The Official 2011 Au.D Rejection Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigAl

Year III... Still Lost
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has been done in the past years, and its a painful realization, but we all go through it.

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!

1) Click quote on the most recent rejection list.
2) Delete the quote messages at both the top and the bottom.
3) Add the school's name to the title of the post.
4) Find the school of interest on the list. If it is missing, add it in alphabetical order.
5) Add the method of rejection notification if it is not already there (Phone Call, E-mail, Snail Mail, etc)
6) Click submit

Members don't see this ad.

Well glad to see no1 has been rejected.

San Diego State University (email 3/7/11).

Kinda had a bad feeling about the program anyways...

Members don't see this ad :)
4) Find the school of interest on the list. If it is missing, add it in alphabetical order.
5) Add the method of rejection notification if it is not already there (Phone Call, E-mail, Snail Mail, etc)
6) Click submit

SDSU/UCSD: email
loveAuD, kittykatie (3/7)

Super bummed as I'm doing my undergrad there and I can't say enough wonderful things about the program. I'm spending as much time in the sun and eating fish tacos as possible before I'm forced to leave.

Kittykatie, I can't believe SDSU rejected you! You got into one the top AuD programs in the nation! I'd be proud of myself if I got into the #1 school. :D Be happy!

6) Click submit

Super bummed as I'm doing my undergrad there and I can't say enough wonderful things about the program. I'm spending as much time in the sun and eating fish tacos as possible before I'm forced to leave.

That is INSANE. You got into Vander but not SDSU? Wow, what are the odds?
You really should be proud of yourself, and I'm curious. How's SDSU? Although I applied to this school, I haven't heard much about it. Any insights?

rejected from Vanderbilt, not quite sure what exactly they were looking for anyway

rejected from Wash U- got a nice letter in the mail.

6) Click submit

Vanderbilt :
csmith72 (3/9)

Washington U. @ St. Louis: snail mail
agapantha (3/9)

That is INSANE. You got into Vander but not SDSU? Wow, what are the odds?
You really should be proud of yourself, and I'm curious. How's SDSU? Although I applied to this school, I haven't heard much about it. Any insights?

You guys are too kind!

I really love the professors I've had at SDSU. They take a real interest in their students and are incredibly supportive. I've found their research to be very interesting. Despite being focused on putting out research, they are first and foremost educators and are passionate about teaching. Their clinical instructors are some of the nicest people I've met in my entire life. The current students are all very easy going and welcoming. Even though the second year is done at the UCSD campus, the two campuses work very closely together. I obviously don't know the professors at UCSD as well, but they seem incredibly intelligent. I know one of them specializes in intraoperative monitoring which I found very interesting.The otolaryngologists at UCSD love the AuD students. I think it's great that you get a year focused on everything medical. I feel like the program is focused on producing great clinicians.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

I feel like the program is focused on producing great clinicians. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Hi KittyKatie,

What kind of research are they working on right now? I know they have a list of published work on their website, but I don't know of any current research work.

Last edited:
Hi KittyKatie,

What kind of research are they working on right now? I know they a list of published work on their website, but I haven't any current research work.

Dr. Torre is doing study on the effect of iPod use on OAEs. He's also involved in a major epidemiology study of hearing loss in the Latino-American community. I know he has an interest in the link between heart disease and hearing loss, but I think he's researching the other two areas right now. Dr. Dreisbach Hawe is doing research on how to test ultra high frequencies and trying to determine how useful they are for predicting hearing loss. Dr. Mackersie does research on temperature and blood pressure in challenging listening situations. I've got more information about Dr. Boothroyd's research in a packet somewhere, but from what I remember he is developing a method of testing small children's hearing using a computer game. I know a few of my friends volunteered as subjects in Dr. Kramer's lab, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was on.

6) Click submit

Vanderbilt :
csmith72 (3/9)

Washington U. @ St. Louis: snail mail
agapantha (3/9)

University of North Carolina: Postal
Eastr90 (3/14, Waitlisted)

6) Click submit

SDSU/UCSD
: E-mail

University of North Carolina: Snail Mail
Eastr90 (3/14, Waitlisted)

University of Washington in Seattle: E-mail
HappyApplicant (3/4)

Vanderbilt: Snail Mail
Mailcsmith72 (3/9)

Washington University in St. Louis
: Snail Mail
agapantha (3/9)

Last edited:
6) Click submit

SDSU/UCSD: E-mail

University of North Carolina: Snail Mail
Eastr90 (3/14, Waitlisted), amysh (3/15)

University of Washington in Seattle:E-mail
HappyApplicant (3/4)

Vanderbilt: Snail Mailcsmith72 (3/9), HappyApplicant (3/4)

Washington University in St. Louis:Snail Mail
agapantha (3/9)

I'm confused...how can we tell rejected vs. waitlisted? I don't think we should associate wait list with "rejected".

Also, I remember from a previous thread that people would post when they declined acceptances for those on the wait list. I also think it included people who removed themselves from the wait list. Maybe we should do that again? It may be helpful for some people. I know at my undergraduate (UW-Seattle) a couple of people have turned down spots in favor of other programs...so that means they've dug into the wait list and accepted two people from it. The rest are still deliberating I imagine (like myself..although I'm close to deciding).

kittykatie, i've heard a little rumor -- that it is harder for CA residents to get into SDSU, primarily because of in-state/out-of-state tuition. this sort of makes me that that it could be true as, like everyone else said, you've been accepted to Vanderbilt. i may be totally wrong. have you heard anything related to this?

kittykatie, i've heard a little rumor -- that it is harder for CA residents to get into SDSU,

Rumor started by someone who isn't in the program?

Almost half of each class is Californian, but it has nothing to do with your residency. Whether you're out of state or in state, they're looking for students who are interested in the program and show proof of it (volunteer work, past work experience in the related field if any, GPA, GRE scores, etc) and of course, complete your application packet and do so correctly.

Last edited: