The Official 01/31/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since January is nearby, I decided to refine the January MCAT club to it's two dates. For those of you who are taking it on Saturday, January 31th, here is the place where you can vent, discuss, and support each other for this upcoming test. Best of luck guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm the guy who was completely convinced he skipped a verbal passage.

I got a 38Q!!!!!! What the hell??? I thought I bombed.

B 15
P 12
V 11

Wow!

I took it twice before, and both times got a 32, and now my dream score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure what you're saying is true for that particular school, but they sound like an exception. I've gotten the impression that most schools in the US care very little about the writing score. (In Canada, on the other hand, they care quite a lot.) I got an S on that section twice, and it was never mentioned at any of my interviews; I also recall a hilarious story from the Most Bizarre Interview Moments thread where a guy who scored O in writing was asked by his interviewer why he got a "zero" for that section.

Whoa, careful there. I have heard that same idea repeated pretty frequently, and based on my own experience, I'd say it's wildly exaggerated. I'd state it more as follows: If all the other sections of your MCAT are at least good, a very high verbal score could get you extra brownie points. If, on the other hand, one or more of them is low, verbal isn't going to save you.

I was one of those outliers who got a really unbalanced MCAT score: verbal was very high (13), bio good (11), but PS was terrible (7), because I was really nervous and blew my time management, causing me to leave questions blank when time expired. By this surgeon's thinking, a 31S with a 13 in verbal, along with good grades from a well-known postbacc, should have given me a shot at a lot of places. I did get an acceptance to med school recently, but only because I applied super-broadly (27 schools) and was relentless with LOIs and update letters to all of them.

Meanwhile, I've been waitlisted at the other 3 schools where I've had decisions (2 more are pending), and I think the PS score may have played a role. (That's why I took the test for the third time on 1/31.) Most sobering of all, I've been rejected without interviews, placed on hold or ignored at 10 of the 12 schools in my native state, NY; the only NY schools that have invited me are the 2 upstate SUNYs, Upstate and Buffalo, even though I live in NYC. Some of the very schools which have publicly stated that they "love" high verbal scores have tossed my app in the trash without a second thought. And these were not all elite schools, either: if SUNY Downstate rejected me after 2 weeks with a 13 VR, I can't say that it's worth much.

The way adcoms seem to think, I'd say you're only as good as your WEAKEST section on the MCAT. Sounds harsh, but it's pretty true.

Your problem wasn't your scores (in regards to the NYC schools). It's that out-of-state tuition they're looking for. Move to Jersey then reapply!! :)

Wow... 28O.. now what do I do? Retake?

28 R, retaking, sooooo upset

8 VR (How did this happen, averaged 11-13 on practices)
9 PS (averaged 10-12)
11 BS (averaged 10-12)

Not happy at all...

34q 13 10 11

meh...its a fringe score, right on the borderline of what I said Id be happy with...I wanted a 35+, but I really dont know if this is worth retaking.

Akademix

This was my third MCAT. First two times I blew the PS because the problems were brutal, I was very nervous and blew my pacing, and didn't finish all the questions.

Test #1 30S: 7 PS 12 VR 11 BS
Test #2 31S: 7 PS 13 VR 11 BS

This time I conquered the beast!!

Test #3: 33R: 12 PS 11 VR 10 BS

My bio and verbal went down but I don't really care--I proved I'm not a ****** in PS!!!!!!!!!

Now we'll see if this can get me at interview at my dream school ...

34q 13 10 11

meh...its a fringe score, right on the borderline of what I said Id be happy with...I wanted a 35+, but I really dont know if this is worth retaking.

Akademix

I feel ya, I got exact same score, I don't think im retaking tho, mainly because it was just a beast to study for

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who took prep courses or did practice tests, I was wondering how well you did compared to your practice tests(please state which practice set you took)?
Thanks!

If you look back to the day of the exam I predicted a 34.

I got a 34R!!! Very satisfied!!

Congratulations to everyone that got the score they wanted. :)

September 12, 2008: 24M

January 31, 2009: 33P! :)

Congrats to everyone who got the score they wanted. Time to celebrate...33 shots! lol

35 R :) First and only time thank god... it sucked how all-consuming the test was for 3 months of my life!

35S....10V 12B 13P....

Very satisifed....right on what I averaged on the online aamc practice ones.

I also thought I skipped a verbal passage and it bugged me for a whole month.

41S - 14PS, 12V, 15B

Meh on Verbal and I wanted a T on Writing :'(

Bio was a surprise and PS was a slight downer (I'm a Chem major . . .)

Hope everyone's happy with their scores

Congrats everyone! I see some great scores.

I'm stoked with my 32M!

41S? I hope that tear was sarcastic.

11 10 13 R --> 34R

:D

VERY surprised! Thought I got an 8 in verbal, thought that I'd do better in PS (was consistently scoring 13-14 on PS) and hit the mark on BS.

aamc averages: 12.75, 9.75, 11.75 --> 34

Good to know I got what AAMC predicted! ...Even if the subscores were slightly off.

