The non-interview or competitive sub-specialty related IM thread (or also the vent thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It will be quiet in here until the end January when people want help with their rank lists, and after everyone blows a load telling us where they matched, it will be dead in here again next interview cycle.

I've seen this forum go from dead as dead, barely any action even during interview seasons, and expand from there over the years. Hard to hold onto any regulars. I don't know if that makes me lame or mentally unstable for continuing to post in here regularly. While we do get the occasional "pop-back-in" usually to flame someone for daring to say anything even remotely negative about a residency program.

I tried starting a clinic thread a few years ago. No real dice.

Even case based thread die very soon.

Is it that IM people are just that ****ing lame in general? I know certain personalities tend to self-select off into varying specialties, and maybe some of those personalities tend to post more on forums than others. I mean look at the anesthesia and EM forums, they talk about all kinds of stuff from politics to finance to guns. Am I really nuts for wondering why we can't have that kind of community in here too?

Maybe it's just the existential angst getting to me again.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in. I don't post much regarding apps/residency, but this sounds appealing.
Maybe we should start of w/ football since it's Sunday. Will Jesus (Tebow) continue to somehow win games for the Broncos? Also, what the hell happened to the Bills. They are god awful again.
At least I still have a small chance of making my fantasy football playoffs.. Just need Romo to produce today..

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be quiet in here until the end January when people want help with their rank lists, and after everyone blows a load telling us where they matched, it will be dead in here again next interview cycle.

I've seen this forum go from dead as dead, barely any action even during interview seasons, and expand from there over the years. Hard to hold onto any regulars. I don't know if that makes me lame or mentally unstable for continuing to post in here regularly. While we do get the occasional "pop-back-in" usually to flame someone for daring to say anything even remotely negative about a residency program.

I tried starting a clinic thread a few years ago. No real dice.

Even case based thread die very soon.

Is it that IM people are just that ****ing lame in general? I know certain personalities tend to self-select off into varying specialties, and maybe some of those personalities tend to post more on forums than others. I mean look at the anesthesia and EM forums, they talk about all kinds of stuff from politics to finance to guns. Am I really nuts for wondering why we can't have that kind of community in here too?

Maybe it's just the existential angst getting to me again.

Yeah, I love reading posts by a bunch of right-wing nutjobs with poor grammar

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I like Tebow, he represents his religion without any fear. Solid guy IMO. As long as they keep winning it is tough for them to pull the plug on him.

I'm a bears fan and I am dying over here. Without Cutler, now Forte we look horrible!

Maybe we should start of w/ football since it's Sunday. Will Jesus (Tebow) continue to somehow win games for the Broncos? Also, what the hell happened to the Bills. They are god awful again.
At least I still have a small chance of making my fantasy football playoffs.. Just need Romo to produce today..

Level one trauma came in the other day. Trauma surgeon was throwing a temper tantrum n the patient was going nowhere but down. I did what any good young medical student would do and got down n "Tebowed" in the middle of the trauma bay. Patient walked out of hospital under own strength next day. Medicine.

He is a joke of a QB and I'm so tired of the religion talk. Great guy, obviously, but being blindly and insanely religious doesn't make you a great guy.

+1

The gas guys get hella worked up. I stopped reading that forum somewhere between the right-wing conspiracy theories and rants about midlevels.

I don't even want to talk about my fantasy football teams this year. Ugh.

I need Manning to produce for me or I'm out of the playoffs.

And yes, I think Tebow keeps winning for Denver.

+1

The gas guys get hella worked up. I stopped reading that forum somewhere between the right-wing conspiracy theories and rants about midlevels.

Come on guys, don't miss the forest for trees. The point is they have an active forum. We may choose not to engage in conspiracy theory if you like, but let's engage in something.

Tell me about the last good book you read. I literally keep a list. Some I actually read, and others I get on audible.com, but I like good lit.

I like Tebow, he represents his religion without any fear. Solid guy IMO. As long as they keep winning it is tough for them to pull the plug on him.

I'm a bears fan and I am dying over here. Without Cutler, now Forte we look horrible!

I don't understand why Tebow's religion is even a talking point really. Who gives a flying rat's arse?

Dude what the hell is the deal with Cutler anyway? I've always been very sympathetic to the Bears and root for them when they play anyone but the Chiefs. This year they looked so good pre-season.

Level one trauma came in the other day. Trauma surgeon was throwing a temper tantrum n the patient was going nowhere but down. I did what any good young medical student would do and got down n "Tebowed" in the middle of the trauma bay. Patient walked out of hospital under own strength next day. Medicine.

He is a joke of a QB and I'm so tired of the religion talk. Great guy, obviously, but being blindly and insanely religious doesn't make you a great guy.

What makes him blindly and insanely religious? I admit I've not been following the news much, but what did he do?

What makes him blindly and insanely religious? I admit I've not been following the news much, but what did he do?

fair point. Outside of "god" being every 4th word in most sentences, I have no rebuttal other than suggesting that "blindness" is inherent in being religious (but I don't wanna go there).

College football trumps NFL anyday save for playoffs, but BCS is more broke than healthcare system.

Members don't see this ad :)
fair point. Outside of "god" being every 4th word in most sentences, I have no rebuttal other than suggesting that "blindness" is inherent in being religious (but I don't wanna go there).

College football trumps NFL anyday save for playoffs, but BCS is more broke than healthcare system.

:laugh: Sounds like you did go there! (for a second or two)

I tend to agree about college football. I like it better, but I just don't have a lot of time to watch football these days. I kind of gave up watching it during residency. I was always either working or not wanting to waste hours in front of the TV on the weekends when I had so little precious free-time in the first place. Though I always make time for the big bowl games. I'm mildly romantic about the bowl series, even if the BCS is garbage.

Funny...I thought that "right-wing nutjobs with poor grammar" comment was aimed at jdh.

]
tumblr_lt70ugMuSn1qf1lyjo1_500.png

:laugh: Sounds like you did go there! (for a second or two)

I tend to agree about college football. I like it better, but I just don't have a lot of time to watch football these days. I kind of gave up watching it during residency. I was always either working or not wanting to waste hours in front of the TV on the weekends when I had so little precious free-time in the first place. Though I always make time for the big bowl games. I'm mildly romantic about the bowl series, even if the BCS is garbage.

Nooooo. Romantic bout bowl series? Keep elite BCS bowls, fold em into an epic 3 week playoff-style extravaganza, then have all the other garbage bowls remain as an appetizer in preceding 2 weeks. Regular season still important as only top 8 make it, reward strength of schedule to encourage more fantastic match-ups during regular season, 3 week playoff month grows into marketing/entertainment/consumer monster over next ten years....everybody wins.

(deep south can continue chanting "SEC" while wearing cut-off jean shorts paired with nascar jackets)

Nooooo. Romantic bout bowl series? Keep elite BCS bowls, fold em into an epic 3 week playoff-style extravaganza, then have all the other garbage bowls remain as an appetizer in preceding 2 weeks. Regular season still important as only top 8 make it, reward strength of schedule to encourage more fantastic match-ups during regular season, 3 week playoff month grows into marketing/entertainment/consumer monster over next ten years....everybody wins.

(deep south can continue chanting "SEC" while wearing cut-off jean shorts paired with nascar jackets)

I'm ok with that. Sign me up!

It will be quiet in here until the end January when people want help with their rank lists, and after everyone blows a load telling us where they matched, it will be dead in here again next interview cycle...

I seem to remember you starting a similar thread in an attempt to inject some life into the IM forum last year. Need I remind you how that turned out? But God bless you for trying again and again.

Is it that IM people are just that ****ing lame in general?

If you have to ask the same question more than once, then I guess you have your answer.

