The Official 01/30/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since January is nearby, I decided to refine the January MCAT club to it's two dates. For those of you who are taking it on Friday, January 30th, here is the place where you can vent, discuss, and support each other for this upcoming test. Best of luck guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No one else is gonna predict some scores?? :( I'm curious to see how people really thought they did.

i'm too scared, and honestly, don't know. i'd like to think that i did well on the verb. & bio. sections, but i don't want to jinx myself- lol.

one thing i can definitely predict is that i didn't do so well on physical sciences.

i think i got a 48 V...

17 PS (that was too easy : )
15 Verbal (it's my weakest section :/ )
16 Bio (I prob missed like half a point)

V writing

that test was so easy

my last aamc practice was a 36, and I averaged in the low to mid 30's. Still I have the feeling that I bombed and that a giant lizard will jump out of my score report, so I don't want to jinx anything by making predictions. I'm currently planning how to become the best blue-collar worker/ paramedic I can be till I retake in a couple of years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I averaged 29 on my practice tests. Here's my prediction:

PS: 8
VR: 10
BS: 8
Writing: Q

I felt bad about the bio section (orgo and some discretes) and I'm sure I made some dumb mistakes on physical sciences. I'm overall not to happy with how that test went.

I don't think this test was a test that you could compare your scores to AAMC tests since it was very different in style and format. Therefore, if you predict scores based on your previous practice exams, you are either giving yourselves false hope, or are in denial with wishful thinking. The best thing that we can do at this point is to relax, wait until March 3rd, and then figure out the next step. However, if you want to rate the sense of dread and overall quality of the test compared to your sense of other tests, then I would give this test a 2 on a 1-10 numerical scale...much like how I felt about aamc test 6, although I felt a lot better about test 6 then this one.

wait was AAMC Test #6 like this January test in terms of it being completely crazy and all over the place?

i personally with all jokes aside, think that the only shot i have is if there's a curve that will work in our favor.

i'm contemplating signing up for an april exam just in case...if the score is good, then i will just cancel the reservation and lose however much i lose..

I had the worst nightmare of opening my score report. Just horrible. I've never been more happy to wake up.

I just wanted to wish you all good luck! Take comfort in the knowledge that the exam is scaled, so it doesn't really matter if the test was particularly easy or hard (I haven't read many of the postings on this thread, so I'm not sure what the consensus is). I know you have a couple of weeks to go before you hear back, but try not to stress too much!

wait was AAMC Test #6 like this January test in terms of it being completely crazy and all over the place?

i personally with all jokes aside, think that the only shot i have is if there's a curve that will work in our favor.

I so completely agree with you.. that test was horrible.. I personally think that the physical sciences and the varbal passages were HORRIBLE.. like pulled out from my worst nightmares.. but the writing sample and bio weren't too bad.. so we'll see..
I hope more people agree with me.. REALLY HOPE SO..

=/

Members don't see this ad :)
it sounds like we had the same PS, and I totally agree with you about that capacitors and balls hanging from string and other weird stuff passage, when I looked at it and read the questions, I was like wtf? All the passages before that had been pretty straight forward but that passage was terrible. Anyone who had the airplane passage that I hear was rough, trust me I'm sure this was just as bad. Lets all hope that they were all experimental.

OMG... I had that question.. I felt that I just might as well had been taking the MCAT in Chinesse.. cuz I would have been just as lost..
but it picked up later.. during the WS and BS..
ugh...

I so completely agree with you.. that test was horrible.. I personally think that the physical sciences and the varbal passages were HORRIBLE.. like pulled out from my worst nightmares.. but the writing sample and bio weren't too bad.. so we'll see..
I hope more people agree with me.. REALLY HOPE SO..

=/

My reaction to AAMC 6 was the complete opposite... I got 13's on PS and VR and a 10 on BS. I guess each person has their own strengths. But it seems like no one thought this test was easy. So I suppose that's a good thing???

I think it's interesting to see everybody's deviation during the AAMC 3-10 exams. AAMC 6 was my best performance in PS with an 11 - but on AAMC 8 I got rocked with an 8 and others thought AAMC 8 PS was easy. The only thing I'm happy about is that I have yet to read anybody that took the test on 1/30 nearly as confident as the people that took it on 1/31.

