The Official 8/4/12 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mehd School

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's in? I just rescheduled from June 21st. I've been studying off and on since late march, but really started to kick it in about three weeks ago. Applying DO this cycle.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

So, I stayed away from this thread and submitted a bunch of secondaries instead, fearing what happened last time: an inundation of 39+ with several 41+ and no honest posters.

Wow. I had to multiquote because there were so many of you I felt deserved a response, and more importantly, encouragement. Here goes...
good job Deutsch Arzt, i was rooting for u!!!
Thank you so much! Likewise mein freund.
I guess I will have the lowest for this thread 22Q (6 PS/7VR/9BS). I got the lower end of my range 22-29 with my average at 25. My PS score went down from my practices and I gained 2 points for VR. My practice PS/BS range (8-10). This sucks! I will be taking it a 4th time (5th including void). I need a prep course because nothing I'm doing is working. I did better for writing P => Q. I guess the good thing is that the less than week technique for VR helped me and my first two rushed/haphazard attempts were in 2009, so they don't count. I can't believe I studied so long and stilled did crappy. It's better than 18P, but still... I need to figure out why I suck so much at standardized test. I felt I was going to get less than 20.

Do any of you 35+ people want to donate a few points to my lame score? LOL I am already verified for this cycle, so I guess I will finish riding it out.

First off, I'm sorry you're so bummed. I know how it feels. I made one point higher than you on my first try. But this time around I jumped 6 points. Nothing like a 15 to 29, but that happened, too (below). Try hiring a private tutoring company to help identify your weakness. Kaplan and Princeton Review are for profit corporations with very inflexible approaches. I assure you, unless it's an issue of devoting time, you can achieve the same benefit from buying the books off a friend that took the course (what I did). The impetus to attend their classes and listen to the material in lecture style is really the only other advantage beyond the book themselves, IMO. I wish you the best of luck. I know you can improve. After all, you've already improved. You just need to continue improving. :)
So here is my story. First time I took the exam I scored a 15. Retook the exam a year later thinking I had spent enough quality time with the material and scored a 19. An increase but still not early enough. After this exam I received orders to go to Afghanistan and retook the exam a couple of months later hoping that luck was on my side and I would get a decent score. I scored a 20. Needless to say I deployed to Afghanistan for a year. After returning home I enrolled in a Kaplan course and spent what seemed like every waking hour with the material and it more than paid off. I increased my score 9 points to a 29. 11PS, 8VR, 10BS. For all of you people who did well and received the scores you were hoping for congrats and good luck in the near future at your interviews. For all of you who are still trying, please don't give up. It can be done. Hang in there and keep after it. Good luck everyone!!!
Wow, let me just say con-grat-u-Fing-lations! That is an awesome and wonderful story! You should consider making an MDApps and post that story to encourage others like yourself to keep on truckin'.
Meh, I was debating posting, but I suppose it's a step in coming to terms with it.

Like a lot of people, I felt like I did pretty awful. And when I say awful I was expecting like below a 20 or something (it's my first time to take it so I had nothing to gauge by).

My score ended up being:
10 BS
6 PS
10 VR

= 26 R

I'm completely, utterly bummed about the PS score of course, but it really came of no surprise to me...

My former advisor from biology in undergrad (I just graduated in May) actually emailed me a month ago saying all the science departments were getting together to discuss improving preparing students for the MCAT, and he wanted my feedback. The main targets of this meeting? Our physics department. I only took a month to study (mainly to do with starting grad school in the summer), and I had so much to make up and teach myself.

I feel like with the other things on my app I still stand a decent shot at my state school. And I guess on the bright side, if I have to retake it again, it's only a matter of actually thoroughly learning the physics I was never taught. On a more positive note, wtf with my writing score? Can I donate some of that to physics? I thought I would bomb writing... not like it matters though.

I know how you feel. My physics department is in the same boat. The professors mean well, but just don't grasp how to effectively teach non-majors. They're a lot like Cal Tech in that they expect ALL of their students to have an innate aptitude for physics, which I clearly don't.

But rest assured, your second assumption may very well come true. I still landed interviews at each of my state schools and a waitlist spot with a 23O last year. The waitlist school had the least amount of WL movement ever that year; and I obviously didn't make it. But it totally would've happened if they continued their trend of accepting slightly double their student body as in previous years. I wish you much luck. Write those secondaries like there's no tomorrow!
Hey don't worry too much about that 22. The first time I took it, I got a 21 and STILL got in to school. Needless to say, my GPA is extremely strong and I have tons of ECs, plus it was an in-state school.

Anyway, I re-took it and got a 25 (which still isn't a 30+), but I know I am competitive with the schools to which I re-applied.

Kind of random but I just wanted to say that you're awesome for being honest and posting this. The MCAT is a difficult test and SUCKSSS

Wow, that's awesome that you got in with a 21! Congrats! Did you pass on it? I'm a little confused as to why you retook if you were accepted. Either way, awesome to see that some schools realize the genuinely haphazard nature of this whole process.

Hey don't worry too much about that 22. The first time I took it, I got a 21 and STILL got in to school. :) Needless to say, my GPA is extremely strong and I have tons of ECs, plus it was an in-state school.

Anyway, I re-took it and got a 25 (which still isn't a 30+), but I know I am competitive with the schools to which I re-applied.

Kind of random but I just wanted to say that you're awesome for being honest and posting this. The MCAT is a difficult test and SUCKSSS

Thanks. I know I need to correct my standardized test-taking issues before the boards. It's more personal than, "Oh I need this for entrance". I clearly have a weakness that need to be remedied. My cgpa is 3.5 and sgpa 3.3, so I need a higher score. Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep going at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, I'm sorry you're so bummed. I know how it feels. I made one point higher than you on my first try. But this time around I jumped 6 points. Nothing like a 15 to 29, but that happened, too (below). Try hiring a private tutoring company to help identify your weakness. Kaplan and Princeton Review are for profit corporations with very inflexible approaches. I assure you, unless it's an issue of devoting time, you can achieve the same benefit from buying the books off a friend that took the course (what I did). The impetus to attend their classes and listen to the material in lecture style is really the only other advantage beyond the book themselves, IMO. I wish you the best of luck. I know you can improve. After all, you've already improved. You just need to continue improving. :)

Yeah I hear you and that is why I wanted to really focus on it on my own for a year. Clearly, I need outside help. I felt I knew all I needed to know, but need to do a better job handling the questions. I think foundation is 50% and test-taking is the other 50%. I am half-way there. Thanks for the encouragement. I just want people to see that not everyone on here are rockstars. I am a normal, average person with average talents.

Congrats to everyone else! I am proud you all did well! I'm up next! Good luck with all your endeavors!

Last edited:
So, I stayed away from this thread and submitted a bunch of secondaries instead, fearing what happened last time: an inundation of 39+ with several 41+ and no honest posters.

I understand that it is frustrating to see 40+ scores, but I promise not ALL of them are fake. Though I see how that kind of thing could happen often on this forum, I think it is rude to make assumptions when congratulations may be due.

That said, congratulations to all who are done with the MCAT! To those who will have to retake, better luck next time! You have a community of brilliant minds here to support you and I'm sure that with enough practice you will be able to reach your ideal scores :)!

I understand that it is frustrating to see 40+ scores, but I promise not ALL of them are fake. Though I see how that kind of thing could happen often on this forum, I think it is rude to make assumptions when congratulations may be due.

That said, congratulations to all who are done with the MCAT! To those who will have to retake, better luck next time! You have a community of brilliant minds here to support you and I'm sure that with enough practice you will be able to reach your ideal scores :)!
No, no, no. I didn't mean to imply they were fake, only that those with lower scores kept it to themselves in my thread last year. Crap, I need to pay more attention to how I write before I post.

Wow, that's awesome that you got in with a 21! Congrats! Did you pass on it? I'm a little confused as to why you retook if you were accepted. Either way, awesome to see that some schools realize the genuinely haphazard nature of this whole process.[/QUOTE]

I did pass up on the '21 MCAT acceptance school' for a large number of reasons. Primarily because I didn't study (literally, at all) the first time and knew that I could do wayyy better. Also, I didn't really feel at home when I interviewed at the school and met the other pre-meds with which I was interviewing. Que sera sera, right?

It's very nice to see such positive people on this website! These are our future co-workers.

I know how you feel. My physics department is in the same boat. The professors mean well, but just don't grasp how to effectively teach non-majors. They're a lot like Cal Tech in that they expect ALL of their students to have an innate aptitude for physics, which I clearly don't.

But rest assured, your second assumption may very well come true. I still landed interviews at each of my state schools and a waitlist spot with a 23O last year. The waitlist school had the least amount of WL movement ever that year; and I obviously didn't make it. But it totally would've happened if they continued their trend of accepting slightly double their student body as in previous years. I wish you much luck. Write those secondaries like there's no tomorrow!

Hey, thanks. Seriously, a positive comment means a lot. Arkansas actually only has one school, and all in-state residents are guaranteed interviews. I scheduled mine last month before my scores were even in. I know I'm lucky in that regard. I applied to a few others too.

I felt good about everything else for this application cycle, and I know the things I do this year are only going to improve my chances if I have to apply again next year. I'm loving the volunteer stuff I'm lining up for this year. New Orleans is just such an awesome city to be involved in. I'm taking 17 grad hours, and I'm stoked that I'm still excited about volunteering, which might be a bit crazy. :laugh:

I only studied for a month because I decided late to go ahead and roll the dice this year. I didn't take any practice tests because I knew if I made low on one and wasn't able to get enough in in that month that I would completely freak out before the actual test. I'm sure I sound CRAZY to some users on here. My biggest comfort though is that I made what I did on fairly minimal preparation. There are so many things I can do better next time if required, and I feel (or am trying to convince myself that I feel) confident that those things will definitely improve my score.

Hey, thanks. Seriously, a positive comment means a lot. Arkansas actually only has one school, and all in-state residents are guaranteed interviews. I scheduled mine last month before my scores were even in. I know I'm lucky in that regard. I applied to a few others too.

I felt good about everything else for this application cycle, and I know the things I do this year are only going to improve my chances if I have to apply again next year. I'm loving the volunteer stuff I'm lining up for this year. New Orleans is just such an awesome city to be involved in. I'm taking 17 grad hours, and I'm stoked that I'm still excited about volunteering, which might be a bit crazy. :laugh:

I only studied for a month because I decided late to go ahead and roll the dice this year. I didn't take any practice tests because I knew if I made low on one and wasn't able to get enough in in that month that I would completely freak out before the actual test. I'm sure I sound CRAZY to some users on here. My biggest comfort though is that I made what I did on fairly minimal preparation. There are so many things I can do better next time if required, and I feel (or am trying to convince myself that I feel) confident that those things will definitely improve my score.

Hey I see a fellow Arkansan! Just to ease your mind a bit, I was placed on the alternate list at UAMS last year with a score similar to yours. They really want people who are caring, which allows you to make up for a mediocre MCAT with other areas of your application.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Congressional Districts, but I was in the 2nd, which is one of the hardest (also 3rd is tough). I would say that you have a pretty good chance of getting in with a 26 if you're from the 1st or 4th (and have good ECs).

Good luck to you, and hopefully I'll see you next year at UAMS!

AR resident and UAMS applicant here too, 8-3 test taker. I have a friend (with his own practice) that got through at UAMS with a 24. He just knew the right people and had great EC's. He's mid 30s now and it's getting tougher and tougher, but I wouldn't count yourself out just yet by any means.

Lucky for me, I scored a 29 on my first shot and am from District 1 (every time I say that, I feel like I'm an extra from the Hunger Games).

Hopefully I'll see you and Wompy there next year!

edit: Assuming my freaking profs finish their letters of recommendation that is.. Anyone want to share some insight as to how to light a fire under a professor without pissing him/her off? ;)

Hey I see a fellow Arkansan! Just to ease your mind a bit, I was placed on the alternate list at UAMS last year with a score similar to yours. They really want people who are caring, which allows you to make up for a mediocre MCAT with other areas of your application.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Congressional Districts, but I was in the 2nd, which is one of the hardest (also 3rd is tough). I would say that you have a pretty good chance of getting in with a 26 if you're from the 1st or 4th (and have good ECs).

Good luck to you, and hopefully I'll see you next year at UAMS!

You're probably going to kick me when I say that I'm from district 4 and the chair of pediatrics wrote of one my letters. :laugh: He's from my alma mater, and I shadowed him while I interned for ACHRI last summer. I just know anything below a 7 is a red flag so I want to be realistic about my weaknesses.

AR resident and UAMS applicant here too, 8-3 test taker. I have a friend (with his own practice) that got through at UAMS with a 24. He just knew the right people and had great EC's. He's mid 30s now and it's getting tougher and tougher, but I wouldn't count yourself out just yet by any means.

I love fellow Arkansas encouragement. :D

Last edited:
For me, I found reading the economist every day pretty helpful in terms of getting used to unfamiliar verbal articles about different areas around the world. Also, while BR and EK are great for gathering information from getting questions wrong (I did every question from each book btw), the AAMC really has its own style of asking questions and so loading up on those questions the week before I thought helped get me into the right mentality, even if they were from old exams that I had already done. The biggest thing for me was realizing that the MCAT does not really ask trick questions, which is something I lost sight of when doing a ton of the 1001 EK books and when I was torn between 2 choices, I went for the more obvious answer.

Just a side note, I absolutely hated EK Bio 1001 and would honestly only recommend doing the discrete questions from that book. Also, I did about 4-5 questions worse on average on the BR Verbal book than on AAMC tests and EK 101 Verbal so don't be discouraged if you're not doing as well on those practice tests.

Found your above quote helpful. I'm going through EK 1001 Physics and I hate sneaky trick questions. I'm glad those aren't on the MCAT.

Could you clarify on your second paragraph? Did you hate EK Bio or EK Bio 1001. I don't get it because you said you only did the discreets on EK Bio 1001. I haven't gotten the Bio 1001, but do you mean it has both passage and discreet questions and you only recommend the discreet ones?

Cheers and congrats on the awesome score.

If any of you guys have the Berkeley Review books and want to sell them, message me and let me know