The Official 7/28/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouNeverKnow22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup guys :D

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup: That's the way to do it. Many people who have scored well say that taking practice tests on a regular basis is the best preparation you can do for the MCAT.

I'll be taking one as well. Good luck.

Good luck to you too. Let me know how it goes!

Only 2 months to go. Gotta keep improving. Remember to stay at it, everyone.

Only 2 months to go. Gotta keep improving. Remember to stay at it, everyone.

I don't wannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnna studyyyyyyyyyy! :( I have so much to cover, so little time, so many practice passages, so little brain power and motivation. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't wannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnna studyyyyyyyyyy! :( I have so much to cover, so little time, so many practice passages, so little brain power and motivation. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.

One thing that helps me stay motivated and focused is tracking my progress and and hitting the weakest areas of performance first. I have only been studying for two weeks and have improved my practice scores by 6 points. You might try this, too.

PLEASE KEEP STUDYING AND PRACTICING! It will be worth it when you're staring down a competitive MCAT score when that letter comes in August, a score that you know you can get into medical school with.:thumbup:

One thing that helps me stay motivated and focused is tracking my progress and and hitting the weakest areas of performance first. I have only been studying for two weeks and have improved my practice scores by 6 points. You might try this, too.

PLEASE KEEP STUDYING AND PRACTICING! It will be worth it when you're staring down a competitive MCAT score when that letter comes in August, a score that you know you can get into medical school with.:thumbup:

H'ok! Thanks Dillatar. Six points is awesome, so I'll keep at this reading and forcing myself to do my passages, and hopefully I can score higher like you! :)

I LOVE having you on this thread, p.s.

So I improved 4 points overall since I started studying. I realized that I need to work on timing because I ran out of time on each section! There are also some concepts I missed because I haven't reviewed them yet. So much work to do but I'm feeling ok!

So I improved 4 points overall since I started studying. I realized that I need to work on timing because I ran out of time on each section! There are also some concepts I missed because I haven't reviewed them yet. So much work to do but I'm feeling ok!

Nice! I haven't taken any practice tests yet...I'm just barreling through practice passages and waiting til next month to start the FL period.

Awesome. Keep it up and stay motivated. Less than two months left. We can do this. :thumbup:

Hello! I was supposed to take mine June 16th, but then the 'studying during the semester' plan didn't work out as plan. So I moved it back to July 28th!

I'm scared, I can't seem to find the motivation to start studying...HELP.

So taking the MCAT on this date is considered late (not referring to SDN standards)?

I guess it is a little late if you are applying this year because scores won't be back until the end of August. I've always heard you have the best chances if you submit your completed application in early June, but an admissions chair told me it doesn't matter when you apply if you have a strong app. I'm choosing to give myself the best chances and apply early next year. But I wanted to study during the summer and take the MCAT right after I finished my prereqs so I'm taking it now!

Hello! I was supposed to take mine June 16th, but then the 'studying during the semester' plan didn't work out as plan. So I moved it back to July 28th!

I'm scared, I can't seem to find the motivation to start studying...HELP.

Welcome! I agree with Dillatar that at this point you should probably start working on your weak areas. So for me, that would be physics in the PS section. I missed an entire passage on the full length exam I took Saturday because I didn't remember the equations for periodic motion/equilibrium and none were given in the passage. I knew it was one of my weak areas but I haven't fixed that one yet. So go ahead and get started! We have almost 2 months, which is plenty of time to improve our scores. And we can motivate each other to stay on track :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy Memorial Day, everyone. Today presents a great opportunity to catch up on studying that you may have fallen behind in. So, if your behind in your plan, take the time today to do those extra verbal or bio or physical science passages.

For those of us who are on track, let's use to day to get ahead of the game. A couple extra passages could net us a couple extra points that might be the difference between acceptance and waitlisted. I'll be right here with you working on my bio passages.

Keep it up, and stay motivated!:thumbup:

Last edited:
happy memorial day, everyone. Today presents a great opportunity to catch up on studying that you may have fallen behind in. So, if your behind in your plan, take the time today to do those extra verbal or bio or physical science passages.

For those of us who are on track, let's use to day to get ahead of the game. A couple extra passages could net us a couple extra points that might be the difference between acceptance and waitlisted. I'll be right here with you working on my bio passages.

Keep it up, and stay motivated!:thumbup:

go dillatar! It's memorial day! We gonn' study like it's memorial day!

Howdy fellow test-takers! My score expired, so I need to re-take to apply this cycle.

Yay, studying! :p I'm focusing on Orgo to start (bonds, how I hate thee)

I'm in as well.:)

Took the 5/26 exam :xf:... but I came out of the test feeling like crap. Took a break for a few days but hoping to jump back into content review/section tests soon (given that I used up all except one aamc practice exam...)

After I registered for this date, I was told that I would be considered "late" in comparison to the rest of the hard-core pre-meds, esp. since scores come out the last week of August, and that it would hurt me in the application process. Did you guys hear this as well, or do I just have extreme friends?:confused:

After I registered for this date, I was told that I would be considered "late" in comparison to the rest of the hard-core pre-meds, esp. since scores come out the last week of August, and that it would hurt me in the application process. Did you guys hear this as well, or do I just have extreme friends?:confused:

It really just depends on the schools you want to apply to. The med school that I work at accepts applications June through December and only ushers a new class in once a year. Obviously, if you are wanting to get into med school this fall, your application is going to be completed a little on the late side. But if your planning on matriculation next year, it's not late by any means.

Howdy fellow test-takers! My score expired, so I need to re-take to apply this cycle.

Yay, studying! :p I'm focusing on Orgo to start (bonds, how I hate thee)

Sorry your score expired. And sorry that you hate bonds. My organic professor explained everything in terms of relationships. It definitely made orgo WAY more interesting. Maybe you can look at it in that light, and laugh your miseries away?

WHY does it take me so long to finish just ONE chapter from TBR? Seriously. I get so exhausted from trying to get through it, I leave it with like 2-3 pages left and none of the passages done, and I try to tackle it the next day.

Oy vey, finishing 25 chapters by June 18th is going to be difffffffficult. Gotta push push push!

MDminded - is reading the chapters in TBR taking you a long time or is completing/reviewing the passages/questions taking a long time?

Reading. Definitely reading. I find the chapters dense. I think I'm just trying to understand each sentence they write well enough and spending time on it to make sure I get it. The passages/review...ha, getting to that the same day I read the content never happens. It is usually the next day. And then I start the next chapter. I'm accruing more and more chapters and passages "to do" compared to how many I'm getting done.

I'm normally a really fast reader, too!

I'm so glad I found this thread. I also moved my test date from June 16th to July 28th. I just graduated from college , so I have AMPLE amount of time to study.:) Good luck to everyone! Keep pushing hard because it's not over until it's over! :thumbup:

I'm so glad I found this thread. I also moved my test date from June 16th to July 28th. I just graduated from college , so I have AMPLE amount of time to study.:) Good luck to everyone! Keep pushing hard because it's not over until it's over! :thumbup:

Welcome to the troop!

Dear TBR,

I long for the day where you don't school me and instead, I show you a thing or two.

Until then, my weary heart waits.

Fondly,
MDminded

Just got my Exam Krackers VR book today. Going to be focusing the rest of this week on raising this score. Hope everyone is doing well with their studying. Let's keep it going strong.

Just got my Exam Krackers VR book today. Going to be focusing the rest of this week on raising this score. Hope everyone is doing well with their studying. Let's keep it going strong.

GET IT UP, DILLATAR! You can do it! (And it'll take a little longer than a week, so be patient with yourself if it doesn't jump in two days)

Word of advice from someone who already took it:

TAKE PRACTICE TESTS. I kinda effed up on Verbal Reasoning. I DID take practice tests, but I didn't learn from them how to PACE myself for VR.
During the actual exam, I sped through the last few passages (not in a good way) because I spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME on the first 2 passages. VR pacing (or lack thereof) = my downfall

Word of advice from someone who already took it:

TAKE PRACTICE TESTS. I kinda effed up on Verbal Reasoning. I DID take practice tests, but I didn't learn from them how to PACE myself for VR.
During the actual exam, I sped through the last few passages (not in a good way) because I spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME on the first 2 passages. VR pacing (or lack thereof) = my downfall

Thanks Dr. Kwon! :)

Wow, it's been a while since I started making SDN my daily read. Taking the exam on July 28th (thus joining this thread). You guys seem pretty relaxed here. :)

Any of you applying with a graduate degree? I am finishing my MPH and haven't seen that many threads on that topic. So that's on my mind as far how I want to play it.

Studying: Finishing up the Bio Review section with Genetics, but am working hard to figure out the probability questions dihybrid crosses. It's been four years since I took Genetics. :( For those that are comfortable with it, are there quick resources other than the problems in my Genetic textbook?

****s getting REAL on 7/28

This made me think of this t-shirt (warning: I'm a semi-math nerd) :

tshirt.gif

Another 7/28 checking in. Just to make things a little less lonely.

I know it is taking it later, but I thought about it and decided a little late is better than rushing it. I may be wrong, but I hope not.

Another 7/28 checking in. Just to make things a little less lonely.

I know it is taking it later, but I thought about it and decided a little late is better than rushing it. I may be wrong, but I hope not.

Thanks for popping in! I almost feel guilty for being the most frequent poster....in every thread....oh geesh.

In other news, I'm about ready to start a new thread: THE OFFICIAL WHINE ALL YOU WANT AND GET NO CRITICISM FOR IT THREAD.

I almost feel guilty for being the most frequent poster....in every thread....oh geesh.

It's cool that your posting, but you made mention earlier that you were missing facebook alot since you are staying off to study for the MCAT. Don't make SDN your new facebook. Make sure you are still getting all the studying done that you need too so you can get this test over with and not have to worry about it in the future. Don't trade one diversion for another!!:)

It's cool that your posting, but you made mention earlier that you were missing facebook alot since you are staying off to study for the MCAT. Don't make SDN your new facebook. Make sure you are still getting all the studying done that you need too so you can get this test over with and not have to worry about it in the future. Don't trade one diversion for another!!:)

That's great advice! I'm bad with distractions but sometimes I just have to step away from the books when my head hurts and I'm not being productive. Any advice for healthy diversions? Maybe trying to read some good articles to help with verbal haha

Welcome to all of the new people!

Thanks for the "tough" love, Dillatar. You are totally right - I need to not replace FB with SDN.

But don't worry, I definitely am getting the studying in. SDN = when I start my day, lunch time, after my day is over (now).

WHY does it take me so long to finish just ONE chapter from TBR? Seriously. I get so exhausted from trying to get through it, I leave it with like 2-3 pages left and none of the passages done, and I try to tackle it the next day.

Oy vey, finishing 25 chapters by June 18th is going to be difffffffficult. Gotta push push push!

I started with TBR this monday. Progress has been slow for me too but I feel like I'm getting a good review and that it'll be worth it come test day. I hope...

I replaced SDN with a 2.5 hour nap today. Go me.

Dear TBR Orgo,

Here I come darling. Be ready.

With affection,
MDminded

Thanks for the "tough" love, Dillatar. You are totally right - I need to not replace FB with SDN.

But don't worry, I definitely am getting the studying in. SDN = when I start my day, lunch time, after my day is over (now).

Fair enough. If we can all keep our studying and practice scores up, then we will be more than ready to get this over with. Remember that July 28th is coming up quickly. Only 8 weeks left.:prof:

I hope everyone has been progressing nicely. Would everyone mind sharing what their study day/week is like? This might help those who need a disciplined routine but can't seem to come up with one that works.

Well off to study more VR! Tomorrow is practice test 4 and I need to be in the best shape yet.

I just got my EK Bio and Verbal 101 in the mail today, so I'm excited about having new study materials. I have heard that both of them are helpful!

I have to write a paper for my online class this weekend, so I don't know how much MCAT studying I will be able to do. I really need to take another practice test, but I can't do that until I get my paper written! Hope everyone else has a productive weekend.

I just got my EK Bio and Verbal 101 in the mail today, so I'm excited about having new study materials. I have heard that both of them are helpful!

I have to write a paper for my online class this weekend, so I don't know how much MCAT studying I will be able to do. I really need to take another practice test, but I can't do that until I get my paper written! Hope everyone else has a productive weekend.

That's cool. EK verbal is really helpful. I just started using it in conjunction with the kaplan techniques.

Good luck with your paper this weekend.

Soo... question.

I had started memorizing atomic masses and then, in my first full length (from AAMC) practice test I noticed these handy little periodic tables so I have been using their periodic table as I work through the chemistry problems in TBR. But, I was wondering, is this bad? I couldn't find anywhere that said we wouldn't have periodic tables on the test and seeings as they gave them in the practice I'd like to assume they will be in there... but I don't want to assume and be TOTALLY SCREWED.

?

Also. Did anyone else do reallyreallyreallyreally horribly in their first fl practice test?

Soo... question.

I had started memorizing atomic masses and then, in my first full length (from AAMC) practice test I noticed these handy little periodic tables so I have been using their periodic table as I work through the chemistry problems in TBR. But, I was wondering, is this bad? I couldn't find anywhere that said we wouldn't have periodic tables on the test and seeings as they gave them in the practice I'd like to assume they will be in there... but I don't want to assume and be TOTALLY SCREWED.

The periodic table will be available during the MCAT