31N :( (10 PS 9 VR 12 BS)

That essay score makes me want to vomit. What do I do now?

Looking for some advice.

my MCAT score was a 30M (9 PS 11 VR 10 BS) and I was just accepted into school. I wouldn't worry too much about the writing sample...I think that you can compensate for that with a good personal statement (which is necessary anyways).

I am way stoked about this. I thought I totally bombed the Phys. Sciences section because I ran out of time and had to randomly bubble in 4 answers. I think I bubbled in "B" for all of them. I seriously thought that my performance was sub-30, but I guess I am just pleasantly shocked. I figured I deserved it since I only started studying 2 weeks before the test. My wife teaches first grade and I watch our 1 year old daughter all day and take her to all my classes, and then I work at night. I felt so sure that I was going to have to take this over again that I signed up for the April 4th MCAT two days after taking the exam. This is such a relief! I finally feel like my dreams of being an MD are within reach.

Last edited:
I hate this f-ing test! I did the same as last time. I'm going to have to retake it, AGAIN...

:bang:

I hate this f-ing test! I did the same as last time. I'm going to have to retake it, AGAIN...

:bang:

Oh gosh how frustrating... I somewhat feel your pain - I only went up 2 points and needed a jump of 6 or 7. You can do this though - no giving up!

I did about 5 points below my average.... if I retook and hit my average (38), would top schools look down on this? how would they view my january score? a fluke perhaps? cuz i really think it was.....

Good luck to everyone who has to retake. Don't be phased by this.

To everyone who's done...let's party. Who else is going to Cancun for Spring Break? See you at Senior Frogs next week!

I did about 5 points below my average.... if I retook and hit my average (38), would top schools look down on this? how would they view my january score? a fluke perhaps? cuz i really think it was.....

Well, look at the odds AMCAS provides on raising the score on the retake based on actual data. A retake of a 33 would only make sense to me if one of the sub scores was really out of whack (7 or 8) and put your app at risk...if your 33 is balanced, the odds of raising an 11 are 3 to 1 against you...

A 33 is 2 points above the median /avg matriculant, and that is a good place to be...if the rest of your app is in good shape, and you apply broadly and early, you should be fine (if your GPA is in the 3.8 to 4.0 bracket, the AAMC data indicates approx a 90 percent acceptance rate). How much higher does it get for a 38? I haven't looked, but not much IIRC...

As for your question, which requires assuming you will score a 38, med schools will probably look favorably upon the improvement, but the 33 will still be there. What you have to evaluate is the risk that you would actually go down, or get a one point improvement but with a badly lopsided section score (like a 7 or 8)...

I have given this a lot of thought because I am basically in the same boat...I got a 33 too...thank god it was balanced 11s so I don't have anything to apologize for...and my average on practice exams was 36ish...but I have a very strong GPA (3.9ish)...so I have decided that there is no way in hell I am going to risk screwing up this perfectly acceptable 33 with a retake...I am also not as fixated on "top schools" as most SDN people are, either, so YMMV...and I was not hoping for, nor did I need, a high MCAT to "offset" a low GPA...if that is your situation, I am not sure what you should do...

Last edited:
I know this is a semi-dumb question to ask since I did well and i'm 95% sure I'm not going to retake (hey, it ruined my life as much as it probably ruined you guys') but is 11/10/13 (+R in writing :D) too unbalanced?

my MCAT score was a 30M (9 PS 11 VR 10 BS) and I was just accepted into school. I wouldn't worry too much about the writing sample...I think that you can compensate for that with a good personal statement (which is necessary anyways).

Good to know spelledout. Thanks for your reply.

Does anyone know if any US schools have a cutoff for the letter score, or is it mostly a minor factor?

Well, look at the odds AMCAS provides on raising the score on the retake based on actual data. A retake of a 33 would only make sense to me if one of the sub scores was really out of whack (7 or 8) and put your app at risk...if your 33 is balanced, the odds of raising an 11 are 3 to 1 against you...

A 33 is 2 points above the median /avg matriculant, and that is a good place to be...if the rest of your app is in good shape, and you apply broadly and early, you should be fine (if your GPA is in the 3.8 to 4.0 bracket, the AAMC data indicates approx a 90 percent acceptance rate). How much higher does it get for a 38? I haven't looked, but not much IIRC...

As for your question, which requires assuming you will score a 38, med schools will probably look favorably upon the improvement, but the 33 will still be there. What you have to evaluate is the risk that you would actually go down, or get a one point improvement but with a badly lopsided section score (like a 7 or 8)...

I have given this a lot of thought because I am basically in the same boat...I got a 33 too...thank god it was balanced 11s so I don't have anything to apologize for...and my average on practice exams was 36ish...but I have a very strong GPA (3.9ish)...so I have decided that there is no way in hell I am going to risk screwing up this perfectly acceptable 33 with a retake...I am also not as fixated on "top schools" as most SDN people are, either, so YMMV...and I was not hoping for, nor did I need, a high MCAT to "offset" a low GPA...if that is your situation, I am not sure what you should do...

yeah I had an "out of whack" score (8 in VR). I was consistently scoring 10-11, so I have no clue what happened. maybe the curve did me in. I too have a 3.9 gpa, and it's not necessarily that I'm aiming for a top school... I just live in CA and we all know that's one of the worse states to live in for med school admissions. Basically, I need to do pretty well on the MCAT. But before this, and based on my practice averages, I was aiming for a top tier school. I am still aiming for a top tier school, and I know I can do better upon retaking, but I'm just concerned about how much this will affect me for admissions to top schools even if I do get in the 37-38 range on a retake :(

yeah I had an "out of whack" score (8 in VR). I was consistently scoring 10-11, so I have no clue what happened. maybe the curve did me in. I too have a 3.9 gpa, and it's not necessarily that I'm aiming for a top school... I just live in CA and we all know that's one of the worse states to live in for med school admissions. Basically, I need to do pretty well on the MCAT. But before this, and based on my practice averages, I was aiming for a top tier school. I am still aiming for a top tier school, and I know I can do better upon retaking, but I'm just concerned about how much this will affect me for admissions to top schools even if I do get in the 37-38 range on a retake :(

Your situation is more difficult than mine since my 33 is evenly balanced, plus I don't live in CA, thank god.

I honestly would be very concerned about trying to raise a 33 to a 38. A 28 - 30 would be a no brainer retake for you, but you scored just high enough to make improvement more risky...really tough to say what you should do...but I personally think those high 30s scores, and higher, are really kind of a fluke...I feel like I can say that because I had several 37-39 scores on the practice exams, too, and I could never sense that I had done any better on the high scores than on the low ones, and I felt the same way about the actual MCAT...

Good luck, and if you retake, I hope you get the score you want. I suggest you ask LizzyM - she is at a top tier school - she could advise you on the "stigma" of retaking the MCAT even if you get the high score you hoped for...I think that there is a stigma attached to multiple MCATs at the top tiers, but nobody can say that for sure...

Last edited:
First time posting here...
Took the MCAT for first time 1/31/09
Score: 27 P
10 VR
11 BS
6 !?!?!?!? PS
Look at that disparity haha, nerves def hit me during the first section, going to retake, only question is when?
Congrats to all those happy with their scores!

its sad to see this thread die especially considering how addicted to it i was at some point... i think we all share a unique bond through all of this (im usually never sentimental and crap but i invested so much emotionally and mentally in this damn test)...anyways ill definitely remember the heads in here and i hope to see yall more on the pre-allo forums for this coming cycle.

PEACE!

Pretty happy with my score, but I'm definitely thinking about retaking :thumbup:

Last edited:
43R - (15 PS, 15 V, 13 BS) :)

First time, on a pretty bad day, I got 35R (12 PS, 9 V, 14 BS)

Pretty happy with my score, but Biology just hit all my weak points - not enough immuno and too many questions on neurons.

43R - (15 PS, 15 V, 13 BS) :)

First time, on a pretty bad day, I got 35R (12 PS, 9 V, 14 BS)

Pretty happy with my score, but Biology just hit all my weak points - not enough immuno and too many questions on neurons.

Haha you are crazy:p, congrats on the score! looks like you def got that improvement on VR. May i ask why you retook?

For some reason a 15, 15 seems pretty impossible. Is this really true?

Thanks OSUMC; like I said, it was terrible my first time:
1) They told me that I couldn't test when I showed up b/c their computers weren't functioning (which made me anxious), but checked me in last minute
2) Got tripped up on the PS (which my practice scores indicated to be 14-15), which screwed up my verbal completely - thought about walking out the whole time
3) Knew I could do better, recouped, studied again for a month, and retook

Screenshot for ORELL: http://s593.photobucket.com/albums/tt17/jasonliu822/?action=view&current=Capture.jpg

Last edited:
41S - 14PS, 12V, 15B

Meh on Verbal and I wanted a T on Writing :'(

Bio was a surprise and PS was a slight downer (I'm a Chem major . . .)

Hope everyone's happy with their scores
GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! god shut up and celebrate we dont want obnoxious ppl like you on this site!!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks OSUMC; like I said, it was terrible my first time:
1) They told me that I couldn't test when I showed up b/c their computers weren't functioning (which made me anxious), but checked me in last minute
2) Got tripped up on the PS (which my practice scores indicated to be 14-15), which screwed up my verbal completely - thought about walking out the whole time
3) Knew I could do better, recouped, studied again for a month, and retook

Screenshot for ORELL: http://s593.photobucket.com/albums/tt17/jasonliu822/?action=view&current=Capture.jpg

HS. dude, definitely make a post in the 30+ forum.