The Official 4/29/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think It may be too early for this, but curious to know who's writing on this date. Join this thread and let's share knowledge/experience and blow this test out of the water!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! So I've been studying on/off for the past 4-5 weeks and I've gone through week 4 of EK so far, with brief reading in TPR books. There's only 2 months left to go, and I still feel really weak in physics and gen chem. Any good advice on how to kick up my understanding and scores in those sections?? I appreciate any feedback. GOODLUCK everyone!!! :)

Last edited:
First time posting... Just signed up yesterday to re-take on 4/29. Time to figure out how to work full time and study for this test AGAIN. :xf:

argh. Oh and maybe have fun sometimes too. Are any of you re-taking on this day? Where do you find your studying is best focused?

Also planning to take 29th, but just keep on falling behind. My original date was March. Still haven't registered exactly for this reason. I'm using TPRH really old ed. and EK 1001 practice. Have yet to take a practice test, I want to get the material review done and over w/ hopefully by the end of March, and just do tests in April. Feeling drained and ovrwhelmed w/ everything...help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also planning to take 29th, but just keep on falling behind. My original date was March. Still haven't registered exactly for this reason. I'm using TPRH really old ed. and EK 1001 practice. Have yet to take a practice test, I want to get the material review done and over w/ hopefully by the end of March, and just do tests in April. Feeling drained and ovrwhelmed w/ everything...help!

I feel your pain, just keep holding on!

Haha I think everyone's feeling overwhelmed, exhausted and stressed... :(. Just keep remembering it's only 2 more months, and if we all work hard enough... the next step is MED SCHOOL :).
I'm not sure if this will help anyone but...
I took a princeton review class last spring, and now I'm studying on my own with examkrackers and doing extra questions and passages from my old TPR books. examkrackers breaks it down and makes simpler ways to find answers. Although I would supplement TPR or other material along with genetics and some physics so far, I feel examkrackers is amazing! Before, solving physics problems was a pain for me and took sometime, examkrackers breaks it down and makes it simpler for me to understand and come to the correct answer. I highly recommend it so far, but then again I'm only a few weeks in.
Goodluck again everyone! :)

Haha I think everyone's feeling overwhelmed, exhausted and stressed... :(. Just keep remembering it's only 2 more months, and if we all work hard enough... the next step is MED SCHOOL :).
I'm not sure if this will help anyone but...
I took a princeton review class last spring, and now I'm studying on my own with examkrackers and doing extra questions and passages from my old TPR books. examkrackers breaks it down and makes simpler ways to find answers. Although I would supplement TPR or other material along with genetics and some physics so far, I feel examkrackers is amazing! Before, solving physics problems was a pain for me and took sometime, examkrackers breaks it down and makes it simpler for me to understand and come to the correct answer. I highly recommend it so far, but then again I'm only a few weeks in.
Goodluck again everyone! :)

I think some of the EK answers in their workbooks aren't deep enough. If anything, that's my biggest complaint so far. For physics, anyway.

i'm taking my mcat on april 29th too!! almost 1.5 months to go :) good luck everyone!

@believe I know I am lol very late and overlooked this reply but I haven't started full length tests yet but I will towards the end of the month, the goal is the week of the 26th! Hopefully sooner but I've been having a hard time getting through the material because if I don't understand a concept, instead of moving on I stay on it until I grasp it because I know I will see it again. Rather take care of my weaknesses upfront then wait later on when time isn't on my side.

I am kind of in the same boat but my problem is that I don't have that much patience to keep reviewing the material over and over again till I completely understand it. I pray this doesn't backfire; Im just really concerned about how the date is fast approaching and want to move as fast as possible. I plan on taking a full length this week, which will start as a diagnostic...Well, Goodluck to us :luck:

well...I'm officially getting a little nervous here. I have not opened a book for the last 4-5 days but I have been watching MCAT videos:rolleyes:...I think it's just the weight of several weeks of studying on my back. I am determined to regain momentum starting today. Maybe I needed it, it had become increasingly difficult for me to concentrate but after this mini break I feel refocused...does anyone else feel like that at times? Good luck to all.

I am kind of in the same boat but my problem is that I don't have that much patience to keep reviewing the material over and over again till I completely understand it. I pray this doesn't backfire; Im just really concerned about how the date is fast approaching and want to move as fast as possible. I plan on taking a full length this week, which will start as a diagnostic...Well, Goodluck to us :luck:

I'm in the same boat too b/c 4/29 is around the corner which is somewhat stressful. But I know a lot of people said in the last month to really focus on doing passages and pay special attention to answers that you are repeatedly getting wrong. I know in the " The Berkeley Review Scores" thread there is a PDF in which TBR gives suggestions on how to attack passages in phases which I found to be very helpful. If I am not mistaken what I got from it was that during content review, work out a certain number of passages in which you take the time to list why an answer is wrong/ right based on your knowledge and passage in pencil. After that, you mark questions you missed in red pen to help you see a trend later on topics you may still need to review. At the end, you do the following questions you missed within a week to see if you truly understand the concepts asked in the passage. Hopefully that helps and Anki ( a program that generates flashcards based on recall) is very helpful too.

I'm thinking of pushing back my test but I will wait until the end of this month to get a better grasp of where I am.

Best wishes to everyone!

I'm thinking of pushing back my test but I will wait until the end of this month to get a better grasp of where I am.

Best wishes to everyone!

I am in the same boat. I'm starting FL's at the end of this month and if am not scoring near my target, I'm jumping ship for a May date.

Members don't see this ad :)
It might seem a little crazy but I have yet to a FL, I have just been reviewing notes (TPRH/EK) and doing all the 1001 problems. I don't score anything and just do the problems, review and analyze all questions and answer stems, right and wrong . It seems to be sinking in, but we'll see soon enough. I'm almost done w all the material, and plan to do all of April FL only.
I took the MCAT 6 years ago and didn't do well, I focused on scores and check marking the chapters read, took a ton of notes...that approach did not do me well! So this time around I am mostly about practice problems and really knowing the test itself as opposed to the material in it alone.
Maybe next w/e I'll try AAMC 3...i admit I'm scared of the results.

should i push mine a month later to may? what are the disadvantages and would i applying a little late?

May is not late by most standards. Take a few FL's and gauge your progress. If you don't like where you are scoring then go for May. That is my plan.

Ok so am about 2/3 the way through a TPR course and I feel like I have a Majority of the concepts down. I feel like they are not that difficult. I feel like I could use them to answer the Q's. This will be my second time preparing for the MCAT, since the first time I did all concept review and bombed the test. So with the course and the large amount of homework that comes with it I feel like I am getting better at knowing the test. BUT I am doing worse on my TPR diagnostics then I did on the real MCAT from last July. I have tanked both of the first two TPR diagnostics!! I got an 18 on both!! WTF! I am getting really worried about my ability to take this test. I am running out of ideas to help myself. I could've been a little more diligent in my first month with the self studying but still I shouldn't be making 18s on any ptest. I didn't do nowhere near that bad on the first go around. ANY words of encouragment or advise would be more than tremendously appreciated!!!!!!! :( :mad: :( :scared:

Ok so am about 2/3 the way through a TPR course and I feel like I have a Majority of the concepts down. I feel like they are not that difficult. I feel like I could use them to answer the Q's. This will be my second time preparing for the MCAT, since the first time I did all concept review and bombed the test. So with the course and the large amount of homework that comes with it I feel like I am getting better at knowing the test. BUT I am doing worse on my TPR diagnostics then I did on the real MCAT from last July. I have tanked both of the first two TPR diagnostics!! I got an 18 on both!! WTF! I am getting really worried about my ability to take this test. I am running out of ideas to help myself. I could've been a little more diligent in my first month with the self studying but still I shouldn't be making 18s on any ptest. I didn't do nowhere near that bad on the first go around. ANY words of encouragment or advise would be more than tremendously appreciated!!!!!!! :( :mad: :( :scared:

How are you going about answering ?s Are you timing yourself? Are you taking the time to figure out POE?

I am trying to use POE as much as possible. But it usually goes down to two or three and I guess I just pick the wrong ones.

I am trying to use POE as much as possible. But it usually goes down to two or three and I guess I just pick the wrong ones.

