The Official 9/7/12 MCAT Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FacelessMage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How's the studying going? (I feel like I'm alone in taking this test date)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that these threads for our test date are starting to appear is scaring me. D-DAY IS GETTING CLOSER FELLOW PREMEDS

Just got my score back from the June 21st date.... and here I am... I am assuming there are mostly retakers on here

Just got my score back from the June 21st date.... and here I am... I am assuming there are mostly retakers on here

Yup. 5/31 retaker. Not sure how I hit 5 points below my average of all the aamc tests but oh well, just gotta study harder and go in more confident.

I'm going to buy a few GS tests and retake some of the AAMCs. What tests are you retakers gonna use?

Yup. 5/31 retaker. Not sure how I hit 5 points below my average of all the aamc tests but oh well, just gotta study harder and go in more confident.

I'm going to buy a few GS tests and retake some of the AAMCs. What tests are you retakers gonna use?

Re-taker here too! Let's go 9/7/2012!!!!!
TPR all the way this time.
Good luck to all!!

I've been waiting for someone to start this thread! First timer, applying next cycle. I'm still not that far through my study material, but most stuff is pretty fresh since I just finished my physics and ochem. Taking my second AAMC full length next week for a "check up".

I'm also a first timer applying next cycle, how's everyone doing on their FL/content reivew?

I'm also a first timer applying next cycle, how's everyone doing on their FL/content reivew?

I'll also be a first time test-taker and will likely apply next year. I'm currently finishing up Bio content review and will be done with complete content review in a week or so; need to finish up some o-chem review.

I've only taken 1 full length so far (Kaplan 1). This was before I reviewed Bio, so I hope I've improved since then. =\ I got a 33 (14 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS).

Anyone else using Kaplan?

I'm retaking a bad score from last year, and will be applying this cycle (Canadian). I'm pretty much done content review now, and I'm basically doing as many questions as I can get my hands on and brushing up on my weak areas.

It's coming up so fast. :eek:

On board for Sept 7th. First and LAST try at MCAT!

Date FL PS - VR - BS Cumulative
8/8/12 AAMC 3 - 10 7 9 26

I was scoring 12's and 13's on EK101 VR. Kind of surprised there.
Honestly, I was expecting a 22 on AAMC 3 and I would have been happy. Timing is getting me. I also felt lucky is that normal???

1 month to go. Any advice?????? will begin my AAMC FL review tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)

Date FL PS - VR - BS Cumulative
8/8/12 AAMC 3 - 10 7 9 26

I was scoring 12's and 13's on EK101 VR. Kind of surprised there.
Honestly, I was expecting a 22 on AAMC 3 and I would have been happy. Timing is getting me. I also felt lucky is that normal???

1 month to go. Any advice?????? will begin my AAMC FL review tomorrow.

I pulled a 13, 9, 11 on AAMC 3 and i thought the verbal was pretty tough. That Confuscious passage was friggin crazy. And I oddly think the EK are a bit easier than AAMC verbal.

I just took AAMC 3 today.... 9-6-8.... Very discouraged. I'm thinking of rescheduling for next year (Don't have to take it this year). I was averaging a 12 in EK passages after 9 passages...

It's my first practice exam besides Kap 1+2. My goal is a 30 but damn, I don't think I can make that kind of improvement.

I just took AAMC 3 today.... 9-6-8.... Very discouraged. I'm thinking of rescheduling for next year (Don't have to take it this year). I was averaging a 12 in EK passages after 9 passages...

It's my first practice exam besides Kap 1+2. My goal is a 30 but damn, I don't think I can make that kind of improvement.

How were your Kaplan 1 and 2 scores? What do you think of reviewing your mistakes, makes notes and then see how you improve with another couple or several aamcs?

How are things shaping up for the rest of you 9 7'ers? I know I've been pretty distracted these past two weeks with the olympics, but now that it is over I'm going to try to spend a lot more time going through practice sectional tests and working on my weaknesses as well as taking 1 FL/ week.

