The Official 9/7/12 MCAT Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FacelessMage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How's the studying going? (I feel like I'm alone in taking this test date)

Members don't see this ad.

I feel exactly the same way. I've been studying for three months and now am finding it hard to study. It's similar to pulling an all nighter for a paper. At the start to approximately 4 AM you are completely gung-ho and fueled to the brim with redbull. Towards the end, you are internally crying for this to be over

I've only been studying seriously for about 4 weeks now, but 12 hour days at the library, hours of intense focus, and low-level chronic stress really wear you down pretty quickly. The best thing I have going for me is lifting every other day. All I do is lift and study.
If we can get through this week, I think it will be practically over. Next week the imminent exam will make the day-to-day feel insignificant, I think.

Fellow 9/7'er here. This last full week is a killer, big leaps can be made if we put in the work, at least in my situation.

Just shooting for a 10 in each section, so close! I've hit 9 in both BS and PS, but can't break an 8 on Verbal!

I've only been studying seriously for about 4 weeks now, but 12 hour days at the library, hours of intense focus, and low-level chronic stress really wear you down pretty quickly. The best thing I have going for me is lifting every other day. All I do is lift and study.
If we can get through this week, I think it will be practically over. Next week the imminent exam will make the day-to-day feel insignificant, I think.
I think I'll probably be crapping myself as the exam date approaches.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow 9/7'er here. This last full week is a killer, big leaps can be made if we put in the work, at least in my situation.

Just shooting for a 10 in each section, so close! I've hit 9 in both BS and PS, but can't break an 8 on Verbal!

Same here. Just want 10's across. Can't break 9's in PS or Verbal yet. AAMC 10 tomorrow so i'm hoping to kill that trend

Hi guys, I'm new on SDN. I'm also taking MCAT on 9/7. I've been stuck at a plateau at 11 on bio and verbal. I was just wondering if you guys have any advice. Best of luck to you all

Same here. Just want 10's across. Can't break 9's in PS or Verbal yet. AAMC 10 tomorrow so i'm hoping to kill that trend

Yeah I'm taking AAMC 10 Saturday and 11 Monday or Tuesday just to have the best practice possible right before test day. Verbal will be hard to bring up in such a short matter of time, I'm sadly coming to terms with it....but who knows adrenaline could kick in and you could surprise yourself or get a passage you're really interested in.

I'm trying to make my biggest leaps in BS by reviewing bio content that gives me trouble and getting orgo more down pat.

Hello everyone, I'm a 9/7 test taker. I'm not a re-taker but I have tackled the MCAT my senior year of college. It's been two years. I've been studying like a mad-woman since May. Now i'm getting anxious and beyond tired. Took a whole week off work to devote to this last week of studying. :(

Power through! You're in the home stretch. People like you (studying for the MCAT while working/going to class) make me feel like I should be scoring higher :( I haven't done anything but study for the MCAT all summer.

Anyone find a good resource to brush up on all topics for the mcat? Maybe a formula sheet.... maybe a guide with bullet points for each topic. I'm just looking to brush up on everything before the exam. Something that shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to review

I am getting a little anxious as well. I work 40+ hrs a week and began my practice tests about 2 weeks ago from kaplans on demand course. I am taking KFL #4 & 5 and AAMC #9 & 3 between tonight and saturday and AAMC #11 on Monday as my final brush up. After Monday, I will probably just do q bank discrete quizzes and watch as many concept videos, regurgitate as much info as possible, and try not to crash. Good luck everyone!

Anyone find a good resource to brush up on all topics for the mcat? Maybe a formula sheet.... maybe a guide with bullet points for each topic. I'm just looking to brush up on everything before the exam. Something that shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to review
Google "physics formulas for MCAT".

Members don't see this ad :)
Next cycle. I'm trying to get this hump out of the way so I can actually focus on my personal statement, clinical research and school work and extracurriculars without completely wanting to kill myself... meh lol

If I screw up on Sept 7 for this exam, I will cry :( I really just want this over already. Sigh. At least I've been averaging 34 with AAMC + Kaplan.. 5 more FL's to go woohoo... -_-

Have you reviewed all of your FLs well to see what your weaknesses are? Try going online and finding review videos on the PS topics!

