The Official 4/17/2010 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else here taking the MCAT in April? I really really only want to face this beast once, but I figure it will still give me some time to retake the exam in the summer just in case. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

2009 MCAT
PS: 7
VR: 6
BS:10
W: O
-------
23O

2010 MCAT
PS: 9
VR: 9
BS: 10
W: P
-------
28P

Should I retake? Studied much harder this time around, but more anxious to apply to DO and MD this cycle:confused:

I used strictly ExamKrackers set. I also did every single one of their 101 MCAT Verbal Passages, and I listened to their MCAT Audio Osmosis CDs probably about 10 times (I commute to school). Seemed to work for me. But you need to find your own groove, and what works for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
umm not sure what to do. i got a 29M PS/Vr/Bs 10/8/11. i am shocked by verbal also..i thought it went well. on the other hand i left ~8 blank in PS so there must have been a good curve. my aamc avg was a 29 with a low of 28 and high of 32 so do you guys think i should retake?

Anybody get an absurd VR score?

I was so confident about that section and thought, if nothing else I'll get ~8.

Scores:
PS - 12
VR - 6!!!!
BS - 10
W - R
-----
28R

I didn't think people who tried and felt confident in a section could even get a 6. I remember taking 2 AAMC practice VR sections the night before and knocking them out of the park. I'm really considering regrading.

Scores:
PS - 12
VR - 6!!!!
BS - 10
W - R
-----
28R

I didn't think people who tried and felt confident in a section could even get a 6. I remember taking 2 AAMC practice VR sections the night before and knocking them out of the park. I'm really considering regrading.

I've written three times (April 23rd is my most recent try, other tries were in 2007 and 2008). My first write I scored 9/10/9 S, and second 11/5/10 T. Clearly one of these things is not like the others. I did not request a regrade, perhaps I should have, but it just goes to show how crazy verbal reasoning can be. I don't know how it's possible that I can be a pretty good writer (S and T), score a 10 the year before, and then suddenly drop to a 5 in verbal reasoning. It is beyond me. I rewrote on the 23rd and I'm hoping for no fluke scores like that again, but it does happen, even to people who are pretty good at reading/writing.

Scores:
PS - 12
VR - 6!!!!
BS - 10
W - R
-----
28R

My verbal was on the lower end of my range, but nothing that extreme.

Has anyone gotten an answer from AAMC that the scores posted before were accurate? I'm currently on hold to have this question answered.

I didn't get a chance to check earlier and now the score site is down. So frustrated right now...
I hear you.....I'm still waiting too! this would really suck if they don't get the scores back up today...I'll be really irritated!!!!(like i'm not already!)

Has anyone gotten an answer from AAMC that the scores posted before were accurate? I'm currently on hold to have this question answered.

I'm sure there are a couple of us still hoping that the earlier scores weren't completely accurate. :laugh:

I sort of predicted and expected what I got. I knew verbal would be low. My other sections were fine and also what I expected. Verbal just threw me a curveball. Oh well, I'm gonna suit up and retake with more emphasis on verbal this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just off the phone with AAMC, said the number scores will stay the same but the writing ...might.... change. It really seemed to just be fixing the X some people are reporting.

He said they are gonna try their best and have it fixed this evening, otherwise itll be tomorrow morning.

Wow. F'n A. Verbal smacked me around like it's name was Brandon Marshall, and I actually thought I did well on it (for me well is a 9). The really messed up thing is that I thought I would almost certainly get about an 8 in PS (had to guess on like 8 q's) and a 12 in Bio...instead I got two 10's. Retaking in 3 days.

I just got off the phone with them - they say scores will be up no later than tomorrow.

I'm feeling like Clark Griswald right now in Christmas Vacation: "I want to tell him (AAMC) what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, ****less, hopeless, heartless, fat-***, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** he (AAMC) is. Hallelujah. Holy ****. Where's the Tylenol?"

After 30 days, YGBSM?

man.. i was scoring 11 average in verbal and i got a 7 this time... whats up?!?! Maybe one of the experimental passages was one I aced while one of the passages I bombed was for real?

man.. i was scoring 11 average in verbal and i got a 7 this time... whats up?!?! Maybe one of the experimental passages was one I aced while one of the passages I bombed was for real?

yeah there was definitely something funky about this verbal reasoning. it reminds me of aamc 10 where i thought everything was going well until the scores popped up.

thank you ladydoc2010! you're a genius!!
first time poster on this thread. got a 32Q, one point higher than my first time. was totally expecting 29 or below though so i'm reasonably happy. at work right now so can't post aamc averages but will do so later.
still can't believe it's finally over...

yeah there was definitely something funky about this verbal reasoning. it reminds me of aamc 10 where i thought everything was going well until the scores popped up.

Really? AAMC10 was my best practice test by far. Actually gave me some dang false confidence.

scores are finally up!!!

expected:
PS: 9
VR: 11
BS: 11

actual:
PS: 12
BS: 10
WS: Q

33Q

I was pleasantly surprised. I thought I bombed PS and signed up for a July test date. Thought I would have done better on BS, but I'm not retaking it. I found that this score was pretty much my average on all the AAMC tests.

Well this was my second attempt at the test and Im never taking this damn thing again! Although my verbal sucks it is better than it was the 1st time i took the test lol

Practice tests
BS 10-12
PS 10-12
V 7-9

Actual test
BS 11
PS 12
V 7
writing Q

I can't read apparently but i guess i can write ok LOL!

AAMC average: 34.3

I didn't even try to predict my score. I had absolutely no idea how I did. People asked me how the test went and I'd reply with something along the lines of "Well, I finished it!".

Actual test: 37M PS (13) - VR (9) - BS (15)

I'm ecstatic! I'm very surprised by my BS score. I felt like the BS section was a good deal more difficult than the practice tests, where I was getting 12-13 on BS section. I suppose the section on the test which I hoped was experimental probably was.

About the writing score, is an M (coupled with a 9 VR) in the range where it could possibly hurt my application? I'm a competent writer, but I just can't write quickly. Should I be worried about this at all?

dude you got a 37! you're the captain of the ship. Don't worry. Remember the mcat is not the only thing that counts towards your acceptance

For all those who didn't do well on VR... retake that sucker enough times and you'll eventually catch one you like. :D
No seriously though. Take some time to regroup and attack that thing.

5/28/09
VR: 6
PS: 10
BS: 9
T: 25M

8/06/09
VR: 7
PS: 8
BS: 11
T: 26M

4/17/10
PS: 10
BS: 9
T: 30M

PS:14
VR:10
BS:13
WR:R
Total: 37R

I am extremely happy with this score!!! My English wasn't even fluent 3 years ago!! Thank you sooo much for all those who have helped me out and given me great support here on SDN =DDD <3 <3

PS:14
VR:10
BS:13
WR:R
Total: 37R

I am extremely happy with this score!!! My English wasn't even fluent 3 years ago!! Thank you sooo much for all those who have helped me out and given me great support here on SDN =DDD <3 <3

*High five!* Congrats on the score! I've been speaking English my whole life, but I still can't seem to apply it to writing very well. :oops:

After doing a little research, it looks like my M writing score isn't quite in the danger zone. (Top Gun song is now running through my mind on repeat..) I was pushing it though, the only practice I had was the writing prompts from my practice full lengths. I felt like I was wasting my time because I wasn't getting any score or feedback on how to improve.

*High five!* Congrats on the score! I've been speaking English my whole life, but I still can't seem to apply it to writing very well. :oops:

After doing a little research, it looks like my M writing score isn't quite in the danger zone. (Top Gun song is now running through my mind on repeat..) I was pushing it though, the only practice I had was the writing prompts from my practice full lengths. I felt like I was wasting my time because I wasn't getting any score or feedback on how to improve.

Yea! I heard writing score isnt THAT crucial in the screening process (as compared to the scores), so dont worry =]. Same here the only writing practice i had was the 5 fls i took with kaplan. Got feedback for 2 (4 prompts) of them. I find it most helpful just studying some perfect-score passages out there tho :-\

I'm in a similar position. I got a good numerical score but an M in writing. Based on some internet searching though it looks like the M isn't the end of the world

32P!!!!

I phucking did it!!!!!! This is the second time I take the MCAT, took it in 2008 and got a 25Q, so for all of you out there thinking about retaking, YOU CAN DO IT!!! AND YOU CAN INCREASE YOUR SCORE DRAMATICALLY!!!!

Honestly, its weird, but the first time I took it and got the 25Q I actually walked out of the test feeling really good, like I had aced it. This second time around I got a 32P and I walked out of the test feeling like I have bombed it and failed horribley.

I studied completeley different for the second time taking the test, anyone considering retaking PM me and I'll give you what advice I can that helped me out the second time taking the damn thing.

32P!!!!

I phucking did it!!!!!! This is the second time I take the MCAT, took it in 2008 and got a 25Q, so for all of you out there thinking about retaking, YOU CAN DO IT!!! AND YOU CAN INCREASE YOUR SCORE DRAMATICALLY!!!!

Honestly, its weird, but the first time I took it and got the 25Q I actually walked out of the test feeling really good, like I had aced it. This second time around I got a 32P and I walked out of the test feeling like I have bombed it and failed horribley.

I studied completeley different for the second time taking the test, anyone considering retaking PM me and I'll give you what advice I can that helped me out the second time taking the damn thing.

Oh and I was talking 2 science classes and working part-time! IT CAN BE DONE!!

You guys can do it, you really can!! Sorry, I am just so excited right now. Never thought it was possible to do well in the MCAT while working and going to school, everyone said it couldn't be done.

Pretty happy with the way things turned out. Did not do as well as expected (AAMC avg was PS:13 VR:10 BS:11) but ended up with PS:12 VR:9 BS:10. W: Q. I thought the test was REALLY hard and almost voided it after, so I guess this could have been a lot worse!

Haha life is awesome! I still can't believe how well things turned out as I came out of the test praying for a 30 (and willing to accept a 29!)

Princeton Review Averages:
V=7
B=10
P=9

AAMC Averages:
V=7
B=11
P=11

ACTUAL:
V=11 (CRAZY!!!!!!!!! My highest ever was a 9 which i got once)
B=12
P=12

Total=35Q!!

Good luck everyone and I hope things go just as amazing for you!!!

"Medical schools need to discern whether or not MCAT scores from calendar year 2010 should be expected in support of your application.

Click yes to include upcoming or recently taken MCAT exam dates"

If we sat on 4/17 and do not plan to retake, we go with a NO for this question, right? I just want to be sure since they phrased the question in a strange way.

"Medical schools need to discern whether or not MCAT scores from calendar year 2010 should be expected in support of your application.

Click yes to include upcoming or recently taken MCAT exam dates"

If we sat on 4/17 and do not plan to retake, we go with a NO for this question, right? I just want to be sure since they phrased the question in a strange way.

That is indeed a weird question hmm. Have u decided where ur gonna apply???

I checked my score specifically at 7PM just to make sure my scores were released haha. THE RESULTS:

30N:
9 VR
10 PS
11 BS

I think this is good enough for med school! (All the other parts of my application are solid!)

I'm super excited now haha! I felt HORRIBLE about the test and even considered studying for the retake before I got my scores back. Either way, I'm graduating this Saturday! Good luck everyone!

I'm still making up my list. I'm gathering data like in-state / out-state student ratio and information about curriculum / faculty. I will probably apply rather broadly.

same here =D Would u mind adding me on aim? maybe we can talk about schools lol

I walked out of the exam thinking I could have scored anywhere from a 24 to 30. Ended up:

PS - 12
VR - 9
BS - 10
W - Q

So long MCAT studying forever!

Hey guys,

Whatsup with the verbal. I have never scored so low all my 16 practice tests! VR 6, when I typically get 11s!

It seems like most people that typically do poor on verbal did well and those that do well--did worse.

Who called AAMC to talk about this? And how does the regrading work if it is computerized? Does that mean a key could have had an error? This is killing me!

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.