The Official Anki Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BTW, is there a way to view all the cards? I want to double-check them with my lecture notes in case I forgot to make a card on something.

Members don't see this ad.

BTW, is there a way to view all the cards? I want to double-check them with my lecture notes in case I forgot to make a card on something.

The "Browse" button opens the card browser, and then you just have to click Whole Collection on the left-hand side to bring up all of them.

upload_2014-9-7_17-39-8.png

Haha, well the default setting is like 20 cards per day. And also, I thought it would be good to develop long-term memorization by doing a little each day. However, I do realize that I need to speed it up. I am going to try your setting and see how it works. Do you think your settings should be good for MS-I and MS-II courses (about 5-8 weeks in duration)? I also have a terrible memory, so would your intervals still work?

Long-term memorization isn't really dependent on you limiting the number of cards you do each day. All that matters is that you stick to a trusted spaced-repetition algorithm and do your reviews when they're due.

So... I'm an MS1 now, and so far, so good! Haha, sorry, it's hard to say with confidence that my settings are the ideal protocol, but I haven't found myself forgetting my cards and my review count isn't burdensome at all. Having a terrible memory is subjective, so I *really* can't say whether it'll work for you, but you can give it a try and see how you do.

Last edited:
I feel as if you'd need fewer cards/day if you didn't have SO many steps in your Learning stage. At least in my experience, the Learning stage is the least useful of them all when making your own cards because if you are really grappling with the information in order to make good cards, you've done most of the learning before the card was ever seen.

Wait, I thought my steps were reasonable or at least less leading to fewer reviews than the default learning steps. You consider two steps (ten minutes and two days) to be a lot?

I don't think I could come close to managing all the material I'm responsible for as an MS1 using only 30 cards per day. I still don't spend very much time reviewing the cards I have, though, because I'm careful in how I make my cards and use keyboard shortcuts/gestures on my iPhone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, I thought my steps were reasonable or at least less leading to fewer reviews than the default learning steps. You consider two steps (ten minutes and two days) to be a lot?

I don't think I could come close to managing all the material I'm responsible for as an MS1 using only 30 cards per day. I still don't spend very much time reviewing the cards I have, though, because I'm careful in how I make my cards and use keyboard shortcuts/gestures on my iPhone.
No, you're right, I was reading it wrong. Completely my error on that - reading through the wrong window. I actually use quite similar steps, now that I've re-read.
I concur that 30 is insanely low...I usually set mine in the 100-150 range, but I am a big proponent of setting your requirements low and using 'Custom Study' to increase New/Due limits for a given day. That way, if my motivation is low one day, I still have a small discrete hurdle to tackle and it will get rid of any 'Due' notices, but if I'm feeling ON my game, I can crank out several hundred! I think of it as setting my daily minimum, not my ideal.

And again, sorry for misreading your steps.

Reactions: 1 user
Do most people feel that this alone is enough to study (i.e. attend lectures + make cards)?

Or do you also need to go through lectures to review and/or make your own notes on the lectures?

I think that might be enough to pass. Mastery of the material (to apply concepts for Step 1) and Honors will probably require additional strategies. I'm trying to figure out what those things should be - atm trying implement drawing concept maps on whiteboard, BRS questions, Pre-test questions... not quite sure what to try.

Ha, I think I have the same deck.

What I did is I created a second "active" deck where I move all the cards I'm interested into. So I go into the browser, and, in this case, search for:

tag:"physiology respiratory"

Then I select all the cards that show up in the search results and click Change Deck, then choose the "active" deck. Then I review cards from the "active" deck.

When I do this with your example, I don't end up with any of the anatomy cards in the "active" deck, which is perfect.

What do you think about this?

