The Official 4/29/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think It may be too early for this, but curious to know who's writing on this date. Join this thread and let's share knowledge/experience and blow this test out of the water!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all of you 4/29'ers...Happy Holidays and get ready because we have the beginning of the last months of MCAT studying right around the corner...enjoy the new year, be safe and rest. We all will need to be rested for what's coming ahead...later people.

Hey all of you 4/29'ers...Happy Holidays and get ready because we have the beginning of the last months of MCAT studying right around the corner...enjoy the new year, be safe and rest. We all will need to be rested for what's coming ahead...later people.

i'm starting study beginning jan 1st :D.........:eek:.............:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all..I finally joined this exam date :)

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good flashcards for review...i dont plan on buying any MCAT books...because I have textbooks that can help me review whatever i need...i dont see the need to buy more books explaining the same concepts as the books i spend 150 on

anyhoo..i would like some feed back on this...ps. first time taker...and hopefully last :)

cheers and happy new yrs

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good flashcards for review...i dont plan on buying any MCAT books...because I have textbooks that can help me review whatever i need...i dont see the need to buy more books explaining the same concepts as the books i spend 150 on

anyhoo..i would like some feed back on this...ps. first time taker...and hopefully last :)

cheers and happy new yrs

hey welcome man. I find the flashcards at wikipremed pretty solid.

cheers and happy new yrs

I think ppl mostly get the books not just for content review but also the all important passages

I think ppl mostly get the books not just for content review but also the all important passages

important passages..is that a long way of saying the problem lol..at the end of the passages theres usually a question so they just try to confuse with all the other reading..but honestly, jokes aside, whats the point of buy MCAT review books when I have a textbook that is recommendated by the prof. to study a certain subject.

instead of these money hungry MCAT publishing companies that just try to drain us because they assume we all come from rich families if we are trying to seek out a M.D :cool:

point is getting too long now...ill stop there :) i could just be a neive first time MCAT taker:idea:

important passages..is that a long way of saying the problem lol..at the end of the passages theres usually a question so they just try to confuse with all the other reading..but honestly, jokes aside, whats the point of buy MCAT review books when I have a textbook that is recommendated by the prof. to study a certain subject.

instead of these money hungry MCAT publishing companies that just try to drain us because they assume we all come from rich families if we are trying to seek out a M.D :cool:

point is getting too long now...ill stop there :) i could just be a neive first time MCAT taker:idea:

Ha the evil mcat corporations controlled by the "man"

In! Pushed back from 1/28 because I could not find a seat in my area (and because I wasn't quite ready for the Jan test). I'm hoping that four months is enough time to get my verbal score into double digits and improve both BS and PS (looking for solid 12s in both). I took Cell Bio, Genetics, and Physics 1 last semester, so hopefully what I learned from those classes will help when I'm taking practice passages and FLs.

Good luck, '29ers! :luck: :thumbup:

Hey guys,

I just recently joined SDN, and I am taking the 4/29 MCAT in San Diego. Good luck on studying!

BUMP...OK guys/gals, the lazy days (for some) of the holidays are now gone...Lets get into MCAT mode now! and for those out there that have been on this mode already...well congrats!...good luck!

Just found out that classes are canceled for tomorrow (inclement weather), so that gives me another day to work on content review. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I just signed up for the 4/29 test date...How's studying going for everyone? What do you think is the best material to use for Physics and verbal sections(my weakest areas)?

Hey guys, I just signed up for the 4/29 test date...How's studying going for everyone? What do you think is the best material to use for Physics and verbal sections(my weakest areas)?

Well I'm no expert but...Im using EK101 verbal and BR phys along with EK and wikipremed. Mostly BR then sometimes wikipremed, just to think of a different approach to some topics and then seldom EK just to see what they say.

Last edited:

Berkeley Review for physics and EK101 and Princeton Review for verbal.

Taking any predictably hard classes?

courses:

Advanced Anatomy
Endocrinology
Intro to Shakespeare
Hormones and Behavior
Biochemistry

I think Biochem and Anatomy will be most time consuming, and even though this will be a tough semester academically (classes+mcat+research+ec's) I think with correct time management I'll be fine. And I feel like a lot of those classes overlap/will help me in mcat studying

Well I'm no expert but...Im using EK101 verbal and BR phys along with EK and wikipremed. Mostly BR then sometimes wikipremed, just to think of a different approach to some topics and then seldom EK just to see what they say.