Why are you picking the wrong one once you have POE'd? I may sound oversimplistic but really, sit down and think why you are not hitting the right one. Are you pressed for time? do you not undertsand the wording of the question? are the concepts fuzzy? or maybe try asking not why you are picking the wrong ones but why you are NOT picking the right one, that is, is there a specific kind of questions/passages/topic that gets you all the time? Maybe the answer lies there. It kinda sounds like your issue is test logistics more than content, but you are your best judge. Do a really conscious post-game on a couple of FL's and then see if you improve. Good luck, keep us posted.

guys, I think everything might just be alright. Signs of horizontal growth is evident, went from a 23-->31-->34-37 average over the last 6 weeks on FL practice exams (TPR). Stick in there, don't cut corners, and when the @#% hits the fan, be like a navy seal and have the confidence to fall back on your training.

That is AWESOME! I really needed to hear it but during that period how did you go about timing yourself? But congrats!

Why are you picking the wrong one once you have POE'd? I may sound oversimplistic but really, sit down and think why you are not hitting the right one. Are you pressed for time? do you not undertsand the wording of the question? are the concepts fuzzy? or maybe try asking not why you are picking the wrong ones but why you are NOT picking the right one, that is, is there a specific kind of questions/passages/topic that gets you all the time? Maybe the answer lies there. It kinda sounds like your issue is test logistics more than content, but you are your best judge. Do a really conscious post-game on a couple of FL's and then see if you improve. Good luck, keep us posted.

I agree that will be helpful! I remember my Bio TPR teacher said there are three types of questions ( not the exact wording) which are the following:

1) Memory (Freebies)
2) Passage Related
3) Complex ( Passage + Memory)

Whenever you are working a passage, you should always look for questions that are unrelated to the passage which are " Freebies". Most of the time in a passage there is always at least one-two questions you can answer without looking at the passage. Then you should answer passage related questions which may ask you to look at a table/ graph/ figure. After that then you should answer the complex passage and from what my teacher told me by then you should have a better grasp of the passage based on the questions you've already answered. A lot of my teachers said you shouldn't spend more than two minutes reading the passage. Depending on the subject, always highlight formulas, ratios, or anything that alerts you of a concept you may have covered (i.e. buoyancy). Also, a tip that was helpful for me is when I skimmed the passage, I always ask myself, " What topic/s is this related to?" ( i.e. Cellular Respiration, or Projectile Motion, and etc). Please know that I am still working at the kinks but these things have been helpful, especially asking myself what topic is this passage related to because it helps you shift gear and recall certain equations or concepts. Hopes this helps!

It was probably the result of a few things, like A) getting comfortable with the testing experience B) doing all practice under timed conditions with strict 8 minute limits and a stopwatch C) memorizing checkpoints in the countdown, such as the 1st passage in VR needs to be completed by 52', second by 44', etc. D) for verbal, never rereading confusing lines

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Unfortunately I had to re-schedule for June but I am more confident that this will be better for me. I will still stop by and see how everyone is doing! Best wishes!

No, don't waste your time/money even researching them. Terrible. Get TBR instead.

Yes, I know scores above a 36 are luck every time, I've taken enough tests to know that by now, but my range was 33-39, and I really didn't feel comfortable with the lower end of the spectrum. In other words, if I can get 36 any day, any test, any time, I will feel comfortable.

Status: I'm quickly remembering the material I had learned from the summer and forgot over the fall semester. I'd say 75% of where I once was. Averaging 10 hours study/day, 8 hours sleep,daily aerobic workout; all is going according to plan. No shortcuts from here on out; I want to turn into a machine.

Changes: added Omega-3 supplements, multi-vitamin, extra B6, and 200 mg time release caffeine to diet, along with slow-metabolizing oats (oatmeal) every 4 hours.

LMAO. I bought the tests before you posted a response. I got 11p and 10b on the real thing and I average 7-8s on GS... T_T FML.

I have tried to go back over my mistakes. I am having trouble with the passage skills in general. I can do freestanding questions all day and get usually about 90% correct in my homework. Then thinking I've got it down Ill move on to the passage based and usually have like 3 or 4 passages (out of 10) that I just bomb. I am usually missing over half on the ones I tank. After looking over It I easily understand how I got it wrong but I have yet to fix the problem on new passages. I am thinking the only thing that can help is PRACTICE. So my plan is to do as many problems as I can between now and the MCAT. Hopefully Ill work out all the kinks. Do you think it is possible to go from a 18 on TPR to a 30 avg in a month and a half? Or am I screwed?

I have tried to go back over my mistakes. I am having trouble with the passage skills in general. I can do freestanding questions all day and get usually about 90% correct in my homework. Then thinking I've got it down Ill move on to the passage based and usually have like 3 or 4 passages (out of 10) that I just bomb. I am usually missing over half on the ones I tank. After looking over It I easily understand how I got it wrong but I have yet to fix the problem on new passages. I am thinking the only thing that can help is PRACTICE. So my plan is to do as many problems as I can between now and the MCAT. Hopefully Ill work out all the kinks. Do you think it is possible to go from a 18 on TPR to a 30 avg in a month and a half? Or am I screwed?

I think you need to go over the areas you're lacking. How long did you do content review and how did you go about it? A month and a half is a strecth and I don't think you want to stress yourself out. You have all the tools you need to do well, it's a matter of how well you use them! Best wishes!

Hello everyone! I just changed my date from April 16th to April 29th!! lol so hellooooooooo!!! Took the Kaplan FL#2 today and got PS: 8 VR:7 BS: 11 (woot!). A month to get over a 30!! woot!!

time to get hardcore. got the visual aid dvds and the official aamc study guide. aiming for a 35! :zip:

37 Days!

This will be round 2 for me. I'm doing SN2ed's 4 month plan and I am taking my first FL tomorrow. I'm pretty dang nervous.

37 Days!

This will be round 2 for me. I'm doing SN2ed's 4 month plan and I am taking my first FL tomorrow. I'm pretty dang nervous.

Good luck!! I've only taking 2 FL's (kaplan) in the first one I got a 21 (boo!) and a 26th (PS:8 VR:7 BS:11) on the second one! So don't get too discouraged if you don't good so great. Just keep practicing and reviewing what you did wrong and reviewing content if you need to so hopefully by then you'll have (we'll have) a couple of FLs with +30 on them! :)

Hey guys just checking in. I was wondering what everyone's plan is for the last month. I get the concensus that it is all fl's and review and correcting weaknesses. I am pretty sure that is what i am going to do. I feel like I am little shaking in some aspects of my concepts despite having practiced at my weak areas. I have been doing good about keeping up with the studying for the most part but I do admit I have took some time to myself. The only scores I have got on practice TPR diagnostics are two 18's woohoo :(. I am going to take another one this friday and see where I stand. Plus I feel like my verbal could use some practice. Is anyone else doing well with verbal for the most part but just completely tanking one passage out of six. I have done that twice now and am not sure If my brain is just shutting off at ramdom or what. The ones I tank do not seem so difficult lol. But I am thinking about jumping ship for a May 20ish date. Only because I am not sure if I can get to my 30+ target in one month from where I am. I am going to try like hell though, so good luck to all and keepa Truckin!!!

Doing good, been putting in at least 8 hours a day, seven days a week. AAMC tests start in 1 week, both excited and nervous to see the product of my effort. My plans are as you mentioned, cbt's+review+cover holes. I have 35+ pages of essays to write for my classes, which I plan to do when I'm burnt out after having taken a test.

essays:thumbdown: working hardcore:thumbup:

Which DVD's?

How's the AAMC guide?

The visual aid dvds are really good in my opinion, especially the physical sciences and biology. Just have to make sure I am following the concepts and not just watching the people talk. The dvd came with a comprehensive study guide but I lost it already.
The AAMC guide is helpful if you can spare the extra $35.

37 Days!

This will be my second time taking the exam also. I took it over a year ago and scored in the high 20s. Only got one interview, so I am shooting for a score in the 30s this time. Hoping to get more than one interview this Fall:cool:

Hi everyone! I am taking it the 29th also. I'm a little worried though. So far I've taken Kaplan FL 1,2 and 3 (today). FL1: PS:8,VR:7, BS:9; FL 2: PS:10,VR:8,BS:9 and today I only did 2/3 sections of FL3 because I had to leave for an appointment (PS:8, VR:8).

