The official 08/06/2009 MCAT CLUB!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mellymel09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just noticed that there is no official club for the August 6th MCAT'ers so I've decided to create one! I hope that everyone's studying is coming along great. I'm actually re-doing my MCAT for the second time around (I wrote it last summer for the first time and sadly didn't do as well as I'd hoped). I plan on dedicating this month to content review and then hopefully spending the last two months prior to my exam on practice exams/problems. Has anyone here ever taken the test more than once? If so, did you improve and how did you re-study strategically? Also, by how many points can one expect to realistically improve???

Members don't see this ad.

Haha yeah I do not think my brain even works for anything other than MCAT right now.. Just 1 day of notecards, one day of rest, and one day of taking my aggression out on a terrible test left!! Just took my last AAMC, number 9 and did not do great but I do not think I was really too into it. PS-11, VR-8(missed 9 in a row at some point lol!!), BS-9.. It would be awsome to be able to put your best scores in each section together on test day lol...

haha- supersaturated. so your IP>Ksp? everything reminds me of the MCAT now. i am even quoting random knowledge from the MCAT verbal passages. i totally called someone a French grammar "underuser" (AAMC 8 or 9 VR) the other day and they were like WTF?

the insanity needs to stop. i will be SO glad when this is over!

LOL its so sad i remember that passage. hahaha

maybe the mcat can be that one crystal that will make my all my supersaturated knowledge crystallize and come together . (what?!)

haha- supersaturated. so your IP>Ksp? everything reminds me of the MCAT now. i am even quoting random knowledge from the MCAT verbal passages. i totally called someone a French grammar "underuser" (AAMC 8 or 9 VR) the other day and they were like WTF?

the insanity needs to stop. i will be SO glad when this is over!

HAHA I actually remember that passage too... Oh and I've mentioned at some points that my dreams have been crazayyyyyyyy (intense dreaming and not restful and I learned in a psych class that this is due to fatigue and stress apparently... go figure) but anyhoo I have now moved on to solving problems in my sleep... yup that's right, I woke up this morning to balancing and equation... can't remember if it was redox or whatever but there was some intense balancin' going on :laugh: ...

Mel :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Whose pumped for the bar thursday night? Cause I'm pumped!!! I took AAMC 9 yesterday and I'm taking 10 tomarrow and then I'm relaxing till test day!!!

mellymel09- i completely understand! for some reason i always dream about chemistry. i reviewed grignard reagents one night and literally dreamed about grignard reactions (the same one over and over i think) for 8 hours. ridiculous. hopefully i will never screw any of those up again ;)

as for the bar thursday night- totally, although i have a feeling i'll be looking like a troll. i feel SO gross right now. i have been in the house for weeks, so all personal grooming has been on hold. my hair has been in a permanent ponytail and i'm not sure i even remember what pants without a drawstring feel like!! i will also need to do some serious post-MCAT tweezing/waxing/shaving before i can move about in the general population again!

normal life. omg. i cant wait to re-enter the world of the living!

For most hard test during the school year I want my teacher push them back and postpone them, but for this test I am way to anxious I want to take it right now!

mellymel09- i completely understand! for some reason i always dream about chemistry. i reviewed grignard reagents one night and literally dreamed about grignard reactions (the same one over and over i think) for 8 hours. ridiculous. hopefully i will never screw any of those up again ;)

as for the bar thursday night- totally, although i have a feeling i'll be looking like a troll. i feel SO gross right now. i have been in the house for weeks, so all personal grooming has been on hold. my hair has been in a permanent ponytail and i'm not sure i even remember what pants without a drawstring feel like!! i will also need to do some serious post-MCAT tweezing/waxing/shaving before i can move about in the general population again!

normal life. omg. i cant wait to re-enter the world of the living!

Haha dukejen04 I totally understand what you're going through!!!! I'm in the EXACT same boat... I've put everything on hold... sooooo much laundry to do.... I have no more normal clothes... if I absolutely HAD to leave the house (e.g. do a practice exam) I think I may have improvised a couple of times on what to wear! :laugh: Hahaha only a few days and normal life hereeeeeeeeeee we come!!!!

PS the dreaming continued this night as well... only I can't even remember exactly what I was working on... I have a feeling the problem contained chem as well as bio... lol

PPS what is everyone doing the day before (e.g. tomorrow)??? I have a feeling I may want to lightly review a few formulas and stuff only cause I think I would feel too guilty if I did nothing... what does everyone recommend????? lol I feel like I should start a poll or something!

Mel:luck:

im on a break from AAMC 10 right now...

I'm watching SHARK WEEK all tomarrow and wont do anything besides some light revewing...back to the test

PPS what is everyone doing the day before (e.g. tomorrow)??? I have a feeling I may want to lightly review a few formulas and stuff only cause I think I would feel too guilty if I did nothing... what does everyone recommend????? lol I feel like I should start a poll or something!

Mel:luck:[/QUOTE]

I have it in my head that I am doing nothing involving the MCAT, however I am sure the guilt will drive me towards those darn Kaplan books or my notes. All I can say is that I have never looked forward to a test more then this. My day before actives are interesting:

1) Go to a funeral to support a member of my fire company
2) fix the plumbing in my parents house
3) get my hair, that I have let grow into a nasty mess over the last two months while studying, cut
4) watch as many episodes of Entourage as possible
5) get to bed crazy early

Good luck to everyone!

I did my last bits of light review today. I want to be hungry for the test rather than bored from staring at too much review. Tomorrow I'm watching my daughter all day and getting to bed early.

Anyone using TPR Hyperlearning Course?

I have gotten very consistent scores, with PS/BS totaling over 25, yet verbal ranging from 6-8. Does anyone else think that these tests (specifically, verbal) are harder than the AAMC tests?

Anyone using TPR Hyperlearning Course?

I have gotten very consistent scores, with PS/BS totaling over 25, yet verbal ranging from 6-8. Does anyone else think that these tests (specifically, verbal) are harder than the AAMC tests?

idk if it helps that i'm on the same boat as you. TPR makes me feel like i'm ESL.

i do consistently better on AMC and EK. like 3 points better.

i got a 9 for the first time ever on AAMC 9 verbal today. FML

hey guys, i took the 7/2/09 test and got my score back

for all of those people that are taking practice tests and not hitting a 30+ score. my aamc practice tests were 25-28. i hit a 32 ONCE. but on my last practice test before my mcat, i got a 26.

i took the real mcat and got a 30... 10s across the board.

IT IS POSSIBLE, DON'T GIVE UP!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

for all of those people that are taking practice tests and not hitting a 30+ score. my aamc practice tests were 25-28. i hit a 32 ONCE. but on my last practice test before my mcat, i got a 26.

Congrats to you and thanks for posting. That actually gives me a lot of hope. I have similar scores on practice tests with my best combined score being a 33. :xf:

WOW thank you so much for that! the same thing has totally happened to me too, and i reached my highest score yesterday (AAMC 7 - scored a 32). the others i was scoring as low as a 27 to a 29.

i totally chickened out of the july 18th exam, and pushed it to tomorrow. i'm feeling a LOT better about it. this is my third time taking it, and i really feel that my potential for getting an admission this year is really riding on this test.

:luck: best of luck to everyone tomorrow! :luck:

So nervous. Ready to get this damn thing out of the way. Taking it at noon tomorrow. I took AAMC #9 and got a 36 on it yesterday (14/10/12). Just hope I can perform similarly on the real deal.

I scored the same with a slightly different breakdown. Best of luck to all of us!

just finished AAMC 10 with a 13/13/13... *sigh* I can only dream that tomorrow goes that well.

Has anyone else practiced random WS prompts? I'm just wondering what WC we should be aiming for...PR says 600-700, but that seems like a lot to me (?)

Anyone else finding it extremely hard to not study today? lol.. I have taken their advise up to this point, but I am just sitting here feeling quilty about not studying... AHHH I can not wait until this time tomorrow!!!! Good luck everyone! Hope everyone gets the score they have been working for!

best of luck everyone! it is time to KILL this thing!!! i know i know the stuff, so now my goal is to stay calm and collected so i can think clearly. i feel like that is the key.

i'm just thinking, by this time tomorrow i will be done and hopefully intoxicated :)

go get 'em tigers!!

Good luck. Don't freak out initially if its way harder than the practice tests- the curve will make up for that (at least that is what I tell myself so I can sleep this month LOL!!)