As for Tebow, did anyone else catch Mark Kriegel's article where instead of using "passer rating" which would place Tebow 21st in the league, he asked some guy to come up with a more inclusive statistic he termed "adjusted yards per touch" which made Tebow the 5th best quarterback in the league behind only Brady, Rogers, and a couple of others.

I found that one hard to swallow. He's sloppy for sure and I think the only reason they're 6-1 with him is because Denver's defense is actually half-decent and picks up the slack. Although, he does come off as a horrible passer he is actually one of the best rushing quarterbacks which sounds really weird to say but he's built like a fullback and doesn't try to avoid contact. The winning streak can't last forever though.

Tebow is a winner, I'll give him that. If he can improve his passing ability, he will be tough to deal with. Denver has lucked out w/ a fairly easy schedule since the Detroit game, and their conference is awful.

Now let's wait and find out if we have to watch a rematch of the most boring college football game ever....

I seem to remember you starting a similar thread in an attempt to inject some life into the IM forum last year. Need I remind you how that turned out? But God bless you for trying again and again.

If you have to ask the same question more than once, then I guess you have your answer.

:(

As for Tebow, did anyone else catch Mark Kriegel's article where instead of using "passer rating" which would place Tebow 21st in the league, he asked some guy to come up with a more inclusive statistic he termed "adjusted yards per touch" which made Tebow the 5th best quarterback in the league behind only Brady, Rogers, and a couple of others.

I found that one hard to swallow. He's sloppy for sure and I think the only reason they're 6-1 with him is because Denver's defense is actually half-decent and picks up the slack. Although, he does come off as a horrible passer he is actually one of the best rushing quarterbacks which sounds really weird to say but he's built like a fullback and doesn't try to avoid contact. The winning streak can't last forever though.

It's not uncommon for a rookie to take years to get used to the pace of the game. I still say, Tebow is making it happen, and that's gotta say something.

Tebow is a winner, I'll give him that. If he can improve his passing ability, he will be tough to deal with. Denver has lucked out w/ a fairly easy schedule since the Detroit game, and their conference is awful.

You can only run for so long in the NFL. If wants to ever be great or last more than a couple years, he'll need to figure out how to get the rock to someone else to carry down field.

Tell me about the last good book you read. I literally keep a list. Some I actually read, and others I get on audible.com, but I like good lit.

The Shah's Last Ride - William Shawcross! very interesting read!!!

As for me, I am planning to stay posting here during residency, fellowship, and perhaps my attending years if i am fortunate :D

As the edge motto says: To arrive at the edge of the world's knowledge, seek out the most complex and sophisticated minds, put them in a room together, and have them ask each other the questions they are asking themselves.

... and we have a rematch.

Two recent books I've read and recommend: Swamplandia and The Fiery Trial

Swamplandia- great fiction, sort of magic/fantasy qualities

The Fiery Trial- great non-fiction about Lincoln/emancipation

A slow night of moonlighting and I've exhausted all my usual interweb sites (dailytech, NYTimes, k20a.org, cnet). The most interesting thing I saw tonight was new onset (likely < 2hr) AFib with RVR that I abolitionized with some IV muh toe pro lol. I guess sheer boredome brought me back to the IM subforum of SDN.

So, what internet sites do you all visit on a regular basis? I need some new sites to stimulate the mind. Work safe or NSFW...either way...post them up:thumbup:

A slow night of moonlighting and I've exhausted all my usual interweb sites (dailytech, NYTimes, k20a.org, cnet). The most interesting thing I saw tonight was new onset (likely < 2hr) AFib with RVR that I abolitionized with some IV muh toe pro lol. I guess sheer boredome brought me back to the IM subforum of SDN.

So, what internet sites do you all visit on a regular basis? I need some new sites to stimulate the mind. Work safe or NSFW...either way...post them up:thumbup:

ESPN, BBCnews, askmen.com (not regularly, but sometimes you find some good info lol)

As for the Tebow hating on these boards. There are two types of people in this world:
1) Love the guy, his attitude, his leadership, his open religious football, his ability to create a play out of nothing, his winning ways.
2) Hate the guy, his lack of passing ability, his fullback type body, his open religious football

I am in the latter, the guy is a winner. I just love the way his whole team has embodied his never die attitude. Maybe the damn Lions can learn from him! Well though we did schilack the broncos and TT pretty bad...

Btw anybody recommend a new show to get into till my Favorite Show (The Walking Dead on a mid season hiatus till Feb) comes back?

And for the individuals who have not seen the show please start watching now! The First Season on Blu-Ray is a delicious visual appetite.

ESPN, BBCnews, askmen.com (not regularly, but sometimes you find some good info lol)

Thanks for the suggestions, but I probably should have clarified, not ESPN and not news sites...those are pretty standard. I'm looking for the wow factor...

Btw anybody recommend a new show to get into till my Favorite Show (The Walking Dead on a mid season hiatus till Feb) comes back?

And for the individuals who have not seen the show please start watching now! The First Season on Blu-Ray is a delicious visual appetite.

Yeah, burned through season 1 of walking dead in 4 days on Netflix. Also burned through all 4 seasons of Breaking Bad this fall. I cut my cable off 3 years ago (just kept internet). Netflix + iTunes FTMFW:thumbup:.

Current guilty pleasures include Storage Wars and Pawn Stars. The premise is simple but these shows are more addictive than nicotine.

Not new shows but still great: Peep Show (now on netflix) and Modern Famiy (i was skeptical at first but this is probably the best comedy on television)

As for the Tebow hating on these boards. There are two types of people in this world:
1) Love the guy, his attitude, his leadership, his open religious football, his ability to create a play out of nothing, his winning ways.
2) Hate the guy, his lack of passing ability, his fullback type body, his open religious football

I am in the latter, the guy is a winner. I just love the way his whole team has embodied his never die attitude. Maybe the damn Lions can learn from him! Well though we did schilack the broncos and TT pretty bad...

I think you mean former. And I fall into neither camp.

Head-fi.org (High end audio, mainly headphones, earphones, some home audio, etc). If you get caught up, I feel sorry for your wallet. NASIOC.com (saw your K20a), and occasionally 6speedonline.com (luxury/supercar forums), just to drool and see some ridiculousness.

Head-fi.org (High end audio, mainly headphones, earphones, some home audio, etc). If you get caught up, I feel sorry for your wallet. NASIOC.com (saw your K20a), and occasionally 6speedonline.com (luxury/supercar forums), just to drool and see some ridiculousness.

This has been my labor of love for the past 2 years...my parents gave me a grocery getter when I finished med school:
IMG_0080-1-1.jpg

And I turned it into this....stripped it down to the frame, no bolt left untouched...lots of handmade custom parts:
bumpertestfit6.jpg

Last edited:

Heh.

Look what the cat dragged in. :smuggrin:

Anyone who hasn't seen Californication, should. Love that show. Though I still need to get caught up on last season.

other suggested readings:

The mind's I - Daniel Dennett

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time- Mark Haddon

Foucault's pendulum -Umberto Eco

good books people - I need them names

This year's Pulitzer prizewinner for fiction: "A visit from the Goon Squad" by Jennifer Egan is awesome.
"The Cat's Table" Michael Ondaatje. I never read The English Patient but this is reportedly just as good (and not nearly as schmaltzy as the movie The English Patient would lead one to believe the book is)
"Just Kids" by punk rock icon Patti Smith. It's a memoir of her younger days, particularly after first moving to NYC and moving in with Robert Maplethorpe. I just started it but it's great so far and my wife loved it.

This has been my labor of love for the past 2 years...my parents gave me a grocery getter when I finished med school:

Do you have any finished pics?

How did you learn to do all this? I've always been interested, but never knew how to get started.