My main problem seems to be that I am running out of time in PS and VR! I really want to get my scores up to +30 by test day but am really frustrated with my timing :confused: Does anyone have a strategy to getting through PS in a timely manner?

Hope everyone's studying is going well!:p

Hi everyone! I am taking it the 29th also. I'm a little worried though. So far I've taken Kaplan FL 1,2 and 3 (today). FL1: PS:8,VR:7, BS:9; FL 2: PS:10,VR:8,BS:9 and today I only did 2/3 sections of FL3 because I had to leave for an appointment (PS:8, VR:8).

My main problem seems to be that I am running out of time in PS and VR! I really want to get my scores up to +30 by test day but am really frustrated with my timing :confused: Does anyone have a strategy to getting through PS in a timely manner?

Hope everyone's studying is going well!:p

If you have more Kaplan practice tests, I would first go over the problems you are missing and critically analyze what you are getting wrong and right to see your thought practice. Also, continue pushing and timing yourself while completing VR and PS sections in tests. Do as many as you can and then complete a full practice test. Make sure you aren't spending more than 1:25/ 1:30 minutes on a question and maybe you should time yourself to see how long it takes you to answer a question. Best wishes and keep us updated on what works best for you!

Hey Kmanotas! I'm having the exact same problems as you and similar scores. I've taken kaplan Fl#1: PS:7 VR: 7 BS:7 FL#2: PS:8 VR:7 BS:11. I realized during the test that what slows me down in PS is that I didn't have the concepts down cold. I've been reviewing and I'm taking #3 on saturday. For verbal, is a matter of reading faster. I take forever to read. May be the same thing is happening to you so consider reviewing PS and practice practice verbal. Good luck!

Ok so I have taken a total of 3 TPR FL's now. First one (8bs, 5vr, 5ps), second one (6bs, 7vr, 5ps) and the last one I took on friday (10bs, 7vr, 9ps). I am happy and very relieved to finally see an increase in my scores. I felt better when working the test too. I got down to the last ps passage and had like 13mins left so I just took my time while thinking it was the last set of questions but no. I ended up guessing on the last five freestanding questions and ironically got 2 out of 3 the ones I truely guessed and 0 out of 2 the ones I tried to speed read lol. I still got a 9 in ps which is encouraging. My verbal still sucks and I plan on working on it for the rest of the month until the exam. I still have not finished all my content review so should I keep working at that and just do practice test once a week??? Or just skip the rest of content review and do nothing but FL's??? I have taken the test before and the first time I did nothing but content review with very little actually practice. So this time around I feel like all I need is a little bit of review with some dedicated practice to each topic. I just don't know if I can finish my content review and then also take enough FL's to get to my 30+ range. Any advise from you fine folks would be greatly appreciated. Considering pushing back until May.

not finished with content either. but i plan to take practice test every other day, review mistakes on that other day. when i'm not doing tests or review, i'm finishing up content. my opinion is if you are more than 75% done with content review, put your main focus on the FL's and then fill in the content gaps as you go. gl comrade:thumbup::thumbup:

Aggravation...

All the NY 4/29 seats are filled. I'm wondering if seats start to open up as the test day approaches and people start to cancel or reschedule. Anyone else in this predicament?

Aggravation...

All the NY 4/29 seats are filled. I'm wondering if seats start to open up as the test day approaches and people start to cancel or reschedule. Anyone else in this predicament?

With four test dates available in May there will definitely be people who jump ship on their 4/29 date and reschedule. Just check the website often, you can definitely get a seat.

With four test dates available in May there will definitely be people who jump ship on their 4/29 date and reschedule. Just check the website often, you can definitely get a seat.

This definitely..I was scheduled for the April 16th MCAT and I checked for about a week for spots on the 29th or May 7th and nothing. Until one day both were open lol. Keep checking.

How are you guys doing? :) I will start hitting the practice tests hard on Sunday this week. So far I've taken only 2. Until then I'm doing the Kaplan topical tests which I find are great to review all the calculations and stuff we gotta know for the PS section.

Until then I'm doing the Kaplan topical tests which I find are great to review all the calculations and stuff we gotta know for the PS section.

