The official 08/25/2009 mcat club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pakipremed786

talks to birds
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello?

Members don't see this ad.

my science passages and verbal passages are mostly different from everyone elses... I'll usually have 4 from one persons list, and then like 3 from another. I don't remember all my passages, but its so weird. How do they figure out the curve with everyone taking different tests with half from one type of exam, half from another, etc... plus the experimentals might be ones we tried hard to answer for no reason!... ughh.. i just want my grade so i know if i have to retake...

im already checking THX 3 days after i took it :p

Here are my Bio Passages:

1) Alzheimer's Disease
2) Neurons Dividing and Mice
3) Edema and Plasma
4) RNA's
5) Crazy Orgo Passage about Dissociation of Iron in Bacteria
6) Biochemistry Orgo Passage
7) Orgo Passage with Synthetic Scheme

I can't believe I had 3 Orgo Passages. Haha, I love Orgo but the Bacteria Passage was so freakin hard.

Alex, I had the same problem. I had like 3 minutes left and knew I couldn't read the passage in that amount of time, so I just guessed all Cs. Did you find this VR was tougher than the practice AAMCs?

Yeah. Way more. If you did VR sequentially, as most people do, as I did, there seemed to be no break of an easy passage in between. So stamina wise, I was burned and lost a lot of time running through the answer choices. It was not helped either by these ridiculous choices like for ex. "It is true when, or it may be true in some cases or it is false but not that false"- BS (not Biological Sciences, the other BS) like that really makes you wonder what they are testing here. You got the right attitude to pick the same letter and mark them. You can get lucky on VR for sure. I had that Examkrackers 101 passages book and I ran out of time on a lot of the VR exams, marking in the last passage like I did in this one. Usually I'd get at least 2 out of 5 right consistently and sometimes 3 or 4. So you can get lucky.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't do mine sequentially. Kept the humanities passages till the end. I don't score well on those anyways. It is so bad when you have like 4 minutes left to read and answer a passages. Even 5 minutes would have been better, at least I could have read the passage fully and answered a question or two properly. Worst part was that this is the first time I ran out of time on VR, so I had no experience with that kind of situation. God, I felt so bad I didn't even want to go back and finish the test. Anyhow, I am re-writing mine because I need atleast a 10 on that section.

Does anyone know if there are experimental passages on every test? Some of the VR was tough on this one I thought...just a lot of ambiguous answer choices (even moreso than usual). PS and BS weren't incredibly difficult as a whole but definitely had some tough questions as well.

The wait is definitely a little hard - just feel kind of uncertain overall. Good luck to everyone!

should I say "already has been a week" or "only has been a week"? I hope you guys are doing well. I'm very anxious to obtain the test result. I guess I feel that way because I never got that "I totally destroyed it" or "I totally bombed it" feeling when I left the test center.

What are you guys doing to keep your mind off the test score?

Yeah that was whack. I mentioned my grievance with that earlier when they asked in so and so fashion: a) True but not so true b) False but not so false c) Neither but could be one d) None. I mean it just drove me crazy. I doubt they are experimental but it will be reflected in the curve. I'm guessing a huge curve for VR.

However, if you read the MCAT section on the AAMC website, it says that the test is NOT curved per administration:

"The percentile provided on your score report simply indicates what percentage of examinees from the previous testing year scored the same as you did on the MCAT exam. How you score on the MCAT exam, therefore, is not reflective of the particular exam you took—including the time of day, the test date, or the time of year—since any difference in difficulty level is accounted for when calculating your scale scores"..

My fear then is... no huge curve for VR...??? :confused:

All that means is the percentile will be last years... but the curve is still based on how hard THEY think the section was...

if AAMC deems 10 wrong is still a 10... so be it... we are at the mercy of them...

on a side note.. I WANT MY GRADE!

So why is our case so different? We get our scores on the 29th which is bizarre cus it usually takes 30 days not 34 days to get the scores back. This waiting game sucks!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Check the AAMC website. Under MCAT, there is a section called Test Score Release Dates. It says about September 29, but I received my score one day early for the July 2 test.

By the way, I have been checking the 7/30/09 MCAT thread out pure masochism and it seems that test was kinda rough... VR especially... The same for 7/31/09..They just got their scores a couple of hours ago..

I need to chill now..getting anxious as F****

:confused:
By the way, I have been checking the 7/30/09 MCAT thread out pure masochism and it seems that test was kinda rough... VR especially... The same for 7/31/09..They just got their scores a couple of hours ago..

I need to chill now..getting anxious as F****
I'm right there with ya man...it did look pretty bad...hope its better for us..it sure is funny how the test date can really fluctuate the overall results....

I really hope the scale isn't too rough on ours (on PS and BS as well as VR). What do you guys think? It seemed a little harder than AAMC (esp verbal, and some of the orgo and a few confusing PS passages), so hopefully the scale will be a little more generous than the practice tests. Really feel like I have no idea how I did...the practice tests were going well, but since we got to see our "scores" immediately there's no way to compare post-test feelings. Oh well...I guess we'll just have to wait to see.

