The Official 4/5/12 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's kind of already a thread, but this is the official one ;)

I'm registered at 1PM (I think the only time offered on 4/5?) and this is a retake for me.

Using a variation of SN2ed's 3 month schedule (109 days) and started studying a few days ago.

Members don't see this ad.

10 and 11 were a change of pace from the previous ones, Good luck!

AAMC 10 - 12/10/13
You're right that it was different. And geez, that scale is rough! I got -4 on PS & BS and got 12 & 13. Oh well, I'm not complaining! I am seeing a downward trend in PS scores though...7 (15), 8 (14), 9 (13), 10 (12)...I hope this doesn't continue for the real deal!

I'm in the same boat as you, I cannot seem to break 30 either and it's beyond frustrating. But I did my best on AAMC 11 so far so hopefully the same goes for you. Best of luck !

Keep working at it! It'll come! I was in the exact same boat the first time around.

Took the last practice Kaplan I had today and some how nailed a 15/11/14... Lets hope that can carry into AAMC 11 tomorrow. I would be thrilled with a 30 on the real one so I don't know how I scored that high

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the last practice Kaplan I had today and some how nailed a 15/11/14... Lets hope that can carry into AAMC 11 tomorrow. I would be thrilled with a 30 on the real one so I don't know how I scored that high

I thought AAMC practice exams were a lot easier than Kaplan exams. Yet the AAMC practice exams were also a lot easier than my real MCAT exam.

AAMC 10 - 12/10/13
You're right that it was different. And geez, that scale is rough! I got -4 on PS & BS and got 12 & 13. Oh well, I'm not complaining! I am seeing a downward trend in PS scores though...7 (15), 8 (14), 9 (13), 10 (12)...I hope this doesn't continue for the real deal!

Yea, my AAMC 10 and AAMC 11 scores were higher than my average, but the tests seemed significantly more difficult than AAMC 3-9. I guess the greater (perceived) difficulty made me more careful than on previous tests, or maybe (hopefully!) I'm peaking right before the real thing.

I thought AAMC practice exams were a lot easier than Kaplan exams. Yet the AAMC practice exams were also a lot easier than my real MCAT exam.

I sure hope Thursday's isn't too much harder than the AAMC practice tests.

doing those TBR bio diagnostics tonight even though I doubt i'll be learning anything new. Then the official guide passages tomorrow...

Yea, my AAMC 10 and AAMC 11 scores were higher than my average, but the tests seemed significantly more difficult than AAMC 3-9. I guess the greater (perceived) difficulty made me more careful than on previous tests, or maybe (hopefully!) I'm peaking right before the real thing.

I sure hope Thursday's isn't too much harder than the AAMC practice tests.

Sigh, scored my lowest out of all the practice exams on AAMC 11. Less and less confident before the real deal! Scored an 11/11/12. Anyone have a similar experience? My AAMC average is a 36.8.

Thats how I felt the first time around. The real one significantly harder than anything I saw before. So naturally I freaked

Sigh, scored my lowest out of all the practice exams on AAMC 11. Less and less confident before the real deal! Scored an 11/11/12. Anyone have a similar experience? My AAMC average is a 36.8.

Hey that's exactly what I got :)

I'm in the same boat as you, I cannot seem to break 30 either and it's beyond frustrating. But I did my best on AAMC 11 so far so hopefully the same goes for you. Best of luck !

Thank you, good luck to you too :)
My best was on the 5th or 7th one, I think. I got my average score on AAMC 11. I'm reviewing it right now, and again most of my mistakes are things that I could have gotten right. At least, that lets me know that I do know the material and hopefully when the adrenaline kicks on Thursday I'll do better... I usually work better under pressure. Hopefully :S

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, good luck to you too :)
My best was on the 5th or 7th one, I think. I got my average score on AAMC 11. I'm reviewing it right now, and again most of my mistakes are things that I could have gotten right. At least, that lets me know that I do know the material and hopefully when the adrenaline kicks on Thursday I'll do better... I usually work better under pressure. Hopefully :S

I just took AAMC 10 today and got my average score too. Lots of simple mistakes and not going with the gut feeling in the first place. A light review tomorrow will help before the big day hopefully. But I agree, the adrenaline helps!...except on verbal for me. Nothing seems to help my verbal :) haha

Good luck to everyone on the MCAT this Thursday. Feeling a little apprehensive with my latest AAMC 11 scores (8/9/9) since I've been averaging (9/10-11/10) but hoping that I'll be more careful with the real exam.

Kaplan scores consistently put me at a 10 for PS but I haven't once got that score on the AAMC test (always off by 2 or 3 questions). Any chance I can expect to receive a 10 on game day, maybeeee?

Everyone on this thread seems to have ridiculously high scores - maybe I'm testing with the wrong cohort here ;)

Haha I think what you have to realize is that a few of us here are retakers that have already been through the battle once. So we know what we're looking for and what the real deal is like. I'm sure everyone will be fine on the real deal. All a matter of preparation and a bit of luck :)

Haha I think what you have to realize is that a few of us here are retakers that have already been through the battle once. So we know what we're looking for and what the real deal is like. I'm sure everyone will be fine on the real deal. All a matter of preparation and a bit of luck :)

Yea, the only mystery for us retakers is what questions will show up on the test.

Anyway, spending the rest of tonight watching a movie with my girlfriend and doing much of the same tomorrow. I might do some EK 1001 tomorrow as well, but that's it. Not going to burnout for Thursday!

When'd you last take it cfive? How did it compare to the AAMC's

I took the test the first time on September 2. It was spot on with my average, but I held out hope that I had done better on the test than I really did. My AAMC averages the first time around were PS 10, V 9.6, BS 10.25 for an average score of 29.875. My actual score was a PS 9, V 9, BS 12 for a 30R. Thought I did better on the PS & Verbal than I actually did so here I am again :thumbdown:

I'm hoping my averages hold true for this time around...PS 13, V 11, BS 12.8 for a total of 36.8. :thumbup:

Yea, the only mystery for us retakers is what questions will show up on the test.

Anyway, spending the rest of tonight watching a movie with my girlfriend and doing much of the same tomorrow. I might do some EK 1001 tomorrow as well, but that's it. Not going to burnout for Thursday!

Good idea brotha! I think I'm just going to go over my flashcards tomorrow and that will be the end of that. Almost done going over the BS of AAMC 11!

Ridiculously awesome, but didn't you get anywhere with a 30R?

I didn't even try applying with my score because I knew I could do better. I didn't feel ready for the first test...however, the pressure of school starting up and it being close to the last date that the MCAT would be administered for the year forced me into a decision. I told myself on test day that I would veto if I thought it was too hard. PS & V made me feel like I would get a 33 or so on the test but didn't happen.

I have to say, I'm a bit pissed at AAMC at the moment. I'm going over BS on AAMC 11 right now and I just finished reading over the experiment regarding the secretory lysosomes. In the chart, why the heck would they give us the data in that manner? And by "that manner" I mean listing the killing of the CTLs as a wild type effect and partial albinism as a mutated effect? I'm stunned...because when I was taking the exam, I was pressed for time and I mistakenly thought that killing of CTLs was the mutated effect and got 2 questions wrong because of it. I mean...if anyone has watched Get Him to the Greek, P Diddy says it perfectly. They're "mind effing" us. They're giving us a load of charts and graphs (and btw, on the real thing, they give you even MORE convoluted charts) and daring us to get through their tactics. I feel like the AAMC test writers are so...sigh. sdalkgjsa:thumbdown:

Sorry I've been gone from the thread! I was at a conference in Baltimore over the weekend and went to my fiance's grandmother's house in Nowhere, Virginia with her and didn't have internet. I haven't studied nearly as much over the last couple weeks as I wanted to. Took AAMC 11 tonight--like many of you I had my lowest score (33). But I also was being a fool and didn't even finish the PS section (got an 8) and was interrupted a bit during verbal.

So despite that lowest score I'm still feeling relatively confident going into the exam. I'm going to look over some PS stuff tomorrow in a very relaxed fashion, just read over some sections that I never got the chance to really practice.

Just remember to be confident everyone! I can't wait to get back here and hear about how well everyone did :)

I am so ready for this test to be over with! I keep getting discouraged with the AAMC's, even though my scores are for the most part within my target range, because there keeps being random facts or one equation that I didn't know that messed me up for some problems. I feel like I will never know everything I need to know, but that I am in pretty good shape for Thursday! Just praying PS isn't too terrible.

Best of luck to everyone! Let's kick the s*** out of this test!!

dap, could you tell me how you are approaching the questions in the sciences? You obviously have a very high analytical ability after hearing your verbal scores. Are you retaining equations, working the problems, or relying mainly on the passage info and test taking skillls, etc?

I have a strong verbal as well, but it's been a long time since I've had the basic sciences. I rescheduled to May 19th to give me some more practice time for the actual exam.

You do not want to use me as your model for taking this test :)

At this point I am generally relying on what I remember from my prereq's, a tiny bit of studying info, and much more on passage info and test taking skills. I do NOT recommend this. While you can get a lot of the questions right on this exam from reasoning ability, the fact is there is a good amount of conceptual need-to-know content. Make sure you memorize the basic formulas (gas laws, electric stuff, etc) know what all the units of measurement mean (watts, joules, amps, etc), and practice the hell out of the math.

I still don't know a ton of the formulas or what all of the units mean, and have done much less math than I should have. If you're like me you won't have trouble figuring out what they are asking about, and if you remember the equation you won't have a problem manipulating it, and you can gather the more basic parts from the passage. But even then you need to be able to do the math quickly and accurately.

I'm a little disappointed in myself and how I prepared at this point, and I think if I had really taken time away from all of these other things I'm busy with and studied more of this stuff I would be confidently looking at high 30s or better. I don't think there's any good reason for someone who can score consistently high on verbal to not score extremely well on the other sections. As it is, I'm hoping to rely on what little I have picked up and analytical reasoning to hit a 34.

So learn from my mistakes--if you want to crush it, make sure you can recall the big formulas, units, and most basic physical concepts. Practice so much math. If your verbal is already strong don't study more for it, it isn't going to go down and you're probably in the land of diminishing returns. If you have the basic stuff memorized for the PS and BS sections, combined with the ability to think through and glean info from the passage, you should dominate the test.

Is anyone else really weak at random experiment analysis? I mean I'm not bad at it...it's just when they give so many different variables, I don't know how to take it all in. Any strategies that you guys use to really get to the nitty gritty of what they want you to know?

Lovely woke up feeling sick... well this should be interesting. I am doing some light review today. Cramming through undergrad always worked well for me. So going through index cards and over the Kaplan quick sheets!

Good luck guys, we got this!!

Same here. Just reinforcing the basics today and getting ready for tomorrow with flash cards. My AAMC dropped on 11 as well. My high was a 42 low had been a 40 until 11 and got a 38. The cytokines passage and ebov passage got me in bio, the verbal seemed easier to me. Physics was physics.

You guys hitting flashcards in the morning before the test or taking it easy?

Last edited:
Same here. Just reinforcing the basics today and getting ready for tomorrow with flash cards. My AAMC dropped on 11 as well. My high was a 42 low had been a 40 until 11 and got a 38. The cytokines passage and ebov passage got me in bio, the verbal seemed easier to me. Physics was physics.
Great scores! You're good to go! Goodluck!

whats everyones snack/break strategy for the test tomorrow?

I plan to have a late breakfast, pound a starbucks doubleshot 20 min prior and granola bars and altoids (wake me up for verbal) on first break, then granola bar again for lazy essay, and then a spritz of coffee for my last break and altoid again for wake up. This is my routine, worked great thus far.

I plan to have a late breakfast, pound a starbucks doubleshot 20 min prior and granola bars and altoids (wake me up for verbal) on first break, then granola bar again for lazy essay, and then a spritz of coffee for my last break and altoid again for wake up. This is my routine, worked great thus far.

you should watch out with all that coffee, may have to use the restroom one too many times during the exam and may lose time on a section!

By the time you are up to the Biology passage on the kidney you might have to pee! :eek:

Folks, tomorrow test is NO MORE than another FL you have been taken the past few weeks.

You have been there and done that.

Believe in yourself, fire up! Come back to tell us good stories, OK :love:

Good Luck to everyone!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Good luck tomorrow! And by luck, I mean I hope you get passage topics you like. You don't need any other luck than that because you are ready!

Thanks everyone! Does anyone have a quick checklist of good things to bring? Just wondering so I don't miss anything (gatorade, granola bars, ect)

I'm packing food like I"m going camping, because I'm always exhausted/hungry by the bio section--and that's with barely taking the writing. So I'm gonna be ready for that!

Today I'm just going to write a better, organised physics equation sheet to memorize. And go over flashcards, I guess. I'm over this. Let's rock it guys!!!!!!! :)

Good idea brotha! I think I'm just going to go over my flashcards tomorrow and that will be the end of that. Almost done going over the BS of AAMC 11!

Folks, tomorrow test is NO MORE than another FL you have been taken the past few weeks.

Thanks, you too!

You have been there and done that.

Believe in yourself, fire up! Come back to tell us good stories, OK :love:

Great post, thank you.

Good Luck to everyone!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Your fingers and an ID.

:thumbup:

Good luck everyone!

I'm packing food like I"m going camping, because I'm always exhausted/hungry by the bio section--and that's with barely taking the writing. So I'm gonna be ready for that!

Today I'm just going to write a better, organised physics equation sheet to memorize. And go over flashcards, I guess. I'm over this. Let's rock it guys!!!!!!! :)

Do what I did take a mini nap during the writing section :laugh:

Just finished my exam. Did anyone else think that the verbal section was really difficult? I mean REALLY hard. I hope it's not just me and that there will be a nice curve on that section.

Just finished my exam. Did anyone else think that the verbal section was really difficult? I mean REALLY hard. I hope it's not just me and that there will be a nice curve on that section.

how about the other sections? was the content distribution even? or was it more towards heavy in a certain topic? did you need to know a lot of formulas off the top of your head? was there a TON of background knowledge needed or was a lot of it found in the passage? try to be as descriptive as possible without giving out question specifics though.

I thought PS was ridiculously hard with few simple questions (~15), but tough overall. I voided. In January I got 12 in PS. Didn`t want to risk...

Have to retake damn...

I thought PS was ridiculously hard with few simple questions (~15), but tough overall. I voided. In January I got 12 in PS. Didn`t want to risk...

Have to retake damn...

:( you voided? I'm really sorry to hear that man, was it that hard? What were you averaging on AAMC's?