I personally scored higher on the practice exams that I came out of with a good feeling....and this wasn't one of those.

What test dates from last year had particularly tough versions of the MCAT? June 14th I think was one right? What about the others?

August 26th FOR SURE!! probably the hardest MCAT given to this date, def the hardest test in general i have ever seen as well; just stupid hard.

i did a pretty good job not thinking about the test until today (most likely because of the constant state of intoxication i've been in since friday at 3pm lol).... but when i did, i almost started crying cuz of the VR section. impossible. my mind wandered at every passage :(

god i hate this.
today i woke up and i was like, maybe i should start studying again.
and then realized that if i did well, that means it was a waste.
if i didnt do well on 1/30, then its a waste not studying.
this is seriously driving me insane.

are u guys all studying for the next one for those who think they did bad or are u waiting for ur scores?

I'm already compulsively checking my score online and it hasn't even been a week... I've got problems.

Westhaven, I'm in the same boat as you. As much as I want to sit back and relax while waiting for my score, part of me wants to start studying just in case. I really, really pray that I won't have to. :-\

What test dates from last year had particularly tough versions of the MCAT? June 14th I think was one right? What about the others?

It was June 13th (Friday the 13th is why I remember it) of last year. Here's the thread. I'm posting the link for page 17 and onward because that's when you can start reading the thoughts of people returning from the test. Score results started coming in on page 42. Yes, they were a chatty bunch. LOL. The thread is 48 pages long.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=517886&highlight=June&page=17

will the scores be posted on the same website login as you use to register for the exam?

edit: to also add i think the main reason im bugging about the test is not because of those hard passages that i know were difficult.. well yes i am for that too but for those bio passages that you had to follow all the logic in the experiments. i can't fully remember any of the questions so i just worry that i had the logic wrong and therefore answered all the questions wrong because i thought the pathway went a->b->c and insteas it was a->c->b .

Last edited:
It was June 13th (Friday the 13th is why I remember it) of last year. Here's the thread. I'm posting the link for page 17 and onward because that's when you can start reading the thoughts of people returning from the test. Score results started coming in on page 42. Yes, they were a chatty bunch. LOL. The thread is 48 pages long.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=517886&highlight=June&page=17

Pretty interesting to read through some of that thread.

I guess what I got from that was that AAMC practice score ranges hold fairly true no matter how tough one perceives the actual MCAT relative to the AAMCs...

Looking at that thread it also seemed to me that the folks who are most in trouble are the ones who are scoring on practice exams in the 20s...even if their practice average is 28 or 29, they really can't afford to give away any points on the actual exam, but many of them seem to have particular trouble with one of sections (often VR) and that sinks their composite score on the actual...

I am not sure I understand why anyone who is scoring in the 20s on the practice exams would take the actual MCAT hoping for something better - what I am trying to say is don't take the actual until you are obtaining the scores you need...and that would be 30+...

So my girlfriend found this:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/02/05/korea.driving.license/index.html

771 times! I thought it may humor some of you as it relates to our resiliency. It would have been a strange example to use in one of our writing section prompts!

Imagine if someone took the MCAT 772 times. :eek: I think if I didn't do well after like 2 or 3 tries I'd give up.

Does the written part of the driving test really have that big of a question bank? You'd think that by now, she'd have seen each question quite a few times. If she went home and looked up one question after each test and remembered the answer, you'd think by now she'd have been lucky enough to get a test that has the right questions for her. But I guess some people are just unlucky like that.

Imagine if someone took the MCAT 772 times. :eek: I think if I didn't do well after like 2 or 3 tries I'd give up.

Does the written part of the driving test really have that big of a question bank? You'd think that by now, she'd have seen each question quite a few times. If she went home and looked up one question after each test and remembered the answer, you'd think by now she'd have been lucky enough to get a test that has the right questions for her. But I guess some people are just unlucky like that.

no joke. that must be SOME test

I had the worst nightmare of opening my score report. Just horrible. I've never been more happy to wake up.

I did too! Last night! I dreamt I got a 22. But hahaha.. it's quite the possibility. :laugh:

Guys, I signed up for the April 4th test since March was closed and the later April dates were closed as well. If my score SHOCKS me... and by shocks I mean is a thirty ANYTHING. Like If I see a 3_ I will be shocked.... :laugh: I will cancel my test and celebrate for a year.

