The Official 7/06/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravupadh

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm taking the exam this date because I am NOT a morning person lol.

How's everyone's practicing going? I'm using the SDNed schedule and I think it's getting the job done. I'm on the second set of chapters and I'm feeling confident.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to you, I too am taking it at that time. Just a little swamped with school and life, haven't started studying!!!!!!!!!!

Planned date for now, haven't registered yet. My Kaplan course has the last class the day before the exam. Depending on how my scores are throughout the class I may do the 16th instead and use the extra week to do practice exams. A 1pm exam may be toooo good to pass up though AND I don't want to delay my scores any more than they need to be, even though there's only a 7 day difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is taking the MCAT this date going to out me at a disadvantage at all, since scores will not be back until beg of August....

Depends on where you're applying from what I've read on here. Regardless of where it is, ideally you'd like your whole application to be complete, including scores, by the open date of June 1. However, apparently some schools don't even start reviewing applications until August so if that's the case for the shool(s) you'll be applying to then it won't matter much.

Also, the general concensus is that it's better to postpone everything else and give one solid effort for the MCAT as opposed to rushing it just so you have a score and then end up having to retake the exam. Then you'll be at even more of a disadvantage due to your desired score not being a part of your app yet AND because you'll have taken the exam twice at this point.

Count me in! I'm about 1/3 through my content review. I am working from EK and Berkeley Review.

I am primarily reading the Berkeley Review chapters for Physics and General Chemistry, reading the corresponding EK chapters, working 1/3 of the EK 1001 problems, then tackling about 1/2 of the passages in BR for that chapter I just read. Yes, long days, but I feel that this is the best way to study. Reading for understanding from BR, then reading what's really important from EK, practicing on the freestanding problems from the EK 1001 books, then really focusing on test taking strategies while working passages from BR. This gives me enough background info and practice so I'm not really "wasting" the passages by making stupid mistakes as these should have been hammered out while working the 1001 problems.

As for Bio and Organic, I am solely working from EK--working problems from their 1001 books. BR bio is really overkill. I found reading the EK chapter, taking notes, maybe re-reading it, then working LOTS of passages helps me hammer in the concepts here. As for organic, I had an awesome professor, so I feel EK is sufficient. I am still using BR for their passages--just not for content review.

I am going to start my verbal review soon--maybe doing 2-3 passages a day.

How is all of your studying coming along?

Registered! I finished content review over spring break. I'm taking a full class load and also work a little so I've had to start prepping a bit earlier than most. I was hoping to take an earlier date, but my finals week is June 13-17 so that rules out the June 16 date. Stupid quarter system :(

Prep has been going well. I went through BR for content review (EK and TPRH for bio), and am working through the TPRH science workbook now. I still have most of my BR passages to go through when I finish TPRH workbook.

How often is everyone going to take practice tests? I'm hoping to do 1/week until test date. I've taken AAMC 3, 4, and 5 and am going to switch over to the BR CBTs for a while to save the rest of AAMC for my last few weeks of prep.

I'm [sort of] in the same boat here. I planned to take the test on 6/16 but realize I won't be able to make it. I blame it on my morning sickness and back pain from my pregnancy. Anyhow, I move the test date to 7/6 and hoping that i won't have to push it out again (too risky if i'm ordered to be on bedrest by then). I've just mustered enough strength to start studying for MCAT. I'm pretty good with bio, chem, and ochem. My physics is a mess though cuz I haven't touched it for like 10 years. But hopefully it'll come back smoothly since I was pretty decent w/ physics back then.
I was soooo worried that I started studying too late. But your posts give me hope!!!

Right now my plan is to tackle one chapter of each topic per week using EK and BR, plus doing verbal everyday using EK and TPRH. I map out the corresponding chapter/section in the EK to match with the BR chapters and use the BR chapters as topic guidance.
I start with reading the EK and do it practice problems. Then do the 1001 problems for that EK chapter/section. Then read the BR chapter for in depth content. Then do the BR passages. I use the EK and TPRH for verbal. Very time consuming, especially coupled with working full time, volunteering, and shadowing.

Good luck everyone!!! I'll keep checking back at this thread for the occasional jolt of encouragement and/or renewed motivation. Hope to see everyone keeping on track!

Last edited:
I'm in! Registered, do some study but during full time work. Work will finish in 3 days and will be full time studying starting in May.

Welps, looks like I'm going to have to sign up in the thread for 7/16 when some one makes it because I just went to AAMC to register for my exam and there are no seats available in NJ for 7/6. Damn this densely populated state -_-

Welps, looks like I'm going to have to sign up in the thread for 7/16 when some one makes it because I just went to AAMC to register for my exam and there are no seats available in NJ for 7/6. Damn this densely populated state -_-

That sucks, sorry to hear that. Good luck on the 16th

I would look in NYC. That's where I registered.

Hey everyone, I know we still have a while to go--but how is everyone's study going? We can do this!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I know we still have a while to go--but how is everyone's study going? We can do this!!!

Slow and steady. I can't wait for this quarter to be over so I can get a couple weeks of uninterrupted studying in. Hard to focus on MCAT when you've got midterms, prelabs, postlabs, etc... I'm pretty happy with where my practice tests are at so I just need to keep at it.

Hoping to have my content review complete by the end of May. By content review, I mean having read all of the BR chapters for Physics and Gen Chem, completing 1/2 of the passages from those, and completing about 1/3-1/2 of the EK 1001 questions for PS.

For BS, having read all of the EK chapters for Bio and Organic, and working passages from EK/TPR/and some TBR to get a feel for those killer passages. I am also working the EK 1001 questions for organic and trying to do some passages from BR for those, however organic is the least of my worries right now.

Hopefully this is all done by May, then I can spend the remaining time working lots of practice tests and reviewing things that I am still a little unsure of. Trying to get in a lot of verbal practice too.

What about everyone else?

EEEEK!!!

Has anyone started doing practice tests? I'm curious what tests people are taking and how they're doing on them.

I would look in NYC. That's where I registered.

I'm retaking and I actually took the exam in NY last year and wouldn't go through that again. Having to wake up even earlier than necessary to get on the train with the morning commute people wasn't a great experience. This exam is the 1pm test so it shouldn't be as bad, but the day of my test you should be as relaxed as possible

56 days left!
Scary...

Anyone using Exam Krackers self study schedule?
What about wikipremed.com?

Good luck everyone :)

56 days left!
Scary...

Anyone using Exam Krackers self study schedule?
What about wikipremed.com?

Good luck everyone :)

I'm not using wikipremed but I use Khan academy a lot for reviewing physics concepts that I can't seem to get down with other books. I really like his videos on optics.

Ughhh we can do this right?! Every day I feel like I wish I would have started studying earlier. I want to have my content review done before June 1st and spend the rest of my time taking practice tests, working and fine tuning my weaknesses. I am trying to hit VR everyday--but it's demoralizing. haha. Just keepppppp goinggggggg.

Where is everyone else in regards to their content review/study plan?

Ughhh we can do this right?! Every day I feel like I wish I would have started studying earlier. I want to have my content review done before June 1st and spend the rest of my time taking practice tests, working and fine tuning my weaknesses. I am trying to hit VR everyday--but it's demoralizing. haha. Just keepppppp goinggggggg.

I'm hoping to get done with content review by June 1rst also.
Using EK and so far, so good.
Almost done with physics, beginning bio, some chem done, but organic chemistry is scaring me...
It's been 2 years and I don't remember anything and I don't think I really understood it the first time around either.

I was so afraid of physics but after going through most of the content, I feel it might be my strong point :).

I will def check out Khan academy too.

I can't wait to start taking aamc exams... I would start now but I've heard that it's a waste of time if you haven't gone through all the content yet.

55 days left !
We can do it!

Registered for 7/16 but trying to move it to this date. Retaking here unfortunately...is everyone applying this year also?

I'm done with my first pass of content review. I went through TBR plus did all phase 1 passages in TBR. I've moved on to working through the TPRH science workbook and doing problems in EK1001. I'm also almost done with TPRH verbal workbook and will start doing EK 101 verbal after that.

I've taken AAMC 3-5 and I don't think I'll spend much more time on content review. I do plan to go back and finish off all the TBR passages after I finish TPRH science workbook, but in terms of reading content over again, I'm going to just do that for areas I know I'm weak in. I just ordered TBR CBTs so hopefully those will get activated soon so I can save my last 5 AAMC exams for the last couple weeks of studying.

I've been surprised with how very few formulas I've actually needed to have memorized to do well on AAMC practice exams. Most are either in the passage, one of the basic formulas (F=ma etc), or simple enough that you can figure it out if you understand the concepts. If you don't have it already, I highly recommend getting TPRH science workbook. In addition to the BR passages, I feel like these most closely match the style of passages/questions I've been seeing on AAMC practice exams.

Registered for 7/16 but trying to move it to this date. Retaking here unfortunately...is everyone applying this year also?

Yeah applying this year. Would have liked to have taken an earlier test date, but my finals week is June 13-17 so this is first date I thought would be reasonable to do. I'm submitting my AMCAS first of July though so everything will be verified and ready to go when my scores come back in August.

Looks like I may be switching to this date. I am currently scheduled for 6/16 but due to my work schedule I think I should give myself a little bit more time. I will start working about 60hrs/week starting next Tuesday. :)I have 12 chapters (TBR) remaining to review.

I know most people think that this is a "late" test date, I just hope it won't hinder our chances that much. Logically, I don't think it should as long as we have other aspects of our application ready.

How do you guys feel about taking the test in July?

Yeah applying this year. Would have liked to have taken an earlier test date, but my finals week is June 13-17 so this is first date I thought would be reasonable to do. I'm submitting my AMCAS first of July though so everything will be verified and ready to go when my scores come back in August.

Dang! Your finals are late. We officially finished May 5th, but I was done since April 22nd. It gives me over 4 months of summer break :thumbup:

So i'm taking the mcats july 6, and Ive started studying since january.

I've been taking practice exams for two weeks (3 total so far). But I'm scoring in the 20-22 range. PS VR and BS are all either 6's, 7's or 8's.

I'm not dumb, I have a 3.94 GPA in biology but idk how to get those to 10s.

I'm reviewing mistakes from practice exams, I read the examkrackers and kaplan books, I'm doing 1001 questions from EK, and reviewing my notes and flashcards. I study about 4-5 hours a day.

I also plan on taking a total of 30-35 practice exams before the actual test.

Any advice on how I could improve? The test is less than 2 months away and I really need to improve!

How many hours should i study a day and what else should i be doing? Thanks!

So i'm taking the mcats july 6, and Ive started studying since january.

I've been taking practice exams for two weeks (3 total so far). But I'm scoring in the 20-22 range. PS VR and BS are all either 6's, 7's or 8's.

I'm not dumb, I have a 3.94 GPA in biology but idk how to get those to 10s.

I'm reviewing mistakes from practice exams, I read the examkrackers and kaplan books, I'm doing 1001 questions from EK, and reviewing my notes and flashcards. I study about 4-5 hours a day.

I also plan on taking a total of 30-35 practice exams before the actual test.

Any advice on how I could improve? The test is less than 2 months away and I really need to improve!

How many hours should i study a day and what else should i be doing? Thanks!

6-7's across the board indicate to me that your content review is severely lacking. How did you prepare in your content review?

What I found helpful was reading the BR chapter, then reading EK to pick out the important things that they emphasized, then doing the EK 1001 questions (1/3 for the chapter) then really testing how much I knew by working the Berkeley Review passages. Yes, might seem like overkill, but I feel that a strong content knowledge/foundation is needed before you should even think about taking practice exams. You should be refining your knowledge/content as you're practicing. But to me, 6's and 7's indicate you never really learned the topic--or at least not as well as you should have your first time around.

yea, i did take those practice exams while i didnt fully know my content.

i'm studying 6-7 hours a night. with 4-5 of the hours just dedicated to studying content and 2hrs of questions/drills.

but i feel like even when i know my content, the mcat practice exams/ actual test are still going to ask questions on things I never read in my prep books or even think they would ask. how do i tackle those questions?

do you suggest other study aids? how is audio osmosis and wikipremed?

thanks!

yea, i did take those practice exams while i didnt fully know my content.

i'm studying 6-7 hours a night. with 4-5 of the hours just dedicated to studying content and 2hrs of questions/drills.

but i feel like even when i know my content, the mcat practice exams/ actual test are still going to ask questions on things I never read in my prep books or even think they would ask. how do i tackle those questions?

do you suggest other study aids? how is audio osmosis and wikipremed?

thanks!

In my experience studying, I would suggest you spend a lot more time working problems/passages than doing "content review." Remember, you're really reviewing your content while you're working passages and free-standing questions. I would say that you want to spend maybe 75% of your time working problems and the 25% of your time reading. You can read all you want, but if you are not practicing--you really don't know what you do and don't know. I found that I remember things a lot better if I get something wrong on a passage/question that just reading about it. Write these questions you get wrong down, study them, and make sure that it doesn't happen again. Know that for every questions you get wrong while practicing, it is one less question you'll get wrong on the real MCAT.

Again, just practice, practice practice. There is really a limited amount of questions that they can ask on a certain topic. If you know that topic well, by doing lots of problems on that--then you will see a drastic improvement in your performance. There is only a certain amount of ways they can test your knowledge that the mass of a projectile does not affect the time of flight, or that acceleration is zero when something is at terminal velocity, etc. The more you practice, the more you will see this.

doing passages and what not is a little disheartening, but i'm chugging along. i think its a necessity because you get to see what areas you are weak on. i was supposed to take the april 8th, but never got to finish studying. even now, i'm only half way through content review and stuff.

I think I'm changing from 6/16 to this date.. I'm nervous that I'll be getting my score in late, but I think I need the extra time! Is everyone applying this cycle?

I got two more questions.

1. Taking the july 6 mcats isnt too late for applications is it? Some ppl are freaking out that july is too late, and I'm like....no it isn't calm down. anyone agree?

2. I have a 3.95 GPA, with a 3.92 Science GPA. I did volunteering, clinical research, biochem research and shadowing and other community services. I have a 4.0 minor in English, and great - excellent recommendations
So if my MCAT score ranges from 27-29, will that hurt my chances of getting in, despite my gpa and extracurriculars? I mean I obviously won't get into Harvard or John Hopkins, but I'd be safe with state schools right? This is hypothetical.
Also, if my verbal section is low (8-9), will admissions forgive that since I have a 4.0 as an English minor? I know different schools think differently about it, but I just wanted some insight or personal experience with this.

Thanks!

I got two more questions.

1. Taking the july 6 mcats isnt too late for applications is it? Some ppl are freaking out that july is too late, and I'm like....no it isn't calm down. anyone agree?

2. I have a 3.95 GPA, with a 3.92 Science GPA. I did volunteering, clinical research, biochem research and shadowing and other community services. I have a 4.0 minor in English, and great - excellent recommendations
So if my MCAT score ranges from 27-29, will that hurt my chances of getting in, despite my gpa and extracurriculars? I mean I obviously won't get into Harvard or John Hopkins, but I'd be safe with state schools right? This is hypothetical.
Also, if my verbal section is low (8-9), will admissions forgive that since I have a 4.0 as an English minor? I know different schools think differently about it, but I just wanted some insight or personal experience with this.

Thanks!

1) It's not REALLY that late. I called some schools up and they said they would hold your app until your scores come in in August. However, my top choice said that if you take the MCAT between July-September, your app won't be reviewed until October. Make sure you call your top schools and ask how it would affect you.

2) A 27-29 would hurt your chances overall, but it won't be impossible to get in with them. If that's what you end up scoring, I would apply at a good mix of MD and DO schools. You should buy the MSAR and see which schools have accepted these scores.

How's studying going? 45 days to go. Just took AAMC 7 today. Definitely felt like a different style than 3/4/5 had. All of my practice tests so far have been in a 1 point range. Can't wait to get this over with.

I signed up for this date after taking the 5/21/2011 date--in case I bombed the VR (which I'm sure I did).

Count me in for round deux....

This doesn't seem to be a very popular test day.... Less than 40 days to go.

Just took TBR CBT #1 today. I guess it was good for the sake of passages, but it felt like a completely different style than I've seen on AAMC 3-7 so far. The problems in general were much harder and the VR was mostly about picking out details from the passage which isn't really AAMC style. I ended up scoring in the +/- 1 point range all of my tests have been in.

I'll be joining you guys on this test date. Is anyone applying this cycle? I'm a little bit concerned since our scores wouldn't come back until around August 7th and I'm worried that it might be too late to apply. Anyways, good luck everyone!

I think i have close to 50% content down, plus practice passages... hopefully i'll still be on schedule!!!!

Hey guys im registered for july 16 but i found out my sisters wedding falls out on 2 days before and i wont be able to fly back in time. if any one is dropping the mcat from this date,PLEASE PLEASE let me know. it would be a huge help!!! THANKS A TON!!! :xf:

Is anyone else going through the TBR CBTs? Curious how your scores on those are comparing to AAMC CBT scores

Is anyone else going through the TBR CBTs? Curious how your scores on those are comparing to AAMC CBT scores

Took BR CBT 1 today, scored a 26 (PS7/V10/BS9). Questions seemed a bit tricky, but definitely could have done better. As a side note, I used TPR for my content only. Wondering when I should start taking AAMC exams?

Good luck people - I tested on 5/26, and the real test was IMO more difficult than the AAMC FL's. Prepare as hard as you can, but understand that the real deal might be more difficult. I never had time pressure normally, but the real test....

Im telling you this not to scare you but to get you ready. GOOOD LUCK

Took BR CBT 1 today, scored a 26 (PS7/V10/BS9). Questions seemed a bit tricky, but definitely could have done better. As a side note, I used TPR for my content only. Wondering when I should start taking AAMC exams?

If you plan on taking all 8 AAMC CBT's I wouldn't hesitate to take one of the AAMC exams now if you haven't already and you're done with content review. You definitely want to save a bunch of them for the last few weeks, but I also think it's good to see the style differences between the TBR CBTs and AAMC CBTs. I ended up taking TBR CBT 1 and 2 over the holiday weekend. The verbal felt completely different than AAMC and the PS/BS sections were definitely harder (though maybe their grading curve makes up for this).

Good luck people - I tested on 5/26, and the real test was IMO more difficult than the AAMC FL's. Prepare as hard as you can, but understand that the real deal might be more difficult. I never had time pressure normally, but the real test....

Im telling you this not to scare you but to get you ready. GOOOD LUCK

When you say more difficult do you mean the problems asked were actually harder, or that it was a different style of question than what you were seeing on the practice exams? How much time did you usually have left over for each section to review during practice exams vs real test?

When you say more difficult do you mean the problems asked were actually harder, or that it was a different style of question than what you were seeing on the practice exams? How much time did you usually have left over for each section to review during practice exams vs real test?

On the practice exams, after you take enough, you see what topics they usually test. DC circuits, Optics, Electrochem, ect. So you fix those up.

My real test had obscure topics that I had seen but not paid attention to. People who took the test said that kaplan said those topics have no chance on being on the test. So I would say harder questions and passages.

Timing:
PS (Prac): 10 mins left
VS (prac): 10 mins left
BS (prac): 25 mins left

Real:
PS: 00:00
VS: 5 mins
BS: 7 mins