The Official 4/17/2010 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else here taking the MCAT in April? I really really only want to face this beast once, but I figure it will still give me some time to retake the exam in the summer just in case. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

This was mentioned in fine print in the "MCAT essentials" required reading prior to the exam. It was easy to miss.

Yeah and even after I read it I was not at all sure what it meant.

"Please note that each multiple-choice section will include some experimental items that do not count toward your score."

EACH section?

where did you hear about these so called "experimental passages"? If anyone had the GTP passage aka ras phosphorylation passage, i sure as hell hope that was experimental because that one was very dense and confusing for me! anyone else have that passage?

I had this passage. This was probably the most difficult passage for me in Bio, but for some reason I felt pretty confident about this passage (and the BS section in general).

It was the VR that reallly through me off-especially with that f-ing limestone passage sh**. I really hated that passage and the questions that came with it. I also was not a huge fan of the PS section since I marked like 10 questions and did not get a chance to look at even one of them. I was just thankful to have answered all the questions lol :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah and even after I read it I was not at all sure what it meant.

"Please note that each multiple-choice section will include some experimental items that do not count toward your score."

EACH section?

So if they say "each section" does this mean that verbal also has some experimental questions?? Because I sure hope that whole freakin limestone passage was experimental - if so, I'll be feeling A LOT better about my chances of doing well in verbal!

So if they say "each section" does this mean that verbal also has some experimental questions?? Because I sure hope that whole freakin limestone passage was experimental - if so, I'll be feeling A LOT better about my chances of doing well in verbal!

It could really help or hurt you. What if the questions you found easy were experimental and aren't going to be counted? It kind of makes me wonder how many questions the exam is actually out of. When I die, I'm definitely going to haunt the powers that be until I figure the process out with certainty.

edit: actually I just found this quote on these forums from 2007. Pretty sure the limestone passage is not experimental. Maybe a question or two though, you never know. Good luck!

Actually, no. It was more about vadose and phreatic caves relative to water tables and sandstone vs. limestone.

Last edited:
does that mean that the practice AAMC tests do not include these "experimental" questions?

Good question. I would say no. They know the scaling for the practice test. The experimental passages cannot be included because they must not have a scaling established. So by tweaking the scaling of the practice tests to reflect inclusion of more questions, the AAMC scores are fairly indicative of MCAT scores. Just an idea but I suppose no one really knows.

what a long month this will be. At least 2 weeks of it is about to be taken up by a Finals marathon. hahaha.

It could really help or hurt you. What if the questions you found easy were experimental and aren't going to be counted? It kind of makes me wonder how many questions the exam is actually out of. When I die, I'm definitely going to haunt the powers that be until I figure the process out with certainty.

edit: actually I just found this quote on these forums from 2007. Pretty sure the limestone passage is not experimental. Maybe a question or two though, you never know. Good luck!

Yeah i too don't think it was experimental. They usually throw in one tough one for the bell curve. I also don't think the ras one was experimental. it seemed normal. I did have an ochem one which was jibberish - literally a paragraph full of compound names and synthesis. luckily none of the ?'s dealt with it so i didn't read it. Did any one have the one with enzymes and colors? i was left with 10 mins for that one and the one with exercise resistance so i had to fly through those.

That one was pretty straightforward... I had taken cancer bio before though, but looking at the passage I found that you could answer all the questions there with the stuff presented in there...

I thought the color thing was the one that had nothing to do with the passage... I looked through the questions and was expecting something entirely different

Yeah i too don't think it was experimental. They usually throw in one tough one for the bell curve. I also don't think the ras one was experimental. it seemed normal. I did have an ochem one which was jibberish - literally a paragraph full of compound names and synthesis. luckily none of the ?'s dealt with it so i didn't read it. Did any one have the one with enzymes and colors? i was left with 10 mins for that one and the one with exercise resistance so i had to fly through those.

I don't really remember any of the orgo (didn't think any of it was bad). The enzymes and colors passage was a little tricky (the last question from that passage, I'm convinced that a correct answer choice was not even available).

