The Official 5/22/2010 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dyingduck

Nude Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We're in the final stretch of our MCAT studying and preparation.

Feel free to share your current practice scores and progress, keep up friendly discussion, and motivate each other!

Good luck to all :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have started studying too for my May test date. My schedule is like this: on Monday I skim the chapters of the subjects I will review for that week and the remaining days of the week I set for the individual subjects Bio (Tues), Physics (Wed), G. Chem (Thurs) and Verbal (Sat) on different days with practice questions. Then I will take a mini-MCAT or a practice test on Sat afternoon. I take breaks on Fri and Sun if I have been diligent all week. Its difficult sometimes when I have had a major project(s) due at work but I try to catch up on the weekend of what I missed. But I believe that regardless you can pull through and continue b/c this is your higher purpose. Good luck to everyone, everything will work out for the best no matter what.

I'm shooting to take the MCAT on 5/22 this year (dependent on practice exam scores as the date approaches, of course). I've started with daily VR practice, as well as going over what I call "memorizables". Otherwise, I'm devoting the first 4 weeks to physics, my weakest subject.

Have you started? What's your study plan like? Good luck to you! :)

For now, I am doing (no more than) 1-2 VR passages every day + reviews. The review time, ironically, takes 3x longer than the passages themselves. VR is by far my weakest subject.

I am planning to finish the whole organic chemistry content review first (EKs + TBRs) since I am also taking a course on Organic Chem III.

I will not go into "full MCAT mode" until March. I will follow a modified schedule from SN2ed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Woohoo! Glad I'm not the only one who is thinking SO far ahead. Registered yesterday. :) Nervous about how it's all going to turn out...

I'm actually enrolled in Kaplan, have been since Oct 09 because I graduated a few years back and thought I would need a good refresher. And I did/do! I am also following the 3/4 month plan that someone on a sticky had written, studying with BR books and EK books. I think they're much better for me since Kaplan (I believe) assumes you already know a lot before coming into Kaplan. I like Kaplan's practice stuff, except for Verbal. I use EK for that. I also work part time so following that plan precisely is not quite possible for me, so I just do my best. Hoping to start FL in end of March and do them through April. Hoping to get through most of AAMC ones and of course, all the required Kaplan stuff.

What are you guys doing?

Looks like this is the club for me! I ordered the EK Bio and Verbal materials to start looking through once they arrive and plan on getting TBR for chem and physics. Should be fun studying for this test with 15 hours next semester but I think it'll be fun! :luck:

I was going to take it in March or April but I decided to buy TBR books, so I am pushing it back to May and using SN2ed's schedule. I will start studying whenever my books get here - hopefully in a couple weeks!

I was going to take it in March or April but I decided to buy TBR books, so I am pushing it back to May and using SN2ed's schedule. I will start studying whenever my books get here - hopefully in a couple weeks!

Same here. But this is my second time. I bombed VR section completely the first time around. :( I'm hoping to really up my scores. Good luck, everyone!

i am starting my studying right now!

my schedule is so hectic, i wish i didn't commit to so many things.... : (
is 4 months enough to prep for the test and do well?

Mipp0 reporting, locked and loaded.

May 22nd MCAT...beware...

Studying is going...not so well : )

I started studying last night with physics.... ARRRG! I think this is going to be my weak spot.

4 months is fine for studying. I've heard many people say that you don't want to drag it out much more than 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
would you guys recommend that i get TBR books (which ones exactly)?
I have the whole EK series and all 1001/101 books.

Also Ill be taking princeton mcat course in march.

would you guys recommend that i get TBR books (which ones exactly)?
I have the whole EK series and all 1001/101 books.

Also Ill be taking princeton mcat course in march.

Hey, according to the consensus on this forum, the organic chemistry, general chemistry and (especially) physics TBR books are the best. If you get the physics BR books, make sure to get the 2010 edition.

What books are you guys using to study and review?

For me,

Biology: EK and EK 1001
O. chemistry: TBR
Physics: TBR
General Chemistry: TBR
Verbal: EK and EK 101

My MCAT progress thus far: Studying for the MCAT while taking a full course load is difficult!! :scared: I cannot wait to graduate in March...but for now...must...do...1-2 VR passages daily + o.chem...you guys should hold me accountable for this! :)

4 full months?

I have 3 course + volunteering and MCAT prep ongoing...

So far, I have review most of EK books and I keep forgetting stuff. So frustrating there...

Hey if I can do it, you can do it!

I have:
4 classes
Research
Rugby
MMA training
(planning to sign up for volunteering again)
Self study MCAT w/ EKs until TPR.

I also decided not to get the TBR because I have no money and I just read:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503250

to motivate myself : )

you guys can do it! Let's all rock the socks off in May!

Hey guys!!
I'm in too!! taking it on May 22nd at 1 pm. Lol it seems like it's tomorrow and I don't know sh**t.
I'm scareeed :scared::scared::scared:..I'm taking orgo I and physics I at school right now..plus volunteering, plus research plus a psych class (half the semester)!! plus TAing.. Plus I did a verbal passage from examcrackers and got 6..damn..
I got to set up myself a study schedule. :( I'm starting kaplan next week though so I'm supposing that's gonna help me focus!!
Good luck everyone!!:xf::xf::xf:

Hey guys!!
I'm in too!! taking it on May 22nd at 1 pm. Lol it seems like it's tomorrow and I don't know sh**t.
I'm scareeed :scared::scared::scared:..I'm taking orgo I and physics I at school right now..plus volunteering, plus research plus a psych class (half the semester)!! plus TAing.. Plus I did a verbal passage from examcrackers and got 6..damn..
I got to set up myself a study schedule. :( I'm starting kaplan next week though so I'm supposing that's gonna help me focus!!
Good luck everyone!!:xf::xf::xf:

Hey, don't worry. That's why we are all in this together, and we'll support each other until the very end. Besides, we have ~4 more months to go. Study hard and keep our mind on the "bigger picture" on why we have to put ourselves through this. :)

Remember, it is not how we manage our time but how we manage ourselves (which I fail miserably at :laugh:)

Good luck to everyone!

I graduated bio major in may (but took 5 years due to a 2 semester study abroad) and it has been quite a while since chem, orgo, and physics so needless to say I'm a little nervous. Didn't decide to go full steam ahead with the mcat until a few weeks ago so I've still been trying to get my study materials together and figure out a study plan that works best for me... I just dont know if i can do it with a full time job...

Anyone else a little overwhelmed?

Trying to decide which review books to spend my limited and valuable study time on has been the most frustrating part so far... I started with examkrackers gen chem and was thoroughly disappointed..The books seemed to be more of a marketing gimick than anything..... I like BR for gen chem but the content was a little dense so im sticking with TPR Hyperlearning for the content...

on a positive note, i took my first timed verbal (AAMC's free Practice test 3) and scored an 11..

Is that pretty good for not practicing yet cuz im worried about verbal?

Hey DD, what do you mean by this? I'm reading a book about managing your energy (instead of managing your time), and am constantly looking for ways to be more efficient + get more things done. :)

In theory, this is how I understand it:

Time = external
Yourself = internal

Everything you do, you want to have your circle of influence be "internal," things you can control.

By managing time, you are letting an external stimulus/factor taking control of yourself versus by managing yourself, you ARE the one in control. Of course, it, perhaps, may be all semantics or it may be just an perspective. But, let's try an example.

Instead of trying to plan your days in time slots, 8am wake up, 9-12 school, 7-9pm study...etc...you should focus your energy on doing the things that are needed to be done at best you can...trying your best.

Instead of setting a time to wake up, focus you energy in getting a good night sleep and sleeping early. Instead of devoting two hours of time to studying, focus in studying hard and doing your very best. You are the one in control, you dictate the energy not time.

As a counter example, if you manage your time, what if you end up taking longer than expected or what if there is an unforeseen consequence/factor? Then, you would be in a world of hurts.

Another example of energy devotion...
Let's say you allocated exactly two hours to finish a particular session in the MCAT...7-9PM. MOST LIKELY, you will EITHER dee-dee-doo-dee-doo and finish your MCAT study goal in 2 hours with ease OR cram for time and finish your MCAT study goal in exactly two hours to meet your "time deadline." You let an external stimulus control you: Either by filling the two hours with random distractions since your goal is so easy or OR cramming to meet the deadline.

The first case, you wasted time (since you have so much time to begin with). The second case, you rushed to study which will INDIRECTLY WASTE time in the future (since you will probably forget and have to repeat the materials).

By managing yourself, you try your best at everything you do - you give it your all...once...and only once...because you know you have already tried your best. You are in control not the clock. You may take longer than 2 hours OR you may take less than 2 hours but the point is that...you will never waste a minute.

OMGWTFBBQ I typed too much. Sorry if it doesn't make sense or if it is a bunch of gibberish...

Last edited:
It makes sense to me!!! I did another verbal and got an 8.The problem is the time..I'm still leaving questions unanswered. How are you guys doing?

Last edited:
To all you worry warts, I know a good number of people who studied for 2 months and got 35+, so no worries. They were balancing school (GPA boosters/easy courses) + research, and turned out OK.

Even crazier...they did this on EK books alone. Oh, and all the AAMC tests of course.

Not to say this is recommended. Just saying it's possible for a large number of people.

It makes sense to me!!! I did another verbal and got an 8.The problem is the time..I'm still leaving questions unanswered. How are you guys doing?

Hey, what I have been suggested that you should do the VR un-timed first then gradually decrease the amount of time you do take (especially when we are 3+ months away from D-day).

The point is we need to know what we did right and what we did wrong, and THEN we can build on our strengths and improve for our weaknesses to meet time limit.

By leaving questions unanswered, we miss our opportunities to do the aforementioned.

I'm reading a book about managing your energy (instead of managing your time), and am constantly looking for ways to be more efficient + get more things done. :)

For me, if I am away from my laptop, I get things done 1000000X better lol. Good luck, everyone! :thumbup:

Any particular reason why? I believe I am using 2008 edition.

Sure, this is a direct quotation from a BR representative on SDN:

"Physics
These books underwent a HUGE change that began in early 2009. It will become the state-of-the-art model for all MCAT preparation books. The big changes that people wanted and thus we implemented were multiple homework sections. There is a 3-passage/25-question set designed to review the material in the text portion of the chapter. Those are to be done slowly and thoroughly, working on building concepts. Following that is a 7-passage/52-question practice exam to be taken under timed conditions. The passages are centered around topics from the text, but also incorporate outside material. These are designed to simulate the MCAT experience. In the text portion, we have included explanations to all of the (b)-questions, which is something our students have clammored for over the years. We also include turbo solutions with selected questions. For instance, if there are three questions on the same example, then the first two questions will have traditional explanations and the third will have a turbo solution where shortcuts and tricks are shown and explained in detail. The goal is that these will teach you more about how to save time on the question than the material. This is based on the assumption that the first few examples implant the concepts well."

For me, if I am away from my laptop, I get things done 1000000X better lol. Good luck, everyone! :thumbup:

GD, you're right! I NEED to get off this forum/laptop...:eek:...ASAP...like...now...now...help me...

Any advice on the best (most difficult) practice CBT's i could purchase in addition to AAMC's??

Gold standard and TBR seem like pretty much the only ones...( i know you have to take the princeton class to get the TPR CBT's which sucks)

Anyone have any advice?

I have taken the 1/30 exam and found that AAMC tests are the best. If you need extra, Berkley Review CBT's are very realistic and helpful. I wish all your prep goes well. Don't hesitate to lurk in our thread but do not be let down by the people screaming bloody murder. I assure you the test was fair and will reward those who prepared well and know the format.

Hey are you guys applying this coming June? I plan to apply in June and already registered for March 27th but now I am considering postponing until May. Should I do that? Wouldn't make my application one month late? Thanks for your help.

Hey are you guys applying this coming June? I plan to apply in June and already registered for March 27th but now I am considering postponing until May. Should I do that? Wouldn't make my application one month late? Thanks for your help.

Yea you would have to apply a bit later but if it means you have a better MCAT it shouldn't matter especially because you're not applying 1 month late, just 1 month later. Some people don't apply until like August so you'll still be in very good shape considering how long the whole process is.

Basically, application in June 23 w/ 32 MCAT >>> application June 1 w/ 29 MCAT. If you feel you need the extra time to really do well, then by all means post-pone.

Also, I just joined you guys! Postponed from 3/27 myself :oops:

Joining the club guys, just registered and paid for the MCAT last week. May 22 is the big day!

I've been doing the Kaplan class once a week for a couple months now, but have been slacking quite a bit on everything else. With the date approaching quickly I bought all the EK stuff and will be going through their 10 week program in addition to the remainder of Kaplan.

As you could could probably see by how long I've been registered on this forum, this has been a long time coming from me (non-trad a la carte post-bac approach). I'm scared of this test, but also excited that things are finally starting to happen.

Good luck to everyone!!

Just to get an idea of where everyone else is, how far along are you guys on your content review? I've done:

Biology - 1 pass, which isn't enough because I haven't memorized everything (like all the hormones ugh).
Physics - 1/3 complete w/ first pass
Chem - 1/3 complete w/ first pass
OChem - 1/3 complete w/ first pass

It's hard because I have a full course load and work as well.

I hope do be done w/ my first pass on all sections by the end of February (doing practice problems/passages along the way). Then start FLs in March while reviewing all the material (2nd pass). Then more FLs in April w/ brushing up on material w/ flashcards or something. Then AAMC FLs in May leading up to the exam.

I hope I can get all of that completed w/ a full course load. Maybe I'm just dreamin' :rolleyes:

Just to get an idea of where everyone else is, how far along are you guys on your content review? I've done:

Biology - 1 pass, which isn't enough because I haven't memorized everything (like all the hormones ugh).
Physics - 1/3 complete w/ first pass
Chem - 1/3 complete w/ first pass
OChem - 1/3 complete w/ first pass

It's hard because I have a full course load and work as well.

I hope do be done w/ my first pass on all sections by the end of February (doing practice problems/passages along the way). Then start FLs in March while reviewing all the material (2nd pass). Then more FLs in April w/ brushing up on material w/ flashcards or something. Then AAMC FLs in May leading up to the exam.

I hope I can get all of that completed w/ a full course load. Maybe I'm just dreamin' :rolleyes:

I am on the same boat =D

Midterms are killing my MCAT schedule. So far, I completed around 15-20 VR passages, 3 chapters of TBR o.chem + 1/3...moving on slowly...

I am glad I am graduating one quarter early this March to focus all my energy and remaining brain cells on the MCAT. I hope to start FLs in early April.

Best wishes to everyone else! :luck: Let's hold each other accountable for keeping with the study schedule. Feel free to share what you have done thus far. :laugh:

I've been pretty lazy as well (I work full time)....

I've done full 1st pass Gen Chem, 15-20 VR passages + AAMC 3 verbal,
and I am 1/3 done with physics.

I plan on finishing physics by Feb 20, finishing Orgo and Bio by March 20, then having 2 months to work as many practice problems and passages as i can reviewing material as needed (not wasting time rereading material i already know).

I dont want to get too caught up on reading the content and not devote enough time to practice problems because i know that practice problems will be the best way for me to remember everything, and be prepared for problem solving on test day.

Good luck with your study schedules everyone!

Yes, most of us will I presume. The most important thing is for you to be ready on the day you take the exam. If you are not ready, then you should never gamble. Taking the test in May and applying in June are still considered early. People say as long as you apply by July, you are still considered an early applicant. Some students take huge gamble by taking the test in June/July and still apply to schools. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Does anyone else wish there were more hours in the day so you could fit in more MCAT studying? I find myself wishing this, and then think to myself "are you mad?!"

Does anyone else wish there were more hours in the day so you could fit in more MCAT studying? I find myself wishing this, and then think to myself "are you mad?!"

Absolutely, but med schools don't want to see a kid devote 3 -4 months on MCAT only, but can efficiently balance a good "load" : )

Be strong man, you can do it!

Life isn't perfect, but we do a great job of forcing things to work :cool:

Well, I'm definitely balancing a good load - well trying. I work full time, but only taking part time classes this semester and I'm doing some volunteering - two hours a week after work. I also drive an hour to and from work everyday, so by the time I get home, exercise and eat, I only have a couple hours of studying before bed. The days sure go by fast though!

im in! this is my first official post, but ive been reading these forum for quite some time. im actually taking the 5-21 MCAT, but close enough right?

im in the princeton class right now, but far behind (with school, research, etc. yeah, i know, excuses, excuses). took my first diagnostic jan 14, got a 26. took the second diagnostic this morning expecting improvement... and a 25 was waiting for me. :( gotta turn up the heat i guess.

I just registered for the 5/21 date. And there's no thread for that one. So here I am. I'm so scared =(.

im in! this is my first official post, but ive been reading these forum for quite some time. im actually taking the 5-21 MCAT, but close enough right?

im in the princeton class right now, but far behind (with school, research, etc. yeah, i know, excuses, excuses). took my first diagnostic jan 14, got a 26. took the second diagnostic this morning expecting improvement... and a 25 was waiting for me. :( gotta turn up the heat i guess.

Hey, welcome you two. :love:

Don't worry about diagnostic scores, they're notoriously harder than the rest. The good thing is that you know how much you need to study AND there is plenty of time left.

Happy Lunar New Year everyone. :luck:

Lol, I completely feel opposite. I feel like I have no time whatsoever and that I'm uber uber pressured. To the point where I don't take any breaks. I don't know what's wrong with me. :( I must be hitting MCAT Meltdowwwwnnnn