The NEW KCUMB class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im sitting in my front room surrounded by several towers of boxes and I think we're about half way through packing. we're getiing excited though, only 2 more days till the BIG HAUL begins!! wish us luck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Im sitting in my front room surrounded by several towers of boxes and I think we're about half way through packing. we're getiing excited though, only 2 more days till the BIG HAUL begins!! wish us luck!!!

I know the feeling, the moving truck is showing up at our place on Thursday morning. Man, I can't wait until it's over and it hasn't even started yet.

I know the feeling, the moving truck is showing up at our place on Thursday morning. Man, I can't wait until it's over and it hasn't even started yet.

Hey nalgie....have you checked out your private messages as of late?

Members don't see this ad :)
For current students or those who know: How much free time can we be expected to have during orientation? There are some things that I really need to get done before school starts and am wondering if I will have any time to work on them.

For current students or those who know: How much free time can we be expected to have during orientation? There are some things that I really need to get done before school starts and am wondering if I will have any time to work on them.

You will. Just matters on how social you want to be.

do lecture halls have wireless?

Hi! All three lecture halls do have wireless along with the library and the Smith hall lounge. You just have to get your computer address registered with the IT department. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for them to get it registered and then you should be up and running. Someone else asking if there were a lot of people that used their computer during class....there are only a handful or so, but that number probably will grow. A lot of people that use their computers currently have tablets where they just write directly on the pdf notes that are given to us. Other people that use their computers honestly aren't always writing notes or paying complete attention.

Hi! You honestly will have more time later in the week. I remember not having much time for unpacking, so I was doing that on Friday and a little bit on the weekend -- I would recommend attempting to get a lot of it done prior because you don't want to be really tired for the first day of class. I think for the first day of orientation, they had told us that to assume that we would be busy from 7am until 7pm, but I remember leaving around 3 or 4. For needing things done during business hours ie. switching banks, utility hookups etc... your best bet will probably be on Friday unless they do it past 5 (I think cable has until 7). You definitely won't be able to do it on White Coat Day because you will be there late due to the reception and your with your family most likely anyway. If you don't go to the baseball game, you may have some luck, but that is usually a fun thing to do where you meet your classmates -- I hate baseball, but I really had a lot of fun. But if you don't go, most people go out of their community service project at least by 2 or 3. Some lucky few got done at noon. It just depends on which project you are randomly chosen for and depends on how motivated your group is to get it done I guess. You'll have at least a couple of hours in between the community service project and going to the BBQ thing at the baseball game anyway, so you may be able to get some things done there. I'm sorry, but I don't remember much about Tuesday's festivities. I just remember registration for classes and that you need to get there earlier rather than later or there will be such a long line and it takes forever. You also will get your first packet of notes - do yourself a favor, and don't look at them until at least Sunday night. If you want to read them prior to starting class, that's fine. But, some people had them memorized before class on Monday and there really isn't any sense. I don't think they did any better on anything than me, and I just went to class without looking at them. Well, I hope this has maybe helped you be able to plan some things. Let me know if you have any other questions that I may be able to answer. Well, I'm off to class....anyone is welcome to PM too if they have a question.

thanks for the insight DrKT2009 and HIANMI

I don't know if this has been openly publicized to you all (or maybe this is just for the noobs on here). Your second day of class you will have OMT lab. This means girls will be in shorts and sports bras and guys will be in just shorts. I think this point has been mentioned already. My advice for the females is to double bra it. The lab tended to be cold all year last year, and you could tell exactly who didn't layer it up. Just a hint to help you be more comfortable while undressed in front of your classmates.

I don't know if this has been openly publicized to you all (or maybe this is just for the noobs on here). Your second day of class you will have OMT lab. This means girls will be in shorts and sports bras and guys will be in just shorts. I think this point has been mentioned already. My advice for the females is to double bra it. The lab tended to be cold all year last year, and you could tell exactly who didn't layer it up. Just a hint to help you be more comfortable while undressed in front of your classmates.

Haha! My advice is to get the Shock Absorber sports bra from Victoria's Secret...they're padded enough so that you don't have to worry about temperature. They're cute too!:p

Hi guys,

Congrats on getting in to KCUMB. I have been nothing but impressed with the school, faculty, and my education here. I'm looking forward to seeing and meeting you.

Anyways, I have a couple of ikea stools that would be perfect for CT. I also have an entertainment center for a 27" TV. If anyone is interested just PM me and I can send you pics.

Good luck and drive safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I FINALLY MADE IT TO KC!!!!! and it rocks. We've been driving around the last couple of days just trying to get a grasp on the whole freeway system around here. once you get used to it, it is the best!!!

I FINALLY MADE IT TO KC!!!!! and it rocks. We've been driving around the last couple of days just trying to get a grasp on the whole freeway system around here. once you get used to it, it is the best!!!

It's actually really nice without all the construction :)

Hi everyone, I just wanted to welcome all of you to KCUMB. I am a now 3rd-years student, and I think you all will like it here. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, I will be advertising some of my books in the classifieds section if you are interested. Enjoy your last few free weeks!