It's not even the concepts at this point. I'm pretty strong on working out stuff with the concepts I learned. It's mostly come down now to 1) making stupid calculation errors, and 2) misinterpreting information in the passage.

Hopefully I can figure out some way to work out these problems in the next week.

It's not even the concepts at this point. I'm pretty strong on working out stuff with the concepts I learned. It's mostly come down now to 1) making stupid calculation errors, and 2) misinterpreting information in the passage.

Hopefully I can figure out some way to work out these problems in the next week.

Lucky you :(

Haha we're all at different places. Anyway I'm also applying next cycle. I don't want to even think about retaking if this test doesn't go well...but hey at least I've got the opportunity. Got a post-bacc year coming up so have to concentrate on that.

I'm so seriously glad for this thing to be over next week.

Like all of you, I'm worn out and annoyed that my summer got blown out by this thing. It's been a tough calendar year actually, 12 months of non-stop pressure from the academic, EC, and MCAT facets of pre-med life.

I'm so seriously glad for this thing to be over next week.

Like all of you, I'm worn out and annoyed that my summer got blown out by this thing. It's been a tough calendar year actually, 12 months of non-stop pressure from the academic, EC, and MCAT facets of pre-med life.

+1 let's be done with this beast!!!!

Bump. How's everyone doing with only 1 week left until test day?

I know I certainly feel worn out and that there IS always something you can review, but I don't have the same drive anymore haha. Just one more week.

I'm winding down content review today (Gen Chem), tomorrow (Physics), and Tuesday (o-chem). Have my final AAMC practice on Tuesday.

Been reducing alot of effort of Bio based on the feedback I'm hearing.

Wednesday - clinical volunteering (morning), clinical research (afternoon), exercise (evening).

Thursday - Absolutely nothing. Exercise, meditate, think positive, reinforce exam-taking strategy.

Friday - heavy breakfast, then coffee.

Final aamc practice exam at 1 pm today, review exam after, then reinforce as much content as possible tuesday and wednesday, slight review thursday, exam friday...then a) drink heavily, b) jump off the top of a tall building, or c) both a & b

Ughh this sucks...Internet at my new apartment isn't set up yet and most buildings on campus are closed...in the one library that is open, the Internet is screwed and won't let me take my AAMC practice exam >_<

Ughh this sucks...Internet at my new apartment isn't set up yet and most buildings on campus are closed...in the one library that is open, the Internet is screwed and won't let me take my AAMC practice exam >_<

Yeah, I don't think it is our internet. There must be something wrong with AAMC/e-mcat server. 9/11/2012 thread is having the same problem. I can't take test 7.

Anyway...I took it back in july. I didn't do that great, but since then my biggest study method has been to relax and have confidence.

@the 9ps 8vs 9bs guy, I feel you pain on verbal, it's even more annoying because the difference between a 7 and a 10 is only a few questions. As for ps and bs, you just gotta know that the answer is in the passage. Think about it and give it your best guess. It took that type of revelation to put me in 11-12 range for those. I want to do really well, but my stress is a lot lower because I am looking at the mcat as just a speedbump in the application process. I know it has to be done, but whatever happens...happens.

@ocellicyst thank god! I was beginning to get really freaked out and annoyed. I guess we'll just have to wait it out. I'm really hoping to take AAMC 10 and 11 this week before the test as I figure they're the best practice tests out there.

Also, great mindset to have going into the test. Im really trying to have the same confidence as you but it's tough when my practice scores arent exactly where I want them to be. Although I work well under pressure honestly, so I think the adrenaline boost on test day might work in my favor.

Last edited:
Definitely think I'm just gonna use the PDF version, time is running out lol. I would like to use the CBT format but I guess it's not that big a deal, I'll do that for the next one.

