The world of audiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cydex

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Au.D folks, what can you tell me about the greater audiology world? I've come to the field from outside of health care and have compared notes with others in a similar boat and I would like to cast a wider net here.

I'm in audiology because I want to be. It fascinates me and I am more than a bit bothered that so many others in my class have openly admitted that they are in the program simply because it isn't SLP. Folks, that isn't a good reason.

I'm wondering how widespread that attitude is and if that may contribute to the vibe that I've been getting. I feel very much like an outsider and gazing upon the field from outside of the CSD perspective has shown a trend in personalities and ideals that I am hoping are not industry-wide.

What say you folks?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would like to see programs give students in hard sciences undergraduate majors more slots than com sci or com disorder undergrads. I'm not trying to sound obtuse or anything, but a pre-med Bio degree is a heck of a lot harder course work than any com sci course I've ever had. I felt like when I hit grad school I was light years ahead of my classmates when it come to understanding anatomy, neurology, bio chemistry, physics etc. all related to the science behind our field.

My undergrad is in biology, not CSD. So I don’t see the “at least it’s not slp” attitude. I have conversed with several prospective and current students and they’re in the au.d program because they have the passion for hearing/study of hearing. So I guess to answer your question, no it’s definitely not an attitude seen or heard industry-wide.

I also agree with the above poster. And, I guess this is why Wash U is my first pick. I like that they do not solely desire a CSD undergrad. They like the differences other science degrees can bring to the table.

My undergrad is in biology, not CSD. So I don’t see the “at least it’s not slp” attitude. I have conversed with several prospective and current students and they’re in the au.d program because they have the passion for hearing/study of hearing. So I guess to answer your question, no it’s definitely not an attitude seen or heard industry-wide.

I also agree with the above poster. And, I guess this is why Wash U is my first pick. I like that they do not solely desire a CSD undergrad. They like the differences other science degrees can bring to the table.
correction: Wash U St. Louis