I feel like in both of the science sections, many of the questions really were pseudo-discrete questions - while the passages were very dense and convoluted, you really didn't need the passages very much to answer the questions. There was one passage that I literally didn't use the passage for any of the questions in the BS section (I think it was something to do with water).

Anyone else NOT have this colors passage everyone is refering to? I know I answered all the q's...
I don't even remember much orgo on my test... A few discretes and maybe a passage?

I'm pretty sure I didn't have the colors passage. And I definitely had time to review my answers on BS. However, it's all kind of a blur now...

I'm pretty sure I didn't have the colors passage. And I definitely had time to review my answers on BS. However, it's all kind of a blur now...

That's comforting. :) All a blur... PS feels like a dream. If I didn't remember checking that I had answered all of the questions I would be wondering now whether I hadn't just accidentally sleep through it. lol. All I remember is the first passage. Still feel good though :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
By colors I meant the enzyme and color one....

The last question was tricky... it seemed not to have the right answer on it directly... but it was more that you had to eliminate all the wrong answers present

Its an interesting experiment when you learn about a similar one in cancer biology you'll realize the impact it had on cancer biology...amazing but that experiment the explanation was more simple

Not sure if I know what "the color" passage was. Did it involve bacteria cultured at different temperatures?

Not sure if I know what "the color" passage was. Did it involve bacteria cultured at different temperatures?

I still do not know what the color passage is either. I am beginning to forget the entire exam. I think the AAMC is erasing my mind!

did you guys have to "blind guess" at all? If so, what's your letter of choice. I'm ashamed to say I used "B" a few times. Been my emergency letter ever since "C" and I had that fight.

Last edited:
Ooooooh! It's all coming back into memory.

As for blind guesses, I made one this time around-
usually go for a OR c. I guess I've never had that fight.

I think I had the enzymes question. I can't recall having any orgo passages though. I recall some independent orgo questions but that's about it.

I had the colors one. I can't really remember what I came up with but I remember feeling certain it was almost impossible to figure it out from the passage... but very interesting

I've finished my personal statement, I just need to get working on LORs since I haven't even started yet lol... I dislike asking people for letters, but I'm gonna have to start liking it real soon :laugh:

LORs are the one thing I actually have done (thankfully).
Most people don't mind writing a LOR so don't worry about asking for them.

When you meet with the professors, supervisors, etc just make sure you bring descriptions of your activities and your transcripts. :)

The more time goes on, the more I forget how I felt in the exam. All I can remember is that I did not feel good about verbal.... ppleeassee just give me at least an 8 in that section!!! :scared:

The more time goes on, the more I forget how I felt in the exam. All I can remember is that I did not feel good about verbal.... ppleeassee just give me at least an 8 in that section!!! :scared:

fingers crossed.

Anyone else graduating? 2 more weeks of undergrad for me!:D

The second I'm done with secondaries I'm going to start craving classes. haha. I know that already.

That's when the traveling starts! volunteering and shadowing are still going to be on my schedule, too, though. Then, MED SCHOOL!!!

The second I'm done with secondaries I'm going to start craving classes. haha. I know that already.

That's when the traveling starts! volunteering and shadowing are still going to be on my schedule, too, though. Then, MED SCHOOL!!!

woot woot!! Congrats on the graduation coming up! I still have senior year left. I hope I can land an acceptance early so I can finally relax a little.

Can't wait for us all to get to med school :)

I know! It's going to be great!

We're dominating this thread now.. Everyone just dropped in to talk about the test then left lol. Can't wait to see the volume change just before score release.

I'm gonna be at a baseball game on May 18th :) NY v. BOS

We're dominating this thread now.. Everyone just dropped in to talk about the test then left lol. Can't wait to see the volume change just before score release.

It's funny because we're down to the "original" people again. Clearly, we're the cool kids on the board. Lol. :)

That's cool about the baseball game! I got free tickets to a game on May 28th (Brewers vs Mets). I'm not really a Brewers fan but I figured it'd still be fun. :D

I love baseball games :) Hey, if they're free, why not? I still haven't decided whether to look at Thx during the game.

What schools are you guys considering?