So, I just came back from the testing center where the computer system wasn't working and now I have to reschedule for the 14th. Ah, I'm so pissed off right now that I have to study for another week. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. Good luck to everyone taking this test, I wish I could join you.

So, I just came back from the testing center where the computer system wasn't working and now I have to reschedule for the 14th. Ah, I'm so pissed off right now that I have to study for another week. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. Good luck to everyone taking this test, I wish I could join you.

Dude, that is rough! I'm sorry to hear about that.

Good luck to everyone else! Hope it went smoothly.

Alright, I just got back.

I thought PS was tougher than any of the AAMCs (obviously) but, I felt really terrible after this one.

VR was ok...a couple tough passages may have killed me

BS was rediculously easy. I felt like I knew every answer and had almost 20 minutes left to review everything. 2 organic passages and lots of genetics

Alright, I just got back.

I thought PS was tougher than any of the AAMCs (obviously) but, I felt really terrible after this one.

VR was ok...a couple tough passages may have killed me

BS was rediculously easy. I felt like I knew every answer and had almost 20 minutes left to review everything. 2 organic passages and lots of genetics

This is the test I hope for. I know it sounds bad, b/c no one wants really hard tests, but PS is my best section typically, so if it's really hard I'd just hope for a good curve and if I did mess it up, hopefully I'd still pull 10+.

Of course, I think we all need to pray for an easy VB.

And if BS (orgo kills me!) was easy, I think I'd get above my usual avg -- thereby increasing my score the most.

I dunno tho, it's hard to take a big blow on PS and feel horrible about it, b/c then, psychologically, it messes you up for the rest of the test.

What does an idiot do on the verbal section? Spend 12 minutes on each passage for the first 3 then end up spending 3 minutes on each for the last 2.

Guessed completely blinded on one whole passage with numerous guesses everywhere in the rest of the sections.

I have no idea what happened in this section. Wasn't sure if the AAMC passages were just longer than what I was used to or if I was just reading too slow (most definitely was).

PS and BS was do-able. Powered my way through the test with a break between VR & WS to pee and drink a 5 hour energy shot.

Second person out of the test.

Didn't void though. I decided to score it since I'm banking on blind luck and blessing my Jesus Christ and the Lord himself to get through on the verbal section. If not, then looks like it's time for me to pick up some books and learn how to read.

SS3:luck:

After being allowed to move to todays exam since my daughter was sick due to a free spot that someone cancelled.. I wish i hadn't..OMG the PS was hard! The verbal was a bit longer , I think, I didn't get chance to review any marked and I usually have lot of time , its my best section so Supersaiyen. The BS seemed to easy,I hope i didn't second guess myself cuz I kept on thinking, it can't be this easy...either way I think i may sign up for another time..i really felt lost and like I was guessing on PS...

Did no one take this test, or is everyone just out drinking already? ... or perhaps just pacific time zone peeps like me.

EDIT:

Just thought I'd write what my friend who took the test told me. She said the PS was hard. Like 50/50 b/t Chem and Phys and weird questions on PS on off topics like drag, etc. Though she said the easy ones were really easy, and the equation knowledge needed was close to nil. Oh, and timing was an issue more than usual.

VB: She there were a couple passages on VB that were really hard, but I asked about length and she seemed to think they were shorter than on the AAMCs (like 4 paragraphs).

BS: She said it was really hard. She had 3 orgo passages (tho she's really good at orgo, tho said one passage was impossible), and only like one genetics question on color blindness. Also time, which was never an issue before, was. I think she said she had to guess on the last question b/c time ran out. Oh, and she mentioned there was no one question on the kidneys, hormones, etc. None of the "MCAT favorites" kaplan preaches.

But you guys seemed to think the BS was easy, so who knows.

Last edited:
Did no one take this test, or is everyone just out drinking already? ... or perhaps just pacific time zone peeps like me.

I've already been to the bar haha...relaxing until tonight now

They let me start at 11:30 and I was out by 4 since I only spent 30 minutes on the essays.