I moved my belongings into CT this morning! :)

I am in 732.

I moved my belongings into CT this morning! :)

Let me be the first to welcome you to KC and especially to CT. I live in 517 feel free to stop by and say hello (wait until after 7p - i'm at work). Or you can say hello if you see me out and about CT with the white fluffy dog. See you arond.

Ryan

Just wanted to say hi to you all. We moved out of the area to our new home a couple weeks ago. I hope you all like KC. I already miss many things about living in that area...namely blowing Friday nights like this one watching the Royals.

Good luck...we start orientation next Wed.

Just wanted to say hi to you all. We moved out of the area to our new home a couple weeks ago. I hope you all like KC. I already miss many things about living in that area...namely blowing Friday nights like this one watching the Royals.

Good luck...we start orientation next Wed.

Thanks, MJB! Good Luck to you, too.

may have already been discussed, but can someone tell me what we are supposed to wear to the summer review section?

I'll remind you of that thought in a few months with things will be quite different. :scared:

LOL. :laugh: I'll count on it, Harvey. It may serve to remind me of more innocent and spacious times, before the landing of the nearly endless storm of basic science information that I see speeding toward the horizon. :scared:

I guess I should do my best to enjoy the very quiet before that awesome and exciting storm. :D

I had the honor of meeting Harvey and Spiced, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone else! I'm really excited to get started!

I had the honor of meeting Harvey and Spiced, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone else! I'm really excited to get started!

Hey there,

I'll be helping coat you all at the white coating ceremony so if any of you SDNers want to introduce yourselves, come and find me. I'm the bald headed guy with a goatee. There may be more than one of us, though, so the plan may fail.

Good luck, I hope to meet some of you!

I'm driving to kc from wichita this morning! I'll be in CT apartment 819. Can't wait to meet everyone!
-chris

Hey guys I arrived here in KC late last night. Today I'm moved in and getting things together. Looking forward to meeting everyone. I'm in 1002 so if you would like stop by and say hello. Maybe we can get some people together this week to meet everyone. Any suggestions?

Hey,
just moved into Bennington Ridge... in 4029 #303... for anyone else even non first years I guess there's a cookout tomorrow at 12 by the pool!

I finally got my internet hooked up and running in CT! I moved into #520... well I'm still in the process of doing so heh. Everyone I've met so far has been great and helpful so that's a good sign!

Does anyone here play tennis at all? I used to be a 4.0-4.5 and would like to get back into it in our limited spare time haha. I haven't really looked but I really haven't found any tennis courts at all. Anyone know of some?

I'm always up for some tennis, but am not sure of courts in KC...I know of many down in Overland Park (southern suburb), but we may need to investigate up here. Forgive me if stupid question: whats 4.0-4.5 mean?

I might not be good enough to hang with you :)

I finally got my internet hooked up and running in CT! I moved into #520... well I'm still in the process of doing so heh. Everyone I've met so far has been great and helpful so that's a good sign!

Does anyone here play tennis at all? I used to be a 4.0-4.5 and would like to get back into it in our limited spare time haha. I haven't really looked but I really haven't found any tennis courts at all. Anyone know of some?

I'm always up for some tennis, but am not sure of courts in KC...I know of many down in Overland Park (southern suburb), but we may need to investigate up here. Forgive me if stupid question: whats 4.0-4.5 mean?

I might not be good enough to hang with you :)

There are some courts by my house on Wyandotte, but I haven't seen how nice they are or anything.

And the number (I think) is the USTA (US Tennis Assoc.) rating- like 1.0 is beginner, 3.0-5.0 intermediate/advanced, 6.0 and up aspiring pro players.

There are some courts by my house on Wyandotte, but I haven't seen how nice they are or anything.

And the number (I think) is the USTA (US Tennis Assoc.) rating- like 1.0 is beginner, 3.0-5.0 intermediate/advanced, 6.0 and up aspiring pro players.

Aha, thanks a lot. I assumed that it was something like that, but wasn't sure. Anyways, I'm always up for some tennis. I just played a little yesterday at some courts in Prairie Village about 79th and Nall. They were very nice and had about 12 courts and 4 hitting walls. Very nice.

I hope everyones move-in is going well.

Hello MSIs again! I just wanted to let you all know that I am going to be selling a NEW (never worn, only tried on) pair of female black shoes size 8 from Bakers Footwear and a NEW (never worn, only tried on) pair of KCUMB ACOFP maroon size Small (unisex I believe) top and bottom scrub set. Please send me a private message if you are interested and I can email you photos/prices.

ACOFP = American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians

Thanks! Enjoy your last free weekend for awhile!

Hey guys,

Well I spent my first night in CT last night and I am really excited to meet everyone come Monday at orientation. I moved into #902 if anyone wants to hang out.

Best and see you all soon!