Can't get rid of me... that easily... I just avoided the board before to concentrate but will stay here till the scores are out !

yeah, i've been trying to take my mind off the test. it hasn't worked. this is going to be the longest month ever! i wish i had some cohesive memory of it, but whenever i think back it's a blur. i can't remember anything except a couple discretes i've been trying to figure out since test day...

yeah, i've been trying to take my mind off the test. it hasn't worked. this is going to be the longest month ever! i wish i had some cohesive memory of it, but whenever i think back it's a blur. i can't remember anything except a couple discretes i've been trying to figure out since test day...

same here. although i have two exams tomorrow so i should really go and study instead of lurking around in this forum. In any case in 2 more weeks i want to catch up on all the sleep i've lost over the past few months.

I don't think you should keep trying to look up the discretes you remember you end up in best scenario afriad that other questions are wrong still or worst scenario afriad because that one is wrong and more might still be wrong...

I don't know I am happy with the free time just looking at the NFL draft, baseball is killing me (Giants fan).... Takes my mind off the MCAT for a little while just wish med school was a draft process.... instead its like baseball and we're all in the minors waiting for the chance at the major league

Here's to hoping what they say is true about scoring in your AAMC range...otherwise I'll be pretty disappointed. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Here's to scoring in the top of our AAMC ranges :xf:

looks like 3/27 and 4/10 are starting a brawl-

Last edited:
fingers crossed.

Anyone else graduating? 2 more weeks of undergrad for me!:D

I'm here....had a histology exam that kept me occupied this week. I'm sticking around for a 5th undergrad year. Taking a few more science classes before the curriculum's set in med school.

Is it me, or does anyone else not remember the MCAT anymore? I think my body was in "fight or flight" mode.

Without saying too much, I wanted to check the answer to the albumin one. I asked my physiology professor who told me one answer, the one i picked!, then emailed me later that day to explain that what she had said was the immediate response and that down the line the opposite would happen. So now i'm unsure.

Haha. I don't even remember that question. I think I forgot almost every question by the time I walked out of the testing center.

I'm here....had a histology exam that kept me occupied this week. I'm sticking around for a 5th undergrad year. Taking a few more science classes before the curriculum's set in med school.

Is it me, or does anyone else not remember the MCAT anymore? I think my body was in "fight or flight" mode.

Way to incorporate MCAT prep into your post. haha.

I remember there was some science, then some verbal, then maybe some more science... Oh, writing, too.

No, just kidding. It's about to be finals week. I'm soon to be a liiiiiitle stressed.

Way to incorporate MCAT prep into your post. haha.

I remember there was some science, then some verbal, then maybe some more science... Oh, writing, too.

No, just kidding. It's about to be finals week. I'm soon to be a liiiiiitle stressed.

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck on their finals! :)

All I can remember is one specific question in PS about a certain element (a discrete question) because i got it wrong lol and the WS (which nobody cares about haha), one VR passage, and one BS passage.

Other than that, last Saturday is a complete blur to me. Almost seems like a traumatic experience that my brain has decided to purge from memory (maybe this serves some evolutionary advantage - haha ok, enough trying to sound smart).

In other news, I've started the process of obtaining LORs yaaayyy! :D

All I can remember is one specific question in PS about a certain element (a discrete question) because i got it wrong lol and the WS (which nobody cares about haha), one VR passage, and one BS passage.

Other than that, last Saturday is a complete blur to me. Almost seems like a traumatic experience that my brain has decided to purge from memory (maybe this serves some evolutionary advantage - haha ok, enough trying to sound smart).

hahah! This is hilarious!!
lol
Im sure you did fine!! ^_^

I've been working on my personal statement. I asked for LOR's early this semester but only 1 has been turned in. :-/ Makin' me nervous. You guys use any of the essay editing services? or just prof/ prehealth/ english department proofreads?

My computer-literacy needs improvement. Whatever- Double Cookies!!!!!!

Attachments

• Petri-Dish-Cookie-300x300.jpg
    Petri-Dish-Cookie-300x300.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 139
  • elementcookie8-t.JPG
    elementcookie8-t.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited: