCAT prep because it's embedded in every section, except CARS. Your plan also seems very stretched out. I studied for only 5 months after I took all my pre-reqs, while attending school full-time.

I don't know how dedicated you will stick to your study plan, but I can help you devise a 5-month study plan, where you start studying on spring 2022 AFTER you take biochemistry and take the MCAT on May/June. Just DM me, if interested.

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 10, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
When are you applying to med school? I highly recommend taking Biochemistry first and then start MCAT prep because it's embedded in every section, except CARS. Your plan also seems very stretched out. I studied for only 5 months after I took all my pre-reqs, while attending school full-time.

I don't know how dedicated you will stick to your study plan, but I can help you devise a 5-month study plan, where you start studying on spring 2022 AFTER you take biochemistry and take the MCAT on May/June. Just DM me, if interested.
I think I'd be applying the '23-'24 cycle. I would be retaking biochem, but I see your point.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.