EDIT:

Just thought I'd write what my friend who took the test told me. She said the PS was hard. Like 50/50 b/t Chem and Phys and weird questions on PS on off topics like drag, etc. Though she said the easy ones were really easy, and the equation knowledge needed was close to nil. Oh, and timing was an issue more than usual.

VB: She there were a couple passages on VB that were really hard, but I asked about length and she seemed to think they were shorter than on the AAMCs (like 4 paragraphs).

BS: She said it was really hard. She had 3 orgo passages (tho she's really good at orgo, tho said one passage was impossible), and only like one genetics question on color blindness. Also time, which was never an issue before, was. I think she said she had to guess on the last question b/c time ran out. Oh, and she mentioned there was no one question on the kidneys, hormones, etc. None of the "MCAT favorites" kaplan preaches.

But you guys seemed to think the BS was easy, so who knows.

There were 3 orgo passages I guess. 1 was more like biochem though, on protein structure etc. But I had an entire passage on vectors and some more discretes on genetics, + transcription and translation etc etc so I thought there were a lot of genetics. There was nothing on kidneys or hormones, very little physiology. And I agree that you really didn't need many formulas at all.

I thought Bio was ridiculously hard. I can't believe you guys thought it was easy. Please PM me if you want to talk about it.

It was all a blur... blahhh... Thank goodness its all over...

Projected- PS: 6 VR: 13 BS: 9, sure will be a nice "even" distribution lol

yeah it was a blur for me too. It was absolutely nothing like taking a practice test. I felt like I couldnt think as well but I am the opposite of everyone else. I thought PS was doable and bio was HARD so much orgo/biochem. The PS i think was hard for everyone because the passages were so convoluted and time consuming 3/7 of the passages had nothing to do with the questions... ridiculous.

Yea, I thought there was a little too much molecular genetics on this. Definitely more than I expected. There were 2 (?) passages on that stuff...introns, exons, :eek:

Ok so I hope it makes everyone feel better that I found PS and BS a lot harder than the AAMCs mainly cause PS had many subjects that were not the typical "MCAT" favourites and kind of far-fetched... and BS was strongly focused on genetics... but the questions were put into a "twisted logic" requiring type of reasonning and so it made it quite harder than it probably is... I hope the curve will make up for it!

This next month is going to be painful... just waiting. Nothing to do but wait...

Good luck to all you test-takers out there who haven't tackled the beast yet!!! Remember to study typical as well as atypical things... This BS for instance required very little memorization, it was mostly understanding of the passages and a general understanding of genetics and experimentation.

Mel:luck:

Ouch! My brain hurts!

Overall, I thought it was more difficult than the AAMC practice exams, but still do-able. PS was the hardest. Usually I find the discreets really easy on both sections, but they were trickier for some reason...hmmm.... now comes a month of nauseous anticipation

So, the general trend seems to be that tests have been harder this summer, but people's scores don't seem to be any lower...anyone following me on this, or is it just wishful thinking?

i think thats just wishful thinking but then again im so pessimistic when it comes to curves so dont listen to me...i was very optomistic the entire test though.

PS - harder than usual. the practice tests are not very reflective...dont know what else to say...i hope they curve appropriatley

VR - i think it was easier..the last passages (which i do first) seemed to be easy....but then i start to lose track of time and so on the last passage i did i had to rush and only answered 2/5 correctly for sure...but that doesnt matter because if i felt 3-4 of the passages were very good for me than a few wrong doesnt matter

BS - easy i think... i had to skip 1 or 2 questions ...just randomly guessed because i saw that time was running out and the passage i had read was so convulted that i wouldnt get the question right anyways lol

overall heres the major problem
the practice test need to become harder...have weird topics...and reflect the real test most importantly lol

oh and one more thing...one thing i did notice is that i would freak out like OMG i have 18 minutes and 2 passages left and the discretes but then i would see that there were only like 2-3 discretes...even though the practice tests did vary in the amount of discretes when they were presented (POORLY WORDED I KNOW THE NUMBER OF DISCRETES ARE CONSTANT...but like they are split up into 3 sections....and sometimes you can have like 2, 2, 5...get what i mean....thats just an example there are not 9 discretes I KNOW lol) usually the practice tests had a decent amount of discretes in the end so i was a little annoyed on that....then again i might not have been thinking about all of the practice tests i took so i could be wrong

Last edited: