The Official 9/1/12 MCAT Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osprey099

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen this thread anywhere so I decided to take the initiative and make it. Anyone else signed up for this test date?

I'm into my second week of review and using all TBR, EK, EK1001 books.

my scores so far on practices (based on TBR score conversion, which is pretty generous but the questions are hard):

TBR Physics Section 1 (Translational Motion): 39/52 (12)
TBR Gen Chem Section 1 (Stoic): 81/100 (12)
TBR Gen Chem Section 2 (Atomic Theory): 81/100 (12)
Currently working on Physics Sections 2 and 3 and Chem Section 3. Will post again in a couple of days.

Keep this thread alive guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Signed up for the MCAT this morning, taking it on this date. Will be following a modified version of SN2ed stickied 3 month plan with more practice exams. Today is Day 1 for me, good luck everyone :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I did sign up for the test but I'm still unsure of myself. :( Retaking a 29 from last year but I also have a full time job to juggle and I'm not sure if I can improve but for now I'm registered.

I'm taking it as well.

PS is my weakest area. Currently I'm getting 8-9s. Solid 10s in VR and BS. I've been using the free AAMC tests 3 & 11. Studying with Examcrackers, Kaplan, and Barron's review.

This thread does exist!!! Lol I've been doing content review for the past 3-4 weeks. Currently on vacation so a nice one week off then starting up with practice problems/FL's leading up to September. Good luck everyone :)

About a month into my studying...

Following SN2ed 3-month study schedule with my own modifications. Taking the aamc practice tests all in august after serious content review and berkley practice passages...
Using Berkley for the sciences and Princeton (+ hyperlearning) for verbal.

This will be a retake for me from last year and hoping to reapply next cycle. I was pretty weak in the PS and VR section so Im focusing the majority of my time improving those this summer. I did really good in the BS last year so I just gotta maintain my strategy for that section and then some.

I might switch to 9/7 depending on my readiness as the summer progresses.

& Ive been warned to stay away from SDN while studying for the mcats (which I didnt listen to last year and regret), so this will probably be the last post from me until after we sit for the exam when we post our feelings hehe

btw did anyone buy the the new AAMC self-assesment questions? How are they?

Good luck everyoneeee!

I may be joining you all shortly. My exam was scheduled for 7/14, but my testing center was closed indefinitely; I was just notified yesterday. Little upset, but I'm glad I was not planning on applying this cycle.

I am super pumped about the September 1st date! I worked too hard over the years overcoming personal issues and I am going to thrive!! I hope we all can help each other out being supportive and encouraging to thrive all together! :)

Great to see there are some people in the same boat as me.....Im hoping to be done with content review by August 1st. Its practice practice practice after that...

47 days and counting :scared:

lol we have 2 threads for the same date, can a mod merge these two threads
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=920262

I am taking the 9/1/12 mcat as well!
Next 12 days, working my way through the TPRSWB bio passages and TBR Chem1/Physics1 passages I have left.

LETS DOO THIS!

:thumbup:

Since you have both TPRHL WBK and TBR, do you think TPRHL WK for gen chem/physics/orgo is better than the TBR practice for gen chem/physics/orgo? I know that TPRHL Bio is better.

:thumbup:

Since you have both TPRHL WBK and TBR, do you think TPRHL WK for gen chem/physics/orgo is better than the TBR practice for gen chem/physics/orgo? I know that TPRHL Bio is better.
I didnt do any physics/chem from the TPRHL WB but I did skim the first passages and see the answers. And the reason I did that was too see how the detailed the solutions were. TBR presents solutions very nicely and detailed, they explain why each answer is wrong, while TPRHL WB doesnt do that all the time (only one the longer passages/advanced passages). I feel that detailed solutions are necessary to understand and learn, esp for physics/chem.

As a sidenote, I really never learned gen chem2 and TBR actually thought it to me, I never thought I'd learn it but its possible, they know how to teach!

On board for Sept 1st. I was attempting to pull of Sn2ed's 3 mo plan but failed miserably.
I have all the material. Ek 1001(101), BR's, Kaplan access to AAMC's FL and Kaplan FL. TPR sciences and verbal workbook. However, I have not had time for any of EK's. I feel really dumb. The BR content review has been exhausting. I have not had breaks in my schedule. I complete the content review in full detail and jot down every word. I will then attempt the 1/3 passages rather slowly and take notes very carefully and study it thoroughly. I pull of perhaps 9-10 score on all sections. However Biology can be really unpredictable. ranging from 12's to 6's. I consider myself having a good biochem, genetics and research background. But BR bio is crazy sometimes. I have no history of physics whatsoever. I have the credits but at my undergrad physics was a joke in a sense that a test review was the test! I concentrated on other courses while concurrently taking physics. TPRH verbal has been more of a rhythm type deal. If work on four passages daily I can score 10's no matter what passages, perhaps more points. If I am out of verbal practice for some days I will start of at 6-7 score then in a couple of days I can get it back to 8 or 9 and in a week back to 10's maybe. I still have the last chapter of each BR sections to complete. Physics (optics), Gen chem (electrochem), Orgo (labs) and Bio(populations). I am nervous about the AAMC's next week and as excited as well. I fear I have forgotten all previous chapters content for BR. Its been almost 40 chapters since early june!!! I have had no time to work on the second or third (1/3)'s. This scares me. I am also 30 yrs old. I am a father of a 2 year old boy and a high school drop out. I have a GED from 2005 however 4.0 GPA with 90+ hours in 2 years of university undergrad. First summer I had research at a Cancer lab in a Med school. This summer I am in clinical research for a top medical institute in the world!! Mayo if u must know. I have 5 experience as a Limited Radiology tech. I am very nervous scared to let my wife and little boy down because I spent so much time away from them. I am not smart I just try and study a lot. Many have told me to attempt to apply this coming cycle. I think this will be too stressful because I am taking Advanced Biochem and Histology(two toughies at my undergrad) along with other courses this fall. I plan to take full lengths all of Aug. If i can hit atleast a 25-30 in one of my AAMC's. I might consider applying to TMDSAS. Is this to far fetched????. How is everyone else's studies coming along? I fear I am not prepping correctly. I haven't time myself yet. However I work well under pressure. My major concern has been just learning material, not exactly rushing through it. Is this bad? Can someone guarantee I will be ok!!! LOL. I am going crazy. Sometime I feel crazy when I pull of 24 hour days. I gotta do this though. I just wanted to share my story. I hope some of you all have some great advice for me.

On board for Sept 1st. I was attempting to pull of Sn2ed's 3 mo plan but failed miserably.
I have all the material. Ek 1001(101), BR's, Kaplan access to AAMC's FL and Kaplan FL. TPR sciences and verbal workbook. However, I have not had time for any of EK's. I feel really dumb. The BR content review has been exhausting. I have not had breaks in my schedule. I complete the content review in full detail and jot down every word. I will then attempt the 1/3 passages rather slowly and take notes very carefully and study it thoroughly. I pull of perhaps 9-10 score on all sections. However Biology can be really unpredictable. ranging from 12's to 6's. I consider myself having a good biochem, genetics and research background. But BR bio is crazy sometimes. I have no history of physics whatsoever. I have the credits but at my undergrad physics was a joke in a sense that a test review was the test! I concentrated on other courses while concurrently taking physics. TPRH verbal has been more of a rhythm type deal. If work on four passages daily I can score 10's no matter what passages, perhaps more points. If I am out of verbal practice for some days I will start of at 6-7 score then in a couple of days I can get it back to 8 or 9 and in a week back to 10's maybe. I still have the last chapter of each BR sections to complete. Physics (optics), Gen chem (electrochem), Orgo (labs) and Bio(populations). I am nervous about the AAMC's next week and as excited as well. I fear I have forgotten all previous chapters content for BR. Its been almost 40 chapters since early june!!! I have had no time to work on the second or third (1/3)'s. This scares me. I am also 30 yrs old. I am a father of a 2 year old boy and a high school drop out. I have a GED from 2005 however 4.0 GPA with 90+ hours in 2 years of university undergrad. First summer I had research at a Cancer lab in a Med school. This summer I am in clinical research for a top medical institute in the world!! Mayo if u must know. I have 5 experience as a Limited Radiology tech. I am very nervous scared to let my wife and little boy down because I spent so much time away from them. I am not smart I just try and study a lot. Many have told me to attempt to apply this coming cycle. I think this will be too stressful because I am taking Advanced Biochem and Histology(two toughies at my undergrad) along with other courses this fall. I plan to take full lengths all of Aug. If i can hit atleast a 25-30 in one of my AAMC's. I might consider applying to TMDSAS. Is this to far fetched????. How is everyone else's studies coming along? I fear I am not prepping correctly. I haven't time myself yet. However I work well under pressure. My major concern has been just learning material, not exactly rushing through it. Is this bad? Can someone guarantee I will be ok!!! LOL. I am going crazy. Sometime I feel crazy when I pull of 24 hour days. I gotta do this though. I just wanted to share my story. I hope some of you all have some great advice for me.

Sadly, I agree. Have you ever tried drinking white tea? It has lots of L-theanine in it. That stuff is amazing.