The Official 5/23/13 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DieTrying93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just registered to take the MCAT on May 23, 2013 at 8:00 a.m.! I had to register early because I live in NYC and seats fill up fast!

I'm gonna start with SN2's schedule in a couple of months. I ordered the books (TBR, EK, EK1001, etc) a couple of days ago.

How are you guys gonna study?

Best of luck everyone,

- DT93

Members don't see this ad.

Test # - (DATE) PS/ VS/ BS TOTAL

3 - (24-Mar) 10/ 12/ 13/ 35
4 - (11-Apr) 11/ 10/ 11/ 32
5 - (25-Apr) 13/ 10/ 12/ 35
7 - (6-May) 11/ 9/ 13/ 33
8 - (10-May) 10/ 8/ 13/ 31
9 - (12-May) 14/ 11/ 13/ 38
10 - (15-May) 11/ 12/ 14/ 37
11 - (17-May) 12/ 11/ 14/ 37

REAL DEAL (May 23, 2013 test date): 12/12/12 PS/VS/BS total: 36

Last edited:
No way ......in shock

34. 30 freaking 4

last year I took it and got a 24. I have no idea that I would get that high of a score.

My last practice test was a 33.

:soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
So nervous, I feel like I might puke. These will be the longest 6 hours of my life haha
AAMC average was a 34-35 but I felt pretty bad about the test afterwards. PS was horrible and usually my weakest area so I need a miracle to pull a 10.
My prediction is a 30-31, which I will be okay with. Anything over a 30 and I won't retake. Praying to God I don't have to retake this thing, that would be pure misery!

Practice test average: 34.5
Post-MCAT feeling: 30-31
Actual Score: 35 (14V 10PS 11BS)

so beyond happy!

Hey Guys,

I took the mcat on May 23rd and got a 8/9/6 23. I dont know why I didnt void my score, but for whatever reason I did not. The good news, however, is that I just retook the mcat on June 20th and felt as though I did much better on this test. I have a 3.5 cumulative GPA from a UC and have a lot of volunteer work/ extra curriculars. I am wondering what to do now. Should I wait until July to apply? Or should I apply with my first set of MCAT scores even if they are bad? How does the process work if you apply with one set of scores while waiting for another? Are you able to note this on your application? Please help me out guys! I am so confused :/

Just remember everyone: You are not defined by a test. You all have a rich history of emotions, relationships and accomplishments. There is much more to this world than merely what you choose to do as a profession.
Truer words were never echoed :thumbup:

Congratulations everyone for making it!

I got a 27, I think I'll be okay this cycle. Good luck everyone :)

I was just referring to what I've been doing today... although if that's what you've done today, I'm sure you're at least looking at a 15 Verbal!

Haha I hope so...I'm too afraid to check

No that's what I've done in the past month

Practice Test Averages: Didn't take any. Wife and I don't live paycheck to paycheck but credit card charge to credit card charge. (sorry for lengthy reply but don't want the hate). I took AAMC #3? (the free one) two days before the test and made a 25.

Post-MCAT feeling: Bombed. BS was a ton of one subject (that I won't disclose). I've only taken the bare minimum pre-reqs in biology and I think it shows in my score. PS seemed very difficult also especially as a nontrad (even though I have a physics degree). Verbal had very interesting passages but the questions seemed much harder than my practice passages. I could usually narrow down to two choices and if I got it wrong it was usually my other choice. This time it seemed like most of the choices were pretty good and I felt terrible after verbal.

Actual Score: 10PS, 10V, 9BS. 29 overall

Now comes the time to finish my application I guess. I felt like I only made a 25 or so after the test so a 29 is a relief. HOWEVER, as a nontrad who's applying to only TX schools, I have an uphill battle to face. Sure wish I could have made a 10/10/10 but I'll take it for now. Anyone think I have a decent chance? 3.74 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA.

Hey Guys,

I took the mcat on May 23rd and got a 8/9/6 23. I dont know why I didnt void my score, but for whatever reason I did not. The good news, however, is that I just retook the mcat on June 20th and felt as though I did much better on this test. I have a 3.5 cumulative GPA from a UC and have a lot of volunteer work/ extra curriculars. I am wondering what to do now. Should I wait until July to apply? Or should I apply with my first set of MCAT scores even if they are bad? How does the process work if you apply with one set of scores while waiting for another? Are you able to note this on your application? Please help me out guys! I am so confused :/

If you were practicing higher, retake than DO next year. If that was around your average roll the dice this time but know it could be tough.

Didn't get the 30+ I needed. Not sure if a retake will even matter at this point (already submitted AMCAS to all schools). :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Practice: 28

Post MCAT feeling: worried. Thought verbal was ok. Ran out of time with PS.

Actual: 23

So unbelievably upset right now. :( :( :(

OKAY So here is my take! I am putting this all in so I can quote this later when the scores come in.

First of all, background:

AAMC 3 10 12 8 (30)
AAMC 5 10 9 9 (28)
AAMC 7 9 11 9 (29)
AAMC 8 12 10 9 (31)
AAMC 9 11 11 10 (32)
AAMC 10 8 11 10 (29)
AAMC 11 8 12 10 (30)

AAMC Average: 10/11/9 (30)
Theoretical Minimum: 8/9/8 (25)
Theoretical Maximum: 12/12/10 (34)

Expected Going In: 10/11/10 (31)

I was nervous heading in, but my pacing ended up being just about where I wanted it.

Physical Sciences: I felt that the passages were all convoluted and had extraneous details that were not needed to answer the questions that were asked of them. I noticed this quickly and for a few of them I only consulted the corresponding passages for one or two questions out of a set. I felt that there were some tricky worded questions and some not so straight forward. I straight up guessed on two of them because I knew doing them out by hand would take me a while and would just be wasting precious time. There were some calculations, but nothing too crazy.

I finished with about 30 seconds left. I feel that I likely scored a 10 with a possibility of an 11. I would be surprised if I was below a 10 on this. Felt pretty standard to me.

Verbal: The verbal sections were all relatively straightforward IMO. They were a little wordy and some of the questions a little tricky, but nothing more than normal. Considering my performances on AAMC 7-11, I felt pretty confident on the passages.

I finished this one just on time as well. I feel pretty confident in an 11 on this with a slight chance of a 12 (fingers crossed). I would be surprised if I got below an 11.

Biological Sciences: This is hard for me to predict. There was more organic chemistry on it than I felt comfortable with. That being said I felt that the bio passages fell into my strong suit for the most part and I didn't have too hard of a time wading through the convoluted passages. To me this felt similar to AAMC 11 in difficulty.

It's harder for me to predict this section because there are at least ~6 questions I straight up guessed on and am unlikely to get right. Assuming a similar scaling to the previous AAMCs I think I may have just barely scooted into a 10, but I wouldn't be surprised with a 9.

In summation: I didn't think that the test I took today was terribly more difficult than AAMC 10 or 11. I do believe that background knowledge I have gained from upper level and graduate biology courses helped me in understanding the concepts presented on the test, but even those that were unfamiliar were doable. The PS had its tough questions, but I'm hoping at least one of the ones I had trouble with was experimental.

As far as specifics on test questions, I can barely remember. I blacked out :laugh:

Final Prediction: 10/11/10 (31) with a maximum of 11/12/10 (33) and a minimum of 9/11/9 (29)

Hope this helps someone! And I hope I don't look like a jackass when I quote this in a month :laugh:

Upon further reflection, I think I either did better than expected or potentially completely bombed and am oblivious to it haha, but this could just be the MCAT hangover talking.

^^ All practice scores and predictions

Actual: 11/11/10 (32)

Beyond happy :love: I'm going to be a doctor :)

Well I last took the MCAT in January 2009, and got a 28 (as part of a combined BS/MD program). I then spent three years in a Catholic seminary. After taking a spring semester post-bacc anatomy class, and a lot of EK studying, I pulled a solid 30 (10-10-10). I still need to submit the AMCAS, but I think that score will stack up nicely against all the other ex-Catholic seminarian applying to med school this year. :)

AAMC average: 29.5 (28-30)
Post test feeling: probably within range...
Actual score: 28 (11V, 8PS, 9 BS)

I'm disappointed in my breakdown, but not very surprised. My GPA is average for DO schools (3.54/sGPA 3.36)...is this gonna be okay for DO? I'm not worried about the overall score, but the 8 in PS has me a little nervous.

AAMC average: 29.5 (28-30)
Post test feeling: probably within range...
Actual score: 28 (11V, 8PS, 9 BS)

I'm disappointed in my breakdown, but not very surprised. My GPA is average for DO schools (3.54/sGPA 3.36)...is this gonna be okay for DO? I'm not worried about the overall score, but the 8 in PS has me a little nervous.

The DO average is 26-27 so I would say yes.

Congratulations to everyone who got what the wanted.

To everyone that didn't: A close family friend who is a surgeon (and the best surgeon in town by reputation) took the MCAT twice before getting accepted. This is just one more hurdle on a journey of many on the way to becoming a physician. I'll repost what I said earlier "Just remember everyone: You are not defined by a test. You all have a rich history of emotions, relationships and accomplishments. There is much more to this world than merely what you choose to do as a profession."

People must have not done that well.