Took AAMC #8 today. Got 8/13/9. I'm so incredibly frustrated that my scores in PS and BS aren't going up despite devoting all my time to these sections. Any advice? I think my major problem with the BS is ochem... the highest I've been able to get in BS was a 10, and I'm aiming for 11 so I can make school cut-offs. Also aiming for a 10 in PS so we'll see if that happens...

Date-----------FL-----------------PS---VR---BS-----Cumulative
8/08/12- AAMC 3 ------------10-----7-------9----------26
8/14/12 -AAMC 4--------------8------9------10---------27

Okay, here is the break down, perhaps, excuses.
I only studied 2 days during this almost 5-6 day break.

I analyzed my previous verbal in full detail. AAMC 4 VR was not as challenging as AAMC 3.

PS started of easy then the concepts blew me out of the water. I was totally lost. I need some serious review of solutions chemistry. I ran out of time and guessed on 1 whole passage!!!

BS a little more comfortable but still ran out of time! I missed the entire last organic passage. Got every question wrong!

Other details. Had a horrendous headache. I expected a score in the low 20s. What are my chances to hit 34-35 before AAMC 11? Advice anyone!!!? aaah freaking out!

Okay, here is the break down, perhaps, excuses.
I only studied 2 days during this almost 5-6 day break.

I analyzed my previous verbal in full detail. AAMC 4 VR was not as challenging as AAMC 3.

PS started of easy then the concepts blew me out of the water. I was totally lost. I need some serious review of solutions chemistry. I ran out of time and guessed on 1 whole passage!!!

BS a little more comfortable but still ran out of time! I missed the entire last organic passage. Got every question wrong!

Other details. Had a horrendous headache. I expected a score in the low 20s. What are my chances to hit 34-35 before AAMC 11? Advice anyone!!!? aaah freaking out!
It's probably very difficult to improve 8 points in a matter of two weeks, but I think if you really brush up on the subjects you are having trouble with such as solution chemistry, I think you will see much better results.

Hey everyone, been a lurker for quite some time now, but anyway, first-timer here!

I can't believe that there are less than four weeks til the exam D:

Took AAMC #8 today. Got 8/13/9. I'm so incredibly frustrated that my scores in PS and BS aren't going up despite devoting all my time to these sections. Any advice? I think my major problem with the BS is ochem... the highest I've been able to get in BS was a 10, and I'm aiming for 11 so I can make school cut-offs. Also aiming for a 10 in PS so we'll see if that happens...

With my scores of 14/8/13 and 12/7/12. I think you and I should meet up and trade some brains before the 7th. I could use some VR.

On PS, know all of the physics formulas for sure. If you see values, plug em in. If you try any calculations and your answer doesn't appear in the answer choices, just guess and move on because time used to be an issue for me on PS and I am way better at the PS when time isn't an issue.

With my scores of 14/8/13 and 12/7/12. I think you and I should meet up and trade some brains before the 7th. I could use some VR.

On PS, know all of the physics formulas for sure. If you see values, plug em in. If you try any calculations and your answer doesn't appear in the answer choices, just guess and move on because time used to be an issue for me on PS and I am way better at the PS when time isn't an issue.

Thanks so much for the advice! I've slowly been memorizing formulas/concepts by watching Khan videos, so hopefully I can have everything down by test day. I really do not want to have to take this thing again.

For verbal, it really does help to go back over all your old tests, and write out explanations for each question as to why you got it right/wrong. I did this, and it really helped me to identify patterns in common errors I was making while answering questions.

Thanks so much for the advice! I've slowly been memorizing formulas/concepts by watching Khan videos, so hopefully I can have everything down by test day. I really do not want to have to take this thing again.

For verbal, it really does help to go back over all your old tests, and write out explanations for each question as to why you got it right/wrong. I did this, and it really helped me to identify patterns in common errors I was making while answering questions.

I hear you. This is my third and last attempt. I've looked over verbal explanations and I have all the question stems recognized when I take the exams as well. The thing that always trips me up is that there is always an answer that seems to twist my knowledge and I end up choosing the more broad answer, afraid that the other answer will be too specific. My reasoning is like putty in this section. I always hate it when I think of my answer before I read the answer choices and it doesn't seem like any of them match my ideal answer.

As far as sciences, I would recommend the TPR Science Workbook for practice passages as well. They do a good job of covering basic kinds of passages you'll see on the real exam. Just choose random ones to do and if you miss a question, go back and review EVERYTHING about that particular concept.

Date------------------FL-------------------PS---VR---BS-----Cumulative
Aug.08,2012::::AAMC-3-------------10-----7-------9----------26
Aug.14,2012::::AAMC-4--------------8------9------10---------27
Aug.18,2012::::AAMC-5--------------8------9------12---------29

I don't have a physics background, but physics seems so intuitive after two months of BR physics content review.

I further had no time to probe into EK 1001's during the month content review and I only did 1/3 of all BR passages.

Chemistry solutions still bugging and lowering my score.

Timing is still an issue, I did 15 minutes excess on PS section.

I have reviewed each AAMC I take thoroughly, however, I had no time to review any of my weak areas in the 2 day break in between AAMC 4 and 5.

Should I stop all aamc testing and go work on some extraneous PS subjects from BR passages or EK 1001? Or should I keep testing and reviewing concepts I am noticeably weak at?

I am from Texas and I want to matriculate into a Texas school(lower tuition and closeness to family). I think a 29 will suffice. But I don't want to take chances and I want to finish AAMC's at least with a 35-36 upward trend. I have 4 years medical field experience in X-rays, 2 summers in research at tops schools and 3.93 GPA, married and a father. What do you all think?

I'll keep posting progress.

Took my first real AAMC #3:

34 (9VR, 13PS, 12 BS)

Plan: Focus bulk of remaining content review on Physics and Gen Chem.

Practice Passages, Verbal, more FL's.

Well, I jumped ship and cancelled my 9/7 test date. I know I "donated" half of my money to AAMC but I don't see the point in taking a test I'm not sure I'm ready for, especially when I have all next spring to take it, (applying next year anyways). It seems to me that the MCAT is more of a strategy test, where if you know the tricks as well as some science knowledge you could do pretty well. I actually wish there was more Ochem on the test and less physics!

Good luck to everyone else taking it!

Hope everything is going well for everybody!

only 3 weeks left!

One thing I have to say is, make sure you relax. My first 2 AAMCs weren't so great because I lacked sleep, wasn't in the most quiet environment, and also because I felt so rushed all the time. The next two I took with more consistent sleep throughout the week and just told myself that I'm a badass in the mirror and my score went up a ton to 39 on both AAMC 5 and 7 (hopefully that trend continues and reflects on the real deal). Besides having background knowledge, a clear head also attributes to exam performance; so take a day to frolic and get your mind off the MCAT, probably the day or two before the test.

Good luck guys! LETS ACE THAT SHI

Just finished AAMC 7. My verbal score is just not improving. I scored my high on VR on AAMC 5... and it took a huge hit on AAMC 7. Sigh

Getting between 29-31 on practice exams, but I don't feel as prepared as I should. I'm thinking of re-scheduling for January 2013. Is retaking particularly bad? Or should I just cancel this one and go for Jan.

Aug. 22,2012:::AAMC-7--------------9------9------10---------28

AAAh! I am frustrated with not studying enough PS. I have 2 weeks!!!! F' this! Gotta go hard!!!!! I refuse to be bullied by some simple @$$ test! Why is thread so dead??? I feel like I want to pull motivation from other threads. Now, I'am just ranting.

Aug. 22,2012:::AAMC-7--------------9------9------10---------28

AAAh! I am frustrated with not studying enough PS. I have 2 weeks!!!! F' this! Gotta go hard!!!!! I refuse to be bullied by some simple @$$ test! Why is thread so dead??? I feel like I want to pull motivation from other threads. Now, I'am just ranting.

I came here from the 9/11 thread haha! I got a 26 in aamc3 also :\ But I took aamc5 and got 32! :] We can do this man, this summer sucked, we have to make it worthwhile! Finish strong! :thumbup:

Ugh, all I want is a 30 (with a 9 in PS). I'm averaging 28 now, and can't seem to get higher than 8 in PS. So frustrating....

Ugh, all I want is a 30 (with a 9 in PS). I'm averaging 28 now, and can't seem to get higher than 8 in PS. So frustrating....

Have you reviewed all of your FLs well to see what your weaknesses are? Try going online and finding review videos on the PS topics!

Is anyone else losing their drive/momentum? I'm struggling really hard to motivate myself to study anymore for this freaking test -_- I've been studying all summer and now I'm definitely feeling that burn out and all I want to do now is get this freaking exam over with and starting to not care about if I get a 30 or a 35... I just want my life back :(

Is anyone else losing their drive/momentum? I'm struggling really hard to motivate myself to study anymore for this freaking test -_- I've been studying all summer and now I'm definitely feeling that burn out and all I want to do now is get this freaking exam over with and starting to not care about if I get a 30 or a 35... I just want my life back :(

I'm exactly in your position. I feel like I've done all that I can, I really just want to give my all on the test already, and take a big relieving breath when I walk out of the test center

I feel the same way. :( It's literally consumed my every waking thought since May, ugh.

Same here. I'm just trying to motivate myself these last two weeks. I have 4 AAMC exams left and my verbal is not where I want it..... It keeps fluctuating. Hopefully it will go back normal

The oxyanion presented itself in such an angelical manner, only to later reveal itself as the antichrist. Who would have known the AAMC test makers drew inspiration from women.

Yeah. I actually managed to do well on that passage, but as you said Verbal was hard. It OWND me. Lowest score ever.

Yeah me too. I did well on the verbal section of AAMC 5 (which I felt great about after--and that rarely happens). But today, verbal was a killer. I only missed 1 on that earthquake passage. I've done a million questions on the doppler effect and ended up missing the last question of the passage because I couldn't figure out where the "detector" was :(

Yeah me too. I did well on the verbal section of AAMC 5 (which I felt great about after--and that rarely happens). But today, verbal was a killer. I only missed 1 on that earthquake passage. I've done a million questions on the doppler effect and ended up missing the last question of the passage because I couldn't figure out where the "detector" was :(

No way? I scored my highest on AAMC 5 too. lol.

13 days left including today!

When you guys plan on taking your last CBT practice test?

I have CBT#10 scheduled for Sept. 3rd, leaving me the 4th and 5th to review, and the 6th to relax.

Going to take my last two AAMCs next Saturday and the following Tuesday.

Adjusting the preparation strategy as follows:

1. Verbal. Take four remaining full-length exams on ExamKrackers.
2. Physical Sciences: Down to my final set of TBR Physics Book 2 passages. Will intensively review content for both General Chemistry using EK1001 and TBR as primary material. Best ROI for content review will be spent here.
3. O-chem. Review a few passages from hydrocarbons and nitrogen. Maybe do a couple of lab passages to become familiar. Will spend less time here as O-chem is a strength of mine, and very little Low ROI here as it.
4. Bio. Dropping TBR Bio from the mix. The passages are ridiculously unfair and stupid ---> Far worse and just weird compared to AAMC. Waste of time. Will take the two diagnostics left and that's it. Will focus on TPR Hyperlearning for Bio content review.
5. Learn how to write the MCAT essays. Very little time spent here.
6. Two full-length AAMCs left.

13 days left including today!

When you guys plan on taking your last CBT practice test?

I have CBT#10 scheduled for Sept. 3rd, leaving me the 4th and 5th to review, and the 6th to relax.

Tuesday the 4th. Review on the 5th, relax on the 6th, and do my best on the 7th.

Has anybody heard any feedback on the TBR bio diagnostics? Are they worth trying to squeeze in? Really pressed for time with 3 FL's still. Classes are getting in the way big time

I'm exactly in your position. I feel like I've done all that I can, I really just want to give my all on the test already, and take a big relieving breath when I walk out of the test center
I feel exactly the same way. I've been studying for three months and now am finding it hard to study. It's similar to pulling an all nighter for a paper. At the start to approximately 4 AM you are completely gung-ho and fueled to the brim with redbull. Towards the end, you are internally crying for this to be over