Finished my last AAMC exam. I'll look at my mistakes tomorrow, but boy did I not do as well as I wanted on Biology.

only 2 full days left. Boy am I burnt out. I'm up to a point where the past two days I've done nothing but sit and say f it I'm catching up on Breaking Bad. I just want to get this over with because I'm exhausted and almost stopped caring (of course not but it sure does feel that way). Well at least I've heard the words stereospecific and chiral center come up in the dialogue and that Walter White's crystal blue is 99.1% enantiomerically pure. I'm crossing my fingers that it'll come up on the MCAT as a discrete somewhere asking about W.W. Hope everyone is still energetic and not burned up like me =/

Hey guysss. I've been an SDN creep for a while now =P First time posting!

...So after my September 6th date was cancelled by aamc without notice (only saw it last night when I checked on the website) and being on the phone for hours this morning with prometric (who wanted to give me the October 5th back up date)... I finally got bumped to the 7th. Yay!

What are you guys doing to study these last few days left? I just went through all the physics formulas but I am dreading looking over the rest =/

I plan on reviewing my mistakes on AAMC 11 tomorrow and brushing up on Biology. I also plan on coming up with a database for the WS. I'll be taking Thursday off.

Finishing up reviewing notes of science content tonight, and tomorrow. Rework through some verbal passages in EK (already completed every practice passage I have). Probably not going to touch verbal Thursday so I can be fresh for Friday.

Then Review the blatant memorization things Thursday night: hormones, solubility rule exceptions, some spectroscopy numbers, and fungi/protist stuff.

This is my third and final attempt at the MCAT so best of luck guys!

Wow this thread was hard to find... Good luck everyone! In two days we can actually go outside and enjoy life again!!

only 2 full days left. Boy am I burnt out. I'm up to a point where the past two days I've done nothing but sit and say f it I'm catching up on Breaking Bad. I just want to get this over with because I'm exhausted and almost stopped caring (of course not but it sure does feel that way). Well at least I've heard the words stereospecific and chiral center come up in the dialogue and that Walter White's crystal blue is 99.1% enantiomerically pure. I'm crossing my fingers that it'll come up on the MCAT as a discrete somewhere asking about W.W. Hope everyone is still energetic and not burned up like me =/

Yupp, I'm feeling the exact same burn :/ I've definitely hit my wall

In this base. Just finished AAMC #11, which will be my last full-length practice until the real thing. Good luck everyone!

Also did AAMC #11 today and went over it. I rocked BS but didn't do so hot on PS. Going to look over Physics formulas and some general Chem rules and stuff. I have a feeling PS may be the death of me but hey I'm about as ready as I'll ever be since I have a big semester of class work ahead, no more time to put off the MCAT. Will retake next Spring/Summer if I have to.

Also did AAMC #11 today and went over it. I rocked BS but didn't do so hot on PS. Going to look over Physics formulas and some general Chem rules and stuff. I have a feeling PS may be the death of me but hey I'm about as ready as I'll ever be since I have a big semester of class work ahead, no more time to put off the MCAT. Will retake next Spring/Summer if I have to.

PS = evil. It's definitely the section that will break me. It broke me on my first MCAT.

Last day before the exam. What is everyone doing for last minute review? I am planning on doing 1 run through of my kaplan flash cards, review some physics equations and do a couple of vr passages but trying to take it easy so I am fully rested tomorrow! Good luck everyone.

Last day before the exam. What is everyone doing for last minute review? I am planning on doing 1 run through of my kaplan flash cards, review some physics equations and do a couple of vr passages but trying to take it easy so I am fully rested tomorrow! Good luck everyone.

Pretty much doing the same, looking through my Barron's flash cards, reviewing physics equations and some orgo, and doing a few vr passages. Definitely fitting in yoga somewhere too...

Basically the same as you, minus the vr passages... looking over all my bio notes right now (especially hormones, menstrual cycle) and then tonight going over some kaplan flashcards. Good luck everyone!

Super nervous about tomorrow! My weakest areas are physical sciences, especially physics. I took the exam last year without having taken physics 2 (not wise, I know) and did terrible, but now after taking all science courses, I still feel that most of it is knowing the equations, because that's where a lot of knowledge of how the concepts relate comes from. These review books list equations like we should memorize all of them, but the passages sometimes provide the more complex equations. For those of you still reviewing, what do you guys think are the most important equations we should definitely commit to memory?