Books

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay - fiction.
Story of a kid growing up in New York during WWII and his cousin who runs away from the Nazis to join him. This is supposed to be an amazing book (great characterization, Pulitzer prize winner), but for some reason it just never clicked with me. Can someone read it and teach me to appreciate it? :)

History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Edward Gibbon) - nonfiction.
I've been working through this book for a while. It was written a loooong time ago (18th/19th century), so the language is outdated. But apparently it was the first historic text that ever gained acceptance within the general populace (i.e., he made history accessible to a lot of people). Also, this book is apparently still considered one of the most important works about the Roman empire's downfall. Why am I interested in this? I've always had such a shortsighted view of history. As in, Western society can never fail, it is super awesome. But if you think about it, the US has only been around since 1776 (<250 years), whereas the Romans existed from 50bc to 450 ce, or about 500 years. Who are we to be so confident in "progress" and the permanence of our civic and economic structures when we've only been around for such a short time? I am hoping that this book will give me a better understanding of why great states can fail. Of course, things like technology have changed, and the world is much more globalized, but common themes must also exist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/opinion/why-selling-kidneys-should-be-legal.html?hp

What do you guys think of this modest proposal? Seems to open up talk about lots of ethical issues.

Interesting. I like the part where the author argues we already compensate for plasma, sperm, oocytes, and surrogate mothers...and the courts recently ruled in favor of compensating bone marrow donors. Why not organs?!?

Do you have any finished pics?

How did you learn to do all this? I've always been interested, but never knew how to get started.
I was in the same situation...I always wanted to build a fast (but clean looking...i.e. No stupid wing on the back) civic. I figured if high school kids can do it, hell I know I can. The complete process for swapping the engine, transmission, etc is pretty much spelled out to the "T" on the forums (kinda like how to study for the MCAT or USMLE is spelled out on these forums). The only thing that ever really prevented me from doing this sooner was a lack of $$$$. But, now that I can moonlight, $$$$ is the easy part....time to work on it has become the bottleneck.

It's not finished yet, but it should be running this month...I still have to paint the rest of the car and install the dash, seats, etc.

Any serious thoughts on Ron Paul? He has remained virtually untarnished through the debates. He is projected to do well in Iowa and, with the recent changes in the Republican caucuses (no longer all or nothing), he could make a come from behind surge late in the Republican primaries.

He appears to be one of the few remaining statesmen...he stands firm on his beliefs (did not accept Medicare as a physician because he disagreed with the principle of the entitlement programs) for better or worse. He is libertarian more than he is republican, so Dems and Republicans may find enough to like aout the guy if they scratch the surface. Granted, dismantling the entitlement programs is going to be a tough sell to the American people and I'm anxious to see how he approaches this topic when people actually start listening to him.

I'll be back to this thread later. I promise.

In the mean time I'd like to leave a little helpful advice . . . just because EPIC will let you pull it into your note, doesn't mean you should. Are you guys trying to make baby Jesus cry or what?

There have to be more people than dolor21 and myself who search the web. Post up interesting websites.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Best Comedy TV Shows

1. HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER - great sitcom on CBS about a group of friends living in NYC throughout their mid-late 20s / early 30s. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this shows is better than Friends. :eek: It has everything Friends had (funny and amazing plots revolved around friendship, marriage, relationships, hook-ups, bad life-decisions, etc.) plus NPH and all his glory. It's currently in the 7th season, but you can easily catch up with several marathon series -- each episode is only 20 min. I was so surprised to meet pple on the interview trail this year who haven't watched this show yet. Highly highly recommend.

2. MODERN FAMILY - mockumentary about a control-freak-wife + her non-type-A-personality husband + their 3 kids, a gay couple with 1 adopted kid, and an old man married to Sofia Vergara :))). The humor is cleaner than HIMYM, but still pretty hilarious. Currently in the 3rd season. Highly recommend.

3. NEW GIRL - two words: Zooey Deschanel. Nuff said. Recommend.

Best comedy film:

High Strung (With steve oedekerk)