The Official 8/17/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaurenMarie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's all dread this date together! :scared:

How/when are you guys studying? (i.e. SN2ed, Kaplan, TBR)

EDIT: I'm attaching simple charts I made to keep track of my progress for each set of passages for the SN2ed schedule. Its helpful to monitor how you are progressing and will show you what areas to work on. ENJOY :)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Physics Passage Scores.doc
    79 KB · Views: 253
  • Biology Passage Scores.doc
    73 KB · Views: 142
  • Organic Chemistry Passage Scores.doc
    67 KB · Views: 119
  • Verbal Reasoning.doc
    143 KB · Views: 109
  • General Chemistry Passage Scores.doc
    79.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
WOW that definitely distracted me from my results for a couple minutes.

Also, if only so I can come back and laugh when I bomb the test:
Predicting - 30, 10PS/12VR/8BS
Ecstatic - 33
Not surprised - 27

Scores are up, literally weeping:
34 - 13PS/11VR/10BS

Holy hell maybe there is a God.

my score is up.

i haz a sad. score was what i expected. scored absurdly high on the writing even though it doesn't count for anything...

hope other people are happy with their scores.

MCAT1 on 3/24= 9/9/10, 28P
(AAMC average for all was about 28)

Studied over the summer using TBR CBTs (Average being 27..these were unrealistic IMO)

MCAT2 on 8/17= 10/11/10, 31O

Thought I did better on PS but I will take it. Thank goodness its all over! I am surprised with an 11 on verbal as I really did not practice this...I feel it is 95% being able to get in the zone and focus on the passages.

I hope you all achieved your goals!

Members don't see this ad :)
My thoughts right after the test

Honestly, I felt like I got destroyed on every section and that the level of destruction got worse with each section.

PS: I normally do well in PS, but I definitely felt like I did much worse than I usually do. I can't really remember specific parts that I thought were hard (except 1 discrete I know I got wrong) but I felt like crap right after.

VR: I struggled with this section a lot today. Verbal is verbal though. I never like it.

BS: I think this explains it better than words can..
2m32vll.jpg

From yesterday

AAMC average: 32.5 (PS 12.25, VR 10, BS 10.25) (n=8)
Goal: 33
Prediction: 24L (PS 10, VR 7, BS 7)
Actual: ......:scared:

Actual: 32M (PS 11, VR 9, BS 12)

HOW did I get a freaking 12 in bio?! But uggggh at the M

8 VR
14 PS
9 BS

31Q

Never got below a 11 on AAMC BS sections and I got 8 VR twice on all the AAMCs. I guess test-day nerves got me...retaking in January.

Last edited:
PS:12
VR:09
WR:Q
BS:10

Total: 31Q

So glad this **** god foresaken test is over. Never taking it again, and I'm burning my study materials. Time to get drunk.

8 VR
14 P
9 BS

31Q

Never got below a 11 on AAMC BS sections and I got 8 VR twice on all the AAMCs. I guess test-day nerves got me...retaking in January.

So my first one was 9/11/9
This time was 10/8/11.....should i retake even though i had a great verbal the first time?

PS = 12 (Thought I nailed it with a 13, but I guess everyone else did too)
VR = 07 (yikes, 7!!! Never got below 10, avg 11 on AAMC's! Was expecting 8-9, 10 with a curve)
BS = 12 (WTF? Was sure that would be an 8-9. Apparently everyone bombed this section too!)
Total: 31O

Still awaiting my 09/06/12 retake results....felt like 10/10/10 which would be fine to get rid of that 7 in VR. Either way...signing up for a Jan retake as soon as possible.

Last edited:
VR - 8 (was best section in all practice

PS - 10

BS - 11

Borderline lowest acceptable score

PS : 12
VR : 11
BS : 9
Total: 32R

I am pretty happy with the overall score. Just a little down about the bio even though I knew I tanked it. Should I retake it with a 9?

So i got PS 9 BS 9 VR 11 (7/14/2012)
then PS 10 BS 11 VR 8 (8/17/2012)... what do i do?
obviously i'm not horrible at verbal bc i got 11 the first time.

Just got my scores:

PS: 12
VR: 13
BS: 14
WS: S
CS: 39S

So excited right now!

I find it funny that I got 12 in PS just like every other practice ever. VR I'm surprised since 13 was my highest PT score and I only got that once; I chalk that up to getting really lucky that our test was weird in that it had only 1 humanities passage (where most of my VR mistakes came from on PTs). With BS I think the only reason I didn't get 15 is because of that orgo passage which was, of course, the orgo topic I covered the least during study. Not that I'm complaining about a 14 though.

Anyway, looks like most people got 30+ in this thread, good job guys!

30R...........

11 PS/ 8 VR/ 11 BS

Should I retake? Advice very much needed :/

I got the same exact score... VERY disappointed. Scored 11 on VR on AAMC 9, 10, 11 and 13 on AAMC 8 verbal. What the F*** happened? :( I felt like it went well too... god this stupid test shows nothing about you or what you know. I feel like I TANKED bio and got an 11? stupid.

I might just apply with it anyway. This is my second time taking (first was a 29Q). Too bad writing counts for nothing. Maybe try to bring your GPA up if you can and work on extra curriculars? 30 is like the lowest you should have to apply and possibly get an interview..

My score is up!!! 38O VR 9 PS 14 BS 15

I'm super stoked! I got what I predicted, but just not in the way I thought. I was expected VR 11 PS 14 and BS 13. A 9 on VR won't hold me back will it?

Last edited:
How the heck are so many of you all getting these ridiculously high scores. Like 95th%ile and up? Jesus Christ, join MENSA.

My score is up!!! 38O VR 9 PS 14 BS 15

I'm super stoked! I got what I predicted, but just not in the way I thought. I was expected VR 11 PS 14 and BS 13. A 9 on VR won't hold me back will it?

No, I JUST talked to my premedical advisor about my 9 on verbal. It's not really a problem, for the most part, unless you're planning on applying to Harvard-level schools.

No, I JUST talked to my premedical advisor about my 9 on verbal. It's not really a problem, for the most part, unless you're planning on applying to Harvard-level schools.

I am hoping to get into more top tier Cali schools. Born and raised in Cali, and I don't want to leave just quite yet!

I am hoping to get into more top tier Cali schools. Born and raised in Cali, and I don't want to leave just quite yet!

You'll be okay, bro. Consider that they also consider your score overall, and your interview and essays. We have a chance to make up for the verbal score.

Yeah, it was a rough verbal, considering on AAMC 5-11 my average was around 11.3. That's actually the worst I did on any AAMC VR, although I got a couple 9s on Kaplans VR.

PS:8 (the hell? thought I made a 10+)
VR:9 (thought I tanked)
BS:10 (thought I tanked, bad)
Writing: N

So overall 27N. My AAMC average was ~25.

Not a great score by no means but I think it might work for me with my school choices, EC and masters degree.

BS 10/ PS 11/ VR 12/ WR O
Overall: 33O :(

Should I retake?

With a 3.84 overall and 3.7 BCMP, do I have a chance at the top 10? Or am I just kidding myself?

Thanks!

BS 10/ PS 11/ VR 12/ WR O
Overall: 33O :(

Should I retake?

With a 3.84 overall and 3.7 BCMP, do I have a chance at the top 10? Or am I just kidding myself?

Thanks!

I would take that score and run to some upper mid ranked school. You never know if you'll score higher or lower on the next. Either way, don't retake.

To everyone who did a great job on this exam, congratulations! To everyone who felt like they didn't reach their full potential on it, be mindful of the fact that it is simply one factor in the whole. We have interviews and essays which can push our application to be better, and we have our grades and our extracurriculars. The MCAT is NOT everything, whether you have a scored a 40 or a 29 on it.

So chin up. The next stage begins now.

32O! (11PS, 8VR, 13BS)

Had retaken the test from 28P (9PS, 11VR, 8BS)

I'm still in shock. Especially with BS. Barely got any sleep the night before (less than 4 hours) for the 1pm test. So my brain felt pretty fried by the time I got to BS. To end up with a 13...:eek:

Do you think UCSF will take me? Hehe. That's my only reach school. (have a 3.9 GPA and did an internship with them last year)

27N... (12PS, 8V, 7BS )

i am so angry right now....BS screwed me just as i predicted....i was averaging 10-11 on all my AAMC's...now i have everything riding on my 9/6 scores....

is it tru that the cap on MCAT's allowed alltogether is 3? or just 3 a year? will med schools start looking down on u if u take the test more than 3 times?