Tina

The closest tennis court is here. I made the map on gmaps pedometer. It's a bit over a mile from school. There are four tennis courts and a basketball court. It's pretty ghetto and it's in a bad neighborhood so make sure you lock your car. It's pretty safe in the daytime though. There are some pretty nice courts that are lighted in north kansas city. If you do the MBA, you will have access to some nice courts at Rockhurst.

Hope you all enjoyed the Picnic and the game....

Keith

Hope you all enjoyed the Picnic and the game....

Keith

Hey you all, I tried to contact school today, but they were all gone at the game! Does anyone know if they will be providing childcare at the white coating reception tomorrow? They did when I was a student and now I'm there as a coater, but we can't get a babysitter. My wife wants to come to the party too!

wbdo

Hey guys,

Well I spent my first night in CT last night and I am really excited to meet everyone come Monday at orientation. I moved into #902 if anyone wants to hang out.

Best and see you all soon!

Tina

That's soo neat...I hope you like CT. I just moved out from 917 and my name is Teena (spelled differently obviously) too ;)

Good luck to all of you on your first year! You're going to love it and hate it all the same time! :)

(Oh, and I guess I should mention I'm starting my 3rd year so I won't be around but wanted to wish you luck anyway. :) )

Wow, I havent posted on here is FOREVER! Sheesh. Where did the time go...
Its so funny to see all the old SNs I was so used to seeing before. B/c now Im thinking, "I wonder who that really is??..." Ooo, the suspense kills me :D I guess I should stop procrastinating on this path practical. Why do I always do this :(

Wow, I havent posted on here is FOREVER! Sheesh. Where did the time go...
Its so funny to see all the old SNs I was so used to seeing before. B/c now Im thinking, "I wonder who that really is??..." Ooo, the suspense kills me :D I guess I should stop procrastinating on this path practical. Why do I always do this :(

:laugh: I am in the same boat as you. I think I'm going to give up studying for now and pick it up in the morning. I'm such a procrastinator. It's odd, I complained when I had only two hours to study for path, but now that I had a whole day and a half, I didn't use it wisely. Go figure. Good luck tomorrow, Yes_I_DO! :)

So I'm trying to decide where I want to go to school, and it's starting to become a tough choice (Western/COMP, KCUMB, UNECOM). I really liked KCUMB, great facilities - OMM lab, anatomy lab, Clinical Competency Center - and I like being near a city. People seem to get along pretty well and help each other out when it comes to studying and whatnot. There seem to be some pretty good opportunities when it comes to rotations and eventually residencies, especially since the school has been around for so long. I also like the systems based curriculum, but other schools have that too. I have two concerns: 1) I'm not sure if I want to live in the midwest after I'm done with school, and 2) I've read here on SDN that the school has lost some pretty good faculty over the past few years because they went to new DO schools that may have offered them more money. Do most people end up doing rotations in the midwest? I know that core sites are typically located in the MO/KS area, but where else do people go? Do 4th years truly have the opportunity to go anywhere for electives, or are those sites more limited than the school leads us to believe? How do you feel about your teachers? Do you feel like they prepare you well for your exams, or do you find that you and your classmates end up teaching yourselves a lot of the time? Which subjects do you think are taught the best/worst? I realize that I'm asking a lot of questions, and that you're pretty busy, but any input you might have would be great. Also, if you know anyone else that would be willing to take the time to share their opinions with me, could you pass this on to them? Thank you so much in advance.

So I'm trying to decide where I want to go to school, and it's starting to become a tough choice (Western/COMP, KCUMB, UNECOM). I really liked KCUMB, great facilities - OMM lab, anatomy lab, Clinical Competency Center - and I like being near a city. People seem to get along pretty well and help each other out when it comes to studying and whatnot. There seem to be some pretty good opportunities when it comes to rotations and eventually residencies, especially since the school has been around for so long. I also like the systems based curriculum, but other schools have that too. I have two concerns: 1) I'm not sure if I want to live in the midwest after I'm done with school, and 2) I've read here on SDN that the school has lost some pretty good faculty over the past few years because they went to new DO schools that may have offered them more money. Do most people end up doing rotations in the midwest? I know that core sites are typically located in the MO/KS area, but where else do people go? Do 4th years truly have the opportunity to go anywhere for electives, or are those sites more limited than the school leads us to believe? How do you feel about your teachers? Do you feel like they prepare you well for your exams, or do you find that you and your classmates end up teaching yourselves a lot of the time? Which subjects do you think are taught the best/worst? I realize that I'm asking a lot of questions, and that you're pretty busy, but any input you might have would be great. Also, if you know anyone else that would be willing to take the time to share their opinions with me, could you pass this on to them? Thank you so much in advance.

I think your ill informed on "core rotations" Quickly take a look on the schools website and see that KCUMB has a fairly extensive rotation list that spans the US. Actually they have a much larger geographic area of rotations compared to other DO schools. I spoke with a current second year and she said that the list shown isnt as long as the one she received earlier in the year when ranking sites.