I used the EK101 verbal for a while and they have the most ******ed explanations for the verbal answers. I have a whole bunch of highly representative GRE/GMAT/LSAT passages that I'm going to practice off of for the sake of brute force along with the princeton review books. All reading comprehension is essentially the same. Good luck with the EK101 verbal, also beware about the Biology passages from EK, there's a ridiculous amount of errors that make me question my own judgment even though most of the time I got it right, same goes with the chemistry 1000 Q's workbook. It's good for speed and if you have the time to confirm your right as I doubt the book was written by a council of chemistry PhDs.

How is everyone doing in terms of studying and keeping up with their schedule? Sending positive vibes to everyone!

Greetings,

Just noticed this group. I too will be taking the MCAT on 4/29/11. I'm currently on day 17 of sn2ed's 4 month plan. Which means I'm doing to pretty good job at keeping up with schedule. The only problem is I never want to practice my verbal, so I really have no idea how I'm doing there. I think I just might try complete a whole test from EK 101 verbal tomorrow to see how I'm doing. Along with Youneverknow, I'm also taking classes this semester (13 Hours-Physics 2, Biochem, Vert Phys). Hopefully these classes help support my MCAT studying. Overall, I would say the BR books are solid so far and I think I'm starting to pick up on the MCAT way of thinking.

Also, I look forward to having the company of other hardworking individuals in this group as I can tell great discipline is needed to be successful on the MCAT.

THARMS

Greetings,

Just noticed this group. I too will be taking the MCAT on 4/29/11. I'm currently on day 17 of sn2ed's 4 month plan. Which means I'm doing to pretty good job at keeping up with schedule. The only problem is I never want to practice my verbal, so I really have no idea how I'm doing there. I think I just might try complete a whole test from EK 101 verbal tomorrow to see how I'm doing. Along with Youneverknow, I'm also taking classes this semester (13 Hours-Physics 2, Biochem, Vert Phys). Hopefully these classes help support my MCAT studying. Overall, I would say the BR books are solid so far and I think I'm starting to pick up on the MCAT way of thinking.

Also, I look forward to having the company of other hardworking individuals in this group as I can tell great discipline is needed to be successful on the MCAT.

THARMS

hey tharms good job at keeping the sn2ed's schedule, it's a tough one. As a comment/advise you may want to start verbal right away or at least have some idea where you stand, that way you know how to approach it. It's the most difficult section to get better at IMO. Good luck!

hey tharms good job at keeping the sn2ed's schedule, it's a tough one. As a comment/advise you may want to start verbal right away or at least have some idea where you stand, that way you know how to approach it. It's the most difficult section to get better at IMO. Good luck!

TXKnight,

I just took EK 101 test 2 and I answered 32 out of 40 correctly. Using this conversion chart below I equate my score to a 10. With this being by first verbal test, I would say I'm pleased. I think I will closely review what I missed tomorrow and may just take a verbal test every 3 or 4 days rather than doing 3 passages daily as SN2ed prescribed.

MCAT Practice
Estimated Scaled Score Physical Science Raw Scores Verbal Reasoning Raw Scores Biological Science Raw Scores
15 52-52 40-40 51-52
14 50-51 39-39 50-50
13 49-49 38-38 47-49
12 46-48 37-37 46-46
11 44-45 34-36 43-45
10 41-43 31-33 39-42
9 38-40 29-30 35-38
8 33-37 27-28 32-34
7 28-32 24-26 29-31
6 23-27 21-23 26-28
5 19-22 19-20 23-25
4 15-18 15-18 20-22
3 11-14 12-14 16-19
2 8-10 9-11 14-15
1 0-7 0-8 0-13

I started strong in verbal and now that i started studying the sciences, i find myself lazy to do passages. i need to pick myself up.
Where is everyone in their content review? Did you just start? ARe you almost done? what do you find helpful? or not helpful?

I started strong in verbal and now that i started studying the sciences, i find myself lazy to do passages. i need to pick myself up.
Where is everyone in their content review? Did you just start? ARe you almost done? what do you find helpful? or not helpful?

All done with Gen chem,almost done with physics, 1/2 done bio and 0% orgo.
will start hitting all phase I phys (BR) and Bio this month, phase II gen chem. Also doing verbal 2 times a week (need to pick up here).Next month I will hit orgo full steam, finish up all phases for everything and start or my 1001 books and extra passages (TPRH). Same story in March with the addition of FL's.Same April with more FL's. If I'm not hitting my target score on my FL's by the second week of april I will jump ship and reschedule for last test in May. I will NOT jump ship from that one if it comes to that. All this is on paper though...we'll see.
What do you all think? any suggestions/insights would be definitely and greatly appreciated!

