The Official 2009 Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can only compare Texas Tech to other schools to which I have applied. I'll compare what I know about their program to UAMS/USA.

Research:
USA and Tech both have research integrated within the curriculum. However, Tech gives you year 3 summer through year four spring to devote 100% of your time to. USA spells out something similar in their curriculum, so I imagine this will be almost identical across the board for the universities that require such research.

Cost of Attendance:
USA charges $194 per credit hour for resident tuition, $388 non-resident, with $551 added per-semester for fees.

UAMS charges $286 per credit hour for residents, $603 for non-residents. All I can find on their site is a $50 dollar lab fee per-semester for Au.D. students.

Texas Tech does not outline their tuition by a credit hour basis, but if you break it down you find that they charge approximately $307.55 for resident tuition and fees (combined) per-credit hour and $599.38 for non-residents.

Texas Tech, comparatively speaking, is expensive.

Texas Tech is in Lubbock. I'd like to live there, but would you? Not much around there...but then, I'm pretty adaptable. I'd just have to spend a lot of time riding my ATV and looking for marmots to hunt.

USA is in Mobile, a small-ish city that is full of younger people with housing prices up 5%...no small feat in this economy that is devastating housing prices in most cities. They have a good job market with mroe opportunities coming everyday with corporations that were in Louisiana re-building and re-locating in the Mobile area. I could go on, but---these are things you have to consider.

Faculty:
Look at their publications, see what their areas of interest and expertise are...I have noticed UAMS has the advantage in this area, with USA a close second.

Also, look at statistics concerning certification exam pass rates and program completion rates. Texas Tech and UAMS both require you maintain a 3.0 / "B" average in order to...well, not get kicked out. This is probably the same throughout.

I think these things covered the major points...is there something I missed? :confused:

Ah, yes--make certain you speak with a student that attends there. ETSU made certain prospective students did this starting day one of receipt of the application package by setting up students with a "running mate" (as the military would call it), but for all other schools I've applied to (a lot) this responsibility falls on the applicant. Don't be afraid to ask for a student liaison, even if it means communicating through e-mail. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can only compare Texas Tech to other schools to which I have applied. I'll compare what I know about their program to UAMS/USA.

Cost of Attendance:
USA charges $194 per credit hour for resident tuition, $388 non-resident, with $551 added per-semester for fees.

I think it said in the acceptance letter something about reclassification from OOS to IS status under certain (unspecified) circumstances...wonder what they mean? That could make a huge difference to some people.

THank you for the input! Downtown Chicago born and bred I'm sure were talking big change!! If anything I'm thinking lots of study time with less distractions.........

Great point about the student liaison (will inquire) The only problem I'm having is it takes 4ever to receive a response when you get one at all......

I did contact them about IS reclassification and was told its only possible after 12 consecutive months of employment; which seems unlikely in the Au.D program. Many programs will allow you to setup a IS domicile status for the following year if you purchase property after you begin the program (not that I could) but not so at TTUHSC.

Still interested in what the sub-par programs are, I even heard that comment from professors when I toured some of these programs. No one is naming names and I can't find anything on which programs one would prefer not attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any evidence to support this, but I was asking our CSD department chair about audiology programs and she said not to go Baylor. I didn't get a specific reason, but it was either something about the quality of the program or how they run things there. If anyone has actual experience with Baylor please feel free to support/contradict me.

Found out today I'm #1 on USA's waitlist...didn't know my position on the list until this morning

Please quote the most recent post- keep these instructions:

1. Add Name of School In Alphabetical Order if not already present, in same
font/color etc... & the method of how you were informed.
2. (Member Name, State Status,Wait List Date, #Position on Wait List... if available)

OFFICIAL WAIT LIST

Northwestern University: snail mail
(gymgrl7, 3/2/09)

Purdue University:
(teejler2112, 2/18/09)

San Diego State University/UCSD: Email
(Purple Fish, IS, 3/10/09, #11), (audiologygirl, OOS, 3/13/09, #16)

University of Iowa:Email
(Purple Fish, OOS, 3/9/09),

University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill: Snail Mail
(hearatic, OOS, 3/9/09)

University of South Alabama: Snail Mail
(teucer, OOS, 4/2/09)

University of Southern Florida: Email
(isis novak, 2/27/09), (gymgrl7, 3/2/09), (hope4thbst)

University of Texas, Austin: Snail Mail
(isis novak, 3/7/09)

University of Washington: Email
(Purple Fish, OOS, 3/3/09), (audiologygirl, IS, 3/3/09), (Letickkles, 3/28/09)

2. (Member Name, State Status,Wait List Date, #Position on Wait List... if available)

OFFICIAL WAIT LIST

(gymgrl7, 3/2/09)

Purdue University:
(teejler2112, 2/18/09)

(Purple Fish, IS, 4/10/09, #1)YAY!!!, (audiologygirl, OOS, 4/10/09, #6)

(hearatic, OOS, 3/9/09)

University of South Alabama: Snail Mail
(teucer, OOS, 4/2/09)

(isis novak, 3/7/09)

;)

Last edited:

OFFICIAL WAIT LIST

(gymgrl7, 3/2/09)

Purdue University:
(teejler2112, 2/18/09)

(hearatic, OOS, 3/9/09)

(isis novak, 3/7/09)

OFFICIAL WAIT LIST

Montclair State University: returned call
(BigAl, 4/27/09)

Northwestern University:
snail mail
(gymgrl7, 3/2/09)

Purdue University:
(teejler2112, 2/18/09)

(hearatic, OOS, 3/9/09)

(isis novak, 3/7/09)

Montclair? Some good stuff. I think at this stage in the game you still have a decent chance of getting in off the waitlist. What number are you?