I thought it was harder than AAMC, but thats the norm for the real deal. The first time i took the test was back in april of 2007, and I wasnt prepared for it (i was currently in Ochem 1). For that test, I felt like I did fine but ended up with <30. For this test, I didnt feel too great, but I was very prepared for it. It seems like the worse I feel about a test, the better I end up doing. So I hope this theory pans out for me.

ugh... i didnt sleep the night before this test... so i'm FREAKING out that it affected my verbal... and i MEAN NO SLEEP

i remember someone in here had the same problem and he ended up not taking it...
well, i DID! i hope that wasn't a bad idea :(

college football starts tonight. It makes this whole waiting thing easier I guess.

yeah, I agree. VERBAL sucks. I wish they could switch the weight of verbal w/ writing. haha. my only wish.

Let's play a game called predict your MCAT score.

I averaged 32 on the AAMC, but I felt really good after I took the exam so maybe I got higher than a 32. I won't really know until I get my scores back, of course.

Nevertheless, I predict my score to be between 32 and 37. My goal was 35, so if I do better than that, I'd love it. I'd be satisfied with a 32-34ish score too.

Prediction - 13/10/12 - 35Q

AAMC average - 36.3

I felt pretty good coming out of that test.

Anything less than 30 and I'll retake, anything greater than 35 and I'll stick with that score. The 30-35 region if kind of iffy right now. Not sure what I'll do with a score between there.

Prediction - 13/10/12 - 35Q

AAMC average - 36.3

I felt pretty good coming out of that test.

Anything less than 30 and I'll retake, anything greater than 35 and I'll stick with that score. The 30-35 region if kind of iffy right now. Not sure what I'll do with a score between there.

Man, I'm so jealous. I did not feel good or bad coming out of the test on Aug 25th. Does this mean I'm in trouble? I guess that's why this whole waiting drives me crazy. Am I the only one who really did not feel either way coming out of the test?

Does anyone remember what amino acids there were in the passage on biochemistry? I think I remember Leucine....What were the other ones? :)

Does anyone remember what amino acids there were in the passage on biochemistry? I think I remember Leucine....What were the other ones? :)

:nono:Spice... don't do that... you're gonna get kicked. Big rule here is nothing specific to the exam can be discussed...
on a more important note tho...

:cry:I want my score baaccckk... WAAAAAAAH!!...

Man, I'm so jealous. I did not feel good or bad coming out of the test on Aug 25th. Does this mean I'm in trouble? I guess that's why this whole waiting drives me crazy. Am I the only one who really did not feel either way coming out of the test?

Yes, I also feel the same way.. for physical and bio I just dont knw how I feel but for verbal I do feel tht I did horrible but still praying so I dont have to retake!

I was averaging 34 on my practice exams, i did all of the AAMC and 3 Kaplans and I also factored in my diagnostic. My average for the last 5 exams before the MCAT was a 36.

I felt pretty bad about that test. So my prediction is anywhere from 25-40. I doubt my prediction will be wrong!:cool:

I was averaging 34 on my practice exams, i did all of the AAMC and 3 Kaplans and I also factored in my diagnostic. My average for the last 5 exams before the MCAT was a 36.

I felt pretty bad about that test. So my prediction is anywhere from 25-40. I doubt my prediction will be wrong!:cool:

September 29th... Forbes gets 41!

lol. My average was around 38.. scoring from 36 to 42s on all the AAMcs and 3 kaplans... Only problem was, I went down toward the end, and didnt sleep the night before the exam. I possibly foresee high science scores for me... and a BOMBED verbal:eek:

If your average was a 36...why then would you be worried about the test? You probably did good. Leave the worrying to some other people that never broke the 35 mark in the practice tests.

If your average was a 36...why then would you be worried about the test? You probably did good. Leave the worrying to some other people that never broke the 35 mark in the practice tests.

I worry because it is a very scary exam, and as I have seen practice test scores are not indicative of real performance sometimes. We will see I guess.

lol. My average was around 38.. scoring from 36 to 42s on all the AAMcs and 3 kaplans... Only problem was, I went down toward the end, and didnt sleep the night before the exam. I possibly foresee high science scores for me... and a BOMBED verbal:eek:

I think we are both too worried, but I guess it's the only way I know how to do things? Haha, I did take a break during syllabus week. Oh verbal is a total crapshoot.

Last edited:
Only 23 more days......

I hope I don't have any tests/quizzes/assignments in the few days around the 29th. I won't be able to focus.

im freaking out about my score! i really think i bombed verbal haha. at about 30 mins in the vr section, i had a mini panic attack, right in the middle of that STUPID oil painting passage....

UGH, im praying for about 20 verbal questions correct equals 9 LOL

:scared:

im freaking out about my score! i really think i bombed verbal haha. at about 30 mins in the vr section, i had a mini panic attack, right in the middle of that STUPID oil painting passage....

UGH, im praying for about 20 verbal questions correct equals 9 LOL

:scared:

VR should have a nice curve (but i think PS will be especially harsh). I started with the irish passage, then the freakin oil painting and frankly i thought the oil painting passage was the second hardest. I unfortunately forgot about how things get curved and pretty much gave up after/during VR.....almost went home. No wonder BS seemed easy.....i dont think i cared anymore. Anyway just wanted to say those 7 passages were the hardest group of 7 i ever seen and i did all of TPR and Ek!!

On the bright side i have no urge whatsoever to see my score. I don't think i'll even look at it until i send in my apps. Maybe that makes me the only person who is not on pins and needles waiting? hmmm....

but i think PS will be especially harsh

Why do you think so?

I also felt that on the whole PS was a lot less tougher than what I expected from practice tests. However, like many others here, I felt the x-ray and thermal radiation passages were hard enough.... Two difficult/confusing passages are all it takes to turn an otherwise easy test into, well, an MCAT with a more "standard" distribution ... maybe.

Or perhaps those passages weren't that hard for most people :SSSS ... oh well.

Best of luck, everyone!

Why do you think so?

I also felt that on the whole PS was a lot less tougher than what I expected from practice tests. However, like many others here, I felt the x-ray and thermal radiation passages were hard enough.... Two difficult/confusing passages are all it takes to turn an otherwise easy test into, well, an MCAT with a more "standard" distribution ... maybe.

Or perhaps those passages weren't that hard for most people :SSSS ... oh well.

Best of luck, everyone!

true enough. perhaps "especially harsh" was an overstatement in light of me remembering those two passages (and i did not find them easy). My comment was just based on what i read on this thread. But you are right, two tough passages could make it a normal mcat. who knows really. I think with me, b/c i found VR sooo tough, everything else didnt seem as bad but alas, it likely was. Great....

I'd pay the cost of another MCAT just to get my scores right now.

I'd pay for my score to "get lost" in the system somehow and they'd have to give me a retake. I'd pay significant amounts of loot for that

I'd pay for my score to "get lost" in the system somehow and they'd have to give me a retake. I'd pay significant amounts of loot for that
Then why didn't you void!... dude im so scared :( like i did so well on practice exams... wasted my whole summer... I know I shouldn't have taken it on no sleep... i Should have just rescheduled to a later one... AAAAAHHHHH PLZ god just give me a 10 on verbal

Then why didn't you void!... dude im so scared :( like i did so well on practice exams... wasted my whole summer... I know I shouldn't have taken it on no sleep... i Should have just rescheduled to a later one... AAAAAHHHHH PLZ god just give me a 10 on verbal

First of all, I didnt void cause it was my first attempt and i dont see a reason to void unless you didnt finish a section. I wanted a baseline MCAT score. I did fine I think on 3/4 sections as well. Also, unlike you, i did get some sleep. A better question would be why didn't you void considering your whining.

Secondly, from what i recall, i remember you saying something like your practice scores were 35+ or even much higher. So stop being one of those whiny people who end up killing it regardless. I don't beleive I'm the first person to tell you this. I mean listen to you, your begging for a 10 on verbal and that's cause you think you did badly. For some people, a 10 would be a dream come true. You should watch what you say on these forums - well if you have some class you should.

I hear ya sv3, some of those VR passages were unreal. It didn't help I answered them in order with the Irish play being first ... ugh!
What did you think about BS, btw? I'm grateful I didn't have the infamous Iron and Bacteria passage. I was expecting less organic, though. Haha, i recall a random UV spec question that caught me off-guard.

First of all, I didnt void cause it was my first attempt and i dont see a reason to void unless you didnt finish a section. I wanted a baseline MCAT score. I did fine I think on 3/4 sections as well. Also, unlike you, i did get some sleep. A better question would be why didn't you void considering your whining.

Secondly, from what i recall, i remember you saying something like your practice scores were 35+ or even much higher. So stop being one of those whiny people who end up killing it regardless. I don't beleive I'm the first person to tell you this. I mean listen to you, your begging for a 10 on verbal and that's cause you think you did badly. For some people, a 10 would be a dream come true. You should watch what you say on these forums - well if you have some class you should.

wow dude... that was brutal....

wow dude... that was brutal....

come on man. You know you get way to anxious about this stuff with no reason really. Plus you asked me why i didnt void and in the same message talked about how you shouldn't have taken it.........you had to know you'd get called out on that.

Let's make a deal: you score 3 pts less than your AAMC avg and you can make a thread about how I'm an idiot and i will only agree - heck i'd start the thread. And if you score within 2 or do better, you make a thread apologizing for being a dolt........what do you say?

Btw, I know you're not the only one who does this. But you just happen to be the one to reply to my post.....