Do you think the numbers they use are a bit unrealistic at times? Sometimes I find that what the problems themselves are appropriate but the numbers that Kaplan uses are not like the practice tests. That is, the answer choices are so close that estimating values is not good enough and using the exact numbers to calculate by hand takes a long time. Or maybe it's just me :(

It's not you! lol I feel the same way. I think definitely most of the calculations on the topical tests are not to be made by hand, like you might need a calculator. I try to do most of them by hand but some of them I don't really bother cuz I know we wouldn't get something like that on the real thing.

Have you done most of the tests? What percentage of right answers have you been getting?. I've only done some of the general chem/physics ones and gotten from 68-73% right. I got a low 52.17% percent just now on the force/gravity one but it's definitely because I'm burned out. Hence, this post lol!

I've only done Bio and Gen Chem topical tests. I did all the Bio first, the first few went pretty terribly because I hadn't gotten the hang of it. Bio range 57%-100%. Chem is 78%-95% (5/7 topicals, still have Acids & Bases and Electrochem to do). I'll be moving on to Physics in the next day or so and that's my weakest subject so we'll see how that goes.

I'm not timing myself though. I'm using the topical tests to reinforce topics and get the hang of test questions. Multiple full lengths are what I'm looking to for pacing. I always have a good amount of time left for the BS section, it's the PS section that worries me.

Same here. I don't know if I'll be doing the Bio ones because I wanna jump into the FL's already.

I'm doing only physics and general chem so far because they're my weakest subjects too and I wanna reinforce my knowledge and see what I'm missing so I can review and do better

I also have free time on the BS but always end up rushing at the end on PS. I guess we'll have to practice practice practice lol!. Good luck! :)

Ok so I have taken a total or four fl's now. 1st(18C), 2nd(18C), 3rd 26C-(10bs, 9ps, 7vr), and the last one from sat 24C-(10bs, 7ps!, 7vr). I dropped two whole points in physical science. I know what I did wrong and I missed eight out of the first 10 due to the first two passages being quite confusing. I am just getting worried again since I think my average is a mid 20's which is alot lower than the 30+ target. We dont have much time left and I am starting to think that I am not going to improve too much. I have recently started ek101 to inc my verbal so I think I will be able to curve that up if I keep at it. But does anyone have any advise on how to nail down physics and chem. I have read all of my TPR chem and physics books and done about 90% of the correlated practice in the TPR science workbook. I feel like I know it all and have no problem recalling the formulas and making relations but somethings I just go about completely the wrong way and do horrible. I havent taken any aamc fl's yet and I am alit scared to since Im not sure what I'll get. The four above are all TPR diagnostics. So how can I nail down the physics and chem more within the next three weeks and should I push back to may?? any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Ok so I have taken a total or four fl's now. 1st(18C), 2nd(18C), 3rd 26C-(10bs, 9ps, 7vr), and the last one from sat 24C-(10bs, 7ps!, 7vr). I dropped two whole points in physical science. I know what I did wrong and I missed eight out of the first 10 due to the first two passages being quite confusing. I am just getting worried again since I think my average is a mid 20's which is alot lower than the 30+ target. We dont have much time left and I am starting to think that I am not going to improve too much. I have recently started ek101 to inc my verbal so I think I will be able to curve that up if I keep at it. But does anyone have any advise on how to nail down physics and chem. I have read all of my TPR chem and physics books and done about 90% of the correlated practice in the TPR science workbook. I feel like I know it all and have no problem recalling the formulas and making relations but somethings I just go about completely the wrong way and do horrible. I havent taken any aamc fl's yet and I am alit scared to since Im not sure what I'll get. The four above are all TPR diagnostics. So how can I nail down the physics and chem more within the next three weeks and should I push back to may?? any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with Etorphine, sounds like you are not ready just yet. Remember that next admin in May is not late yet. I might actually do the same depending on my FL's starting on the 7th

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply, was out of the country on a medical mission. So today I took my first AAMC test (#8) and got a 28 (PS:11,VR:7(boo),BS:10).

My timing for PS was a lot better than previous Kaplan tests but that 7 in VR killed me (still had to randomly guess on a whole passage).

Does anyone have any insight for AAMC 8. I noticed I get really tired going into BS. Am thinking of rescheduling to a morning test but that would mean pushing it to MAy 7 :(

What do you guys think?