@TXKnight

That sounds great, how long have you been studying for? Great progress!

I know I'm having a hard time getting started since I began on O-Chem since its one of my weaknesses. Maybe I should've started with another topic and I'm hoping I get my TBR books very soon. Are you taking the full length verbal tests or completing passages?

Hope everyone is hanging in there.

On Day 3, I'm definitely having to adjust to the "MCAT" way of thinking....I almost feel like I'm not even absorbing anything (maybe because it's so early?). Using BR Books and EK Verbal and following BR's Home Schedule/ Sn2ed (slightly adjusted)....I also feel NO motivation to complete more than 2 practice passages after reading a chapter, anybody else face this early on?

I had the same problem last year and then laziness got the best of me, i would either do 2 or 3 passages or do no passages after content review and move onto the next topic. I strongly advise against that. Get used to doing the passages now. This time, I'm making myself do all the 6 passages for phase 1. I don't move on till i'm done with those.
I was doing 4 passages of verbal daily and i haven't done any the last 2 weeks. I've only done a few exercies in myreadinglab.

Just tell yourself you can't move on if you don't complete all the passages for phase 1. Even if it means doing badly on them, still do them. You learn a good deal from BR answer explanations.

On Day 3, I'm definitely having to adjust to the "MCAT" way of thinking....I almost feel like I'm not even absorbing anything (maybe because it's so early?). Using BR Books and EK Verbal and following BR's Home Schedule/ Sn2ed (slightly adjusted)....I also feel NO motivation to complete more than 2 practice passages after reading a chapter, anybody else face this early on?

WOW, good job there. Your plan sounds good. I'm doing the BR phases along with content review in addition to the 1001s as outlined in the 3month study plan. So far, i'm about 3days behind ( i work full time, research and volunteer, plus a little bit of school which hasn't started yet).
i did few of the TPRH passages during my "prestudy" phase and i plan on doing them all along with BR phase III in march.
No full lengths yet but i've one coming up. I'll read powerscores verbal guide again at work tomorrow night if i get a chance and that should propel me to do passages again.

Keep up with the good work.

All done with Gen chem,almost done with physics, 1/2 done bio and 0% orgo.
will start hitting all phase I phys (BR) and Bio this month, phase II gen chem. Also doing verbal 2 times a week (need to pick up here).Next month I will hit orgo full steam, finish up all phases for everything and start or my 1001 books and extra passages (TPRH). Same story in March with the addition of FL's.Same April with more FL's. If I'm not hitting my target score on my FL's by the second week of april I will jump ship and reschedule for last test in May. I will NOT jump ship from that one if it comes to that. All this is on paper though...we'll see.
What do you all think? any suggestions/insights would be definitely and greatly appreciated!

I had the same problem last year and then laziness got the best of me, i would either do 2 or 3 passages or do no passages after content review and move onto the next topic. I strongly advise against that. Get used to doing the passages now. This time, I'm making myself do all the 6 passages for phase 1. I don't move on till i'm done with those.
I was doing 4 passages of verbal daily and i haven't done any the last 2 weeks. I've only done a few exercies in myreadinglab.

Just tell yourself you can't move on if you don't complete all the passages for phase 1. Even if it means doing badly on them, still do them. You learn a good deal from BR answer explanations.

you're absolutely right,I need to say **** it and just do it.....I just need to ease into it I guess

WOW, good job there. Your plan sounds good. I'm doing the BR phases along with content review in addition to the 1001s as outlined in the 3month study plan. So far, i'm about 3days behind ( i work full time, research and volunteer, plus a little bit of school which hasn't started yet).
i did few of the TPRH passages during my "prestudy" phase and i plan on doing them all along with BR phase III in march.
No full lengths yet but i've one coming up. I'll read powerscores verbal guide again at work tomorrow night if i get a chance and that should propel me to do passages again.

Keep up with the good work.

Thank you mzblue, my schedule is on paper, let's see if i can keep up. Sometimes I just feel so tired or not being able to focus as I would like to.I also work FT,volunteer,etc. Anyway, you too keep up with all, it seems you are on top of things.

@TXKnight

That sounds great, how long have you been studying for? Great progress!

I know I'm having a hard time getting started since I began on O-Chem since its one of my weaknesses. Maybe I should've started with another topic and I'm hoping I get my TBR books very soon. Are you taking the full length verbal tests or completing passages?

Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Thanks eCHILD! I took an AAMC#3 last week of September -took it cold. No studying, reviewing, nothing, just to test the waters and evaluate what my weakest links were and start studying those subjects. I should mention I graduated a few yrs ago, so I haven't taken classes recently, but I'm taking biochem and statistics this semester. So, since I didn't score well (24 -- 7PS,8VR,9BS) I started studying in November and kept kind of studying in december (specially last 2 weeks of Dec). The hardest for me was to get started, but give it 2-3 weeks and you'll be in the groove in no time. Also I guess once you start feeling the pressure you'll get there. I know I work better under pressure. Anyway, so I started early because I needed to start early but my guess is that the majority of people here are taking and have been taking classes the last few yrs and all is fresh, so it may be easier to get into the mindset for you. You are going to be OK. I am not taking full VR tests right now. I'm still adjusting my approach to what works for me best, I read 3 timed passages at a time and do post-game. Good luck.

I don't know about you guys, but I was talking to someone today the test day- I feel like it is a big help for me to take it at 1 pm instead of 8 am...

Thanks so much @TXKnight, really needed to hear that. I'm glad things are getting better for you too. I most definitely will keep in mind your suggestions.

@DJack, I'm taking my test at 1pm lol so hopefully that'll help a bit with anxiety.

I don't know about you guys, but I was talking to someone today the test day- I feel like it is a big help for me to take it at 1 pm instead of 8 am...

DJack,

I totally agree, often I feel like my brain does not even begin function until after 11:00 AM. So having the opportunity to take a test at 1:00 PM is killer for me!

Tharms

hey guys! im taking thr 4/29 mcat in chicago. i just started studyin.. cant believe its 3 months away :((((

im not a morning person so i wanted to take the afternoon test too. hopefully i'll have more energy... !

4/29 baby..... lets do this!!!!!!!!! anyone take kaplan AND use EK verbal? their techniques are very contradicting.... i've heard nothing but good things about EK so I thought I would try it.

Joined the SDN forums recently and I'll be testing on 4/29... I'm following the sn2 study guide, but I have a little catching up to do (thankfully I'm graduated so no classes).. Good luck to everyone!

4/29 baby..... lets do this!!!!!!!!! anyone take kaplan AND use EK verbal? their techniques are very contradicting.... i've heard nothing but good things about EK so I thought I would try it.

both horrible. I wouldn't suggest either. I personally use BR+PR, particularly PR Science workbook.

i'll be joining all of you, 4/29 test date it is. I've already done the SN2 schedule this summer, went from a 27-->36 in 90 days or so. I didn't end up sitting because I wanted that 40 so bad.

So far, I've taken about 16 practice tests (gold standard, BR, a few AAMC, etc.), 3/4 TBR (doing the whole thing over), and then 1/4 EK 1001.

Plan this semester: Do every single TBR passage, every single Princeton Review set, and have discipline. I half assed it in the summer with partying on the weekends but still managed a 36 average by the end.

Let's push each other to get that #

This will be my second MCAT. First MCAT 21Q (6VR/6PS/9BS/QWR). Did not feel prepared enough judging by feeling like I did not have enough time.

Taking the afternoon exam on 4/29/11. Study plan to be determined this week. Suggestions welcome.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

Just registered for the 4/29 date in Kansas City! I am starting my studying this week. Only enrolled in 9 hours of easy coursework, so I should have plenty of time to prepare. :xf:

I'll be using Examkrackers books for all subjects, and some private tutoring for physics.

Good luck to everyone!

i'll be joining all of you, 4/29 test date it is. I've already done the SN2 schedule this summer, went from a 27-->36 in 90 days or so. I didn't end up sitting because I wanted that 40 so bad.

So far, I've taken about 16 practice tests (gold standard, BR, a few AAMC, etc.), 3/4 TBR (doing the whole thing over), and then 1/4 EK 1001.

Plan this semester: Do every single TBR passage, every single Princeton Review set, and have discipline. I half assed it in the summer with partying on the weekends but still managed a 36 average by the end.

Are the gs tests worth the price?

You didn't sit for the mcat because you're looking to get a 40? You do realize that, for the most part, scores above ~36 are mostly due to luck.

what up people, C'est moi.....hey, having lurked in the 1/28 and 1/29 MCAT club I get this impression that BS is pretty conceptual --testing and comparing hypotheses,tables--- I was wondering how well one is prepared for it by using EK Bio 1001 and BR. I think I am going to start reading Nature, Science, PNAS, etc again to get into the groove of heavy duty hypothesis testing/thinking; I used to read these when I was in research and it does become a lot easier to understand difficult topics once you read these articles regularly. The MCAT can't go crazier than these...or so I hope. What do you all think? What are you going to do? let's bring some ideas on the table.

Last edited: