The official 08/06/2009 MCAT CLUB!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mellymel09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just noticed that there is no official club for the August 6th MCAT'ers so I've decided to create one! I hope that everyone's studying is coming along great. I'm actually re-doing my MCAT for the second time around (I wrote it last summer for the first time and sadly didn't do as well as I'd hoped). I plan on dedicating this month to content review and then hopefully spending the last two months prior to my exam on practice exams/problems. Has anyone here ever taken the test more than once? If so, did you improve and how did you re-study strategically? Also, by how many points can one expect to realistically improve???

Members don't see this ad.

Might as well join the thread since I'll be going for attempt #3 on 8/6.

Third time's a charm right?

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you go about studying all over again... what advice can you give?

A lot of soul-searching and being sure it was what I wanted!

Honestly, I think having more upperlevel and preparatory classes helped, I wasn't completely prepared the first two times. Besides that, I spent a LOT of time in practice test review mode for my last retake.

I think a good rule of thumb is 1.5 to 2 times the amount of time it took you to TAKE the practice test it should take to go over it. Sounds crazy but worked for me when nothing else did.

If you take enough practice tests, and go over them in depth, you'll start seeing patterns. Even on the real thing it was like i'd already answered most of the questions in practice mode. I didn't blow it out of the water with a SDN-worthy score, but my lowly 29 served me just wonderfully and I was incredibly proud of it :)

A lot of soul-searching and being sure it was what I wanted!

Honestly, I think having more upperlevel and preparatory classes helped, I wasn't completely prepared the first two times. Besides that, I spent a LOT of time in practice test review mode for my last retake.

I think a good rule of thumb is 1.5 to 2 times the amount of time it took you to TAKE the practice test it should take to go over it. Sounds crazy but worked for me when nothing else did.

If you take enough practice tests, and go over them in depth, you'll start seeing patterns. Even on the real thing it was like i'd already answered most of the questions in practice mode. I didn't blow it out of the water with a SDN-worthy score, but my lowly 29 served me just wonderfully and I was incredibly proud of it :)

I get what you mean. I took Kaplan's prep course last summer and took the MCAT late Aug 08 but I was working full time at the time seeing as I'm a COOP student and thus have to complete work terms as part of my program and this did not leave me with much time to study. Also, I was going to class (Kaplan) 2 nights a week and working a second job which I couldn't get out of (long story) 3 nights a week. So this left me with late nights and weekend studying and I was absolutely burned out. I managed to go over everything but didn't get a chance to really start practicing FLs till about 1-2 weeks prior to my actual test date. I was scoring late twenties and eventually hit early thirties but on the latest full lengths I had done a few days prior to my exam, I was scoring in the mid-late twenties and this kinda threw me off and sorta ruined my confidence. So I did some more content review and decided to take the test regardless since I had it scheduled for Aug 26 and school was just around the corner, I didn't want to drag it in any further. So I took it. It was pretty tough; tougher than the first 5 Kaplan full lengths that I'm sure. Anyways, to make a long story short I finished with 25Q with the following break down: PS: 8 VR: 7 BS: 10. I had never scored higher than an 8 in VR but I had never scored below a 10 in PS in the practice score. My BS score was also lower than usual. So I decided to retake it again this year. I told myself that hopefully I can start studying more in advance and although I am working full time again (mandatory COOP work term again), I do not have anything major scheduled in the evenings and therefore plan on spending more time studying then. Also, I plan on doing a lot more practice passages, particularly in VR. Anyways, I am hoping to improve my score by at least 5 points. I am keeping my fingers crossed and trying to keep myself as focused as possible despite the beautiful weather that is summer and its perks.:rolleyes:

The first time I was still an undergrad fool just going through the motions honestly.

Second time, I felt I was extremely prepared. Been studying for a very long time, maybe too much since I had to keep moving my 2nd attempt back because of something that came up with family and other events in life that seemed to occur just when I was about to finally take it. I've taken solid upper levels, am in a master's program, and so nothing felt 'bizarre' like how passages can on the MCAT sometimes. I think I let nerves get to me, because I kept telling myself this is it, this is the one, you're going to do great and that'll be it. And I started off great but had to guess the last PS passage (however I did improve by 2 points in PS), and it just snowballed from there - verbal I normally get 11+ on practice and I kept 2nd guessing my judgement and changed answers, so I went down in VR which is mind-boggling to me. And then during the break I just kept saying in my mind your voiding this, which is never good and I should've just listened to myself. BS didn't seem that bad, there was some very difficult passages, but it was topics I had either just gotten tested on in classes two weeks prior (and did well on those tests) or had some fimiliarity with, but I think at that point my judgement was all off so I didn't net any change in BS but a 10 isn't bad anyway.. but its frustrating when you consistently get 12-14 on AAMC FL's in BS.

That was my experience the second time. My advice for you, and myself, is to try to stay calm and focused. Normally I'm like ice when it comes to exams or sports, but this time I was just all over the place. BS is also very different from the AAMCs now it seems like. A lot less background info, and more of an extension of VR, and having to analyze data and be critical of journal-like publications. Naturally all the discretes is background info, but these were rather challenging this time.

I agree with you on the BS section... it was a lot tougher than those of the practice full lengths I had done; it was way more technical and experimental oriented, in fact, it reminded me a lot of some labs which I had done in the past and most of it was result interpretation and it was pretty complicated and twisted with the words which they used to describe everything (it was like verbal part II) to the point where I felt so discouraged cause usually bio had been relatively easy compared to the rest. Verbal I had to guess about 1 and a half passage because I ran out of time and physical sciences had a whole lot of calculations and with the stress of having it be "the real deal" I kept getting flustered and screwing up which threw me off! Anyways, I hope that this time will be better, I want to improve my test-taking skills and work on timing and critical thinking especially.

So for those of us who are scheduled on August 6th, how goes the studying??? Personally, I'm trying to get over all of the content first before moving on to practice exams. I've done about 1/3 of Phys, 1/3 of gen Chem, 1/3 of O-chem and now I'm currently doing the 1/3 of Bio. I'm using the Kaplan review books since I took the course last year. I'm hoping to finish up with content by end of May/early June and then start tackling practice topical/subject tests online along with FLs. I also work full time so I'm trying to stick to a stringent schedule as best as I can in order to not get side-tracked and behind. Any other full-timers out there?

Let's keep motivation to the max folks, let's not let this exam get the best of us, let's get the best of it!;)

Hell yeah, we'll gonna knock it out, Mel.

I ordered the BR books for phys and chem the other day, so hopefully they come in next week by the time I'm back from my mini-holiday. My plan is to mainly focus on practice tests, but since PS has always been my weakest area to do content review for that, EK for verbal (should be coming in the mail any day now), and go over my kaplan books again for BS. Can't use AAMC 7-10 again, so going to do 3-6, and probably end up ordering the BR practice tests soon and to those. Im curious to see if I can get kaplan to just give me access to their practice tests, and I'd do the ones I haven't done yet (anything after FL 5). If not, then definitely ordering BR's tests. My goal is get timing/pacing down locked tight and just get in a lot of practice. I feel pretty good about content for the most part since I've just done it, and nothing was surprising on April 4th.. just lost my composure after going off pace in PS.

I'll be working in lab doing my project, so that'll be kinda full time but more like a 20-30 hour week I'd assume.

Good luck Mel, and everyone else.

LOL Longshanks, yes we will devoure this thing :D!

BTW if you've studied for Kaplan before and it's been 3 months or so (I think it's a 90 day policy) after your account with them has expired, then I think you can use your higher score guarantee. You should double check with them on that. If so, then they'll grant you online access once again for free. Yeah, I never got around to doing anything past FL #5 the first time around which is why this time I am determined to use every resource available. I heard a lot of ppl saying great things about the EK for verbal and am wondering if I should give it a shot or stick to Kaplan. What do you think?

Umm.. let's say I have been on a very long journey with this application process (still a youngin' though, working on my masters now) and they told me to cough up $1700 and I said hells no, not in this economy. So TBR got my money.

I've never used EK before, I was always skeptical but you're right that people say good things about it here. I'll let you know in a week or two of my opinion lol.

Hey all I am taking the 8/6/09 MCAT in NJ this summer as well. Took it in June '08 last summer and didnt fair well because my verbal score was pretty low. I am finishing up my graduate schooling at Drexel and plan to study all summer for this thing. My main focus will be to review the physical sciences (which I haven't seen since last year) and heavily focus on my verbal. All I have taken is upper level bio classes so I am feeling pretty good. I think the only thing I will review in Bio is Genetics. Looking forward to conversing with everyone on this thread throughout the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all I am taking the 8/6/09 MCAT in NJ this summer as well. Took it in June '08 last summer and didnt fair well because my verbal score was pretty low. I am finishing up my graduate schooling at Drexel and plan to study all summer for this thing. My main focus will be to review the physical sciences (which I haven't seen since last year) and heavily focus on my verbal. All I have taken is upper level bio classes so I am feeling pretty good. I think the only thing I will review in Bio is Genetics. Looking forward to conversing with everyone on this thread throughout the summer.

Hello Studywithfury, and welcome!!! Yeah, I didn't do as I'd hoped last summer either. Hopefully this year will be different!!! I want to focus more on doing practice exam passages and especially verbal and PS. Right now, I'm just trying to get through the content ASAP!

Good luck on your end!!! :)

bump.

Any new 8/6ers? How is everyone's studying going?

Well I'm not a new 8/6 er (and come to think of it I'm wondering where they are all hiding as well lol) but as for the studying part, I'm done just a little over 1/3 of the content... trying to speed things up but it's a little hard since I'm at work all day. I'm giving myself the next 2-3 weeks to finish all content and then move on to practice passages hopefully!

How's it going for everybody else?

Good to hear, Mel. My BR and EK books just came in, so I'll be doing those as new material, since I had just taken in April using kaplan's online course. I've taken a break of the MCAT since I took it, and since I got my score back just to focus on finals and reboot my mind a bit so its geared up to go. Have a major experiment as part of my project next week so that'll take up a lot of day time, and at night's this month I've been just working in updating application stuff and drafting/re-drafting personal statement. I'm thinking next weekend its full steam ahead again. I felt confident material wise last time, I just lost my composure, so I'm not as worried about content review again (although I will go through it all) as I am about figuring out what went wrong in verbal on the real thing compared to practice tests and keeping good pace in PS and better integrating my BS knowledge with how the recent real mcat passages seemed more interdisciplinary or analytical, since I did fine just not the superb BS scores I routinely received during practice.

Good to hear, Mel. My BR and EK books just came in, so I'll be doing those as new material, since I had just taken in April using kaplan's online course. I've taken a break of the MCAT since I took it, and since I got my score back just to focus on finals and reboot my mind a bit so its geared up to go. Have a major experiment as part of my project next week so that'll take up a lot of day time, and at night's this month I've been just working in updating application stuff and drafting/re-drafting personal statement. I'm thinking next weekend its full steam ahead again. I felt confident material wise last time, I just lost my composure, so I'm not as worried about content review again (although I will go through it all) as I am about figuring out what went wrong in verbal on the real thing compared to practice tests and keeping good pace in PS and better integrating my BS knowledge with how the recent real mcat passages seemed more interdisciplinary or analytical, since I did fine just not the superb BS scores I routinely received during practice.

I think it's great that you took some time off to relax a bit. These past couple of weeks I haven't been as productive as I wished but I think I was kinda burned out cause not even a week after I was done finals (intensive no-sleep involved studying for days) I started working full time and studying rather intensly at the same time. So I felt kinda worn out to be honest. I'm trying to regain a better pace and also it's hard to adjust to a new job/mind set so I guess it was to be expected. I'm kinda worried about losing my composure as well. I tend to be a "triple C" person (calm, cool & collected) but I always end up screwing up big important moments in my life because I keep telling myself "this is the real deal, this is going to determine the outcome of your life, this is it!" and so the pressure gets to me and I crack! So I kinda wanna work with the following mindset on test day: that this is no biggie, I'll just do what I can, I've done the best/all I can and now I can and should just let things be.

Aside from that, I've also been encountering many distractions. Good and fun distractions but not good for studying: mother's day, sister's birthday, and now 2 of my friends are leaving the country for an extended period of time so probably a few goodbies, some events amongst friends and organizations/groups I'm involved in... So I kinda am waiting/hoping for things to settle down a little! At the same time, I don't wanna alienate myself completely from the world around me cause usually when I do that I just become "dark & twisty" or "gloomy" and it just works against me and I can't study properly anymore...

Hope things are groovy on your end! :)

whats up gang?

unfortunately for me I am still stuck in the library studying for my Final in medical neuroscience at Drexel. It's kind of funny, I am studying medical school courses now but all I want to do is re-study my undergrad classes and crush the MCAT!!!

I have been working my verbal skills though (since that was my worst section last year when I took the MCAT for the first time). Did the AAMC 3 CBT verbal section and scored a 8 so I'm starting off not too poorly. If I can get a anywhere from a 8-10 in VR on the real deal I will be psyched.

My science sections (like most pre-meds) are my real strengths. I am looking forward to tackling the bio section after taking all these upper level science courses in grad school this year.

My BR physics I and II books are coming in the mail as well so I will be excited to read these updated versions.

Good luck to all!!!

whats up gang?

unfortunately for me I am still stuck in the library studying for my Final in medical neuroscience at Drexel. It's kind of funny, I am studying medical school courses now but all I want to do is re-study my undergrad classes and crush the MCAT!!!

I have been working my verbal skills though (since that was my worst section last year when I took the MCAT for the first time). Did the AAMC 3 CBT verbal section and scored a 8 so I'm starting off not too poorly. If I can get a anywhere from a 8-10 in VR on the real deal I will be psyched.

My science sections (like most pre-meds) are my real strengths. I am looking forward to tackling the bio section after taking all these upper level science courses in grad school this year.

My BR physics I and II books are coming in the mail as well so I will be excited to read these updated versions.

Good luck to all!!!

Welcome studywithfury! I'm sure you'll be fine :) I didn't do so great on verbal either so I'm hoping to improve on that... anyone has any tips? My problem is timing mostly. It takes me too long to read the darn thing and I'm a person who constantly has a million thoughts all at once so it's hard to keep my focus on dense passages. Then I spend forever deciding on questions and second guessing myself. So I deff need some work there!

Good luck to you too!!! & feel free to drop by your fellow MCATers in here every once in a while!

Hey guys! Just wondering how the studying is coming along for all of you! Hope it's all going well and that you've all stuck to your schedules! I gave myself until June 6th to finish with the content but I'm only about 2/3 done! I'm going to try and speed things up this week hopefully to catch up :xf:... I really want to devote the last couple of months to practice exams and especially verbal! On the bright side, I am ahead of the Kaplan summer course which I am following.

Hope you guys are still managing to enjoy the nice summer weather a little bit to brighten things up ;)

I can't buy beer yet, but I'm taking a test that will essentially determine the rest of my future...FUN!

Studying is going ok.

Hey every1 hope your all doing well.....So im scheduled to take the MCAT on the 22 nd of august but idk i might wana change it to the 6th what do u all think my studying is ok i have made a schedule and it is to end on july 29th so any ideas....btw im using Kaplan and EK and some Barrons ....Any tips ??? oh and im applying for this year cycle

I can't buy beer yet, but I'm taking a test that will essentially determine the rest of my future...FUN!

Studying is going ok.

Haha Mike you should come up here to Canada... you can buy beer at 19 and 18 if you're in Quebec ;) lol... yeah we're much looser on those things :laugh:

Glad to hear you studying is going well!

Hey every1 hope your all doing well.....So im scheduled to take the MCAT on the 22 nd of august but idk i might wana change it to the 6th what do u all think my studying is ok i have made a schedule and it is to end on july 29th so any ideas....btw im using Kaplan and EK and some Barrons ....Any tips ??? oh and im applying for this year cycle

Hey Norah! Well, It's always good to allow yourself as much time as you need. I wanted to get it over and done with by August 6th so I can at least have one month of summer left before senior year to enjoy myself a little bit. I'm trying to get all the content review done but I'm slightly off on schedule. I wanted to have finished all that is content by June 6th but I'm only about 2/3 done. SO I'm hoping I can speed up my work this week and hopefully be done everything content wise by this weekend so that next week can be a review week and then I can start FLs the following weekend. I want at least a couple of months of FLs but mind you that I work full time, so for someone who's studying full-time, they may need less time. So it's up to you. I think you should focus firstly on finishing content as that is probably the longest and most tedious studying phase and after that, you can judge how good you are at problem solving and how much more time you need.

Good luck!:)

I hope you're not too bummed out about the beer thing either. lol

Well, thought I would post here since I just signed up for the test. My second time around so this is it.

Hey Norah! Well, It's always good to allow yourself as much time as you need. I wanted to get it over and done with by August 6th so I can at least have one month of summer left before senior year to enjoy myself a little bit. I'm trying to get all the content review done but I'm slightly off on schedule. I wanted to have finished all that is content by June 6th but I'm only about 2/3 done. SO I'm hoping I can speed up my work this week and hopefully be done everything content wise by this weekend so that next week can be a review week and then I can start FLs the following weekend. I want at least a couple of months of FLs but mind you that I work full time, so for someone who's studying full-time, they may need less time. So it's up to you. I think you should focus firstly on finishing content as that is probably the longest and most tedious studying phase and after that, you can judge how good you are at problem solving and how much more time you need.

Good luck!:)

I hope you're not too bummed out about the beer thing either. lol
ok thank you for the advice bc i also have not finished the material i am scheduled to finish it nxt week so hopefully i stick to my crazy schedule but i do not work so its ok not that bad thank you for the advice and good luck to you as well. :)

oh yeah i forgot to say i am going to be a senior nxt year as well and i agree with you on the whole break idea i want to relax a little especially that my classes start on the 24 of August ughhhh its sucks but i gtg BAck to studying good luck to you :)

Just signed up. Took 5/2 but got a 8PS 12VR 10BS. I don't think I can force myself to start studying this week, but maybe next. Any Philly takers here?

Hey all, another 8/6/09er here. This will be my third time taking the test -

First time was 7/18/08, really didn't study because I was busy taking orgo and lab over the summer and hadn't even finished all the prereqs when I took the test... needless to say I ended up with a 7/10/6/N - 23N

The second time I took it was 1/31/09, studied 250+ hours using EK Home Study (no Kaplan or alternative class was offered here where I am). Met my goal of achieving at least 8 or better in all sections, but went down in verbal, ending up with 8/9/8/O - 25O. Good enough to get me two interviews for MD for Fall 2009, one of which had ended up in being wait listed (where I still am as I type). I did get accepted to three Caribbean schools but decided to defer the acceptance for a year and reapply to US schools for Fall 2010.

So, I'm taking it a third time, on the same day as you fine folks, and this time around there is a Kaplan course offered in my area. Unfortunately today I went in to take my diagnostic and scored a 19 :( so needless to say, I am feeling more than discouraged.

I look forward to helping eachother stay motivated on this thread throughout the summer. :love:

Hey all, another 8/6/09er here. This will be my third time taking the test -

First time was 7/18/08, really didn't study because I was busy taking orgo and lab over the summer and hadn't even finished all the prereqs when I took the test... needless to say I ended up with a 7/10/6/N - 23N

The second time I took it was 1/31/09, studied 250+ hours using EK Home Study (no Kaplan or alternative class was offered here where I am). Met my goal of achieving at least 8 or better in all sections, but went down in verbal, ending up with 8/9/8/O - 25O. Good enough to get me two interviews for MD for Fall 2009, one of which had ended up in being wait listed (where I still am as I type). I did get accepted to three Caribbean schools but decided to defer the acceptance for a year and reapply to US schools for Fall 2010.

So, I'm taking it a third time, on the same day as you fine folks, and this time around there is a Kaplan course offered in my area. Unfortunately today I went in to take my diagnostic and scored a 19 :( so needless to say, I am feeling more than discouraged.

I look forward to helping eachother stay motivated on this thread throughout the summer. :love:

Diagnostic tests are pure bull****. You're going to do fine, put the work in and keep the confidence high. I scored a 19 on a Kaplan diagnostic, mainly because it was at 7:00 at night after a full day of classes starting at 8AM and then three hour lab practical exam right before the diagnostic... but still, I wound up scoring 30s in no time in the practice exams...though ended up with a 28 on the real deal. Diagnostics cover such few material and are shorter in general, its a very poor judge of your capabilities. The member here SN2ed has a post about why diagnostics are ****e that people often quote.

Last edited:
Hey Nontradatbeach, first of all congrats on your acceptances and interviews! That's awesome ;) And as for the diagnostic, I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. I mean I scored a 12 on my diagnostic last year with Kaplan :laugh: but I had no idea what the format of the MCAT was, what was going to be on it, I hadn't reviewed any science at all and I wasn't in school for months when I took it cause I was on a COOP work term! So needless to say, I slipped that paper with the results from the diagnostic, far into my binder before anyone else could catch a glimpse at it! But yeah, I ended up with a 25Q on the real deal. I'm re-writting this year, cause I think I messed up PS and VR pretty badly mainly due to nerves which made me screw up my strategy on the day of. Anyways, long story short, diagnostics mean nothing! So I agree with you on that Longshanks!:rolleyes:

Hey I was wondering if you guys were still going to apply this cycle since we will get our scores back so late? Would it be smarter to apply right now and check that box that says that I'm retaking the test, or should I just wait until I get this score back. I scored a 26 the first time around but I know I can score in the 30's. Is it really that important to get in your primarys early? Please let me know what you guys think.

Studying is going ok.
Beer is overrated.
I'm taking it 7/2 but depending on how I fare, I may be joining your group afterwards.
I'm curious as to the response to the previous question from TR med.

TR MED,

You should apply NOW with the MCAT scores you already have. Applying is like getting in line. The earlier you get your primaries in, even if they are put in the hold stack at medical schools, the sooner your application will taken off hold once your new MCAT scores come in.

