The Non Practicing Academic Physician - Does the dictum " Publish or Perish " Hold true ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyler D

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to start out by saying that I am an IMG, I donot know the ground realities in the US. I have just begun a postdoctoral research fellowship.
While I work in my research I had a few questions which I would really appreciate if someone answers honestly and clears those doubts for me:

1 Suppose I am a senior PD in a big program and I am given a yearly grant of 40000 $ by my department as a research grant. Is the professor receiving the grant called upon subsequently to present findings of his research ?
If so, would it look better in front of whomever he presents his research that said doctor was able to generate 3 publications instead of 1 from the grant money (all else remaining same...i.e. the research is published in a same level journal & 3 pubs are generated)

2 Private NGO doctors also sponsor some doctors, would they in contrast to Governmental grant be more demanding that there be a higher research output with their grant named in acknowledgements ?

3 General question - A doctor who has been getting grants north of $50K a year for a decade, what would be his standing in the hospital/university/institute as a whole ? (Forgive my abject ignorance..u can say i am quite Fresh of the boat) Is an academic physician getting that amount of a grant considered to be a very influential/important doctor ?

Thanks a lot...
please do reply..I am quite new and i have a lot to learn..I would be open to suggestions as well as positive criticism. :) Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't you have a PI and colleagues to talk about this? And we already told you is quality over quantity, but you don't seem to be able to comprehend such simple concept. Nobody is impressed by multiple weak publications. Academics are not stupid.