The OFFICIAL 2009 Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smeevil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Texas Woman's University Counseling Psychology Ph.D. Program
I was accepted for this program today via phone on 2/2. I received a voicemail from them on 1/30 with a generic "call me back" kinda voicemail. I returned it today and they said I was accepted.

They don't do interviews, but there is an open house on 3/6.

Yeah!!! At least I know I'll be going somewhere!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for starting the thread!!! i hope to be posting here soon!!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign's Clinical program today via phone call from POI! Yay!

I was accepted to the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign's Clinical program today via phone call from POI! Yay!

OMG!!! :eek: Congrats!!!!! I bet it will be awesome to go to inerviews knowing you already have a spot guaranteed somewhere!!!!

Accepted to U of Kentucky a few days ago. It definitely takes the edge off the interviews.

Congrats.

I feel strange seeing people already getting accepted ._.

OMG!!! :eek: Congrats!!!!! I bet it will be awesome to go to inerviews knowing you already have a spot guaranteed somewhere!!!!

oh my goodness you have no idea!!! last year i had one interview out of my 7 apps so it was be all end all and it ended all. this year maybe i can be myself. thanks!

Congrats to everyone! Please remember the APA guidelines for accepting an offer...

1. As soon as you have two offers, decide which is the better one for you and politely refuse the other.
2. Repeat this comparison and decision as you receive each new offer.
3. Terminate the process as soon as you get a satisfactory offer from the school you prefer. Accept that offer verbally and in writing and advise the other schools of your decision. They will appreciate your thoughtfulness in opening the way for another student.
4. On occasion you may be pressured to accept an offer before April 15. In the event that you have accepted such an offer, you should be fully aware that you have the right to resign the original acceptance before April 15 to take an alternative offer.
5. When you have voluntarily accepted an appointment, even prior to the April 15 date, do not take your obligation lightly. You are committed to that acceptance. Attempts to be released from an agreement may spoil your reputation with all of the institutions involved and with your sponsors.

Accepted to U of Kentucky a few days ago. It definitely takes the edge off the interviews.

A few days ago? It's Tuesday -- weren't the interviews just last week? When did you find out? So fast!

A few days ago? It's Tuesday -- weren't the interviews just last week? When did you find out? So fast!

I got accepted too, and I found out Monday morning. Interviews were on Friday, and they told us we'd know by the beginning of this week. Another school I have an interview at has also mentioned it will make decisions immediately afterward. I think usually there's not much of a wait, unless there are multiple interview dates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone! Please remember the APA guidelines for accepting an offer...

1. As soon as you have two offers, decide which is the better one for you and politely refuse the other.
2. Repeat this comparison and decision as you receive each new offer.
3. Terminate the process as soon as you get a satisfactory offer from the school you prefer. Accept that offer verbally and in writing and advise the other schools of your decision. They will appreciate your thoughtfulness in opening the way for another student.
4. On occasion you may be pressured to accept an offer before April 15. In the event that you have accepted such an offer, you should be fully aware that you have the right to resign the original acceptance before April 15 to take an alternative offer.
5. When you have voluntarily accepted an appointment, even prior to the April 15 date, do not take your obligation lightly. You are committed to that acceptance. Attempts to be released from an agreement may spoil your reputation with all of the institutions involved and with your sponsors.

Wouldn't it be handy to have similar ethical guidelines for the schools to follow? e.g.,
1. If you have GRE/GPA cut-offs, publish them in advance to avoid fruitless (expensive) applications.
1a. If a candidate applies who does not meet your cut-off, your application system should reject the application without accepting payment.
1b. If you allow exceptions to your cut-off scores, you should make that clear as well and, to the extent feasible, warn candidates who do not meet the cut-off.
2. Your decision process should be transparent. Applicants shouldn't have to guess about who is actually making the admissions decision, or when. E.g., if a committee will decide, make that clear. If individual professors decide, make that clear.
2a. Professors should be as clear as possible about whether or not they are accepting new students in the coming year. If the professor knows, it should be on their faculty web page.
2b. If an index of numeric scores is calculated (e.g., a function of GPA, GRE, etc.), that formula and the meaning of the values produced by that formula should be published.
2c. The schedule for interview invitations and decisions should be published in advance and followed.
3. When a decision has been made about a candidate, be it rejection or wait list or interview or acceptance, notify that candidate as soon as is practical. If this means putting someone on a wait list then taking them off when some other candidate drops out, so be it.
4. The statistical profile of applicants, interviewed students and those accepted should be published.

Yes, I realize that there are existing ethical guidelines for the schools as well. But what would the harm be in following these as well?

The problem is that a lot of that isn't possible. It's great in theory, but I'm not sure how it would go in practice.

For instance, most faculty don't know 100% about accepting students until the application process is well underway. And it's not unheard of to get invited for an interview after the supposed time has passed.

1b. If you allow exceptions to your cut-off scores, you should make that clear as well and, to the extent feasible, warn candidates who do not meet the cut-off.

The only problem with this one, is that every school would say they allow exceptions to their cut off scores no matter what, and rake in that extra money.

The only problem with this one, is that every school would say they allow exceptions to their cut off scores no matter what, and rake in that extra money.

I don't think school make a ton of money of application fees. Think about the number of apps they get vs the overall operating budget of a major university-- it's barely a drop in the bucket.

Wouldn't it be handy to have similar ethical guidelines for the schools to follow? e.g.,
1. If you have GRE/GPA cut-offs, publish them in advance to avoid fruitless (expensive) applications.
1a. If a candidate applies who does not meet your cut-off, your application system should reject the application without accepting payment.
2. Your decision process should be transparent. Applicants shouldn't have to guess about who is actually making the admissions decision, or when. E.g., if a committee will decide, make that clear. If individual professors decide, make that clear.
2a. Professors should be as clear as possible about whether or not they are accepting new students in the coming year. If the professor knows, it should be on their faculty web page.
2b. If an index of numeric scores is calculated (e.g., a function of GPA, GRE, etc.), that formula and the meaning of the values produced by that formula should be published.
2c. The schedule for interview invitations and decisions should be published in advance and followed.
3. When a decision has been made about a candidate, be it rejection or wait list or interview or acceptance, notify that candidate as soon as is practical. If this means putting someone on a wait list then taking them off when some other candidate drops out, so be it.
4. The statistical profile of applicants, interviewed students and those accepted should be published.

Yes, I realize that there are existing ethical guidelines for the schools as well. But what would the harm be in following these as well?

I think the disclosure data are very helpful and many schools indicate which faculty members are accepting students on their website. I think its really about being courteous to other applicants as well. To hang on to several acceptances is taking away from another student's opportunity.

I think you have a point about notifying applicants about when the committee meets to make decision or if there is no committee and individual faculty decide. A lot of times we just don't know what's going on. One of my schools never answers the phone so I wasn't even able to check whether my application was ok. I have to trust my organization skills on that one...

I got accepted too, and I found out Monday morning. Interviews were on Friday, and they told us we'd know by the beginning of this week. Another school I have an interview at has also mentioned it will make decisions immediately afterward. I think usually there's not much of a wait, unless there are multiple interview dates.

I found out Monday that I'm a first alternate......argghhh agony. If I could write letters of recommendation for the first choice to other schools, believe me I would. I've never wished so many good things for the competition before....ofers from Yale, Berkley, UCLA, etc. I doubt I'm going to get offers elsewhere so this is kinda it for me. :(

The problem is that a lot of that isn't possible. It's great in theory, but I'm not sure how it would go in practice.

For instance, most faculty don't know 100% about accepting students until the application process is well underway. And it's not unheard of to get invited for an interview after the supposed time has passed.

That's true. But some faculty know 100% that they are not accepting students and don't make that known. Trust me on this one.

And the delayed interview is also true - but wouldn't you like to know what the original date was anyway?

congrats jenni!
I just sent you a PM. :D

Yes, I would definitely like to know the dates! Like everyone else, this process is killing my nerves. :D

Accepted to MSPP this morning via online notification on the MSPP application system. :D

This is such a happy thread. Congrats everyone! :thumbup:

Accepted via phone call last Friday (2/6)

Congratulations!!! When did you interview... I've been sitting on pins and and needles ever since I interviewed there in January! I was told we wouldn't find out until mid-March.

Congratulations!!! When did you interview... I've been sitting on pins and and needles ever since I interviewed there in January! I was told we wouldn't find out until mid-March.

i interviewed in january, but i know they're not done accepting, i think it was very early for them to let anyone know, so i wouldn't lose hope!

Accepted at University of Oregon on Friday.

My first acceptance!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got an email from George Mason!
I am incredibly excited and relieved.
:):D:)

I was accepted at Penn State (child clinical program) on Monday! Hooray!

I just got a call and was accepted by CSOPP! Yeah! So at least I have one option. :)

I just got a call and was accepted by CSOPP! Yeah! So at least I have one option. :)

Me too!

Voice mail left by admissions on 2/11 offering acceptance to the Clinical Psychology PsyD program, Child and Adolescent Track. :D

I was just accepted into DU's Child Clinical Program! Yea!

Vanderbilt --- anyone hear anything from them? didn't they say by the end of the week?

Vanderbilt --- anyone hear anything from them? didn't they say by the end of the week?

my stomach just sank when I first read your post! I haven't heard anything either -- maybe things took a little longer than expected, or they may have meant before Sunday. Let's keep our fingers crossed!! :xf::xf:

Hi, I am applying to counseling psychology PhD program, and I have had my interview today.

I am very reflexive and I am still thinking about my performance. Have you all felt the same way: self critical and wishing you would do better? Or have you had the gut feeling that you would be accepted because of your excellent performance (experience, interests etc) and ability to show your super friendly and motivated personality?

I would appreciate your answers!

Hi, I am applying to counseling psychology PhD program, and I have had my interview today.

I am very reflexive and I am still thinking about my performance. Have you all felt the same way: self critical and wishing you would do better? Or have you had the gut feeling that you would be accepted because of your excellent performance (experience, interests etc) and ability to show your super friendly and motivated personality?

I would appreciate your answers!

Hi!
No worries, I felt exactly like you did after my interviews! In fact, I spent the 4 hour car ride home thinking about every little thing I had said. I think it's pretty normal :)

I've had two interviews thus far. I was accepted on Thursday to the program I interviewed with on Saturday, so I heard in less than a week. However, I had also interviewed with another program on the Monday of that week and still haven't heard anything (but I was in the first interview group). I really think it varies...did they give you any details about when you'll hear at the interview?

best of luck! hopefully you'll be posting good news on here shortly :)

Hi!
No worries, I felt exactly like you did after my interviews! In fact, I spent the 4 hour car ride home thinking about every little thing I had said. I think it's pretty normal
clip_image001.gif

I've had two interviews thus far. I was accepted on Thursday to the program I interviewed with on Saturday, so I heard in less than a week. However, I had also interviewed with another program on the Monday of that week and still haven't heard anything (but I was in the first interview group). I really think it varies...did they give you any details about when you'll hear at the interview?

best of luck! hopefully you'll be posting good news on here shortly
clip_image001.gif

Hi Suerte!
Thanks for your kind words of support! :love:Professors and current students told me and all other applicants that they would chose applicants by their personality traits and their interests which should match theirs. I am confident that 95% of my interests coincide with theirs, and this is what makes this program so special. As to personality traits, I like them all very much, and I think they liked me. But still I am not sure.... I am very worried that I listed too many interests and they would like someone who's interests are more defined:confused:. However, students told me that all of them had broad interests and this is what professors value. Students may join several research teams and varied interests allow them to do this. But, I am still worried, because I am competing with other 45 students for 8 spots. There are 4 interview days, and they will be still interviewing next week. The Training Director told us that everyone would hear from her in 2 weeks after the last interview day. One of the professors also gave me his card telling me to contact him for the feedback. Do you think I should not wait for 2 weeks and contact him sooner than that?

Has anyone heard from UCLA? During the interview weekend, they said they would contact all accepted applicants by the end of the week, and send rejection letters to the rest. I assume yesterday (Friday) was the end of the week, and since I did not hear from them, I should expect a letter. However, I am just curious if anyone here was fortunate enough to receive an acceptance. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks, and good luck all. :luck:

edit: Just received the rejection letter in the mail. :(

Last edited:
Received word last week of acceptance into USC's general track - Clinical PhD!!:cool::D:love::p

Well I just got an almost acceptance to Temple...high alternate! :D

It was a phone call from the Graduate of Clinical Admissions and he made it seem like he had already called the people who received offers.

Let the waiting begin...

Me too!

Voice mail left by admissions on 2/11 offering acceptance to the Clinical Psychology PsyD program, Child and Adolescent Track. :D

I talked to them on the phone last week too and was told I was accepted to the C/A track!

Guys, I have a question to those who have been admitted already. I had my interview (PhD in counseling psychology program) on Friday February 13th (2nd day from 4 days they interview). The training director told us that we would here from her 2 weeks after the last day they interview, so it will be 2 weeks from Friday, February the 20th. Yesterday I sent a thank you note to the training director, and already received a reply from her. She wrote that she was pleased to meet me, and that she would forward my e-mail to other faculty. She also wrote that she would contact me at the end of next week. It means they will take a decision earlier than I thought, and that I will not need to wait for 2 weeks which she mentioned at the interview group meeting...

Do you think that her fast response and a promise to contact me this early means something? Or should I stop overthinking and making groundless assumptions?

Guys, I have a question to those who have been admitted already. I had my interview (PhD in counseling psychology program) on Friday February 13th (2nd day from 4 days they interview). The training director told us that we would here from her 2 weeks after the last day they interview, so it will be 2 weeks from Friday, February the 20th. Yesterday I sent a thank you note to the training director, and already received a reply from her. She wrote that she was pleased to meet me, and that she would forward my e-mail to other faculty. She also wrote that she would contact me at the end of next week. It means they will take a decision earlier than I thought, and that I will not need to wait for 2 weeks which she mentioned at the interview group meeting...

Do you think that her fast response and a promise to contact me this early means something? Or should I stop overthinking and making groundless assumptions?

Overthinking. You have no way of knowing what that means. Just wait and see, the answer will come one way or the other.