This worked perfectly, thank you a lot surely!

hey how have you been finding anki for lectures (and for anyone else reading this)?
do you just test yourself on the cards for each lecture, how many cards are you able to go through in a day im having a real hard time doing like 6 lecs worth of cards at once! i have about 50cards for each lec

hey how have you been finding anki for lectures (and for anyone else reading this)?
do you just test yourself on the cards for each lecture, how many cards are you able to go through in a day im having a real hard time doing like 6 lecs worth of cards at once! i have about 50cards for each lec

I love Anki for lecture, but my class is in a ramping-up period where we have less material than normal... that's scheduled to change in two weeks. I do all cards as they're due, regardless of which lecture they came from. It's not an onerous task at all - The first time I'm working with a card, it may take me more time, but once I've seen a card a few times, it takes me hardly any time to do that particular card. On my iPhone, I have swipe gestures set up so that if I swipe upwards, it marks it as Good. If I swipe downwards, it marks it as again. I fly through cards with this method. On my laptop, I use the spacebar and the number keys 1-4 to quickly mark cards as Again, Hard, Good, Easy. I'm making fewer cards than you are, but my stats are as follows:

upload_2014-9-10_7-18-7.png

upload_2014-9-10_7-17-57.png

Three important numbers from that figure: On average, I review 145.1 cards per day, which takes me on average 46.3 minutes per day, or 19 seconds per card. And that's using ACTIVE RECALL. I couldn't cover that much ground that quickly if I skimmed a textbook, and even if I could, that would be passive.

Can others go ahead and post their Anki statistics? I'd love to see them! If you don't know how to get to them, there's a little button that looks like a graph in the upper bar toward the right:

upload_2014-9-10_7-22-31.png

I love Anki for lecture, but my class is in a ramping-up period where we have less material than normal... that's scheduled to change in two weeks. I do all cards as they're due, regardless of which lecture they came from. It's not an onerous task at all - The first time I'm working with a card, it may take me more time, but once I've seen a card a few times, it takes me hardly any time to do that particular card. On my iPhone, I have swipe gestures set up so that if I swipe upwards, it marks it as Good. If I swipe downwards, it marks it as again. I fly through cards with this method. On my laptop, I use the spacebar and the number keys 1-4 to quickly mark cards as Again, Hard, Good, Easy. I'm making fewer cards than you are, but my stats are as follows:

View attachment 185364
View attachment 185363

Three important numbers from that figure: On average, I review 145.1 cards per day, which takes me on average 46.3 minutes per day, or 19 seconds per card. And that's using ACTIVE RECALL. I couldn't cover that much ground that quickly if I skimmed a textbook, and even if I could, that would be passive.

Can others go ahead and post their Anki statistics? I'd love to see them! If you don't know how to get to them, there's a little button that looks like a graph in the upper bar toward the right:

View attachment 185365

WAIT WHAT DID I READ that right!! 145 cards in 46.3 mins?
thats insanely good dude! do you use cloze or question/answer basic for all of them, if the latter how long are your Q/A?

WAIT WHAT DID I READ that right!! 145 cards in 46.3 mins?
thats insanely good dude! do you use cloze or question/answer basic for all of them, if the latter how long are your Q/A?

80% cloze and 20% image occlusion. I really hate question/answer. :D I'm a lady, btw.

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone provide more insight on review settings? I'm completely lost as to what will be adequate to get a timely review of the cards being made if exams are a month away.

I'm using Brosencephalons deck for microbiology and I'm at around 5 cards/min.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a recommend gross anatomy deck available anyone knows about? I'm making my own obviously but it wouldn't hurt to see how someone else structured there's

80% cloze and 20% image occlusion. I really hate question/answer. :D I'm a lady, btw.

ah sorry! haha
I want to use cloze for my next module, for my current one I used Q/A and tbh it works alright but is a little tricky and takes a bit of time to make sure you cover all the material using Q/A..
Would it be alright for me to have a look at some of your lecture/module decks? e.g. path etc so I can get some inspiration :D?

also what are some of the negatives you've encountered using mostly cloze deletions? do you find it easy to synthesise the material in your head during exams in an organised fashion?

ah sorry! haha
I want to use cloze for my next module, for my current one I used Q/A and tbh it works alright but is a little tricky and takes a bit of time to make sure you cover all the material using Q/A..
Would it be alright for me to have a look at some of your lecture/module decks? e.g. path etc so I can get some inspiration :D?

also what are some of the negatives you've encountered using mostly cloze deletions? do you find it easy to synthesise the material in your head during exams in an organised fashion?

I'm a first year who's only four weeks into the program, so I haven't covered any real pathology... Because my school's doing a ramping-up program, I only have cards for very introductory lectures to embryo, neuroanatomy, microbio, and population epidemiology. In a week and a half, we transition to a full-fledged anatomy block that lasts a few months. Anyway, my cloze creation process is basically: take a sentence or two directly from the PowerPoint, clean up the phrasing a little, cloze out the words of interest, done. So the cards aren't perfect but it's a balancing act between card quality and time devoted to creating them. If you still want to see my deck so far, message me your email. I don't think you'll find anything special - the 20 rules for formulating knowledge page is a much better resource.

For exams, it's helpful if you can get ahold of practice questions to evaluate your understanding of the material. The reality is that I'm retaining nearly everything that gets put into an Anki card, but if I misunderstood some of the material in the process, I can't identify that until a test calls me out on it. That's not a limitation of cloze deletion per se, but rather something I'd struggle with regardless of my study method. At the same time, I'm still getting used to med school and I may find out my system falls apart in a few weeks, so I don't have the long term data to say Anki will be an entirely successful strategy for me (much less anyone else!).

Is there a recommend gross anatomy deck available anyone knows about? I'm making my own obviously but it wouldn't hurt to see how someone else structured there's

Bump this, and I was also wondering...sometimes when I'm reviewing and go back to decks, some of the reviews disappear. Does this happen to anyone else and why?!

For example, lets say i have 500 green reviews, I'll click to go back to decks to take a break or something and now it show only 498 or 496 reviews or something similar. Only happens sometimes, and its nothing to do with relearns or anything like that because I've checked and added them as well

thanks

Does anyone have some decks for m1 they wouldn't mind sharing? I'm really liking using anki, but I'm a bit anki illiterate. Please let me know. Thanks

Does anyone have some decks for m1 they wouldn't mind sharing? I'm really liking using anki, but I'm a bit anki illiterate. Please let me know. Thanks

If you're working on a PC do this
1) Put Front of notecard into Excel column A, put Back into column B. Repeat for more cards
2) Save file as Text Tab Delineated
3) Open file in Notepad
4) save file as UTF-8 under type not format

Now you can upload this file directly to Anki. I usually type Q n A into excel during podcasts and end up uploading 50-150 notecards per day very easily.

so, is there a faster way to add pics? I just created a ton of cards from excel, but it sounds like a huge time devotion to go through each card and add pics. The pics I want are just from the powerpoints out of which i made the cards. So, is there a way to add the pic into excel so it shows up when I import it into anki?

Last edited:
If you're working on a PC do this
1) Put Front of notecard into Excel column A, put Back into column B. Repeat for more cards
2) Save file as Text Tab Delineated
3) Open file in Notepad
4) save file as UTF-8 under type not format

Now you can upload this file directly to Anki. I usually type Q n A into excel during podcasts and end up uploading 50-150 notecards per day very easily.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to put in excel first? Why not just type straight into Anki? Takes same amount of time as far as typing info in.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to put in excel first? Why not just type straight into Anki? Takes same amount of time as far as typing info in.
There must be a reason, or I just wasted a lot of time lol

It's a hassle to make individual cards for me during intensive lectures, excel feels a lot nicer.

But the primary reason is so you can look at all the cards you just made before you put them in, see if you missed some important stuff, or add more cards to emphasize certain things.

It's a hassle to make individual cards for me during intensive lectures, excel feels a lot nicer.

But the primary reason is so you can look at all the cards you just made before you put them in, see if you missed some important stuff, or add more cards to emphasize certain things.

There is a browse option which lets you see all the cards you made. That's what I tend to use.

If you use Google Drive's spreadsheet functionality instead of Excel's, you can have multiple people collaboratively creating cards at the same time. Useful if you can get a couple of classmates to create cards during lecture - less work for each individual and less chance of you somehow missing an important piece of knowledge. Once you're done editing, export the spreadsheet as a .csv and then import it to Anki.

Obviously this will be more effective if you have everyone on the same page, so to speak. Your group needs to be able to create cards that follow the 20 rules of formulating knowledge, and use tags consistently, and blah blah blah. Anki also won't let you import a spreadsheet that has a mix of Basic and Cloze type cards, so you need to stick with one or the other. Since cloze deletion is my favorite thing ever, I made an autohotkey script that mimics Anki's cloze deletion keyboard shortcut to make it easy to create cloze type cards in Excel/Google Sheets.

Fingers crossed that this strategy will prove useful for my groupmates and me. :D

I'm a first year who's only four weeks into the program, so I haven't covered any real pathology... Because my school's doing a ramping-up program, I only have cards for very introductory lectures to embryo, neuroanatomy, microbio, and population epidemiology. In a week and a half, we transition to a full-fledged anatomy block that lasts a few months. Anyway, my cloze creation process is basically: take a sentence or two directly from the PowerPoint, clean up the phrasing a little, cloze out the words of interest, done. So the cards aren't perfect but it's a balancing act between card quality and time devoted to creating them. If you still want to see my deck so far, message me your email. I don't think you'll find anything special - the 20 rules for formulating knowledge page is a much better resource.

For exams, it's helpful if you can get ahold of practice questions to evaluate your understanding of the material. The reality is that I'm retaining nearly everything that gets put into an Anki card, but if I misunderstood some of the material in the process, I can't identify that until a test calls me out on it. That's not a limitation of cloze deletion per se, but rather something I'd struggle with regardless of my study method. At the same time, I'm still getting used to med school and I may find out my system falls apart in a few weeks, so I don't have the long term data to say Anki will be an entirely successful strategy for me (much less anyone else!).

hey surely! thanks for that, sorry for the late reply just got done with an exam!
the exam went ok but I think i'm going to switch to cloze aswell! i made one lecture completely cloze and to be honest it stuck a lot better, the issue with only Q/A is that sometimes you material in a way that only triggers your memory of it if you see the question asked in a specific way. the other issue was i spent an insane amount of time revising lectures i had already done (like on the 5th pass it still took me 40-1hr per lecture.. lol) however the one cloze lecture i made took me 20 mins..
i still love the testing aspect of anki so im def going to try cloze only for my next exam !

Just one question how do you learn lists using cloze? I tried the only making one component of the list blank for each card method but I didnt like it too much

If you use Google Drive's spreadsheet functionality instead of Excel's, you can have multiple people collaboratively creating cards at the same time. Useful if you can get a couple of classmates to create cards during lecture - less work for each individual and less chance of you somehow missing an important piece of knowledge. Once you're done editing, export the spreadsheet as a .csv and then import it to Anki.

Obviously this will be more effective if you have everyone on the same page, so to speak. Your group needs to be able to create cards that follow the 20 rules of formulating knowledge, and use tags consistently, and blah blah blah. Anki also won't let you import a spreadsheet that has a mix of Basic and Cloze type cards, so you need to stick with one or the other. Since cloze deletion is my favorite thing ever, I made an autohotkey script that mimics Anki's cloze deletion keyboard shortcut to make it easy to create cloze type cards in Excel/Google Sheets.

Fingers crossed that this strategy will prove useful for my groupmates and me. :D

Geez, this is my dream! I have not been able to find people who use Anki in my class to do with this with. Some people seem to use it for anatomy but that's it. :(

Does anyone know how to import a data table into anki? Essentially, I would like to import a chart of information into anki and have anki asking me questions from this chart by blanking out parts of the table. More or less image occlusion, but using a data table rather than an image.

Just one question how do you learn lists using cloze? I tried the only making one component of the list blank for each card method but I didnt like it too much

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for this one. I just make a card that says "Exposure to sarin gas results in {{c1::salivation, lacrimation, urination, defecation, emesis, and miosis::6 things}}." The ::6 things at the end shows up as a hint... keeps me from spending all day trying to think of a 7th item for a list of 6.

Geez, this is my dream! I have not been able to find people who use Anki in my class to do with this with. Some people seem to use it for anatomy but that's it. :(

I'm still recruiting people, so it remains to be seen how successful this little project will be, but I'm optimistic! Even if it ends up just being me and one other person, it'll be a big help.

Does anyone know how to import a data table into anki? Essentially, I would like to import a chart of information into anki and have anki asking me questions from this chart by blanking out parts of the table. More or less image occlusion, but using a data table rather than an image.

