Technology The new iBook (MacBook)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't believe how close they are to the MacBook Pros. This truly is the end of the iBook which was always a crippled notebook. The price is great too. Sure they're trying to capitalize on the black MacBook, but still, try to find something that's like it from Dell or Sony. The MacBook winds up being cheaper! I really want to get the black one, but I think I'm going to wait until it has the Core 2 Duo chips. If they quote a 6 hour battery life with Core Duo, it'll probably be like 7 or 8 hours for a MacBook with Core 2 Duo!

On another note, the 15" MacBook Pros get yet another free speed bump! Strange how the Intel iMacs have been left untouched since they were released.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the specs other than the integrated graphics. It'd be perfect for everything but playing games.

I'm not sure about the size or the glossy screen ... have to wait to see one in the flesh.

I still hope they bring out a laptop with proper graphics that is smaller than the 15" MBP.

I think it's unlikely that we will see small laptops with discrete graphics. There's a very limited amount of space, and even if it fits, it can't run that well because it would heat up too much, and considering that the CPU is already running fairly hot, the CPU would have to be throttled down even more, making for a very undesirable situation. I think Apple made the right choice and went with integrated graphics so that 2GHz Core Duos could be used. Would you rather have something that plays games well but does everything else slower or something that plays games horribly but does everything else fast? I guess it's a matter of how badly you want to play games.

southerndoc said:
The iBooks are not dead, and in fact, will resurface with the iBook name later this year.

Additional laptops to surface include a MacBook Thin and a MacBook Gamer.
Sounds like Apple is going for the "Dell" approach...

How could they possibly be coming out with three new lines? I can understand a Macbook Gamer and a Macbook Thing, but how will the iBook be any different from the plain MacBook?

southerndoc said:
The iBooks are not dead, and in fact, will resurface with the iBook name later this year.

Additional laptops to surface include a MacBook Thin and a MacBook Gamer.
No offense, but I hope you don't really believe the BS that MOSR is putting out. Their credibility is just about zero now, and no one else even reports their 'rumors'.

tcid said:
I think it's unlikely that we will see small laptops with discrete graphics. There's a very limited amount of space, and even if it fits, it can't run that well because it would heat up too much, and considering that the CPU is already running fairly hot, the CPU would have to be throttled down even more, making for a very undesirable situation. I think Apple made the right choice and went with integrated graphics so that 2GHz Core Duos could be used. Would you rather have something that plays games well but does everything else slower or something that plays games horribly but does everything else fast? I guess it's a matter of how badly you want to play games.

Actually, I'd rather it did everything well, even if it costs more.
cpu 1.66 CD, HD 60G Sata 5400, RAM 512Mb, Optical DVD+/-RW DL, Graphics Geforce 7400go, screen 13.3" WXGA, and WEIGHT = 1.85kg

http://www.sony.com.au/vaio/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22104
*price is in Aus Dollars
shame I can't buy the same thing from apple

tcid said:
I think I'm going to wait until it has the Core 2 Duo chips. If they quote a 6 hour battery life with Core Duo, it'll probably be like 7 or 8 hours for a MacBook with Core 2 Duo!

I'm confused. I thought the new MacBook either comes in Duo 1.83 or 2 GHz

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoooba said:
I'm confused. I thought the new MacBook either comes in Duo 1.83 or 2 GHz
Yes it does. Core 2 Duo is the next generation of CPU's from Intel. Significantly better performance at a significantly lower wattage. Should be out by August.

tcid said:
Yes it does. Core 2 Duo is the next generation of CPU's from Intel. Significantly better performance at a significantly lower wattage. Should be out by August.

So the new Macbooks that you can currently order are still Duo processors but just not the new "Core Duo" ?

The ones right now are the Core Duos. The next generation is called the Core 2 Duo, just like Pentium and Pentium II.

tcid said:
The ones right now are the Core Duos. The next generation is called the Core 2 Duo, just like Pentium and Pentium II.

Thanks for the clarification :D

I picked up a black MacBook Friday with 1gig of ram. Amaaaazing! Brilliant! I love it. The glossy screen is very crisp. The magnetic latching mechanism is growing on me and the two fingers on the trackpad w/click = Right click is very sweet. I highly recommend a MacBook. :D :thumbup:

Have you had any trouble with fingerprint smudges on the trackpad? I've heard that's a problem with the black MacBook.