:) Good luck to everyone! Its less than a month away!

Reading that June 13 2008 page makes me kind of wonder if our verbal section is going to turn out just as bad. It seems like the PS/BS sections evened out with the curve, but most everybody was crushed on verbal. I thought our verbal section had extremely long passages, but more often than not the questions were based on content rather than inference.

I'm kind of freaking out over that b/c verbal seems to hold the key between getting a decent score and a bad one...

my heart would skip several beats everytime i think about looking at my scores....:(

also, i noticed that even though some say it's hard....their predicted scores are like --- waYYYYY in MY DREAM!!!!!! wow you guys must be geniuses seriously. ;)

I've been eating Chinese food for as long as I can remember. In all that time I don't remember ever having a fortune cookie with the word "fail" on it. The night before my MCAT I went to a Chinese buffet and loaded up pretty nicely. I get a fortune cookie and walk out the door. I open it in my car. "No matter how many times a man FAILS, he is never a FAILure until he gives up" I'm not superstitious, but seriously wtf. I go back in and ask for another one, and this time it says "A call from a good friend will comfort you". I didn't get a call, but I called my gf, which helped. What didn't help is that I got food poisoning a couple of hours later (also for the first time ever).

Lesson: don't eat oysters or open fortune cookies the day before a big exam.

my heart would skip several beats everytime i think about looking at my scores....:(

also, i noticed that even though some say it's hard....their predicted scores are like --- waYYYYY in MY DREAM!!!!!! wow you guys must be geniuses seriously. ;)

ya seriously...i saw that too. someone's like it's hard i prob got a 35.
are u kiddin?

aawww thanks - at least someone shares my self-sympathy lol

yeah i always thought, for those who make 99 on their tests and say, "man i didn't study! darn..."

so what would happen if they did study? 110? lol

me...when I studied reallllll hard...then perhaps I might make it somewhere in 85's haha oh well not all men have equal genetic endowment right?

ya seriously...i saw that too. someone's like it's hard i prob got a 35.
are u kiddin?

I'm taking a vacation in DC for a couple days, never been there before, I'll have to stop by Chinatown and get a fortune cookie.

I took the MCAT on the Saturday, the 31st. I actually went to an Indian-Chinese restaurant for dinner the same day. I don't remember exactly what mine said, but it was an awesome one. It had something to do with 'success'... :D

I took the MCAT on the Saturday, the 31st. I actually went to an Indian-Chinese restaurant for dinner the same day. I don't remember exactly what mine said, but it was an awesome one. It had something to do with 'success'... :D
Hmmm....I ate chinese the week before and got a positive fortune as well. Anyone else want to jump on the fortune cookie prediction wagon??

Last edited:
Hmmm....I ate at chinese the week before and got a positive fortune as well. Anyone else want to jump on the fortune cookie prediction wagon??

About a week before the MCAT, I got a fortune cookie that said I needed to "reevaluate my future goals." What kind of messed up fortune cookie is that?! But whatever, Panda Express isn't real Chinese food anyway, right?

Hmmm....I ate chinese the week before and got a positive fortune as well. Anyone else want to jump on the fortune cookie prediction wagon??

I think it's so funny we all consulted fortune cookies independently. Two nights before, I ordered takeout and got the first fortune:

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

While there's some truth to that, it wasn't the "Your test-taking ability far exceeds other of your calibur." Or something to that effect that I was hoping for... so... I opened another one:

"Your success in life must be earned with earnest efforts."

Again, left unfulfilled by this little crunchy dessert. :cool:

No fortune cookies for me. But since we are on the topic I'll share some of my favorite fortunes ever.

"If everyone is a worm, be a glow worm."

"Keep your goals away from the trolls."

Amazing words of wisdom right there. Does it bother anyone that fortunes aren't fortunes at all? They are always advice. I have never ever seen a cookie that attempts to predict the future. Total misnomer!!

About a week before the MCAT, I got a fortune cookie that said I needed to "reevaluate my future goals." What kind of messed up fortune cookie is that?! But whatever, Panda Express isn't real Chinese food anyway, right?

well, you can interpret that as "don't shoot for a 39, shoot for a 33" or find another way to spin it.