You can do this by creating a custom note type with multiple fields... One field for each column, various card types to prompt you for the missing information while supplying you the information from the other fields. Terribly difficult to explain in text, unfortunately, so I recommend that you look for a video tutorial. If you can't figure it out, maybe just do it using image occlusion and a screenshot of the table - might make it a bit quicker. Also, I love your username! Parks and Rec, right?

This board needs more Anki. Currently going through Brosencephalons deck now, and adding various things to it as I see fit.

Reactions: 1 users
I finished my first block of school and still have all my cards so I put them all in one "Block 1" deck. Does anyone know how to get those off my main Anki page (to prevent mobile app delays) while still keeping the cards?

Thanks

I finished my first block of school and still have all my cards so I put them all in one "Block 1" deck. Does anyone know how to get those off my main Anki page (to prevent mobile app delays) while still keeping the cards?

Thanks

I would export the deck, save a copy on Dropbox, save another copy on email, and save a copy on my computer. Make sure you check the checkbox that says something like "retain scheduling information," if that's important to you. Then delete the deck.

Has anyone been having trouble with image occlusion lately? It's been working on my computer, but on mobile devices (iPad & iPhone) the occlusions show up without the actual images. Rumor has it this is related to the latest update; if anyone's found a fix I'd love to hear it.

Has anyone been having trouble with image occlusion lately? It's been working on my computer, but on mobile devices (iPad & iPhone) the occlusions show up without the actual images. Rumor has it this is related to the latest update; if anyone's found a fix I'd love to hear it.

I'm not having that problem, and am using the latest updated version of Image Occlusion (which is way slower than it used to be). Are you using the iPhone and iPad app, or the mobile browser interface?

Welp, I'm having that problem now, which is weird. I've been using the most updated version of the Image Occlusion add-on for the past few weeks, and only today did it start being an issue with the iPhone app. Strangely, Image Occlusion cards created prior to this week are displaying normally, but my recently-created ones are not. I have my iPhone app set to auto-update when new app versions are available, so maybe that changed recently, but it doesn't make a lot of sense, given the behavior... Anyone know how to submit a bug report?

How is image occlusion different than simply copying and pasting images? Is it used to hide labels?

How is image occlusion different than simply copying and pasting images? Is it used to hide labels?

Yes, exactly. There are some great tutorial videos on YouTube that demonstrate its awesomeness. I'm replying by phone or I'd share links.

Welp, I'm having that problem now, which is weird. I've been using the most updated version of the Image Occlusion add-on for the past few weeks, and only today did it start being an issue with the iPhone app. Strangely, Image Occlusion cards created prior to this week are displaying normally, but my recently-created ones are not. I have my iPhone app set to auto-update when new app versions are available, so maybe that changed recently, but it doesn't make a lot of sense, given the behavior... Anyone know how to submit a bug report?

Hmm... sorry to hear that you're having problems now too, but I'm glad it's not just me! Couldn't figure out how to submit a formal bug report, but I started a thread about it in the add-ons section of the official Anki support forum. If there are any useful responses I'll report back.

I think I fixed it, but I think I also know how I broke it, too. Because of the way I broke it, I somehow doubt we had the same issue, but here's what I did:

How I broke it:
I went into the Browser and was displeased with the way that the first field that's displayed is the Question rather than the Original Image. That makes it way more annoying to find the right card if you want to make an edit! So I clicked the Fields button and selected Original Image and hit Reposition, putting Original Image in position 1. This is what it looked like when I was making that change:

upload_2014-10-17_20-22-44.png

This was apparently a TERRIBLE idea, because the Image Occlusion add-on is reliant on the fields being in their specific original order to work. So every new Image Occlusion card I created after making that change was completely borked. Not only did they display incorrectly on my iPhone app, but I discovered today that they also displayed incorrectly on my computer.

So I'll say this: If your cards are displaying normally on your computer, your issue is DIFFERENT from mine, and you can stop reading lol.

How I fixed it for new cards:

I went back to the Fields menu and repositioned it so that the order is Question, Answer, SVG, Original Image, Header, Footer.