I will probably wait until early next year to purchase (before going overseas to Africa). The built-in iSight will come in handy. Plus, hopefully by then the Core 2 Duo's will be out and maybe the battery life will be a little better.

southerndoc said:
Have you had any trouble with fingerprint smudges on the trackpad? I've heard that's a problem with the black MacBook.

I will probably wait until early next year to purchase (before going overseas to Africa). The built-in iSight will come in handy. Plus, hopefully by then the Core 2 Duo's will be out and maybe the battery life will be a little better.

I wouldn't say its a problem but fingerprints are more noticeable on the black casing. Its fine by me. The same can be said for the black iPods. The darker color makes things stand out more. I noticed a slight "tarnish" after using my powerbook form time to time on the casing where I'd rest my hands. C'est la vie.

Is it overly hot like I've heard?

I Didn't notice it getting too hot. I've actually returned my blackbook b.c I can't justify the expense right now. I'll stick with my 12"PB for the time being. :D

Can these new MacBooks run Microsoft Outlook??? I know that there's a Microsoft Office made for Mac now... but I'm not sure if Outlooks factors into that as well.

ayznshorti said:
Can these new MacBooks run Microsoft Outlook??? I know that there's a Microsoft Office made for Mac now... but I'm not sure if Outlooks factors into that as well.

Dude, are you serious? :eek: why on earth would anyone want to run outlook on a mac?

JobsFan said:
Dude, are you serious? :eek: why on earth would anyone want to run outlook on a mac?
I'm actually not an Outlook fan, but my school has something about Outlook listed under it's computer requirements, so I figured I should ask.

I'm tipping my hand and showing my ignorance, but...

The new notebooks have Airport built in. If I'm at Barnes and Noble and want to get online, do I have to find somewhere to plug a base station in (unless they have one already)? Or at home, will I need one in addition to the router if I want to be connected via PC as well (wife...)

I'm looking at getting a MacBook this summer, but trying to do some homework first...

And does anyone with a new notebook have the EyeTV setup?

Mr. Freeze said:
I'm tipping my hand and showing my ignorance, but...

The new notebooks have Airport built in. If I'm at Barnes and Noble and want to get online, do I have to find somewhere to plug a base station in (unless they have one already)? Or at home, will I need one in addition to the router if I want to be connected via PC as well (wife...)

I'm looking at getting a MacBook this summer, but trying to do some homework first...

And does anyone with a new notebook have the EyeTV setup?

The notebooks have a wifi card built in, which means you can hook into a wireless network. The network for example would be provided by Barnes and Noble etc. by them having a broadband line and a wireless router, you just connect to their network. As for how you pay for the connection, or whether it's free for customers depends on the shop etc.

At home, if you already have a wireless network, both the mac and the PC will happily connect to the same network. If your router isn't wireless you could plug both the PC and the macbook in via ethernet ... but wireless is the way to go for notebooks, it's great to surf the net in bed etc.

ayznshorti said:
I'm actually not an Outlook fan, but my school has something about Outlook listed under it's computer requirements, so I figured I should ask.

i''m pretty sure you'll be able to avoid using outlook, you can generally redirect your mail anywhere you like and use whatever mail program you like.

I'm not sure if there is outlook for mac, Micro$oft makes "Entourage" which I think is the mac version ... I don't use that either though, so I'm not much help. Outlook for PC is a virus spreading heap of CR*P so I have little interest in it.

JobsFan said:
i''m pretty sure you'll be able to avoid using outlook, you can generally redirect your mail anywhere you like and use whatever mail program you like.

I'm not sure if there is outlook for mac, Micro$oft makes "Entourage" which I think is the mac version ... I don't use that either though, so I'm not much help. Outlook for PC is a virus spreading heap of CR*P so I have little interest in it.
I'm very content with Apple's Mail program. It's better than Outlook in my opinion.

okay...I absolutely love it except for one thing. The speakers are AWFUL! My Powerbook had better speakers and that's not saying much.

The screen is absolutely incredible! It's also amazing how fast it is to restart the computer.

If you decide to replace the ram on your own with better ram than the crap Apple gives you, I will tell you first hand this is a difficult job. You litterally feel it click into place, but it's a real bitch. I thought I was going to break the machine. Alas, I now have 2 gigs worth of ram in my macbook for a mere 200 bucks instead of 900+ and I also own 2 256 chips now too! (going to go on ebay but I know I won't get much for them)

ayznshorti said:

Entourage is the Mac equivalent to Outlook in the Microsoft Office Suite. I use it as my email program as I think its features are highly superior to Mail (and even Outlook for that matter!)

my gateway got stolen a few weeks ago (out of my car, in my church parking lot of all places)... I decided to replace it with the new macbook. Since I was getting reimbursed for the computer my insurance, I got the 1.83ghz white macbook. It's a GERAT deal. I looked at all the others (best buy, circuit city, gateway, dell, etc.) and for what I needed it for, this has really fit the bill. The one thing I sorta wished, is that I would have spent the money and gone with the one step up. It's only another $100 for the 2.0 ghz processor, plus you get a DVD burner with it, and to buy an external DVD burner is going to cost you almost $100 at Staples or whatnot... All in all, it's a great machine with a great set of software and I'm really liking it. Feel free to PM if you want to ask any more questions. Also, if you're a student, you can get $50 off the cost of the computer and $66 off the price of the apple care warrenty. not a bad deal all in all...

Also, Entourage is what comes with Microsoft office for Mac. It's different than outlook, but works very much the same way. The only disadvantage is I can't figure out how to sync my HP Ipaq with this computer. Oh well...

penguinophile said:
Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but if you get a new comp between now and september, they give you a rebate for a free nano.
I did this. It's a rebate.. you buy the iPod and they're reimburse you up to $179. So you can pretty much get any iPod you want. I got the normal 30GB iPod.... it's fabulous. I think it's screen has better resolution than my television.

Is there a program (maybe missingsync, I don't know) to allow macs to read .csv files, or whatever Outlook uses to create calendars? If my school puts out a calendar/schedule for download into Outlook, what would I have to do to put it in iCal?

Or just do the boot camp thing and read it on the other side?

It may be easy, I just don't know because I haven't taken the plunge yet, although the aforementioned promotion is pretty much sealing the deal. I may tell the wife it runs out much sooner than it does...

Mr. Freeze said:
Is there a program (maybe missingsync, I don't know) to allow macs to read .csv files, or whatever Outlook uses to create calendars? If my school puts out a calendar/schedule for download into Outlook, what would I have to do to put it in iCal?

Or just do the boot camp thing and read it on the other side?

It may be easy, I just don't know because I haven't taken the plunge yet, although the aforementioned promotion is pretty much sealing the deal. I may tell the wife it runs out much sooner than it does...
Take your picK:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051117063835839

http://www.manastungare.com/projects/yahoo2ical/

Some sad news...

After 3 enjoyable months of my macbook, the motherboard bit the dust. No idea why or what I did either! Hopefully, I get my baby back in a few days.

About that iPod nano deal...it really sucks for me. I bought my macbook May 31st, just a few days before the promotion started :-(

What sucks worse than that is that had you brought it to their attention, they'd probably have honored the promotion. I think it is somewhere in the fine print of their invoice...

Mr. Freeze said:
What sucks worse than that is that had you brought it to their attention, they'd probably have honored the promotion. I think it is somewhere in the fine print of their invoice...
I did bring it to their attention. They said no dice

Caverject said:
I did bring it to their attention. They said no dice

If you bought a mac after the promotion started, can you still get the rebate if you order the nano separately?

No, because they have to be on the same receipt. I ran into this because I wanted to just pick out a notebook at the store, but order my nano from the online store, in order to have it engraved. They couldn't do it at the store, nor did they have any 80 G white 2GHz models, which I originally was looking for.

I ended up getting a 60 Gb one, which I'm still kinda peeved was 30% full on arrival. And my nano is so scratched on the back engraving it seems like it was somewhat of a waste. But I still dig it, and am driving my wife crazy with my fledgling podcast habit. Or at least now that I have a cigarette lighter FM transmitter...

Go to the store and ask. I bought mine the day before the promotion started and then took it back to the store afterwards because I was pissed that I missed it by one day. One of the awesome people that works there did some magic on their computer rerung up everything and voila! New iPod!

Never hurts to ask!

anybody else load up XP I partitioned 32 gigs of HD space (I have a 2.0 80 gig macbook) anyways it doesn't always hook directly up to the wireless network right away. Also I need to set my default OS as the macs and not wndows. This is my first mac and so far I am very impressed with the features and ease of use. Also is there a comparable apple program to one note? anyother helpful macbook hints would be appreciated