The Official 7/28/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouNeverKnow22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup guys :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also taking the exam this day. I'm currently studying the EK 1001, and kaplan

IMO, put down the Kaplan, stick with EK and invest in TBR. SO much better and SO worth the money. Buy from other SDNers...that's what I did and I proclaim this method from the housetops.

IMO, put down the Kaplan, stick with EK and invest in TBR. SO much better and SO worth the money. Buy from other SDNers...that's what I did and I proclaim this method from the housetops.

idk depends on the person, Kaplan and EK would be fine if the person had a solid foundation

idk depends on the person, Kaplan and EK would be fine if the person had a solid foundation

True. Everyone's different. But I wish someone had told me about TBR when I first started studying. It's definitely worth looking into if your practice scores aren't where you want them after you've taken a few.

I'm signed up for this day as well :thumbup: I was in a Kaplan course but after a few classes have decided to only go to the verbal/writing days and study on my own with BR/EK books.

Just wondering, is everyone taking this test for 2012 cycle (applying this summer) or for next cycle?

As many say, only on SDN do we freak out about having things in on time. And by "on time", we mean early.

YouNeverKnow22, you're an aspiring surgeon? I'm an aspiring 1K member on SDN. Apparently I don't post enough. I find that funny, considering I'm on this ALL the time.

In all seriousness, do you have an idea of what type of surgery you'd like to specialize in, or are you just open to what med school directs you to?

YouNeverKnow22, you're an aspiring surgeon? I'm an aspiring 1K member on SDN. Apparently I don't post enough. I find that funny, considering I'm on this ALL the time.

In all seriousness, do you have an idea of what type of surgery you'd like to specialize in, or are you just open to what med school directs you to?

neurosurgery, surprisingly my choice is strongly validated...though I'm completely open to change

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. Quick question: If I don't plan on matriculating till 2013, will taking the MCAT this July have any adverse affects on my application? :confused:

can I vent and say how much I hate physics?? Though I gotta admit I've been studying sparingly throughout the semester so now I'm going back over everything, it's really not that bad as far as content goes.

can I vent and say how much I hate physics?? Though I gotta admit I've been studying sparingly throughout the semester so now I'm going back over everything, it's really not that bad as far as content goes.

I hate optics. With a freaking passion. I wish it would burn. Preferably under a magnifying glass, the way we used to fry little ants when we were in elementary school.

(I'm not a psychopath, realllllly)

I gave my FB password to my sister so I would stop stalking and study more, but....

I WANT MY FACEBOOK BACK! :( Checking statuses, reviewing people's pictures, living vicariously through other people who aren't studying for the MCAT...

Instead I've tried projecting my addiction on to SDN. But even this isn't as satisfying. That or I need to try invest in non-MCAT threads. Apparently everyone is studying or something ridiculous like that.

I'm in... retaking after a 28P in march... going back to my EK books and now I have the EK audio osmosis as well. I also got the KAPLAN 45 advanced prep book for after i finish reviewing.

Any pointers on how to use the AO the best way would be great!

AAcmd: I feel like we are on the same boat! :D
I had audio osmosis for my April MCAT- used it a bit as well..I had it in my ipod/phone and instead of listening to music, I would listen to them talking about stuff whenever I am walking to/from some places or at night while I am getting ready to sleep!
IDK, I didnt think that they were that helpful..their puns and background music can be irritating sometimes when you just want info on particular subject, but then again its just my perception!
Lets do this July, 28!

i am loading them onto my iphone now so we'll see how that goes.. I really only got it because I already read the EK books cover to cover and then reviewed them for my march test. Now I'm hoping the AO is a good way to re-review before i dive into the Kaplan 45 book.

Do you think it would be better to follow along with the books as i listen? Or maybe I should just listen and try to visualize what i know in my head, and refer to the books when i'm having trouble following the audio.

I think one of the hardest parts about taking this test is trying to figure out the best ways to study.

i am loading them onto my iphone now so we'll see how that goes.. I really only got it because I already read the EK books cover to cover and then reviewed them for my march test. Now I'm hoping the AO is a good way to re-review before i dive into the Kaplan 45 book.

Do you think it would be better to follow along with the books as i listen? Or maybe I should just listen and try to visualize what i know in my head, and refer to the books when i'm having trouble following the audio.

I think one of the hardest parts about taking this test is trying to figure out the best ways to study.

AO is NOT going to help you if you rely on it. Like SBAKSHI stated, they used it just for when they were walking around or going to sleep. It's a lighter way to get that material in your head. No use in following along with the books. It's almost like the things you'll remember from it are going to be the times you paid the least attention.

Go with Kaplan 45 if that's your study series of choice. But SN2ed has a thread for retakers, and I personally am a HUGE fan of TBR.

AO is NOT going to help you if you rely on it. Like SBAKSHI stated, they used it just for when they were walking around or going to sleep. It's a lighter way to get that material in your head. No use in following along with the books. It's almost like the things you'll remember from it are going to be the times you paid the least attention.

Go with Kaplan 45 if that's your study series of choice. But SN2ed has a thread for retakers, and I personally am a HUGE fan of TBR.

I only have one Kaplan 45 book titled Advanced prep for advanced students... its hundreds of the hardest questions with explanations. Ill keep that for extra hard practice. But do you think it would be a good idea for me to abandon the EK stuff and switch to BR now? Thats like almost 300$ in new books :(

Can you link me to this retake thread? :bow:

Hey guys,
I dont think listening while following the books will be taht effective. I dont like to listen to anything while reading, I get distracted so much haha :p
but yeah, thats exactly what I did for my April exam..I guess for sciences, it is just a matter of making notes the way you like them and review, review and then practice, practice, practice, practice..I dont know about it, but I have ordered 1001 EK question books and will see how those work out..supposedly they are really good and help you focus on the weaker areas..I will let you guys know if they are worth it.
AACmd: visualization will definitely work better for you. That is what I did since I am a visual learner. Also, can you let me know your inputs on the 45 Kaplan book? I may buy that!

I only have one Kaplan 45 book titled Advanced prep for advanced students... its hundreds of the hardest questions with explanations. Ill keep that for extra hard practice. But do you think it would be a good idea for me to abandon the EK stuff and switch to BR now? Thats like almost 300$ in new books :(

Can you link me to this retake thread? :bow:

advice is don't buy BR now, their ordering system is lethargic (took me ~month to get my books)....I would say stick with EK and take a lot of practice tests. If you can grab some BR books on SDN do it.

advice is don't buy BR now, their ordering system is lethargic (took me ~month to get my books)....

SO true.

I would say stick with EK and take a lot of practice tests.

Agreed.

If you can grab some BR books on SDN do it.

I got half of my books from SDN from great fellow pre-meders, and the other half...I bought bio through TBR and my Orgo I managed to find on Amazon. They are *so* worth it.

For those of you wanting to go the practice test route, AAMC practice tests are awesome. Practice test number 3 is free and the rest are like $35 a piece, but you can retake them and go through them as many times as you like for up to a year. And the breakdown system is awesome. You can take the standard test or break it up anyway you like. You can also adjust the difficulty of the material (i.e., only the toughest questions). When you review, the test breaks down how you performed in each individual subject (i.e., genetics, mechanics, thermochemistry, humanities, etc). It can be a little expensive, but I can't think of a better tool for judging strengths and weaknesses so precisely. It is definitely helping to improve my score.:thumbup:

Below is a link to the site.

http://www.e-mcat.com/

I already bought the 5 most recent AAMCs so i actually need the BR CBTs..

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and send this mail order thing to the BR... 500$ later I hope my score will make me happy. There's too many people saying great things about TBR to ignore it. And all the used ones don't list which edition or year the books are so I'm just going to buy them new.

Part of me wishes the rapture really was on saturday so I can finally stop stressing about this test -__-

hey guys, third timer here. Im ready to be done with test and get on with my life haha

TBR and TPR all the way!

hey guys, third timer here. Im ready to be done with test and get on with my life haha

Meeee too, my friend. Meeee too. First time voided, second time terrible...third time's the charm? I'm SO over this taking up my life. I'm ready to be in med school and studying for something else. How about shelf exams and the USMLE please?

hoping to get through first 5-6 chapters of chem by the end of the week of TBR. I've already been through them once...gonna review physics along the way this week to.

Ugh... I was supposed to take the test this Thursday, but I am beYOND not ready to do it thanks to horrible study habits and the like. I just took a practice test and it was much less than I would've liked.

My plan is to take it and then void my score for the experience of it (might as well get something out of wasted registration money since it's too late to reschedule) and then register for the July date.

This will be like, the 3rd time I've gotten cold feet and didn't get it done. July will be my last chance!

Ugh... I was supposed to take the test this Thursday, but I am beYOND not ready to do it thanks to horrible study habits and the like. I just took a practice test and it was much less than I would've liked.

My plan is to take it and then void my score for the experience of it (might as well get something out of wasted registration money since it's too late to reschedule) and then register for the July date.

This will be like, the 3rd time I've gotten cold feet and didn't get it done. July will be my last chance!

Hey Liz. This thread gives awesome advice on how to study and schedule your study time.

Good Luck!!:luck:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6695902&postcount=273

I will be taking my MCAT for a second time on this day!! ExamKrackers didn't work out the first time.. lets see what TPR can do :p

Good luck everyone!!

We have almost exactly two months from today. How is everyone coming along on content review?

Here's what I have left:

EK Biology - 3 chapters
Physics II - 3 chapters
Organic I - 5 chapters and Organic II - 5 chapters (just got my books today)
Gen Chem - 6 chapters

Aaaaaand not to mention ALL of the TBR practice problems.

BUT! I did manage to get through all of the TPR Science Workout Orgo questions. :) And I'm trying to get in at least 4 verbal passages a day.

We have almost exactly two months from today. How is everyone coming along on content review?

Here's what I have left:

EK Biology - 3 chapters
Physics II - 3 chapters
Organic I - 5 chapters and Organic II - 5 chapters (just got my books today)
Gen Chem - 6 chapters

Aaaaaand not to mention ALL of the TBR practice problems.

BUT! I did manage to get through all of the TPR Science Workout Orgo questions. :) And I'm trying to get in at least 4 verbal passages a day.

4 Chapters of BR Physics
9 Chapters of BR Chem

This is my second time going through physics and chem though.

still have 10 chapters of bio/orgo left in TBR (Bio major so I'm not sweating bio content except genetics stuff). Doing about 2 VR passages day...got nothing done today though:cool:

Our thread is so sad and lonely. We need more posters. More people need to give up their summers to be enslaved by the MCAT. Perhaps it is time to employ hypnosis.

YOU WANT TO TAKE THE MCAT ON 7/28.

There. That should do the trick.

Hello everyone! Taking the MCAT on July 28 but I wish it was over now. I'm taking a practice full length tomorrow, so hopefully I will see some improvement after studying for 3 weeks.

Hello everyone! Taking the MCAT on July 28 but I wish it was over now. I'm taking a practice full length tomorrow, so hopefully I will see some improvement after studying for 3 weeks.

:thumbup: That's the way to do it. Many people who have scored well say that taking practice tests on a regular basis is the best preparation you can do for the MCAT.

I'll be taking one as well. Good luck.