How I fixed it for old cards:

In the Anki Browser window, I selected all the cards that were screwed up and went to Edit -> Change Note Type. I clicked the button next to New Note Type, then clicked Manage, then clicked Add, then clicked Clone: Image Q/A - 2.0, then clicked OK and named it. Now you select that as the new note type and change the fields... You kind of have to play around to figure out which one needs to be moved.

Anyway, hopefully this long rambly explanation helps you? Let me know! If it doesn't work and you want to upload some sample questions to this thread, I can try troubleshooting the problem. Also see if it's an issue on the desktop client or not.

Hmm... sorry to hear that you're having problems now too, but I'm glad it's not just me! Couldn't figure out how to submit a formal bug report, but I started a thread about it in the add-ons section of the official Anki support forum. If there are any useful responses I'll report back.

Anyway, hopefully this long rambly explanation helps you? Let me know! If it doesn't work and you want to upload some sample questions to this thread, I can try troubleshooting the problem. Also see if it's an issue on the desktop client or not.

Mine seems like it's working now, although I have no idea how I fixed it! I noticed today that the image occlusion cards that had been fine in the desktop client were no longer displaying properly. I deleted them all, re-created a few as an experiment... and they are showing up perfectly on the desktop client and in the mobile app. Weird. The add-on is useful and I'm glad that it's working, but I will definitely be wary of how heavily I rely on image occlusion...

Hey guys, quick question. I'm about to start a new block and wanted to use Anki more effectively this time. What settings or adjustments can I make to the program, so I can get an adequate number of passes with the cards that I make. The default settings, IMO are a bit spaced out and I'm looking to master the cards in 4 weeks. Thanks!

Is there anyway to create a custom study session by tag across all decks? I marked all the cards I am having trouble with across multiple decks and just want to review those without going into each deck. I would rather avoid moving them all to a single deck because then it will be a pain to sort through them to move them back to the original decks if I need to. Thanks!

Is there anyway to create a custom study session by tag across all decks? I marked all the cards I am having trouble with across multiple decks and just want to review those without going into each deck. I would rather avoid moving them all to a single deck because then it will be a pain to sort through them to move them back to the original decks if I need to. Thanks!

I'm sure there's a way, but the work-around that I just came up with would be to tag all the cards in each deck with the name of the deck (maybe like "decknameExam1", "decknameExam2", etc.), then move them into a single deck, do your custom study session, and finally use the deck name tag to move them back to their original decks easily without having to sort through them manually.

Thanks for the tip. What I ended up doing was create a new deck and move all my decks under that one so they are now sub-decks (just drag & drop them on to the top deck in the main screen). Then it's possible to create a custom study session across all sub-decks using the top level deck without having to change decks the cards are assigned to. Anki sure is awesome!

Anyone know of a great anki deck for step 2 studying throughout the year? Something that is comprehensive (like Uworld, MTB, and step 1 facts) that I could use? I really need to kill step 2 so was wondering if that existed.

Thanks!

upload_2014-11-2_17-18-11.png

Above is a screenshot of a current study session which I took out of my "Genetics" deck.

My question is this: When I go to build a new one (100 random cards), it doesn't take 100 cards out of the Genetics deck. It takes much less (like ~50), but still builds a new deck totaling 100 cards! I end up doing a ton of cards and seeing duplicates. I checked on the ones which I saw multiple times, and there is only 1 note of them! It's bringing up cards with the same exact clozes, so it's not like it's just giving me related cards.

Anyone know what's going on here? o_O

View attachment 186685

Above is a screenshot of a current study session which I took out of my "Genetics" deck.

My question is this: When I go to build a new one (100 random cards), it doesn't take 100 cards out of the Genetics deck. It takes much less (like ~50), but still builds a new deck totaling 100 cards! I end up doing a ton of cards and seeing duplicates. I checked on the ones which I saw multiple times, and there is only 1 note of them! It's bringing up cards with the same exact clozes, so it's not like it's just giving me related cards.

Anyone know what's going on here? o_O

I know this is tedious, but it might make troubleshooting easier if you showed us screenshots of every step of the process of you building that custom deck.