I know your goal is get over a 30 and depending what your stats are I am sure you could go allopathic. BUT that 26 you have would be competitive for DO schools right now. It would be wise to apply to both DO and MD schools at the same time rather then just doing your AMCAS

If you find out you didnt break a 30, in september, you would be SUPER LATE applying to DO schools by the time you complete your AACOMAS app.

I've known people who have done this...they ended up not getting into MD schools because they never broke a 30 and they were too late to apply to DO so they headed to the carribean instead.

Hey guys! Just checkin' in to see how everyone's doing... hope all of your studying is going well! Has anyone gotten crackin' on those practice exams yet?! I'm planning on starting in the next little while :rolleyes:

TR MED,

You should apply NOW with the MCAT scores you already have. Applying is like getting in line. The earlier you get your primaries in, even if they are put in the hold stack at medical schools, the sooner your application will taken off hold once your new MCAT scores come in.

I know your goal is get over a 30 and depending what your stats are I am sure you could go allopathic. BUT that 26 you have would be competitive for DO schools right now. It would be wise to apply to both DO and MD schools at the same time rather then just doing your AMCAS

If you find out you didnt break a 30, in september, you would be SUPER LATE applying to DO schools by the time you complete your AACOMAS app.

I've known people who have done this...they ended up not getting into MD schools because they never broke a 30 and they were too late to apply to DO so they headed to the carribean instead.

I couldn't agree more. I was in the same position as you last year TR Med. I was filling out secondaries before I even had an MCAT score. It allowed me to space some of the work out in addition to the benefits outlines by fury.

AHHHH!! My test date!! I can't believe it's less than 2 months away :eek: anyone taking it in Bethesda?

Even body else just having a good feeling about test day? lol. How is everyone doing on the AAMC practices? Just took AAMC6 and got a 30, but that was my best one yet...

hi all!! i have two sets of books from the complete kaplan course i took last summer. i NEVER wrote in any of the books and would be willing to part with each set (5 big books, flash cards, and laminates) for $150. pm me if interested.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!! the studying is rough, but worth it when all is said and done!!

Even body else just having a good feeling about test day? lol. How is everyone doing on the AAMC practices? Just took AAMC6 and got a 30, but that was my best one yet...

I think we can all kick this thing in the behind! However, I'm still working on verbal... my treshold seems to be a 7. Always has and so I'm trying to change that... any tips? :idea:

Well, its been fun... but I'm leaving the club guys. Decided to apply next year so retaking in September. Best of luck!! I'm sure you'll all kill it, you've been working hard and deserve it!

Mel, just some advice on verbal: Understand why you made a selection. Go over the answer choices and see why each one is wrong, and what traps/pitfalls may have been set up. Understand why they're wrong, and why one is correct. Be critical of the passages, not for detail, but for discerning the author's argument and how the argument is presented and develops throughout the passage. That and its really just practice practice practice. IMHO. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I'm a re-taker as well. Took the May 22, 2009 exam and scored a 10P/9V/9B - 28 - so here I am. I scored about three points below my average. I'm hoping for something better this time around.

Well, its been fun... but I'm leaving the club guys. Decided to apply next year so retaking in September. Best of luck!! I'm sure you'll all kill it, you've been working hard and deserve it!

Mel, just some advice on verbal: Understand why you made a selection. Go over the answer choices and see why each one is wrong, and what traps/pitfalls may have been set up. Understand why they're wrong, and why one is correct. Be critical of the passages, not for detail, but for discerning the author's argument and how the argument is presented and develops throughout the passage. That and its really just practice practice practice. IMHO. Good luck!

Hey Longshanks! Thanks for your advice in verbal, I will try doing just that. I've also ordered EK yesterday since everyone seems to be recommending it I'm :xf: for that to help out!
It was nice having you in our group! Feel free to drop us a line or two every now and again ;) and good luck with the September date!!!

Hey everyone. I'm a re-taker as well. Took the May 22, 2009 exam and scored a 10P/9V/9B - 28 - so here I am. I scored about three points below my average. I'm hoping for something better this time around.

That's not so bad ... if you could improve by a couple of points, you'd be just fine! Good luck on the studying :) I'm sure you'll do great this time around!

Hello everyone!

This will be my first time writing the MCAT. I'm writing in Toronto on the 6th. Studying has been so depressing while working full-time, but its moving right along. Seem to be struggling with PS, any tips would be greatly appreciated.